Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

CTE

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So we know what CTE means & it’s most likely a lot of guys playing now, or recently left the game has to deal with it.

What are their options? Counseling? Suicide watch?

I actually saw a comment on another site from a fan watching Tu'a on the ground and the poster said get up Sissy! Boxers and MMA fighters get knocked out all the time.

How many people have died when playing an NFL game?

I would like to know how many people and in what fields they work in get CTE?

With that said, There's no way in the world Tua should've been allowed to play Thursday night.

I was with Kimble Anders today watching games and he told me he good except the short term memory loss. He was trying to get his mother out the hood (galveston) by any means neccessary. So if it meant taking hits in the head or being whatever, he was with it.

I was with Kimble Anders today watching games and he told me he good except the short term memory loss. He was trying to get his mother out the hood (galveston) by any means neccessary. So if it meant taking hits in the head or being whatever, he was with it.

In other words he accepted the risk for the money?

I predict the bubble wrap helmets will be in use during games before the decade is out
That won't matter. You cannot stop the brain from moving around inside the skull hitting the "walls". That's how concussions work. It's the violent impact that causes the brain to smack the inside of the skull.

I remember Junior Seau at times like these. You have to know something is wrong when a person commits suicide by shooting themselves in the chest to preserve their brain for future study for CTE. That message is loud and clear.

What the Dolphins did to Tua was criminal. Tua knew the risks as well but that doesn’t excuse the Dolphins.

The sport we love has dangers that can now be somewhat understood and measured. Players need to get used to those bobble head helmets because that is first before the eventual flag football.

In other words he accepted the risk for the money?
Anyone playing football, even at jr high is taking a risk. The cte debate was the nfl knew and tried to hide it. That doesn't mean guys wouldn't play, because some guys are so poor, they may think its their only way out. That's why they have worked to get the head out of the game and make it somewhat safer.

That won't matter. You cannot stop the brain from moving around inside the skull hitting the "walls". That's how concussions work. It's the violent impact that causes the brain to smack the inside of the skull.
I'm well aware of the causes of concussions... the bubble wrap helmets will lessen the violence of impact to some degree.

I'm well aware of the causes of concussions... the bubble wrap helmets will lessen the violence of impact to some degree.
I would argue that less headwear would be better. These NFL helmets are damn near bullet proof and I believe that gives players a false sense of security and also makes players not afraid to use their heads more in collisions. Do rugby players have these concussion/CTE issues? If so I'd like to see how they compare to the NFL or just American football in general.

I would argue that less headwear would be better. These NFL helmets are damn near bullet proof and I believe that gives players a false sense of security and also makes players not afraid to use their heads more in collisions. Do rugby players have these concussion/CTE issues? If so I'd like to see how they compare to the NFL or just American football in general.
I can see your point, but that would drastically change the game. Rugby players don't have near the numbers of high speed collisions that NFL players do

I can see your point, but that would drastically change the game. Rugby players don't have near the numbers of high speed collisions that NFL players do
See, I think the reason you have the high speed collisions in the NFL is because of all the equipment. Take all of that stuff off and instead of throwing your armoured body into someone, you're wrapping and tackling.

Reactions: JB

What does the data say?

When it comes to concussions, research conducted by Complete Concussion Management in 2018 revealed that of all sports, men's rugby had the highest rate of concussion for people over the age of 18, with a rate of 3.0 concussions per every 1,000 players per game. Football comes in second with 2.5 concussions per every 1,000 players per game.

For players under the age of 18, rugby was also number one, at 4.18, while football was third at 0.53. As far as injuries in general, a study performed by doctors Nienke W. Willegenburg, James R. Borcher, and Richard Quincy of Ohio State University in 2016 showed that collegiate rugby players suffered injuries at a rate of 15.2 per every 1,000 players per game, while collegiate football players got injured at a rate of 4.9 per every 1,000 players per game.

Source

What does the data say?

When it comes to concussions, research conducted by Complete Concussion Management in 2018 revealed that of all sports, men's rugby had the highest rate of concussion for people over the age of 18, with a rate of 3.0 concussions per every 1,000 players per game. Football comes in second with 2.5 concussions per every 1,000 players per game.

For players under the age of 18, rugby was also number one, at 4.18, while football was third at 0.53. As far as injuries in general, a study performed by doctors Nienke W. Willegenburg, James R. Borcher, and Richard Quincy of Ohio State University in 2016 showed that collegiate rugby players suffered injuries at a rate of 15.2 per every 1,000 players per game, while collegiate football players got injured at a rate of 4.9 per every 1,000 players per game.

Source
So much for that theory then. But it did say that the severity of injury is likely higher in football, considering the nature of the collisions to be at a greater speed and with less control, so there is some validity to the big high speed collisions occuring because of all the body armor.

