Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Chronicle: The Mallett/Hoyer Competition

Reported by Aaron Wilson in the Chronicle:

“We have to throw the ball down the field more,” O’Brien said. “We had some guys open. A lot of that was pressure (on the quarterback) with the (backup linemen).”

H1aBSKW.png

Again, it appears that last night's long ball deficiency was more based on the QBs' support casts than the QBs themselves.

My take: QB #15 looks taller than QB #7. Other than that, they both pretty much seem to be the same
crummy QB through the first 2 preseason games..

Glad it's over now folks can shut up about it and move on as the whole outrage about him naming a starter for "chemistry" was a bunch of b.s. Anyway. Last year fitz was named the starter from day one and took all the 1st team reps and the offense still ran like garbage with him at the helm.

As for Hoyer being named the starter It was the way I thought bob was going to go after Saturday's game anyway. Hoyer just looked more willing to let plays develop..mallet was to quick to dump it off. I thought bob Would pick Hoyer Not b/c I thought he had his mind made up from the jump, but b/c mallet had done nothing to take it.

The doofuses at 610 are cooking up a conspiracy theory that mallet wasn't allowed to throw it deep b/c bob couldn't have mallet connecting on 50 yard Tds and still name Hoyer as his starter...assuming that he was planning to name him the starter all along.

The media in this town is a joke.

As for Hoyer being named the starter It was the way I thought bob was going to go after Saturday's game anyway. Hoyer just looked more willing to let plays develop..mallet was to quick to dump it off. I thought he go that way Not b/c I thought he had his mind made up from the jump, but b/c mallet had done nothing to take it.

& I thought that was a plus for Mallett. Take your three step drop, decision should be made on third step, drive forward & throw. Even if that means throwing it away. This is a team sport, every body has to do their job. If the guys aren't open, or not going to be open, throw it away, live to play another down.

Now, if OB told him to go out there & imagine it's a game winning drive & Mallett was still going about it the same way, then yeah, I agree. He's not the guy we want. In that situation, you want to extend the play if you need to. Even if it's at the beginning of the game & we've gone 3 & out for the two previous possessions, I can see OB saying, "Hey, we gotta make something happen here." & Mallett didn't "get it"

& being that OB should already know that Hoyer can run the system, he may have told him something like that & wasn't happy with what he got.

Last edited:
& I thought that was a plus for Mallett. Take your three step drop, decision should be made on third step, drive forward & throw. Even if that means throwing it away. This is a team sport, every body has to do their job. If the guys aren't open, or not going to be open, throw it away, live to play another down.

Now, if OB told him to go out there & imagine it's a game winning drive & Mallett was still going about it the same way, then yeah, I agree. He's not the guy we want. In that situation, you want to extend the play if you need to. Even if it's at the beginning of the game & we've gone 3 & out for the two previous possessions, I can see OB saying, "Hey, we gotta make something happen here." & Hoyer didn't "get it"

& being that OB should already know that Hoyer can run the system, he may have told him something like that & wasn't happy with what he got.

Depends. It's only a plus if indeed it was suppose to be a 3 step drop, 1 read and get it out. Sometimes you play right into the defenses hands On 3rd and longs when throw it quickly like that because more often than not you're throwing underneath...which is what happened on mallet's last drive.

Couple of things I noticed...Every qb but Mallet took hits and sacks b/c they sat in and worked the pocket trying to wait for plays to develop downfield.

Another thing I found peculiar is Savage and Hoyer also worked more from under center than Mallet whom was almost always working from shotgun.

I think when bob went back and looked at the tape he was looking for evidence of guys going through their progressions consistently. when he watched mallet I think he saw that mallet was a little too quick on the trigger at times..which can indicates you're not really surveying the field, you're relying too much on presnap reads.

My problem is this if I can call it one, if your 2 qbs since being head coach are dink and dunk guys, why not keep schaub? Schaub at his best was way better than Hoyer and Fitzpatrick. Basically, the Texans are doing the same thing the team did when Manning was qb. A team can build everything they want, but until you get a qb, you will miss the playoffs pretty much every year and never be a credible threat. Baltimore didn't threaten the division or the conference until Flacco.

I expect to be successful no matter which of the three QBs is starting and we don't have a recent history which would make one think all three will not get a start at some point this season.

Depends. It's only a plus if indeed it was suppose to be a 3 step drop, 1 read and get it out.

Three step drop means three reads. You look at your first read on the first step, second read on the second step, third read on the third..... make your decision, then step into the direction you're going with the ball.

But yeah, you're right. If he's taking a 3 step drop when it should be a 5 or 7.. could be a problem.

My problem is this if I can call it one, if your 2 qbs since being head coach are dink and dunk guys, why not keep schaub? Schaub at his best was way better than Hoyer and Fitzpatrick. Basically, the Texans are doing the same thing the team did when Manning was qb. A team can build everything they want, but until you get a qb, you will miss the playoffs pretty much every year and never be a credible threat. Baltimore didn't threaten the division or the conference until Flacco.

