Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

College Football Random Thought Of The Day

Looks like fans aren't willing to travel west. Empty seats would not be a good look. LINK

Fans hoping to attend Monday's College Football Playoff National Championship game between Alabama and Clemson can now do so for a surprisingly reasonable price.

According to Josh Dubow of The Associated Press, ticket prices for the title game have dropped significantly and are now available at less than half of their previous value prior to the CFP semifinal round.

TicketIQ noted that tickets with a face value of $475 are available for as little as $135 on the secondary market, and tickets can be found for even less on StubHub at $115, per Dubow.

Further testing confirms torn ACL for Jeffery Simmons
Posted by Charean Williams on February 12, 2019, 2:30 PM EST

Further testing confirmed a torn anterior cruciate ligament for Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

Simmons injured his knee during a routine drill while training for pre-draft workouts.

He already was out of the NFL Scouting Combine because of a no contest plea to an assault charge that led to a one-game suspension while in college. Now, Simmons won’t conduct a Pro Day workout either.

Scouts will have to rely on his game tape.

Simmons had 30.5 tackles for loss, six sacks and five fumbles over 37 college games and was rated among the top players at his position before his injury, which will affect his availability for offseason workouts, training camp and likely the start of the season.

Welcome to Day 2 of the draft, Mr. Simmons.

Looks that way.

I could see a team picking him in lat Rd.1 early Rd.2.

For instance I could see the Cardinals drafting Bosa 1-1 if there are no good trade opportunities. Then picking Simmons 2-1 and forming a bad ass DL when put with Chandler Jones.

I could see a team picking him in lat Rd.1 early Rd.2.

For instance I could see the Cardinals drafting Bosa 1-1 if there are no good trade opportunities. Then picking Simmons 2-1 and forming a bad ass DL when put with Chandler Jones.
The Cowboys took Jaylon Smith early in the 2nd, knowing he would miss his entire rookie season. I think it would take a team whose GM is completely confident in his job security to make a pick like that. Like the Cowboys. Or the Pats. Steve Keim is already on the hot seat. If I were to mock Simmons to someone, it would be to New England (who has an extra 2nd round pick).

The Cowboys took Jaylon Smith early in the 2nd, knowing he would miss his entire rookie season. I think it would take a team whose GM is completely confident in his job security to make a pick like that. Like the Cowboys. Or the Pats. Steve Keim is already on the hot seat. If I were to mock Simmons to someone, it would be to New England (who has an extra 2nd round pick).

This is how the Pats stay great yr after yr, this and BB/Brady.

A rd. 2 Patriot

Sounds like a prediction... I don't normally bet - but how about a friendly wager?

If he goes to the Patriot's in rd. 2 - Then I will give you a 'Like' for every post where you mention Rick Smith or our 'former GM' regime whatever
If he does not - Then you can't mention Rick Smith in any way including backhanded mentions like 'the former GM' or 'a new way of doing things now' for 1 month!

And of course - :kitten:

All in good fun - but come on.... you know you want that action.

Reactions: Max
Sounds like a prediction... I don't normally bet - but how about a friendly wager?

If he goes to the Patriot's in rd. 2 - Then I will give you a 'Like' for every post where you mention Rick Smith or our 'former GM' regime whatever
If he does not - Then you can't mention Rick Smith in any way including backhanded mentions like 'the former GM' or 'a new way of doing things now' for 1 month!

And of course - :kitten:

All in good fun - but come on.... you know you want that action.

How about Simmons will be a Pat.

BTW, I usually lose bets. Which is why I don't really gamble. Lol

On Simmons, yahoo did a story on prospects with incidents of violence in their past:

Quote from the article:
Simmons, a potential top-10 pick, was seen on video punching a woman repeatedly as she laid on a street.

Here’s a link to the whole article

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-report...iled-effort-legislate-violence-232351526.html

I would think this combined with the acl would push him pretty far down the board for most teams

A rd. 2 Patriot
The Patriots/Bellichick are not typically patient with obtaining a player, just to see him potentially sit for most, if not all of the season (with no guarantee of perfomance level if/when he does return). They take chances on players with a troubled background with immediate NFL-based impact upon return, but not usually on players likely to be unavailable for long periods of time due to significant injury.........and especially with unproven NFL value.

The Patriots/Bellichick are not typically patient with obtaining a player, just to see him potentially sit for most, if not all of the season (with no guarantee of performance level if/when he does return).
There are only a few players entering any draft that fit that criteria. The Pats did take Marcus Cannon when it was known he had some type of cancer. They also took a chance on Rob Gronkowski, who had sat out the previous year with a back injury.

Trying to predict a player to a team outside of the top 10 is like throwing darts blindfolded. A shot in the dark. But I will say that the team that does take Simmons (a likely top 15 pick without the character/injury concerns) will be one that has a GM that's on very firm footing. Like the Patriots and Belichick.

There are only a few players entering any draft that fit that criteria. The Pats did take Marcus Cannon when it was known he had some type of cancer. They also took a chance on Rob Gronkowski, who had sat out the previous year with a back injury.

Trying to predict a player to a team outside of the top 10 is like throwing darts blindfolded. A shot in the dark. But I will say that the team that does take Simmons (a likely top 15 pick without the character/injury concerns) will be one that has a GM that's on very firm footing. Like the Patriots and Belichick.
and does not have an immediate need for that position or for that matter any position.

Last edited:
Back