Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Culley offense?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
So, we know that the defense is going to a 4-3 attacking type scheme with Tampa 2 traits. However, what type of offense is going to be run?

I know what Culley ran in Baltimore. Are we going to get that or what we ran last year with tweaks or something 100% different?

Only thing I can kinda see is a lot of ground game. Only due to having the amount of RBs we have. And Ingram, Johnson and Lindsey are going to make the team.

Whats you opinion?

Number19

Hall of Fame
So, we know that the defense is going to a 4-3 attacking type scheme with Tampa 2 traits. However, what type of offense is going to be run?

I know what Culley ran in Baltimore. Are we going to get that or what we ran last year with tweaks or something 100% different?

Only thing I can kinda see is a lot of ground game. Only due to having the amount of RBs we have. And Ingram, Johnson and Lindsey are going to make the team.

Whats you opinion?
Culley spent 17 years coaching under Andy Reid, from 1999 thru 2016. First, emulating Reid, he has said he will adapt his offense to fit the skill of his players. Second, IMO, his offense will trend toward the modern game closely identified with the collegiate game. This draft may prove to be a good indicator. If Mond is available at 67, will we take him or pass. Mond is identified as a duel threat QB, and while no where close to Mahomes in skill set, is the same kind of QB.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I really think that whatever offense we end up running will depend on who the QB1 is. I’m more interested in what Pep Hamilton will bring to Houston since he has a damn good resume. I could see him being named the new OC once training camp starts.
Yeah, I am real curious if Tim Kelly gets released as OC and Pep is named when DW4 leaves town. Pep seems to mold his offense around his QB skills, and you see the running game and probably then play action and controlled passing being what TT can do best as well as use his legs. TT and Tim Kelly with the BOB offense don't make much sense. I guess TK can learn a new offense too, but seems strange as the main reason he was here in my opinion is that DW4 wanted him. He could not install a running game to save his ass

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
We don't know who or what we will have at QB, we don't know what Kelly will be like now that he has had a year away from OB, we don't know if these many 1 year deals we signed are worth putting on the field, we don't know what kind of offense Culley runs because he was under Reid and then Harbaugh both coaches well known for having final say over their offenses and being the person to design a lot of those offenses. In other words you could put every type of offense on a dart board and throw at it and it would be just as good a guess as a deep analysis would be. On the plus side no other team has a clue what we will run either.

Don't get me wrong I'm actually looking forward to it because at least it might be something different. After watching OB's offense for 5+ years even when it did work it was boring to watch so at least this might be something different. If Watson is no longer a Texans for whatever reason I don't expect Kelly to last long unless he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
we don't know what kind of offense Culley runs because he was under Reid and then Harbaugh both coaches well known for having final say over their offenses and being the person to design a lot of those offenses.
Far as I know Harbaugh lets his OC handle the offense. I don't think he micromanages the defense either. He's a true HC. Which is what I hope Culley is.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Far as I know Harbaugh lets his OC handle the offense. I don't think he micromanages the defense either. He's a true HC. Which is what I hope Culley is.
He lets his OC call the plays but he usually has a heavy hand in designing them. The idea to throw out the whole playbook and start from square one when they saw Jackson would be their QB and that he was Newton 2.0 was Harbaugh's.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
My thought is that Culley will allow the offense to be whatever you call KellyPep's offense in combination. Culley is going to be the administrator, organizer overseer, but not very hands-on, imo.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
This is what I foresee happening with the Texans.
With no Watson...we have Taylor and whoever else we may draft/FA after cuts. I think we have to have a system. I know it will be run heavy from the RBs we have. But after that, not real sure. Culley's offence was 50% Greg Roman. So, I will base what I think he will run with a strong influence of Roman. Looking like a use the run heavy idea with shot's to the WRs and RBs when the box is stacked. Taking over the top help away from the defense due to a safety or CB playing the run. IF Ingram can play like he has in the past and Johnson picks up with the strong finish he had (plus he is a sleeper in the passing game). We will use Lindsey as a WR/RB hybrid. Seeing with the speed he has and the willingness to get hit and fight for yards. The odd blocking schemes (if used) are the part that worried me. Seeing the OL is not a super great unit as it stands right now. OTAs and Camp will tell the tale. As well as how well everyone can pick up the system.

