Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dane Brugler's 7 Round Mock (The Athletic)

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Link

Here are the Texans selections:

1 (2): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
1 (12): Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
2 (33): Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
3 (65): Zacch Pickens, DT, South Carolina
3 (73): Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane
4 (104): Davis Allen, TE, Clemson
5 (161): Rejzohn Wright, CB, Oregon State
6 (188): Andrew Vorhees, G, USC
6 (201): Cam Jones, LB, Indiana
6 (203): Jaquelin Roy, DT, LSU
7 (230): Olu Oluwatimi, C, Michigan
7 (259): Gervarrius Owens, S, Houston

Brugler hasn't quit yet on the Texans going QB. There's a lot to like about this draft. I didn't like waiting so long for a Center, but I like Oluwatimi. I think he's more of a 4th round pick.

Link

Here are the Texans selections:

1 (2): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
1 (12): Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
2 (33): Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
3 (65): Zacch Pickens, DT, South Carolina
3 (73): Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane
4 (104): Davis Allen, TE, Clemson
5 (161): Rejzohn Wright, CB, Oregon State
6 (188): Andrew Vorhees, G, USC
6 (201): Cam Jones, LB, Indiana
6 (203): Jaquelin Roy, DT, LSU
7 (230): Olu Oluwatimi, C, Michigan
7 (259): Gervarrius Owens, S, Houston

Brugler hasn't quit yet on the Texans going QB. There's a lot to like about this draft. I didn't like waiting so long for a Center, but I like Oluwatimi. I think he's more of a 4th round pick.

Listened to Athletic podcast yesterday with him going over his 7 round mock.
His grasp of each years draft class is more broken down in “The Beast” where he breaks down 401 scouting reports, ranking 1,893 prospects. In beginning I subscribed to Ourlads Scouting services, both in very good detail, just that Dane more in mainstream of events and highly recommend subscribing to Athletic for far more content year round covering all sports.

He does use every NFL contact he has, along with visits, pro days, Senior Bowl contacts anything he can dig up associated with specific teams interest in players. Then like everyone else matches team needs to his player grades and fits them to best scenarios. But in the end, all are just educated guesses, nobody is perfect.

Having said all that, I’m not crazy about his Texan Mock. Focus on QB I’m fine with, but Texans need more polished, high floor prospects, who can raise ceilings because of fit into DeMeco and Slowick roster building. Don’t get hung up on measurements, unless it’s the mind or heart. High motor, high character and team first, competitive, with at least one elite skill set.

Caserio is nothing without great coaching and leadership to help guide and identify best fits (BPA). Fully believe he can execute process, like a Terminator but it’s all in how DeMeco can upgrade his software & programming. He won’t stop, until his directive is achieved.

Having said all that, I’m not crazy about his Texan Mock. Focus on QB I’m fine with, but Texans need more polished, high floor prospects, who can raise ceilings because of fit into DeMeco and Slowick roster building. Don’t get hung up on measurements, unless it’s the mind or heart. High motor, high character and team first, competitive, with at least one elite skill set.
I don't see a lot of projects in this mock. Murphy is an accomplished edge at a big time school. Johnston is a productive WR that balled out in the semifinal win against Michigan. Pickens a 4 year SEC performer. I see a lot of guys that produced, not necessarily workout warriors.

I don't see a lot of projects in this mock. Murphy is an accomplished edge at a big time school. Johnston is a productive WR that balled out in the semifinal win against Michigan. Pickens a 4 year SEC performer. I see a lot of guys that produced, not necessarily workout warriors.

Same as you dinged CB Witherspoon as penalty prone and Emmauuel Forbes as too thin and slight of frame (forget about their accomplishments on field) Murphy and Johnston are high trait projections base more on measureables. Murphy is still raw, like his upside but needs development, Johnston route tree and hands are big question marks. I have none about Witherspoon ability to disrupt routes, make big plays and lead by example, Forbes will be elite ballhawk someone will move around in secondary, has elite length and speed who has 30 INTS between High School and College, every level in 6 years.

Same as you dinged CB Witherspoon as penalty prone and Emmauuel Forbes as too thin and slight of frame (forget about their accomplishments on field) Murphy and Johnston are high trait projections base more on measureables. Murphy is still raw, like his upside but needs development, Johnston route tree and hands are big question marks. I have none about Witherspoon ability to disrupt routes, make big plays and lead by example, Forbes will be elite ballhawk someone will move around in secondary, has elite length and speed who has 30 INTS between High School and College, every level in 6 years.
Beware of overlooking or downgrading QJ.
Max Duggans passer rating was 102.5 when throwing to him.
This from nfldraftbuzz.com
  • Very good hands accepts the ball fluidly on most throws and is ready to make a play afterward. Makes catches in traffic, even going up over taller defenders with vertical and toughness.
  • A savvy, natural pass-catcher with reliable hands and very good focus. Snatches the ball out of the air and shows the concentration to make acrobatic catches look easy.
  • He’s equally dangerous in catch-and-run situations as he is taking the top off a defense.
Has run a 4.4 40.

Don’t need to repeat his profile, I’m well aware and have studied most of this WR class. The Cornerback class is heads and shoulders above (positional value grades).

Texans drafted Metchie III 2nd rd. giving up first round capital, so why do Texans have to select WR #33 when they already have one in house?

Johnston route tree and hands (catch point or contested) is a work in progress. Talk to me about Tillman, Mims or Rice in that order 3rd rd. if we want that big X Wr.

