Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dabo Swinney, it’s time!

Who was the last big time college football coach to be successful? Kelly, Saben, and Spurrier did nothing of note. Jimmy Johnson maybe?
If Jim Harbaugh counts.
He had tons of NFL experience as a player, but that's about as close as it gets. Pete Carroll was good in the NFL before he went to USC.

I would never hire a college coach who doesn't have significant NFL experience. It's an even bigger failure rate than hiring an NFL guy.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Who was the last big time college football coach to be successful? Kelly, Saben, and Spurrier did nothing of note. Jimmy Johnson maybe?

He had tons of NFL experience as a player, but that's about as close as it gets. Pete Carroll was good in the NFL before he went to USC.

I would never hire a college coach who doesn't have significant NFL experience. It's an even bigger failure rate than hiring an NFL guy.
The NFL is changing. Offenses are incorporating more and more college style plays. Hiring college coaches who are offensive minded will become a trend. Just watch.

It's always been a trend. It's rarely successful. Spurrier and Kelly were both college innovators and threw the ball all over the place. Not exactly promising.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Dabo is never going to leave college. You can see just how much he loves helping grow the boys he recruits into young men. He has said it numerous times that that is the most rewarding part of the job for him. You don't get to do that in the NFL

badboy

Hall of Fame
Dabo is never going to leave college. You can see just how much he loves helping grow the boys he recruits into young men. He has said it numerous times that that is the most rewarding part of the job for him. You don't get to do that in the NFL
I would think guiding 21 to 25 (Texans avg age 25) would qualify growing young men.

mussop

Hall of Fame
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/08/hypothetical-dabo-swinney-clemson-coach-texans/amp/

Hypothetical: What if Dabo Swinney left Clemson to coach the Texans?

With the Houston Rockets currently in the middle of the biggest series of their year against the Golden State Warriors, Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney made a surprise appearance at the Toyota Center in Houston on Saturday night to see Houston’s first victory in the series.

Swinney caught the eye of the media when he turned up wearing a Houston Texans shirt to the game. This may just be a nod to some of his most successful Clemson products Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins who both play for the Texans. However, openly promoting an NFL team when you’ve had players drafted all over the league is quite the statement.

This raises an interesting question; is Swinney targeting the Texans head coaching job? And are Houston keeping tabs on him?

There can be no denying that pressure has been mounting on Bill O’Brien for the past couple of years. Despite the fact he has coached the Texans to just one losing season in five years and won three AFC South titles, he has yet to make it past the divisional round of the playoffs. And with many players in this current lineup well in their primes such as J.J. Watt and DeAndre Hopkins, fans are eager for O’Brien to get the most out of this side while he still can.

Perhaps Swinney believes that he can be the guy to get the most out of this lineup, a level of confidence you couldn’t criticize given his

mussop

Hall of Fame
I really hope OB kills it this year. But if he doesn’t, it’s time to move on. I don’t care if we have a tough schedule against a lot of top QBs. We have a top QB now and I want to see the team perform like they should.

Dabo sure would be a nice replacement if OB doesn’t workout.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/08/hypothetical-dabo-swinney-clemson-coach-texans/amp/

Hypothetical: What if Dabo Swinney left Clemson to coach the Texans?

With the Houston Rockets currently in the middle of the biggest series of their year against the Golden State Warriors, Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney made a surprise appearance at the Toyota Center in Houston on Saturday night to see Houston’s first victory in the series.

Swinney caught the eye of the media when he turned up wearing a Houston Texans shirt to the game. This may just be a nod to some of his most successful Clemson products Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins who both play for the Texans. However, openly promoting an NFL team when you’ve had players drafted all over the league is quite the statement.

This raises an interesting question; is Swinney targeting the Texans head coaching job? And are Houston keeping tabs on him?

There can be no denying that pressure has been mounting on Bill O’Brien for the past couple of years. Despite the fact he has coached the Texans to just one losing season in five years and won three AFC South titles, he has yet to make it past the divisional round of the playoffs. And with many players in this current lineup well in their primes such as J.J. Watt and DeAndre Hopkins, fans are eager for O’Brien to get the most out of this side while he still can.