Taken from article:

That leads to a massive playbook and unique blocking schemes, which, in turn, keeps the opposition on their toes. While the other team knows that they have to stop Lamar Jackson and Mark Ingram, that’s easier said than done.

Here is a little idea of what Roman is doing with blocking. a big IF our OL can do the same. If they can it will be a good running game. If Culley is going to use it.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
With no Watson...we have Taylor and whoever else we may draft/FA after cuts. I think we have to have a system. I know it will be run heavy from the RBs we have. But after that, not real sure. Culley's offence was 50% Greg Roman. So, I will base what I think he will run with a strong influence of Roman. Looking like a use the run heavy idea with shot's to the WRs and RBs when the box is stacked. Taking over the top help away from the defense due to a safety or CB playing the run. IF Ingram can play like he has in the past and Johnson picks up with the strong finish he had (plus he is a sleeper in the passing game). We will use Lindsey as a WR/RB hybrid. Seeing with the speed he has and the willingness to get hit and fight for yards. The odd blocking schemes (if used) are the part that worried me. Seeing the OL is not a super great unit as it stands right now. OTAs and Camp will tell the tale. As well as how well everyone can pick up the system.

Taken from article:

That leads to a massive playbook and unique blocking schemes, which, in turn, keeps the opposition on their toes. While the other team knows that they have to stop Lamar Jackson and Mark Ingram, that’s easier said than done.

Here is a little idea of what Roman is doing with blocking. a big IF our OL can do the same. If they can it will be a good running game. If Culley is going to use it.

Sounds very much like what I'm expecting. What I'm unsure of is how well Taylor can run this offense. Which is why I'm hoping the Texans pick Kellen Mond with their first pick, whether they trade up or take him at 67. If you take a look at Mond's 2020 stats, they are down from 2018 and 2019, but the Aggies had a strong running game which allowed them to rely less on Mond. With this more balanced offense, led by their dual threat QB and a running game, they won their bowl game and ended up the season ranked #4.

I don't know about the 2022 QB's and don't count on the Texans being in position to draft a "franchise" QB; so I'd like the Texans to take Mond this year. I think he can run the offense we both envision. At worst, his floor is as a very good backup; and his ceiling is as a playoff caliber leader.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sounds very much like what I'm expecting. What I'm unsure of is how well Taylor can run this offense. Which is why I'm hoping the Texans pick Kellen Mond with their first pick, whether they trade up or take him at 67. If you take a look at Mond's 2020 stats, they are down from 2018 and 2019, but the Aggies had a strong running game which allowed them to rely less on Mond. With this more balanced offense, led by their dual threat QB and a running game, they won their bowl game and ended up the season ranked #4.

I don't know about the 2022 QB's and don't count on the Texans being in position to draft a "franchise" QB; so I'd like the Texans to take Mond this year. I think he can run the offense we both envision. At worst, his floor is as a very good backup; and his ceiling is as a playoff caliber leader.
Runs hot and cold

Not accurate consistently

Not sure about his reading of defenses.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
And kick a field goal when the game dictates they should go for it.

What I'm more interested in than Culley's offense, what will his catch phrase be after every soul-crushing loss?
......a smart Culley would reply, “whew....we played hard, never gave up, but ultimately Bill O’Brien should shoulder the blame for this loss”. Mic drop.....exit stage left.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Runs hot and cold

Not accurate consistently

Not sure about his reading of defenses.
All true. But we're going to need a third QB and unless you're satisfied with Finley being #2, he's going to need to be an upgrade. Mond ran an offense very similar to what I think our offense will be, and ran it pretty well against SEC talent. He had two bad games against LSU and Vanderbilt, but still managed to win both games. He also had good performances, particularly against #1 ranked Alabama, which A&M lost, and a come from behind victory against #7 ranked Florida. Like you said, hot and cold. He should beat out Finley and may push Taylor. At worst, he will settle in as a good backup for the 4 years of his rookie contract, but I like his upside as a starter.

But...I would not trade up. If he falls to 67, only then would I take him. I'd also consider trading back for an extra pick and then taking him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
All true. But we're going to need a third QB and unless you're satisfied with Finley being #2, he's going to need to be an upgrade. Mond ran an offense very similar to what I think our offense will be, and ran it pretty well against SEC talent. He had two bad games against LSU and Vanderbilt, but still managed to win both games. He also had good performances, particularly against #1 ranked Alabama, which A&M lost, and a come from behind victory against #7 ranked Florida. Like you said, hot and cold. He should beat out Finley and may push Taylor. At worst, he will settle in as a good backup for the 4 years of his rookie contract, but I like his upside as a starter.

