Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Cushing

Barrett wasn't it you that fought with me tooth and nail (at ITB.com) over selecting Cushing as a Sam because Sam's are the fullback of the defense and have relatively no appreciable impact on the game, thus they are not impact players and we would be better served selecting another position?

Honestly, the most impressive play from Cushing today, IMO, was in the first half, Jamarcus Russell rolls right on a bootleg and the fullback tried to cut Cushing and he took on the cut protecting his knees, and although his momentum from protecting his knees was spinning him inside he redirected mid movement and spun outside to prevent Russell from getting around the corner and keeping pressure on him.

Althletically and football savvy wise, the best play I saw out there today.

hmmmmm I don't think so, sorry. I don't post there. I do read the blog from time to time though. My issues with Cushing were from the draft day where I was concerned that he might be too focused on lifting and diet and not that much of a player. I had very little film that I had seen on him but I wasn't that impressed. I wasn't opposed to the pick but I wasn't excited either. I wanted to see how he performed. Of course we all had to wait but it's become clear that we have one hell of a football player on our hands.

The thing that really struck me tonight after I got back to Austin was how "mean" he plays. I can really see what I was beginning to get excited about in TC. He seems to have an intensity that is truly contagious!

I can see these two (56 & 59) really beginning to bond. You really get a feeling for how reserved Demeco has had to be. He didn't really have anyone else to share that level of fire with. I am seeing the same kind of fire in Antonio Smith as well. Building... building... building something here....

I was kind of annoyed at the captioninst for Reliant Stadium throughout the game. They kept spelling his name as Bryan up on the teleprompter (or whatever it is).

Cushing has Manning-esque football smarts with a smidgen of the 'roids. Might explain his aggressiveness.

:truck:

I love Brian Cushing. I'm telling ya... future HOFer.

I don't think I've seen someone come in and make the type of impact that he's made on this defense.

This guy's a man's man.

Definitely a throwback. Lambert..Butkus... Singletary type.

well, I'm a big Cushing fan at this point and he's gonna get better as he figures out the league. Watch out.

well, I'm a big Cushing fan at this point and he's gonna get better as he figures out the league. Watch out.

Yeah, it's going to be fun watching him grow throughout the season. He pairs great with D-Ryans. Throw a "lunch pail" type player like Diles in the mix and you have a very nice LBing corps.

Can we get a video of the Ryans and Cushing obliteration of TE Zach Miller?

I am assuming the Ryans/Cushing sandwich on Miller caused the following:

Raiders tight end Miller suffers concussion
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 4, 2009 8:52 PM ET
On another team, Zach Miller would already be known as one of the best all-around tight ends in football.

On the Raiders, Miller has only been able to grab five passes in the last three games because of JaMarcus Russell's struggles.

Now Oakland may be without one of their most reliable receiving options next week because Miller suffered a concussion in Oakland's dismal 29-6 loss in Houston Sunday.

Miller had three catches for 33 yards against Houston. His potential absence against the Giants next week won't help Russell's season-long struggle to complete 40% of his passes. (Russell is currently at 39.8 . . . but we're happy to round up.)

Cushing has been fantastic. I can't wait to see if we can duplicate this effort next week against a much better O.

Cushing is going to be a bad a$$ player, he just needs to watch out for the illegal hits.

I couldn't find that pic, but there are some great ones here.

Here is a good one of the safety:

cushsafety.jpg

I like this one too.

cush2.jpg
How come you can trip a player to tackle him with no penalty, but if the runner goes by while you are on the ground and you trip him it's a flag?

maybe cushing should do UFC during the offseason...did u see him on tha saftey he got wrap up the runningback, then bring his leg around almost like a takedown you would see in UFC...teach him how to armbar and leglock...we have ourselfs a brock lesnar on our team HELL YEAAA:clap:

How come you can trip a player to tackle him with no penalty, but if the runner goes by while you are on the ground and you trip him it's a flag?