Perhaps Swinney believes that he can be the guy to get the most out of this lineup, a level of confidence you couldn’t criticize given his
That conclusion seems to be a real stretch. A good friend of mine who follows Dabo has told me that when "touring" different cities for recruiting pr purposes, he will wear local teams' shirts.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Here's what I hang my hat on for Sweeney, he has to win every game as does Sabin or he's displeasing fans and alumni. He's been great so far but lots of pressure. Great pressure in NFL, but as Texans coach he could lose 4-5 each season two to three years and build this team better and disappoint few. Dabo is a builder including coaching staff. CAL can pay him $10 million a year with no sweat. A side note, a few of his former players have the bull in helmets. One more season and Cals jet should be bringing a new coach to H'town.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
This is all very fascinating but seems to ignore one simple question. Why would they replace Bill O’Brien? I mean I know some on here think he is the worst thing to hit Houston that doesn’t have Category 4 or 5 used to describe it but clearly the Texans FO and the McNairs in particular disagree at least for now.

Also hate to tell you this but as far as NFL coach records go his is pretty good. Multiple division titles and only one losing season. I know that means nothing to many on here but in the NFL world that’s a good record. So again I ask, why should they do it?

From the Texans point of view it makes little to no sense unless they wanted O’Brien gone which clearly they don’t right now.

mws

Rookie
I'm a numbers guy so here is a list of all the head coaches in the league with 5 or more years coaching and their win\loss record. As a side note I was surprised to find only 13 out of 32 coaches had 5 or more years as a head coach under their belts.

Bill Belichick - 261\123\0 .680
Mike Tomlin - 125\66\1 .654
Bruce Arians - 49\30\1 .619
Sean Payton - 118\74\0 .615
Andy Reid - 195\124\1 .611
Mike Zimmer - 47\32\1 .594
John Harbaugh - 104\72\0 .591
Pete Carroll - 121\85\1 .587
Jason Garrett - 77\59\0 .566
Ron Rivera - 71\56\1 .559
Bill O'Brien - 42\38\0 .525
Jon Gruden - 98\93\0 .513
Jay Gruden - 35\44\1 .444

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Bill Belichick - 261\123\0 .680 - 6 Lombardi trophies
Mike Tomlin - 125\66\1 .654 - 1 Lombardi
Bruce Arians - 49\30\1 .619 - 1 Conf. Champ. game
Sean Payton - 118\74\0 .615 - 1 Lombardi
Andy Reid - 195\124\1 .611 - 1 CC (KC), 5 CC, 1 SB (Phi)
Mike Zimmer - 47\32\1 .594 - 1 CC
John Harbaugh - 104\72\0 .591 - 1 Lombardi
Pete Carroll - 121\85\1 .587 - 1 Lombardi, 2 SB
Jason Garrett - 77\59\0 .566 - never past 2nd round
Ron Rivera - 71\56\1 .559 - 1 SB
Bill O'Brien - 42\38\0 .525 - never past 2nd round
Jon Gruden - 98\93\0 .513 - 1 Lombardi (TB), 1 CC (Oak)
Jay Gruden - 35\44\1 .444 - never past 1st round

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Also hate to tell you this but as far as NFL coach records go his is pretty good. Multiple division titles and only one losing season. I know that means nothing to many on here but in the NFL world that’s a good record. So again I ask, why should they do it?

From the Texans point of view it makes little to no sense unless they wanted O’Brien gone which clearly they don’t right now.
I love using winning seasons & division championships to defend my under performing HC. But it's all window dressing, eye candy... a diversion.

How many times have we beaten the Colts with a healthy QB? How many times were we embarrassed at home in the playoffs? What's your record against winning teams?

& I'm not saying BO'b is a bad HC. But if he doesn't fix this offense, he's a bad HC.

badboy

Hall of Fame
This is all very fascinating but seems to ignore one simple question. Why would they replace Bill O’Brien? I mean I know some on here think he is the worst thing to hit Houston that doesn’t have Category 4 or 5 used to describe it but clearly the Texans FO and the McNairs in particular disagree at least for now.

As with any stat you have to look beyond that to the actual performance of the player or in this case OBrien. As with college coaches like Dabo or Saban, it's not just about Ws but where does each season end and how did team individually and collectively form. Also how did the coaching perform and this is where those of us on here think he is worse----hit Houston. If we all looked at it from Texans view all he time, it would be lock step mindless amens in church and I AIN'T about that in church or here. We do not clearly know what ownership wants as the McNairs have not told us and perhaps not have told GM/HC either. CAL could be thinking "GM has had one year to settle in and after a decent first draft without round one and two has had an interesting off season that could sink this year or it could indicate we have a very good roster for future. This is Bill's sink or swim year, another championship for Sweeney and he will be willing to accept what I will offer." Again, we don't know clearly what anyone is thinking just because we do not know of any changes that might be coming.

