Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

College Football Random Thought of the Day

Since this is the most recent random thought thread in this forum i could make and I can't merge all 3, i thought i would post this humerous tidbit here...

Watching Texas signing day, I find it hilarious that Tom Herman is talking about the importance of loyalty and trust between coach and recruit. TH is purely politician

Didn't have a straight forward thread to place this in........if MODs find one, feel free to move.

Things are getting more and more gimmicky............next year, suggest the draftees drop onto the stage with parachutes marked with team colors..........

1579647336742.png

I've heard of false negatives, is there such a thing as false positives?
There are a lot of variable factors that go into false negative and false positive COVID viral swab tests. But the basic accepted numbers are 33% false negatives and 5% false positives.

Reactions: JB
:hankpalm:

************************************************************************************
Ohio State requires players to sign coronavirus waiver for voluntary workouts
June 14, 2020, 8:26 PM EDT

The corona charlatans will shout that young people have nothing at all to worry about when it comes to the virus that has killed more than 100,000 Americans this year. But those who potentially would be sued for exposing young people to a virus that in theory could make them seriously ill or worse would prefer not to worry about being sued, in the event the corona charlatans are wrong.

At Ohio State, players participating in voluntary football workouts had to sign a document assuming the risk of catching COVID-19.

Via the Columbus Dispatch, players had to sign a two-page document containing a “pledge to take responsibility for my own health and help stop the spread of the COVID-19.” The document also states that “although the university is following the coronavirus guidelines issued by the CDC and other experts to reduce the spread of infection, I can never be completely shielded from all risk of illness caused by COVID-19 or other infections.”

Refusal to sign the document supposedly won’t affect the scholarship status of players. But, obviously, if players refuse to sign and in turn can’t participate in voluntary workouts, someone else who does sign and participate could begin to make the kind of impression that could cause the scholarship player to begin to fall out of favor.

It’s one thing for a professional football team to foist the risks of the virus onto players who are showing up and participating in workouts that lead to a football season entailing significant compensation. College football players don’t get paid, and now they’re being asked (at least in Columbus) to assume the full risk of showing up and participating in workouts aimed at helping them, and in turn the football program, perform better in the fall.

This is becoming an increasingly wide-spread college occurrence.

Kansas State’s football team has shut down its workouts after 14 players tested positive for COVID-19.

************************************************************************************

The corona charlatans will shout that young people have nothing at all to worry about when it comes to the virus that has killed more than 100,000 Americans this year. But those who potentially would be sued for exposing young people to a virus that in theory could make them seriously ill or worse would prefer not to worry about being sued, in the event the corona charlatans are wrong.

At Ohio State, players participating in voluntary football workouts had to sign a document assuming the risk of catching COVID-19.

Via the Columbus Dispatch, players had to sign a two-page document containing a “pledge to take responsibility for my own health and help stop the spread of the COVID-19.” The document also states that “although the university is following the coronavirus guidelines issued by the CDC and other experts to reduce the spread of infection, I can never be completely shielded from all risk of illness caused by COVID-19 or other infections.”

Refusal to sign the document supposedly won’t affect the scholarship status of players. But, obviously, if players refuse to sign and in turn can’t participate in voluntary workouts, someone else who does sign and participate could begin to make the kind of impression that could cause the scholarship player to begin to fall out of favor.

It’s one thing for a professional football team to foist the risks of the virus onto players who are showing up and participating in workouts that lead to a football season entailing significant compensation. College football players don’t get paid, and now they’re being asked (at least in Columbus) to assume the full risk of showing up and participating in workouts aimed at helping them, and in turn the football program, perform better in the fall.
These waivers under contract law will not hold up in court, no more that signing an operative consent form prior to surgery precludes a patient from successfully suing a surgeon for a poor outcome. And the implications of the scenarios of liability go beyond this. For example, the waivers only apply to people who sign them, not to family members who catch it from someone who signed it. The waivers will not wipe out the responsibility of the "employer" to ensure a safe work environment...........and there will always be circumstances where the environment will make it impossible to adhere to the rules set up for the player signing the waiver. This is just another mess in the making.

The Big Ten will play conference-only schedules in all fall sports, including football, should the league be able to participate in athletic events in the face of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the conference announced Thursday.