When you already have a player wrapped up I really dont think its considered tripping like Flozell Adams tripping.

hmmmmm I don't think so, sorry. I don't post there. I do read the blog from time to time though. My issues with Cushing were from the draft day where I was concerned that he might be too focused on lifting and diet and not that much of a player. I had very little film that I had seen on him but I wasn't that impressed. I wasn't opposed to the pick but I wasn't excited either. I wanted to see how he performed. Of course we all had to wait but it's become clear that we have one hell of a football player on our hands.

The thing that really struck me tonight after I got back to Austin was how "mean" he plays. I can really see what I was beginning to get excited about in TC. He seems to have an intensity that is truly contagious!

I can see these two (56 & 59) really beginning to bond. You really get a feeling for how reserved Demeco has had to be. He didn't really have anyone else to share that level of fire with. I am seeing the same kind of fire in Antonio Smith as well. Building... building... building something here....

a sam is a waste because they are 2 down players who basically just stick their nose in against the run, which makes it an easy role to fill.

You didn't say that?

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7614&postcount=85

In this thread:

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397&highlight=tennis&page=5

hmmmmm I don't think so, sorry. I don't post there. I do read the blog from time to time though.

There is also this:

Barrett

Total Posts

* Total Posts: 440
* Posts Per Day: 1.00
* Find all posts by barrett
* Find all threads started by barrett

Visitor Messages

* Total Messages: 0
* Most Recent Message: Never
* Visitor Messages for barrett
* Post a visitor message for barrett

General Information

* Last Activity: Today 10:15 AM

Or this:

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/search.php?searchid=50824

Unless of course that is not you...

He is a beast. He needs to cut back on the boneheaded plays he makes from time to time. He's had like 2 or 3 personal fouls and got away with another one today. But other than that he has been fantastic, I agree.

I would like to see him help the Texans make Reliant a "House of Pain" reboot.

maybe cushing should do UFC during the offseason...did u see him on tha saftey he got wrap up the runningback, then bring his leg around almost like a takedown you would see in UFC...teach him how to armbar and leglock...we have ourselfs a brock lesnar on our team HELL YEAAA:clap:

The "Bergen Bulldog," as some like to call Cushing, is a high-speed, high-intensity captain and leader on the nation's top-rated defense.

Bergen Catholic High School coach Fred Stengel says his former star and current USC senior linebacker Brian Cushing has a bit of "wild dog" in him. Trojans coach Pete Carroll calls Cushing an "animal."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...c-linebacker-brian-cushing-the-bergen-bulldog

Cushing reminds me of Romo (Bill Romanowski) brings similar intensity, hopefully he has the same durability :ant:

he got the first safety for the texans in 7 years....thats crazy

Cushing is a good player, but the safety was because the DL completely destroyed the right side of the raiders OL. Anthony Smith knifed in and I think the other was Amobi as well.. Which basically walled off the RB, and Cushing got the clean run to him, allowing a great safety.

So let's make sure everyone gets credit for the safety :)

Cushing is a good player, but the safety was because the DL completely destroyed the right side of the raiders OL. Anthony Smith knifed in and I think the other was Amobi as well.. Which basically walled off the RB, and Cushing got the clean run to him, allowing a great safety.

So let's make sure everyone gets credit for the safety :)

Good point and i agree totally i should change it to....The defense gets first safety in 7 years!!!!:texflag:

Good point and i agree totally i should change it to....The defense gets first safety in 7 years!!!!:texflag:

I got a really great shot of the safety, it was right in front of us I'm about 8 rows back in section 136, you could see the raiders just get destroyed on that side.

This team has had more than it's share of weak tacklers and matadors over the years, it's incredibly nice to finally have another nasty defender who puts a hurtin' on people.

I dig all the positive vibe in this thread about a Texans player. :thumbup

I really look forward to seeing Cushing, Ryans, and Mario mature into the cornerstones of a solid defense over the next couple of years. These are my kind of players.

I know it's trite to compare the Broncs and Texans (and I'm also far from the first to say this), but Cushing is our Bill Romanowski, complete with steroid rumors. I hope Cush's aren't for real. In fact, doesn't Bush deserve some credit for Cush? I seem to remember reading him pushing for Brian before the draft because he felt we needed a Bill Romanowski presence.