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I love using winning seasons & division championships to defend my under performing HC. But it's all window dressing, eye candy... a diversion.

How many times have we beaten the Colts with a healthy QB? How many times were we embarrassed at home in the playoffs? What's your record against winning teams?

& I'm not saying BO'b is a bad HC. But if he doesn't fix this offense, he's a bad HC.
TKyss, it's not often that I can agree with enough in one of your posts to click Like.

But this is really good post, one I can like 99.99%.

The only thing I'd change is your last sentence: If, by being philosophically inflexible, OB doesn't fix the offense or let a true OC fix it, he should be replaced with a more offensively adaptatble HC such as Dabo Sweeney.

I'm uncomfortable calling OB a BAD HC. I don't think he's been bad. Some head coaches have been worse, some have been better.

As discussed before (by CND others if memory serves...and I hope it does), OB may have reached his ceiling. A good phrase for that is the Peter Principle, the idea that a guy can get promoted to his level of incompetence...the metaphor being that a guy may be a very good salesman but promoting him to Sales Manager reveals he does poorly at the new job. There have been a few guys we can all think of who have been top notch coordinators but have not proven to be top notch head coaches.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I’m not defending anybody, I’m pointing out that yes winning seasons and division championships do matter. Not to people on this MB but in the larger world yeah they do matter.

As far as the offense goes if you put aside the Oline, I will grant you that is a huge thing to put aside, before it got hammered with injuries the offense was kicking ass. That could have been in spite of O’Brien but if we are blame him for the teams failures then to be fair we have to give hm at least partial credit for its success and yes the team has had them.

As with any stat you have to look beyond that to the actual performance of the player or in this case OBrien. As with college coaches like Dabo or Saban, it's not just about Ws but where does each season end and how did team individually and collectively form. Also how did the coaching perform and this is where those of us on here think he is worse----hit Houston. If we all looked at it from Texans view all he time, it would be lock step mindless amens in church and I AIN'T about that in church or here. We do not clearly know what ownership wants as the McNairs have not told us and perhaps not have told GM/HC either. CAL could be thinking "GM has had one year to settle in and after a decent first draft without round one and two has had an interesting off season that could sink this year or it could indicate we have a very good roster for future. This is Bill's sink or swim year, another championship for Sweeney and he will be willing to accept what I will offer." Again, we don't know clearly what anyone is thinking just because we do not know of any changes that might be coming.
Got to be honest I had to read that about 5 times to understand what you were saying with that wall of text but I think I have an idea. First I do agree, for me at least, this is his sink or swim year but thats just for me.

As far as the not knowing what the McNairs want it’s not that hard to figure out. He went 4-12 and they gave him a 4 year extension. If that doesn’t say they think he’s doing something right I don’t know what would and yes Cal was in on that decision to.

The only caveat I’ll say is that if Rick Smiths wife had not taken ill then at some point that situation would have come to a head and the McNair’s would have had to chose. It is possible they didn’t want to change GM and HC back to back so they decided to keep him for that reason but we will never know there.

Also where do people get this idea that A) Swinney has any interest in leaving where he’s at or B) the Texans have any interest in signing him? Other than some click bait headlines I’ve never seen any really creditable sources on this but I haven’t looked either.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
As far as the offense goes if you put aside the Oline, I will grant you that is a huge thing to put aside, before it got hammered with injuries the offense was kicking ass. That could have been in spite of O’Brien but if we are blame him for the teams failures then to be fair we have to give hm at least partial credit for its success and yes the team has had them.
There have been so many times I felt good about O'Brien & his offense being so close. The whole Osweiler fiasco, I was here, saying just that. Osweiler taking this team toe to toe with New England in a Division game. To this day I say Osweiler played well enough to win, but guys who usually make the tough catches dropped three would be touchdowns that would have changed the outcome of that game. Three. Osweiler. I was on O'Briens side.

Then this past season, that last Jags game where the offense looked innovative in the 4th Qtr, I thought that was a preview of what was to come in the playoffs. I mean why else have Watson & our starters out there in the 4th of a game that was over?