I think you answered your own question. Matt Schaub's best day's are way behind him.

As far as this dink & dunk thing, neither Mallett or Hoyer looked like dink & dunk guys when they played real games. & until our OL proves they can protect our QB, we should use dinks & dunks as often as possible.

Three step drop means three reads. You look at your first read on the first step, second read on the second step, third read on the third..... make your decision, then step into the direction you're going with the ball.

But yeah, you're right. If he's taking a 3 step drop when it should be a 5 or 7.. could be a problem.

Im fairly sure that 3 step drops are typically for short timing routes and so quick you don't have time to go through 3 reads. You're too close to the line (danger of getting sacked) which is why you're typically only reading 1 guy on the defense so as to get it out as fast as possible.

I think you answered your own question. Matt Schaub's best day's are way behind him.

As far as this dink & dunk thing, neither Mallett or Hoyer looked like dink & dunk guys when they played real games. & until our OL proves they can protect our QB, we should use dinks & dunks as often as possible.
Would you rather have hoyer,fitz,or schaub right now? Hoyer is a dink and dunk guy because of his arm talent. Fitzpatrick as we witnessed last year has to put his entire body into a throw and he had accuracy issues.

Would you rather have hoyer,fitz,or schaub right now? Hoyer is a dink and dunk guy because of his arm talent. Fitzpatrick as we witnessed last year has to put his entire body into a throw and he had accuracy issues.
In a not even close decision, I'd rather have either Fitzpatrick or Hoyer (or Mallett, or Savage). Schaub is a semi-crippled has been.

Schaub is done, toast, finito. He's suckling (ok that was a typo but it's funny and true) at backup QB at this point.

And I was a big pre-injury Schaub fan.

Well OB just said he didn't put a lot of stock into the games because they are asking them to do specific things and they aren't game planning. Decision was based on practice.

Savage, Hoyer then Mallett.
Based on the games I would have gone: Mallett, Hoyer then Savage. That is putting some stock into Savage playing against the other teams 3's. Neither Mallett or Hoyer played good Saturday and I would give Hoyer an incomplete grade against the 49ers because he only played one series, and I thought Mallett looked good going 10-11 against SF.

I thought this was the direction O'Brien was going and neither QB really distanced himself from what I have seen so I can't fault OB going with Hoyer if that's what his gut is telling him to do.

I was hoping that, but if you read what OB said, he's going with Hoyer for good.

I wouldn't say for good or for the whole season. There is always a door for someone else to come in. I am sure there a possibility for Mallett if Hoyer craps the bed.

Unless your Gary Kubiak.

Hoyer was the guy the whole time. Mallett would have had to throw a TD each series to get the job.

You know, first off, not a damn one of these three are really that interesting. We just want them to be that for our sakes, so they are. We haven't had anywhere close to a QB on this team since a healthy Schaub, and you ******* well know it.

Whatever. Even with the left overs we can still make the playoffs, so I'm not totally over concerned just yet.

I never liked Schaub. He had a good year but there was no way he could win an AFC conference game. He folded like a house of cards.

I never liked Schaub. He had a good year but there was no way he could win an AFC conference game. He folded like a house of cards.

Doesn't matter. We still haven't had a QB as good as him since. And I'm not a Schaub groupie by any means. I was glad to see him go.

Just sayin'

I know, he was the best of the litter. I just am still pissed that he was part of the second rate parade of helmsmen for so long.

I know, he was the best of the litter. I just am still pissed that he was part of the second rate parade of helmsmen for so long.

The fact is, we've never had one. Schaub was good for maybe two years at most, that isn't what you'd call a good QB. In the HISTORY of the Texans we have yet to have anyone significant at the QB position.

Doesn't matter. We still haven't had a QB as good as him since. And I'm not a Schaub groupie by any means. I was glad to see him go.

Just sayin'

I was never a groupie either, but when he was healthy, we won more than we didn't & I like winning. It's a habit. Whether we get to the Super Bowl or not, I want our draft picks coming in expecting to win. I want FAs coming in this.king they're the missing piece.

I'd take a healthy Schaub right now .... He was a lot better than people give him credit for , the team around him , not so much.

You know, first off, not a damn one of these three are really that interesting. We just want them to be that for our sakes, so they are. We haven't had anywhere close to a QB on this team since a healthy Schaub, and you ******* well know it.

Whatever. Even with the left overs we can still make the playoffs, so I'm not totally over concerned just yet.

Yep , all three of them are at best .... not good enough.

That really sucks because this team still hasn't started the process of integrating that guy who will be the QB for the next several years and the longer we have to wait for that to happen , the longer we have to wait to be real contenders. That's too bad .... because I think this team , other than the QB spot will be good enough everywhere else to be real contenders. This defense has the potential to be the leagues best.

Coming to an MB near you in 2016 - Who's your QB V3.0

Back