Regardless of Frank's credit (or not), we need that really mean, slightly psychotic presence on "D." I was way off on Cushing, and I love watching him play.

I know it's trite to compare the Broncs and Texans (and I'm also far from the first to say this), but Cushing is our Bill Romanowski, complete with steroid rumors. I hope Cush's aren't for real. In fact, doesn't Bush deserve some credit for Cush? I seem to remember reading him pushing for Brian before the draft because he felt we needed a Bill Romanowski presence.

Regardless of Frank's credit (or not), we need that really mean, slightly psychotic presence on "D." I was way off on Cushing, and I love watching him play.

It's pretty cool to have a position of real strength (LB).. Combine those guys with our 4 man DE rotation (Mario, ASmith, Bulman, Barwin soon enough) and we actually can create problems for offenses now. That's fun!

Sure, it's probably premature to say that Dallas Clark is a better pass catching TE than Bennie Joppru. Just wait until Joppru heals up and has an opportunity to prove himself. Then the Colts will regret what they have at TE!

Theres a big difference. Im talking about 2 rookies 4 games into the season that have both missed signifigant time with injuries. Cushing looked really good against the Raiders but before that his performance wasnt spectacular. I mean it was good considering his tenure and missed time because of injury but he didnt make a real impact.

Mathews hasnt had the chance to show what he is capable of yet becasue of injury. So yeh its premature to say Cushing is better than him right now. I dont see how comparing their situation with 2 guys that were drafted 7 years ago is relevant. Unless you dont understand the definition of premature.

Dont take this as I dont like Cushing. I am very happy with his perfomance and think he has a ton of potential. I am excited about what he can do for this team. Ive wanted a stud OLB longer than anyone here. But Im not going to let any of that cloud my judgment. There just hasnt been enough time to declare one better than the other. If you cant see that then youre just being a homer.

Barrett wasn't it you that fought with me tooth and nail (at ITB.com) over selecting Cushing as a Sam because Sam's are the fullback of the defense and have relatively no appreciable impact on the game, thus they are not impact players and we would be better served selecting another position?

Honestly, the most impressive play from Cushing today, IMO, was in the first half, Jamarcus Russell rolls right on a bootleg and the fullback tried to cut Cushing and he took on the cut protecting his knees, and although his momentum from protecting his knees was spinning him inside he redirected mid movement and spun outside to prevent Russell from getting around the corner and keeping pressure on him.

Althletically and football savvy wise, the best play I saw out there today.

I saw that as well and it was one of the few "WOW" moments of athletic agility i've ever seen from a defensive player with a Texans uniform on.

Simply sweet!:smiliedance:

Last edited:
Cushing looked great on Sunday and showed the strength and tackling that has been sorely missing from the OLB position.

Was very impressed by his play recognition albeit against an offense about as complex as your local high school.

If the guy can stay healthy, and that is the only problem I have ever had with the guy, we got our OLB for the next decade. Dude is a keeper.

Theres a big difference. Im talking about 2 rookies 4 games into the season that have both missed signifigant time with injuries. Cushing looked really good against the Raiders but before that his performance wasnt spectacular. I mean it was good considering his tenure and missed time because of injury but he didnt make a real impact.

Mathews hasnt had the chance to show what he is capable of yet becasue of injury. So yeh its premature to say Cushing is better than him right now. I dont see how comparing their situation with 2 guys that were drafted 7 years ago is relevant. Unless you dont understand the definition of premature.

Dont take this as I dont like Cushing. I am very happy with his perfomance and think he has a ton of potential. I am excited about what he can do for this team. Ive wanted a stud OLB longer than anyone here. But Im not going to let any of that cloud my judgment. There just hasnt been enough time to declare one better than the other. If you cant see that then youre just being a homer.

Mathews just forced a fumble then returned it for a TD as I was reading this thread. LOL.

Great shots, BTW that should have been 15yds for unsportsmanlike conduct. He hit him in the head. Most likely will get a note from the league.

Not really a fumble, he just flat took it away from Adrian Peterson and ran the other way with. VERY heads up play.