I'm ready to pile a ton of credit on BO'b... opportunities just few & far between.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
There have been so many times I felt good about O'Brien & his offense being so close. The whole Osweiler fiasco, I was here, saying just that. Osweiler taking this team toe to toe with New England in a Division game. To this day I say Osweiler played well enough to win, but guys who usually make the tough catches dropped three would be touchdowns that would have changed the outcome of that game. Three. Osweiler. I was on O'Briens side.

Then this past season, that last Jags game where the offense looked innovative in the 4th Qtr, I thought that was a preview of what was to come in the playoffs. I mean why else have Watson & our starters out there in the 4th of a game that was over?

I'm ready to pile a ton of credit on BO'b... opportunities just few & far between.
Not disagreeing with you but I will say people put to much blame on O’Brien in regards to the Colts game. Everyone on the team sh!t the bed in that game. Watson looked like a rookie, the defense put the team in a hole within five minutes, the Oline was blocking like they were playing red rosy, BoB might as well have put his next play on the big screen, everyone sucked.

I’m not saying BoB is a good OC, in fact I lost a lot of hope for the next season when it came out that he wasn’t hiring a real OC and just basically using it to give a kid he was mentoring a break in the business. I’m hoping that the talent of the team is so great that they can make it work.

That being said though I don’t think he is as near as bad a coach as some on here. More importantly I don’t see any real upgrades out there that the Texans actually have a chance of luring away. It’s not just a matter of throwing money at a problem.

Take Swinney for example, why leave a place where his system is already in place, he can pretty much do whatever he wants, gets God only knows how many perks and kick backs from alumni and boosters, has most likely not had to buy his own drinks or dinner in SC for years now just to come to bad weather, bad traffic Houston?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’m not defending anybody, I’m pointing out that yes winning seasons and division championships do matter. Not to people on this MB but in the larger world yeah they do matter.

Got to be honest I had to read that about 5 times to understand what you were saying with that wall of text but I think I have an idea. First I do agree, for me at least, this is his sink or swim year but thats just for me.

As far as the not knowing what the McNairs want it’s not that hard to figure out. He went 4-12 and they gave him a 4 year extension. If that doesn’t say they think he’s doing something right I don’t know what would and yes Cal was in on that decision to.

The only caveat I’ll say is that if Rick Smiths wife had not taken ill then at some point that situation would have come to a head and the McNair’s would have had to chose. It is possible they didn’t want to change GM and HC back to back so they decided to keep him for that reason but we will never know there.

Also where do people get this idea that A) Swinney has any interest in leaving where he’s at or B) the Texans have any interest in signing him? Other than some click bait headlines I’ve never seen any really creditable sources on this but I haven’t looked either.
Man you are hilarious! My post was "wall of text" and I read your last three! Anyways back to your comment.. The 4-12 season parlayed into Bill's payoff was under Bob's watch. A year later and things have changed. 11-5 with a lot of sloppy play and coaching decisions. I think you are correct that some on this board look only at wins. Some of us look beyond that see how the game is played. No one has any idea if Sweeney would come here. It was hypothetical as were our responses.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Man you are hilarious! My post was "wall of text" and I read your last three! Anyways back to your comment.. The 4-12 season parlayed into Bill's payoff was under Bob's watch. A year later and things have changed. 11-5 with a lot of sloppy play and coaching decisions. I think you are correct that some on this board look only at wins. Some of us look beyond that see how the game is played. No one has any idea if Sweeney would come here. It was hypothetical as were our responses.
The phrase “wall of text” has nothing to do with how much is in a post but with how there is nothing to break up the flow of sentences. It makes it very hard to read because words start to run together and if you lose your place you basically have to start at the beginning.

As to your point yes I know that the extension was under BoB McNairs watch but you are acting like Cal had no say in that. Do you really believe they were that far apart in their thinking or that enough has changed in one year that Cal has done a 180? I’m seriously asking.

You say it was 11-5 with sloppy plays and coaching decisions but they still went on a 9 game winning streak. People can write that off all they want with things like “it was luck” or “the other teams were weak” but the fact is you don’t go on a 9 game streak in the NFL without doing something right.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
We were looking for a HC when we found O'Brien.
You are absolutely correct and I’m not saying we couldn’t find one, in fact I know we could. Now whether they will be an improvement is a roll of the dice but it’s a roll that you at times have to take.