Priority should be to support Stingley so they can switch up match-ups, stack & shed off switches and create havoc for a QB to read. Elite traits, ball hawking and more press cover.

Don’t need to repeat his profile, I’m well aware and have studied most of this WR class. The Cornerback class is heads and shoulders above (positional value grades).

Texans drafted Metchie III 2nd rd. giving up first round capital, so why do Texans have to select WR #33 when they already have one in house?

Johnston route tree and hands (catch point or contested) is a work in progress. Talk to me about Tillman, Mims or Rice in that order 3rd rd. if we want that big X Wr.

Priority should be to support Stingley so they can switch up match-ups, stack & shed off switches and create havoc for a QB to read. Elite traits, ball hawking and more press cover.
Depends how Metchie is progressing, and he is still untested in the NFL.
Right now Texans don't have a #1 receiver - Johnson has WR1 potential so an insurance pick is wise, but granted, not essential.
Would be nice to have another outlet for a rookie passer.

Depends how Metchie is progressing, and he is still untested in the NFL.
Right now Texans don't have a #1 receiver - Johnson has WR1 potential so an insurance pick is wise, but granted, not essential.
Would be nice to have another outlet for a rookie passer.
You're assuming there will be a rookie passer

It may be nit-picking but that was James Palmer saying Houston would draft a QB at 2. DeMeco said there was 2 quality QB's and "let's see what happens in the draft".

"I know Bryce is an outstanding leader from what I've seen, and is an outstanding quarterback," Ryans said March 28, via Houston's 790 AM. "It's no surprise the success that he's had. Just because of the makeup, the type of guy that he is, it's no surprise the success he's had. Wishing him the best moving forward. Two good players, two good quality quarterbacks. We'll see what happens in the draft."

It may be nit-picking but that was James Palmer saying Houston would draft a QB at 2. DeMeco said there was 2 quality QB's and "let's see what happens in the draft".

"I know Bryce is an outstanding leader from what I've seen, and is an outstanding quarterback," Ryans said March 28, via Houston's 790 AM. "It's no surprise the success that he's had. Just because of the makeup, the type of guy that he is, it's no surprise the success he's had. Wishing him the best moving forward. Two good players, two good quality quarterbacks. We'll see what happens in the draft."
There are several articles along these lines by varying writers/reporters.

Why not?

If they're taking a QB & don't care which, what difference does it make?
We believe both Young and Stroud are excellent fine young men who could be the face of the Texans for many years. We will take one of them at 1.2. Thank you for attending this meeting.

Your choice of:
Demeco or
Nick or
Cal or
Hanna

We believe both Young and Stroud are excellent fine young men who could be the face of the Texans for many years. We will take one of them at 1.2. Thank you for attending this meeting.

Your choice of:
Demeco or
Nick or
Cal or
Hanna
That's what I'd say.

Metchie is a slot coming off cancer treatments. Johnston is an x who can also make contested back shoulder catches. I like Mims even though he's smallish. Tillman is like Nico and Rice is neither in terms of upside.

Metchie is a slot coming off cancer treatments. Johnston is an x who can also make contested back shoulder catches. I like Mims even though he's smallish. Tillman is like Nico and Rice is neither in terms of upside.
Caserio-
"Ultimately the most important thing is for a player to be ready for training camp. So, I’d say John has definitely made a lot of progress and is in a pretty good spot, and we’ll see how much progress he can continue to make here over the course of the spring."

Considering Johnston size/speed traits he struggles with contested catches. That’s the issue, plus more of a body catcher instead of hand catcher. Agree on Mims but already have Metchie, unless he has set-back then sure. Tillman is way better than Nico, very smart, creates windows with effort to finish. Rice is also a terrific returner, hard to find and can expand role in receiver room.

Caserio-
"Ultimately the most important thing is for a player to be ready for training camp. So, I’d say John has definitely made a lot of progress and is in a pretty good spot, and we’ll see how much progress he can continue to make here over the course of the spring."

Considering Johnston size/speed traits he struggles with contested catches. That’s the issue, plus more of a body catcher instead of hand catcher. Agree on Mims but already have Metchie, unless he has set-back then sure. Tillman is way better than Nico, very smart, creates windows with effort to finish. Rice is also a terrific returner, hard to find and can expand role in receiver room.
Totally disagree with your assessment of QJ.
He makes a lot of hand catches as well if you watch his highlights and a lot of receivers make body catches - they are a safe catch and serve to secure the ball quicker. You have heard of the breadbasket right?
He also makes contested catches and I have also seen a circus catch.
He is the best WR in this class on many boards for a reason.

Caserio-

Mims despite his size is an outside wr. Metchie is a slot.

Mims despite his size is an outside wr. Metchie is a slot.
He plays bigger than his size, but still on the small size which is a theme for this WR class. There are several smaller WR’s in this draft, amongst them he might have best chance kicking outside. Great hands & technique.

Totally disagree with your assessment of QJ.
He makes a lot of hand catches as well if you watch his highlights and a lot of receivers make body catches - they are a safe catch and serve to secure the ball quicker. You have heard of the breadbasket right?
He also makes contested catches and I have also seen a circus catch.
He is the best WR in this class on many boards for a reason.

I like what QJ does after the catch, he is actually pretty shifty spinning around and making people miss as soon as he makes the catch. Kinda fun to watch him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back