But...I would not trade up. If he falls to 67, only then would I take him. I'd also consider trading back for an extra pick and then taking him.
I either package picks to move up and get a better QB, or stand pat and grab BPA. Roll with Taylor/Finley this yr and draft a QB in 2022. I like Carson Strong in the 2022 draft. I also like Spencer Rattler alot.

banned1976

sleeper mode
And kick a field goal when the game dictates they should go for it.

What I'm more interested in than Culley's offense, what will his catch phrase be after every soul-crushing loss?
......a smart Culley would reply, “whew....we played hard, never gave up, but ultimately Bill O’Brien should shoulder the blame for this loss”. Mic drop.....exit stage left.
This is how I operate on this message board. Sometimes I spike the ball myself, other times I lob it up for someone else. You're welcome, OT.

Dejaview

All Pro
Well , they kept Tim Kelly as their OC ..... obviously they didn't think the scheme was the problem.

I expect the exact same ugly offense we saw last year except we wont have Watson playing Houdini ....
Probably...perhaps. Kelly had to play out the O after OB was gone. Couldn’t change an O a few games into the season. Who knows what he may have discussed with NC after he was extended. He proved he could run an O but maybe he made it clear he was open to change or wanted to change it. In any event there are so many new faces there is no need to keep running it. I just hope to see more plays designed for the particular attributes of the skilled starters.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Probably...perhaps. Kelly had to play out the O after OB was gone. Couldn’t change an O a few games into the season. Who knows what he may have discussed with NC after he was extended. He proved he could run an O but maybe he made it clear he was open to change or wanted to change it. In any event there are so many new faces there is no need to keep running it. I just hope to see more plays designed for the particular attributes of the skilled starters.
This is why I want Pep to have a strong say. He typically seems to design around his players versus be stuck on a system

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Culley, Pep and Kelly will not have Watson at the helm this season and they're cognizant of this going into the season. I believe a completely new playbook has been created around the types of offenses all 3 and now Taylor have been involved in, in the past. Lots of new players and coaches means the past will be exactly that....the past. Everyone is starting from the same fresh sheet of music and will get an off-season to input the new system. So let the competition for starting jobs begin.....looking forward to the 2021 season.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You bet. Big time. Above all I want to see the slot receivers and TE’s utilized. I just can’t see DC sitting in a film room with TK and NOT, with all of his experience, see the need for some significant change
A lot of this I see more of a QB issue. It's how he reads the defense preSnap & adjust his reads postSnap.

Hopefully Tyrod & Kelly/Pep can get on the same page & see things the same way.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Well , they kept Tim Kelly as their OC ..... obviously they didn't think the scheme was the problem.

I expect the exact same ugly offense we saw last year except we wont have Watson playing Houdini ....
So you don’t believe the offensive line might be better coached/ better prepared and/ or improved?

If the offensive line does improve drastically could the running game be improved as well?

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
Unsurprisingly not unlike any other player available when we pick..
FOOLS!!! he meant we will pull a Minnesota and let the time expire so we’re not really passing, we’re punting or taking a knee, which will emulate Bo Culleys high flying offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I expect with the OL additions and better RB's, plus a better OL coach they wont need Houdini. With that said, I expect the Texans to be really bad next yr.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I know Culley has worked with Taylor in the past and I think Pep has too.

They know Taylor's strengths and weaknesses and how to play to Taylor's strengths.
That in itself would amaze me.

Using your players strengths rather than trying to force their weaknesses........ it sounds crazy enough to work.

Im tired of the square peg in a round hole approach.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
That in itself would amaze me.

Using your players strengths rather than trying to force their weaknesses........ it sounds crazy enough to work.

Im tired of the square peg in a round hole approach.
Seriously...why would you ram Lamar Miller between the tackles on first down? Are we supposed to believe that BoB has ever seen a game of football before?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Seriously...why would you ram Lamar Miller between the tackles on first down? Are we supposed to believe that BoB has ever seen a game of football before?
If I give BO'b the benefit of the doubt (& you know that's not my nature) I'd have to say the guy under Center was checking into run plays way to often. For whatever reason.

I'm not saying that was the case, but I've mentioned before I think it's been part of the problem.