Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dabo Swinney, it’s time!

mussop

Hall of Fame
OB has proven once again he just isn’t a good HC. I don’t care about winning 9 in a row. I don’t care about winning the division. None of that means **** when you back into the playoffs and get out coached and out classed again.

It’s time to bring in someone innovative and fresh. Swinney would be crazy to leave Clemson with the run their on but maybe the thought of getting to work with Watson and a BOATLOAD of money can convince him.

I cannot follow this team with OB at the helm anymore. He just doesn’t have what it takes to lead this team. He’s not a good HC.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
OB has proven once again he just isn’t a good HC. I don’t care about winning 9 in a row. I don’t care about winning the division. None of that means **** when you back into the playoffs and get out coached and out classed again.

It’s time to bring in someone innovative and fresh. Swinney would be crazy to leave Clemson with the run their on but maybe the thought of getting to work with Watson and a BOATLOAD of money can convince him.

I cannot follow this team with OB at the helm anymore. He just doesn’t have what it takes to lead this team. He’s not a good HC.

Agree with everything in your post except for not following the Texans. I will continue to do so no matter how pathetic they are.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Sweeney making same if not more than OBRIEN at $7 m plus sliding scale buy out for Dabo to coach elsewhere. I'd really like him here but money prob not the incentive if he does. Has good QB in Clemson.
https://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/dabo-swinney/

mussop

Hall of Fame
As a Clemson fan..no..just no.... Dabo wouldn't be a very good NFL coach.
Wtf are you talking about? Let me guess you’re old school. Well guess what, this is a new era in the NFL. NFL offenses are incorporating college spread offensive style more and more. Look at what the Rams are doing offensively. That is where the NFL is heading.

Jadmakaveli

Veteran
Wtf are you talking about? Let me guess you’re old school. Well guess what, this is a new era in the NFL. NFL offenses are incorporating college spread offensive style more and more. Look at what the Rams are doing offensively. That is where the NFL is heading.
Lol old school? Nah fam I’m 25 I love the college spread offenses. Just Dabo as a NFL coach wouldn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jadmakaveli

Veteran
What's your reasoning for that?
He’s a motivator like Pete Carroll but more so towards kids/young men. All he knows is college football. Just feel his style of coaching and teaching is more so aimed for college rather than NFL. But I would be all in(no pun intended) on kliff kingsbury

mussop

Hall of Fame
Well to be honest with you Dabo aint leaving Clemson. Unless we offering a John Gruden type contract.
No ****! Do you blame him? We have our QB that is pretty obvious. Let’s not waste his career allowing OB to ruin him. Let’s bring in someone with a proven track record of using Watson to the best of his ability. If the Houston Texans are serious about winning they will do whatever it takes to bring in the right people. OB IS NOT THE RIGHT COACH FOR THIS TEAM.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
not feeling him?
Kliff is an up and comer sure, but I want the consistently proven coach who has dominated college football for a few years now and has proven to be able to coach our QB up and elevate his game. He knows Watson's game inside and out and can cater an offense to work to his skillset. Kliff is a much bigger risk for us. IMO

I think having Watson here only helps our cause to help lure him in.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I’m surprised no one has tried to bring back the Run and Shoot offense considering the new rules geared against the defense. I’m hoping this spread offense stuff is just a fad and eventually goes away. I’m no fan of the Big XII and all the high scoring games there either.

Because of Sean McVay’s success some teams are getting ridiculous. It’s crazy that two teams want to interview Kliff Kingsbury. He couldn’t cut it at his alma mater, what makes them think he can be successful in the NFL?

Jadmakaveli

Veteran
Kliff is an up and comer sure, but I want the consistently proven coach who has dominated college football for a few years now and has proven to be able to coach our QB up and elevate his game. He knows Watson's game inside and out and can cater an offense to work to his skillset. Kliff is a much bigger risk for us. IMO

I think having Watson here only helps our cause to help lure him in.
I see what your saying. But it would be interesting thing to see. I would love to be wrong and it happen. However another reason I wouldnt see him leaving Clemson both of his sons are on the team and with his family first mind set he wouldnt leave them.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
**** reminds me of the NBA when they started allowing teams to play zone cause noone could stop Jordan 1 on 1. I mean if the NFL wants the big 12 shootouts and 45-39 scores like the college game they should just go full on with it & stop trying to distinguish their game.

Go ahead & take the pic play rules off the books b/c the refs don't call them anyway b/c that's all these college air raid spread offenses are...a bunch of pic plays.

Defensive players have to be absolutely perfect in their technique when hitting guys or they get flagged. Meanwhile offenses get damn near free reign to do all kinds of ****.

mussop

Hall of Fame
**** reminds me of the NBA when they started allowing teams to play zone cause noone could stop Jordan 1 on 1. I mean if the NFL wants the big 12 shootouts and 45-39 scores like the college game they should just go full on with it & stop trying to distinguish their game.

Go ahead & take the pic play rules off the books b/c the refs don't call them anyway b/c that's all these college air raid spread offenses are...a bunch of pic plays.

Defensive players have to be absolutely perfect in their technique when hitting guys or they get flagged. Meanwhile offenses get damn near free reign to do all kinds of ****.
Yet ours (offense) can’t do shot!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yet ours (offense) can’t do shot!

