Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[CHRONIC] Tony Dungy likes Texans’ look

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/barron/7184675.html

One of the primary reasons the Texans begin their ninth NFL season at 49-79 — 30 games under .500 — is that they are 1-15 against the Indianapolis Colts.

So it was considerably amusing this week to hear former Indianapolis coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy, who presided over 13 of those Colts wins over Houston, say he’s now on the Texans’ bandwagon.

“I’ve been (impressed) for a couple of years now,” Dungy said. “They’ve put together some good drafts. They have some talented players. I love Gary Kubiak as a coach, and I think they’ve got a great offensive system in place.”

Dungy said the Texans’ dismal record against Indianapolis revolves in large part around kismet — “Something happens,” he said. “It’s always a tight game, but somehow Indianapolis pulls it out.” — and in part on the fact the Texans have yet to attain the mental attitude to handle the Colts.

“They’re not soft, but it’s (the feeling) that somehow, some way, something is going to happen,” Dungy said. “My last year there, we were 12, 13 points down with four minutes to go (in the infamous Rosen-copter game in 2008), and somehow they were sitting there saying, ‘Hey, with Peyton Manning, somehow we’re going to lose this game.’

“And that is what happened. It’s happened to them the last four or five times they’ve played. They know they’re good enough and talented enough, but they’re waiting for the other shoe to drop and something to happen. Somehow they have to play a game as well as they can play (against Indianapolis) and win it, and then they’ll be fine.”

Their next chance comes opening day, with Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf on the scene for CBS. Dungy will be watching, and so will Fox Sports analyst Jimmy Johnson, who cited the Texans as one of the teams he thinks will be on the upswing in 2010.

The notably blunt Johnson wasn’t as precise as Dungy when it came to noting the reasons for the Texans’ past failings. However, it sounds like he wasn’t too impressed with the pre-Rick Smith front-office regime.

“The organization has struggled,” Johnson said. “If you don’t have the right scouts, the right people making decisions on personnel … if you have dead money in your system, those are players you’re not going to have. If it doesn’t hurt this year, it will hurt next year or the year after.

“You can’t make those kinds of mistakes. Don’t go cheap when it comes to the organization — the general manager, the personnel director, the people making decisions. … The most important person is whoever is making decisions on talent. Pay (them) whatever it takes.”

Johnson noted that in 1990, some in the Cowboys organization wanted him to take Michigan State offensive lineman Tony Mandarich over Troy Aikman. Can you imagine how that decision would have changed the course of NFL history?

Re: [CHRONIC] Tony Dungy likes Texans’ look

I'm sure there's plenty who "like the Texans look". It's how it translates to the field that matters. You could have 22 pro-bowlers on a team, but it wouldn't mean dittly until they show it on the field.

Tony Dungy said:
“And that is what happened. It’s happened to them the last four or five times they’ve played. They know they’re good enough and talented enough, but they’re waiting for the other shoe to drop and something to happen. Somehow they have to play a game as well as they can play (against Indianapolis) and win it, and then they’ll be fine.”
I think this is a huge thing right here. I just feel like our players don't have that mentality anymore. There's a whole new attitude on this team, both offense and defense, and I think every player is going to go out there against every team knowing they can win, knowing they should win and expecting that they will. Enough with the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" which I definitely think we had... when we're up against Indy (or any other team) this season, I have a feeling our Offense is going to want to further the lead and our defense is going to have this chip on their shoulder that they're not going to let the other team come back. I think we've got a mentality now that we want to punish opposing teams.

I got my hand over my mouth right now because I'm at work and I just want to scream because this game is not being played RIGHT NOW!!!! Please God, let us be great this year!!!!!

I think this is a huge thing right here. I just feel like our players don't have that mentality anymore. There's a whole new attitude on this team, both offense and defense, and I think every player is going to go out there against every team knowing they can win, knowing they should win and expecting that they will. Enough with the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" which I definitely think we had... when we're up against Indy (or any other team) this season, I have a feeling our Offense is going to want to further the lead and our defense is going to have this chip on their shoulder that they're not going to let the other team come back. I think we've got a mentality now that we want to punish opposing teams.

Our Core team has 3+ years under their belts now. I'm sure they aren't the same old Texans.

Our Core team has 3+ years under their belts now. I'm sure they aren't the same old Texans.

