Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Clemons Released

Nawzer

Alienz
Doesn't surprise me, he didn't do anything at all for us or at least anything significant worth mentioning. I thought he would be a solid player for us but i guess it didn't work out due to his injuries. I think they're confident with the young players like Antwaan Peek and Jason Babin. We'll see what happens.

Nawzer

Alienz
I don't know if there are any veteran outside linebackers out there that we could sign. But i think we have good depth with guys like Peek, Shantee Orr, Babin, and that special teams guy i forgot his name but he was solid for us last year.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Texans | Clemons Released - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 14 May 2004 11:50:41 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Houston Texans have released LB Charlie Clemons"

edo783

Hall of Fame
I am a bit surprised by the move. The dollar difference between cutting him and keeping him is only about 350K. I thought for that amount they would keep him as an experienced backup. Oh well, I think it shows some real confidence in some of the young guys and that is a very good thing.

S

SESupergenius

Sometimes it's not always about money. We could have cut him for several reasons, one of which is to let him have ample time to try to sign with another team. The writing was on the wall once we selected Babin in the 1st round, we must have a boat load of confidence in him to let go of a veteran like Clemons. He'll catch on with another team if his injuries are not nagging him. We are sitting very good with the salary cap so we that shouldn't have been a consideration to keep him.

aj.

All Pro
Clemons is only about 90-95 percent recovered from the surgery and still cannot run at full speed.
Didn't realize this, so I'm really not all that surprised he was released.

cap1

Rookie
I am glad he was released. Now Babins and Peek know that one of them will be the man at outside lb. I know Babins is penciled in, but Peek may compete for that spot also.

When does Camp start?

Fiddy

All Pro
texan279 said:
If Peek started, where would we put Wong? He makes way too much money to play backup.
I dont see Peek taking the starting spot opposite Babin this year, he will probably be used as a situational pass rusher and next year win the spot from Wong. If Peek does win the starting spot opposite Babin this year then Wong could be two things:
1) Move him back inside and pair him with Sharper and use Foreman as the top ILB reserve. (I think Foreman and Sharper were on the field way too much last year and I think moving Wong inside would keep Foreman and Sharper fresh)
2) Wong could be the top reserve at each LB position

texan279

Hall of Fame
But then Wong would be our 2nd highest paid LB on the team playing backup, I just can't see it happening.

Fiddy

All Pro
texan279 said:
But then Wong would be our 2nd highest paid LB on the team playing backup, I just can't see it happening.
Thats why I dont see Peek winning the OLB position from Wong, although I dont see why you wouldnt want to put your best players on the field regardless of salary.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Because that would be 11.5 mil tied up in Sharper, Wong, and Foreman this year. That is about 15% of our cap tied up in 3 LB's, with Wong making 3.8 mil this year. He would make more than twice as much as Foreman, who is a starter, to come in as relief. Way too much for a backup LB.

edo783

Hall of Fame
I think the question might be "Is Peek strong enough against the run to hold up for all the downs?". If he is, Wong would likely move inside, something that I think would be a good thing. May not see it until next year or possibly late this year, but at some point, IMO the LB line up will be Babin, Wong, Sharper, Peek. Foreman as ILB backup and Orr as OLB backup and a couple of others thrown in as additional backups/rotation.

Mistril48

Rookie
texan279 said:
If you start Peek and use Wong as a backup, the cap implications are exactly the same as if you start Wong and use Peek as a backup, so I don't see that as a factor (from the teams point of view), particularly in his last contract year. I would guess that the Texans have decided that Wong is definately going to be one of the linebackers they keep AND that they have room in the cap this year for their LB group.

I have no idea how the Texans are going to use Wong, Peek and Foreman, but I feel that Babin (they will give Babin every chance to keep the starting LOLB spot) and Sharper are set.

pittbull

Rookie
I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. This guy was a bust from day one. Not quick enough to play the OLB position and looked out of shape most of the season! Peek will bring the attitude and aggressiveness to start the season. Question is, what are we going to do with Peek and Babin? Does Peef go to Weak OLB and Wong get moved inside?