As the first member of the Bowl Subdivision to take such a step, the Big Ten’s move could portend similar changes across the highest level of college sports given the continued uncertainty caused by COVID-19.

“We are facing uncertain and unprecedented times, and the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes, coaches, game officials, and others associated with our sports programs and campuses remain our number one priority,” the conference said in a statement.
***https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/09/big-ten-football-reduces-season-schedule-only-conference-games/5408329002/

The corona charlatans will shout that young people have nothing at all to worry about when it comes to the virus that has killed more than 100,000 Americans this year. But those who potentially would be sued for exposing young people to a virus that in theory could make them seriously ill or worse would prefer not to worry about being sued, in the event the corona charlatans are wrong.e pal

If the players don't want to participate it is understandable, but they should have their scholarships stripped then.

They are only getting one for their participation in the football program. If they don't feel like it is safe for them to show up and participate, then why are they getting a scholarship? It should be voided and then can come back a year or so later to try to make the team as a walk on or if their skill set still demands a scholarship.

They are only getting one for their participation in the football program. If they don't feel like it is safe for them to show up and participate, then why are they getting a scholarship? It should be voided and then can come back a year or so later to try to make the team as a walk on or if their skill set still demands a scholarship.
This seems like a good time for college players to finally unionize.

UH will limit seating to 25 percent for football

Joseph Duarte , Houston Chronicle Aug. 7, 2020 Updated: Aug. 7, 2020 8:01 p.m.

University of Houston's TDECU Stadium photographed Tuesday, March 31, 2020, in Houston. The university closed its campus to help prevent the further spread of COVID-19 virus.

From the pre-game environment to kickoff, TDECU Stadium will have a different feel this season.

Attendance at University of Houston home games will be limited to 25 percent capacity for the 2020 football season, the school announced Friday, as part of safety protocols to help fight the spread of COVID-19.

Another casualty: no organized tailgating.

“To ensure a safe environment for our season-ticket holders, students and fans we have made the decision to further reduce capacity for the upcoming football season,” Chris Pezman, UH’s vice president for athletics, said in a statement. “We will continue to consult with our university administration along with state and local health officials to make any necessary changes to our protocols, if needed.”

Based on TDECU Stadium’s capacity of 40,000 that would cap capacity at approximately 10,000. In June, Gov. Greg Abbott issued a statewide mandate of 50 percent capacity for all stadiums hosting professional or collegiate games.

Texas A&M is planning to play at 50 percent capacity, which would be 55,000 fans, and Texas has not announced plans although it is looking at both 50 and 25 percent options for its 100,000-seat stadium.

At UH, fans will enter through designated gates at TDECU Stadium and must wear proper face coverings, with the exception when eating and drinking, the school said.

THE REST OF THE STORY

I have forgone my UH season tickets for this upcoming season. It’s going to be an empty autumn with no football games and tailgates to go to.

The Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences have voted to postpone their 2020 football season. The conferences announced the decision on yesterday that all fall sports in 2020 will be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. The conferences will attempt to play football in the spring.

The Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences have voted to postpone their 2020 football season. The conferences announced the decision on yesterday that all fall sports in 2020 will be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. The conferences will attempt to play football in the spring.

There could be a lot of push back when trying to get 2 seasons of football played within a 12 month time frame. CFB just looking at the dollars and not the players.

There could be a lot of push back when trying to get 2 seasons of football played within a 12 month time frame. CFB just looking at the dollars and not the players.

I’m pretty sure the “spring” is nothing more than a placeholder. Way too many “I don’t knows”.

Father of the Veer and legendary Houston Cougar football coach, Bill Yeoman passed away today at 92.

Ahh.. those were the good ol days. Every Sunday morning, way back when it was rabbit ears and only 3 TV networks. I’d watch the Bill Yeoman show before Frank Gifford‘s NFL Today. I remember the one where Bill had to ‘apologize‘ for beating Tulsa 100-6. Like it was yesterday. :lol:

More and more of these myocarditis cases in college football players are cropping up while dealing with a COVID infection. The post COVID myocarditis cases tend to have a more severe course and long-term damage than those reported for other causes.