My question is, objectively speaking, is it that time? Say they brought in a new HC tomorrow, unless they catch lighting in a bottle it’s a safe bet that it will take him at least 2 years to get his system in place and that’s assuming he likes the kind of players the Texans have gathered under BoB.

Are we ready to sacrifice two more years? At that point Watson will be off his rookie contract, Watt could very well be done, Fuller will be off his contract assuming he’s still here and Clowney may not even here.

It’s one of the reasons I’m giving BoB this last year to prove himself in my book. Because whether he goes this year or next doesn’t make much difference in the long run baring career ending injuries which can happen at anytime under anybody’s watch.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
but they still went on a 9 game winning streak.
That's the only thing BO'b had going for him, imo as a HC.

But he still makes bone headed HC decisions & says things like, "not my job."

Then throw in his 5 year broken offense.

If it were one or the other I could understand folks defending him. But both... there's no defense for the man, imo.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You are absolutely correct and I’m not saying we couldn’t find one, in fact I know we could. Now whether they will be an improvement is a roll of the dice but it’s a roll that you at times have to take.

My question is, objectively speaking, is it that time? Say they brought in a new HC tomorrow, unless they catch lighting in a bottle it’s a safe bet that it will take him at least 2 years to get his system in place and that’s assuming he likes the kind of players the Texans have gathered under BoB.
Do you think BO'b will improve in two years? If you can see it, it makes sense to hold your cards.

With the way FA & the draft went down, I believe the Texans see a lack of athleticism was a problem. We've added some bonafide athleticism.

I don't disagree that there was a lack of athleticism. However, I feel BO'b under performed & failed to maximize the talent he did have.

I think it's time to move on. As soon as I heard Arians was interested in returning to coaching I'd have found his number and offered him the moon.

But... this is where we're at. Hoping BO'b can coach up the new talent he has better than he coached up the old talent he had.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Do you think BO'b will improve in two years? If you can see it, it makes sense to hold your cards.

With the way FA & the draft went down, I believe the Texans see a lack of athleticism was a problem. We've added some bonafide athleticism.

I don't disagree that there was a lack of athleticism. However, I feel BO'b under performed & failed to maximize the talent he did have.

I think it's time to move on. As soon as I heard Arians was interested in returning to coaching I'd have found his number and offered him the moon.

But... this is where we're at. Hoping BO'b can coach up the new talent he has better than he coached up the old talent he had.
I honestly don’t know, I can see very well why people say he won’t but I can also see why Cal would still be holding his cards as you say.

Think about it, you are a Cal McNair, you know that BoB and RS were butting heads and that nothing would improve with both of them there. Maybe you had a say in what was going to be the decision maybe you didn’t but then tragic circumstances took the decision out of your hands.

So now you’ve hired a new GM and all signs point to him and your HC jiving. His first draft is limited but he makes the most of it and you go into the season. It’s starts bad but then you go on a franchise record win streak, defy all the odds and make it to the playoffs. That blows up in your face but that one game aside it was a great season.

So here you are in the next season, your GM had all his picks, added some great weapons and overall seems to have improved the team. How much is up for debate but still improved.

So yeah I can very much see why Cal would give him one more year. I most likely would to, but it would be a sink or swim year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Tell me are Howard/Scharping the answer at OT and I will tell you if BOB is going to improve as OC/HC.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I honestly don’t know, I can see very well why people say he won’t but I can also see why Cal would still be holding his cards as you say.

Think about it, you are a Cal McNair, you know that BoB and RS were butting heads and that nothing would improve with both of them there. Maybe you had a say in what was going to be the decision maybe you didn’t but then tragic circumstances took the decision out of your hands.

So now you’ve hired a new GM and all signs point to him and your HC jiving. His first draft is limited but he makes the most of it and you go into the season. It’s starts bad but then you go on a franchise record win streak, defy all the odds and make it to the playoffs. That blows up in your face but that one game aside it was a great season.

So here you are in the next season, your GM had all his picks, added some great weapons and overall seems to have improved the team. How much is up for debate but still improved.

So yeah I can very much see why Cal would give him one more year. I most likely would to, but it would be a sink or swim year.
This is yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild.

Next yr is the yr that Howard/Scharping/L.Johnson/Warring get experience.