Yeah it kinda sucks watching other teams repeatedly get away with **** that's supposed to be illegal while we attempt to try to play by the rules, but it is what it is. What ya'll think are "modern passing concepts" is just flat out cheating/skirting of the rules.

I suppose there's a "if u can't beat em' join them" aspect to it...but then again i'm one of those guys who was partial to the NFL game..didn't start watching college until 2000.

Jadmakaveli

Veteran
Pete Carroll Super Bowl winner?
Should have elaborated little bit more on that. But yea he’s a good motivator for young me but I don’t know if it would work on NFL level per say. He’d probably end up being more like Steve spurrier rather than Pete in the NFL.

BOBdaFRAUD

Waterboy
ANYBODY BUT BOB!!!!!!!!!!!

He could not even get this this team READY for a home town crowd.

He brought the same crap he did all season and he got schemed to death. Rac too, he got out schemed in every way. We need change.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Bob ain't goin anywhere. If Dabo came here at all, maybe it would be as the offensive coordinator. It ain't happenin. Just quit. It's Bob for at least another season. Like it or not.
I agree. I most certainly don't like it, but I agree 100%. Bob ain't going nowhere. He's going to have to totally screw up next season and probably the season after that before they get rid of him.

Just another phase in the life and years of a Houston football fan.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree. I most certainly don't like it, but I agree 100%. Bob ain't going nowhere. He's going to have to totally screw up next season and probably the season after that before they get rid of him.

Just another phase in the life and years of a Houston football fan.
Agree. I just gotta keep hoping against hope that he becomes what he is not.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Bob ain't goin anywhere. If Dabo came here at all, maybe it would be as the offensive coordinator. It ain't happenin. Just quit. It's Bob for at least another season. Like it or not.
Agreed, why I think all these "Fire X and bring in Y" are so stupid. As if Cal is lurking on these boards reading this stuff and thinking "you know they're right, I should do that." Hypothetical discussion on what would happen if we did something is cool but most of these are just people venting and ranting as though its actually going to matter.

bigmck

Rookie
There is a big difference in coaching college and the NFL. The X's and O's could be exactly the same, but getting an 18 year old to follow instructions versus a 30 year old is a world of difference.

mussop

Hall of Fame
There is a big difference in coaching college and the NFL. The X's and O's could be exactly the same, but getting an 18 year old to follow instructions versus a 30 year old is a world of difference.
The sky is blue. Sometimes.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Agree. I just gotta keep hoping against hope that he becomes what he is not.
For the time being, I'm just going to pretend that Gaines is the right guy, he gets the rights guys for OB, and OB succeeds despite himself.

Or maybe he does have the right plan, but needs different players which Gaines will get him.

Or maybe he's just an asshole and we'll just have to endure his tenure here.

Oh look, there's another UFO outside my window.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
For the time being, I'm just going to pretend that Gaines is the right guy, he gets the rights guys for OB, and OB succeeds despite himself.

Or maybe he does have the right plan, but needs different players which Gaines will get him.

Or maybe he's just an asshole and we'll just have to endure his tenure here.

Oh look, there's another UFO outside my window.

The second option you present is, I fear, the reality. I think he is a "my way or the highway" type guy. I think he is ultra-conservative in his views. I worry that, no matter how widely employed, and wildly successful the new offensive schemes become, he will refuse to follow the trends, and stick with 3 yards and a cloud of dust .... whether we approve or not !

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The second option you present is, I fear, the reality. I think he is a "my way or the highway" type guy. I think he is ultra-conservative in his views. I worry that, no matter how widely employed, and wildly successful the new offensive schemes become, he will refuse to follow the trends, and stick with 3 yards and a cloud of dust .... whether we approve or not !
I don't care how he wins a SB, as long as he does. All I can say is I remain suspicious and doubtful about OB, but will remain hopeful about Gaines, depending of course on how his first true offseason and a real draft with good picks goes.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Our 11-5 record is such a deceptive 11-5 record and if next season goes anything like this season surely O'b will feel some heat!

Of coarse a lot of close wins we had this season will most likely wind up losses next season.
With the schedule we have next season we won't be getting 11-5.
Some changes need to happen fast if we want to entertain thoughts of making some noise next season and first thing we need is a new offensive scheme and oline help is 2nd on the list.

badboy

Hall of Fame
1. avg age has been dropping (2018 25.6)last three seasons and could drop much more if Joseph, K Jackson, Bademosi, Blue, Griffin, Kelemete, Webb and Weeden and Sharice Wright leave.

2. Saying Swinney cannot coach this team needs to come with a lot more info than just a comment. As JAD said his son Will was a walk on at WR (former QB) but is way down chart IIRC. He has stated he wants to make name for himself so I can see him remaining at CLemson with no concern.

3. Applewhite only as an OC for me and I'd want to think on it a bit.
4 OBrien has been horrible as HC but RAC has not been the brilliant DC of old the last two seasons imo.

Who was the last big time college football coach to be successful? Kelly, Saben, and Spurrier did nothing of note. Jimmy Johnson maybe?