And they talked about how Dom Capers has worked with their D to strip the ball. What was his focus when he was here? Nice play by Matthews, though. Couple of good LBs with him and Cushing.

Doesn't have anything to do with Cushing, but that was one helluva play by Clay. I remember thinking that Rey Maualuga was the best of the three. Man it's a good thing I'm not a GM.

a sam is a waste because they are 2 down players who basically just stick their nose in against the run, which makes it an easy role to fill.

You didn't say that?

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7614&postcount=85

In this thread:

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397&highlight=tennis&page=5

There is also this:

Barrett

Total Posts

* Total Posts: 440
* Posts Per Day: 1.00
* Find all posts by barrett
* Find all threads started by barrett

Visitor Messages

* Total Messages: 0
* Most Recent Message: Never
* Visitor Messages for barrett
* Post a visitor message for barrett

General Information

* Last Activity: Today 10:15 AM

Or this:

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/search.php?searchid=50824

Unless of course that is not you...

That's definitely not me but I have to admit that I'm a bit creeped out by the fact that there is another me who is a Texans fan who posts all the time!!!!

First of all thank you for bringing this to my attention as I am now completely questioning my reality.

Things that really got me. This "barrett" also has his name listed with a lower-case "b". That's really strange!

Barrett is kind of an odd name to begin with but this guy for some reason is either just as lazy as me or just as neurotic!!! I write/type my name (inconsistently mind you, after all I am a hypocrit) with a lower case on purpose but I'm really surprised to find that this person does too!!!

Further continuing my hysteria here is that this "barrett" apparently was also kind of opposed to the Cushing pick initially based on the links that you've provided me. (I have stated very clearly that I was wait and see about the pick but certainly wasn't excited.)

Get this though, I like this guy!!! Look at this response he gives to you:

We have currently spent 3 first round picks in the last 4 years. Another 1st would be 4 in 5 years. We've also spent a 5th during that time (okam).

The patriots in the building of their defense from 2001-2004 (4 years) spent three 1st, one 2nd, and two 4th round picks on DL. And take into account that they play a 3-4 and are only filing 3 spots. So 6 players picked in 4 years to fill 4 spots. And it payed off big time. Half a decade later those guys still make up the top 4 spots on one of the best 3-4 lines in football.

So the problem is not with over-investing in one position. The problem is with doing a bad job of it (like we have on some of these picks). And I think that's where your argument comes from. The frustration that comes from these guys blowing picks is doubled when they keep blowing them in the same area. Well remember this staff has only had 2 drafts and they have only taken ONE DL in those 2 drafts. You can't expect them to ignore team needs based on who Casserly drafted in 2005.

He also talks extensively about drafting based on BPA as well as team need and he's much more eloquent (I bet he can even spell it).

OH MY GOD! HE EVEN POSTED THIS SAME INFORMATION IN A THREAD I STARTED HERE ON THE TEXANS TALK THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776

CHECK IT OUT!!!!!

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65291

WHAT THE FU(K!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

THIS IS NO JOKE! WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY?

Cushing IS a beast and I'm glad he is on our side. As this unit gells I hope to see him become a bigger factor in more wins. Now if we can just get a dominant NT and a sht down corner and a ball hawking safety.

Cushing IS a beast and I'm glad he is on our side. As this unit gells I hope to see him become a bigger factor in more wins. Now if we can just get a dominant NT and a sht down corner and a ball hawking safety.

You dont want much do you? :pop:

Wow, this guy is the best player on our defense. Yes, right now he is. Over Mario and Demeco. This dude is a super stud.

I like Cushing too but I wouldn't go that far as saying he is the best player on defense. He does seem to be around the ball a lot.

After watching NFLTA last night I was really surprised Cushing wasn't nominated for 'Rookie of the Week'. I mean, WTF?!

V. Davis - Pick 6
Moreno - 65 yards and a TD
Collie - 65 yards and a TD
Knox - KO return for TD
Massaquoi - 148 yards and TD

I think Cush had a better game than at least 3-4 of these guys. I think Massaquoi deserves to win, but dang.

Back