****************************************************************************************************

Georgia State football player says he has heart issue caused by COVID, will sit out season
Panthers freshman quarterback Mikele Colasurdo said on Twitter that GSU protocols helped him discover the condition.

Author: Jonathan Raymond (11Alive)

Published: 12:27 PM EDT August 20, 2020
Updated: 1:32 PM EDT August 20, 2020

ATLANTA — A freshman quarterback on Georgia State's football team says he will be sitting out the season after being diagnosed with a heart issue related to COVID-19.

Mikele Colasurdo credited the "procedures and tests set forth by GSU that allowed the doctors to find this condition in my heart and help keep me safe."

"I am very thankful for everyone who has reached out and prayed for me," Colasurdo wrote in a note posted to his Twitter account. "I am also incredibly thankful for coach Elliott and trainer Bob for providing a safe environment for us to train and practice."

Colasurdo, who was named the South Carolina Gatorade High School Player of the Year, added that he "can't wait to watch my team compete this fall and I could not be more excited to return for the 2021 season! Go Panthers!"
Due to privacy laws, GSU said it couldn't comment on "matters related to individual student-athlete health." However, the school did provide a statement to say that it is working with medical partners "to provide the best possible care to its student-athletes."

"The GSU medical staff regularly reviews the latest information and recommendations about SARS-CoV-2 infection in athletes, including information about cardiac concerns, and implements all relevant evaluation and treatment protocols," the statement said. "We believe these protocols are what will keep us safe this season."

Last week Dr. Jonathan Kim, a leading sports cardiologist who practices within the Emory Healthcare network, outlined the COVID-linked heart issues athletes can possibly face.

Colasurdo did not outline his exact diagnosis, but the most high-profile instance of an athlete opting out of playing so far is probably that of Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez, who developed myocarditis.

Dr. Kim described that condition as an "inflammation of heart muscle, and it's typically brought on by viral infection."
The issue has acutely impacted college football, as the Big Ten and Pac-12 both postponed their fall seasons last week. In the Big Ten's case, ESPN reports the decision was directly linked to at least five athletes in the conference being found to have myocarditis.

Dr. Kim said the inflammation can present itself in different ways, from being hardly noticeable at all to being incredibly severe. More commonly, it's not very severe in the general population.

But the physical exertion athletes regularly undergo "can actually make the inflammation worse."
"And when you have that inflammatory process within the heart muscle, if you are engaging in high-end physical activity, that could potentially precipitate dangerous heart rhythms which could lead to a cardiac arrest or catastrophic outcome," Dr. Kim said.

"We know myocarditis is a more common cause of sudden cardiac arrest or sudden cardiac death in athletes," he added. "It's certainly something we take very seriously in athletic patients."

Early research out of China showed heart complications in as many as 20% of COVID cases. That data is still lacking in many respects - with further research in late July finding a high rate (60%) of myocardial (heart muscle) inflammation in a set of 100 German patients recovering from COVID-19.

I think the 12th man is their designated covid catcher. My neighbor insists "if you just take zinc you cannot catch covid. It's impossible!"

I am just fortunate that zinc is part of the multivitamin I take.

Wisconsin-Nebraska game canceled because of COVID-19 outbreak
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 28, 2020, 11:26 AM EDT

The Big Ten first scheduled its season, then canceled its season, then re-scheduled its season amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Last week the Big Ten finally started its season, and this week a Big Ten game has to be canceled because of an outbreak.

Wisconsin has announced that its football program is shutting down for at least one week because of a COVID-19 outbreak that has seen six players and six staffers test positive. Among those testing positive are starting quarterback Graham Mertz and head coach Paul Chryst.

The eight-game Big Ten season has no bye weeks, so the Wisconsin-Nebraska game will apparently need to be canceled, and not just postponed.

Although most major programs are playing, the college football season has been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, and there are few signs that college football (or America) is trending in the right direction.

Texas in yet another OT game, this time in Stillwater against #6 OkSt

Penn State RB Journey Brown will be retiring from football after learning of a serious heart condition. He was considered a potential 1st-round pick. Now he has been found to have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy while going through COVID-19 testing in September.

Well, thank God they diagnosed it. Man, he had everything in one package …. almost too good to be true. It's a shame he can't play ball, but he's got the tools to make a difference - in many areas !

Back