In 2020 with these guys getting experience and couple of more guys added in the draft, (You know they aren't going to pay anybody in FA that can significantly improve the team) they should be ready to roll.

HaveMercy

Passing Through

Yes. I, too, would make this a sink or swim year for OB. How to define that becomes the problem.

I'd be more interested in seeing good progress from the players plus the adoption of newer offensive concepts rather than just watching the W-L tally.

Good progress in those areas would get OB one more make it or break year from me in which there should be significant W-L improvement.

If it's clear to Cal and Gaine that OB has topped out, THEN they can make a move for Dabo Sweeney or another top guy from the college ranks.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Tell me are Howard/Scharping the answer at OT and I will tell you if BOB is going to improve as OC/HC.
Tell me, do you think Davenport played above his talent level & ahead of his development schedule?

If you think Davenport played at or below his capability I don't see any reason Howard or Scharping will play above theirs. If you believe Davenport is further developed than he should be, I'll feel confident Howard & Sharping will come along sooner rather than later.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tell me, do you think Davenport played above his talent level & ahead of his development schedule?

If you think Davenport played at or below his capability I don't see any reason Howard or Scharping will play above theirs. If you believe Davenport is further developed than he should be, I'll feel confident Howard & Sharping will come along sooner rather than later.
I think Davenport is developed as far as his talent level can take him.

He can't make his feet move faster.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Their tradition of bad coaching had made the old Oilers such a laughing stock that they couldn't attract a good coach. Let us not become so comical that no knowledgeable coach would be interested in coming here. I would give BOB this season only to work with his OC and have good decisions on offense and if not, he'd be history.

Dejaview

All Pro
Their tradition of bad coaching had made the old Oilers such a laughing stock that they couldn't attract a good coach. Let us not become so comical that no knowledgeable coach would be interested in coming here. I would give BOB this season only to work with his OC and have good decisions on offense and if not, he'd be history.
Bum Phillips

HaveMercy

Passing Through
I think you guys are concluding that a coach like Dabo Sweeney wouldn't come here, period, and neither would any other really good College coach, for that matter. If that's what you think, we'd better be pulling for OB. Either OB, or we get an NFL retread. That works some of the time, but doesn't work a lot more. We could probably get an up and coming coordinator who really wants to be a Head Coach, but will that satisfy the Dabo Sweeney craving?

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I think you guys are concluding that a coach like Dabo Sweeney wouldn't come here, period, and neither would any other really good College coach, for that matter. If that's what you think, we'd better be pulling for OB. Either OB, or we get an NFL retread. That works some of the time, but doesn't work a lot more. We could probably get an up and coming coordinator who really wants to be a Head Coach, but will that satisfy the Dabo Sweeney craving?
O'Brian was a College coach, Penn State https://binged.it/2w9MiRI

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Incorrect. I'm just saying let's don't keep bad coaches until we become ludicrous like the Oilers were.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
...we'd better be pulling for OB. Either OB, or we get an NFL retread.
The late, great Bum Phillips once said, "There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired." O'Brien is one of them that will be fired. One day. After that, he becomes a retread. I'm pulling for the team. As long as O'Brien is part of the team, I'm pulling for him.

Dejaview

All Pro
Incorrect. I'm just saying let's don't keep bad coaches until we become ludicrous like the Oilers were.
If my memory is correct the reality was just the opposite. I seem to remember the Oilers threw coaches and GM’s out with the bath water. Their problem was constant coaching changes and no consistency. It seemed to me things got better under Floyd Reese.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Just to clarify my position:
1. I root for all Texans players and coaches. 2. My hope for Sweeney while a huge shot in dark is for 2020 3. I see 2019 as sink or swim for O'Brien and is more about player play and development than Ws. 4. Despite the 2018 win streak the team was not as good as it should've been and while I blame much on Devlin, HC is O'Brien.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just to clarify my position:
1. I root for all Texans players and coaches. 2. My hope for Sweeney while a huge shot in dark is for 2020 3. I see 2019 as sink or swim for O'Brien and is more about player play and development than Ws. 4. Despite the 2018 win streak the team was not as good as it should've been and while I blame much on Devlin, HC is O'Brien.
Last yrs team overachieved.

Worst run game in the NFL if you take out Watson's rushing yds.

62 sacks allowed, most in the NFL

Did you see the CB play the last Qtr of the yr? Worst in the NFL. IMHO