So much for that theory then. But it did say that the severity of injury is likely higher in football, considering the nature of the collisions to be at a greater speed and with less control, so there is some validity to the big high speed collisions occuring because of all the body armor.

Why don’t the players wear heavier shoes so they can’t run as fast?

giphy.gif

Eh, it is what it is & its just common sense man. You can't go getting knocked around like that and not suffer the consequences of it later in your life.That's with anything. People who drink alot know that doing that crap causes problems with your liver and kidney's later in life. People who smoke know that smoking screws up your lungs and has an effect on them later in life. The only difference is those folks are doing it purely for enjoyment only....most of them anyway.

These guys know the risks of what they're doing..... & frankly the money they have the potential to recieve outweighs that risk..which is why you see what happened with Tua the other day. Sure the Dolphins could've held him out as a precaution, but aside from what the dude is telling you and the tape of him stumbling, they didn't really have anything to say he wasn't ok. Hell after his 1st concussion, dude came back in and won the game in dramatic fashion. I just don't get all the outrage behind this.

Concussions is huge in rugby right now, a few formal players have been diagnosed with early stages of dementia. The higher ups are doing everything to make the game safer but a shoulder tackle to the head is all it takes, even a tackler gets concussed from tackling low and getting their head clipped by the opposing players knees

What does the data say?

Source
Sounds about right, take a look at game 3 of state of origin (rugby league) this year - three players were knocked out in the first 5mins. Brutal sport but its been hailed as as one of the greatest games down here in the southern hemisphere.

They can teach tackle technique in rugby all they want, but the players these days are big and fast and with nature of the game being direct (constant collision) for 120mins, someone is bound to get knocked out.

These NFL helmets are damn near bullet proof and I believe that gives players a false sense of security and also makes players not afraid to use their heads more in collisions.
I do believe there is something to this. I'd also point out that the "don't lead with your head" wasn't always taught at the lower levels of football. We were coached 40-50 years ago to stick our helmet on the ball. It's going to take time to get that out of the game.

I do believe there is something to this. I'd also point out that the "don't lead with your head" wasn't always taught at the lower levels of football. We were coached 40-50 years ago to stick our helmet on the ball. It's going to take time to get that out of the game.

That's not ever leaving the game b/c for 1 on the lower levels, using more of your arms to tackle a guy vs. getting down and trying to throw your shoulder into them & wrapping up is frowned upon by idiot coaches. They want to hear the pads pop and the "ohh!" factor. Doing anything but that means you're not tough. Aside from that, its a bit difficult to throw your shoulder into a guy and wrap him up while also keeping your head out of harms way...especially while tackling these backs. Its why you see so many of these guys miss tackles by throwing their shoulders & not wrapping up with their arms.

All you're really gonna see is more & more players making "business decisions" when it comes to tackling.

Yep. And the inherent problem with little league football is dad coaches that still run Oklahoma drills and don't care about the long-term health of their young players.

I've seen it firsthand and would advocate waiting until your boy is in school to let him play tackle football. At least there is some level of standards and liability with school districts, because there is zero oversight of little league volunteer coaches. And a LOT of those dad coaches are either living vicariously through their kids or believing that their kid is so special that he'll be a pro one day (or both).

Yep. And the inherent problem with little league football is dad coaches that still run Oklahoma drills and don't care about the long-term health of their young players.

I've seen it firsthand and would advocate waiting until your boy is in school to let him play tackle football. At least there is some level of standards and liability with school districts, because there is zero oversight of little league volunteer coaches. And a LOT of those dad coaches are either living vicariously through their kids or believing that their kid is so special that he'll be a pro one day (or both).
Yep. My son didn't play tackle until 6th grade. I remember talking to Mike Evans guardian when he was hooping in 7th grade and said they didn't want him playing football. He had scholarships in basketball as a junior before he decided to play football as a senior.

Yep. My son didn't play tackle until 6th grade. I remember talking to Mike Evans guardian when he was hooping in 7th grade and said they didn't want him playing football. He had scholarships in basketball as a junior before he decided to play football as a senior.

yeah, I've read that a lot of pro players will not let their kids play football because they know the inherent risks firsthand.

I feel fortunate that both of my sons made it through football without any obvious head trauma. Oldest played through college on a full scholarship and has some knee, hip, and shoulder issues that he'll have to live with, but his brain appears to be in good shape.

Flag football is a great option through elementary school because it emphasizes the skill positions while still maintaining the strategy of football. They can still knock heads on accident, but it's not an every play kind of thing.

Before my oldest son was born i had dreams of him playing, but once he got of age, i didnt press him to play. He knows i love the sport so he tried it out this year, but it didnt take & i didnt force him to continue. What i’d found is that subconsciously i didnt want him to play..not b/c of CTE but b/c of other major injuries. I dont think i could handle it if he got paralyzed or some other life altering injury b/c i forced or put too much pressure on him to play a sport he had no interest in.

Back