I agree for the most part but I'm thinking 1 of "Our Core" only has 1yr under his belt and will be at home for the first 4 games. Not suggesting the season hinges on those games but it can't be disounted that he'll be missed.

I don't think the problem has been any inherent mentality of our team. I know it's widely publicized that we had certain players (re: Dunta) that had the "oh no, here it comes again" mentality. But, I think a large part of it was a strategic inability to finish.

Love it, or hate it, Kubiak's philosophy is to build an early lead and milk the game with the run. Last season we were woefully incapable of that. I think if Foster can be the bell-cow is renders that worry moot.

If we get a 3 score lead against Indy and are able to pound consistent 3-4-5 yard runs, Payton won't have the time to mount a comeback (literally).

so was kubes usually cursed his first 3 years due to the Capers Era ???? hmmm

In all honesty, I think many people are extremely frustrated with Kubiak, because they believe we should have been able to win (at least more than we had) with that team.

I think that team was capable of more than 6-10, more than 8-8.
Of course, Carr did not take advantage of his opportunity with the the new regime, and 2007 our only offensive playmaker missed 7 games.

But Kubiak (and I'm sure Rick Smith & Bob McNair were on board) decided to go young, and build a solid foundation. We were changing out so many starters on both sides of the ball in '06 & '07, that realistically expecting more wins was probably a stretch.

meh......talk is cheap. Let's see what they do against Indy in the opener.

This.

I took my soap off last offseason. You'd better bet that I have another
bar in reserve. This team is barking like Bernard Pollard right now. I wanna
see if it's a pit bull, or a poodle. How they start the season will tell us
which.

The notably blunt Johnson wasn’t as precise as Dungy when it came to noting the reasons for the Texans’ past failings. However, it sounds like he wasn’t too impressed with the pre-Rick Smith front-office regime.

“The organization has struggled,” Johnson said. “If you don’t have the right scouts, the right people making decisions on personnel … if you have dead money in your system, those are players you’re not going to have. If it doesn’t hurt this year, it will hurt next year or the year after.

“You can’t make those kinds of mistakes. Don’t go cheap when it comes to the organization — the general manager, the personnel director, the people making decisions. … The most important person is whoever is making decisions on talent. Pay (them) whatever it takes.”
I'm not sure what JJ is referring to here. Obviously, he was criticizing Casserly. But, McNair was certainly paying Casserly more than he is Rick Smith. I don't see how that can be about $$$. Unless....

Unless Johnson had discussed the job with McNair, and Jimmy's price tag was too high??? I've never even heard a rumor to that effect. Just trying to make sense of that statement.
Sage Rosenfels is a dunce.
Gary Kubiak made the call. Both of the calls that led to Rosenfels' turnovers. Just saying.

Gary Kubiak made the call. Both of the calls that led to Rosenfels' turnovers. Just saying.

The play call was not to jump into the air like a jackass. The Texans were
in field goal position, with a 17 point lead, in the fourth quarter.

He actually turned the ball over 3 times in something like 5 minutes. He
completely melted down, when he would have usurped the starting position
from Schaub simply by protecting the ball. Sage completely ruined any chance
at all of becoming a starter in the NFL with that single performance.
He will NEVER be trusted.

Take it for what it's worth:
Sports talk show host, Matt Thomas, was in Minnesota when Sage got traded.

He claims to have witnessed Sage getting booed during PRACTICE in
preseason. Matt says, "There must be some reason the Vikings put three
players on a plane to beg Brett Favre to come out of retirement."

The Texans inability to win vs the Colts (with just one exception) can be traced to one Peyton Manning. He is great, surely one of the greatest ever by anybodys rankings, but his impact on a game often goes even beyond his enormous abilities. Just like when MJ was ruling the NBA and routinely got preferential treatment for traveling and fouls, Manning gets the same kind of preferential treatment.
In the game in Reliant last year the Texans were killing Manning & the Colts until that phantom pass-interferance call against one of their DBs (can't remember which DB it was, just remember the play ?), and it reversed the whole momentum of the game. Of course at that point Manning did get into the collective heads of the Texans D and was then in control. But he got a lot of help. Does Matt Shaub/the Texans get that call, let alone in Indy ? I don't think so.

He completely melted down, when he would have usurped the starting position from Schaub simply by protecting the ball.
That's ridiculous. Rosenfels was never going to take Schaub's job. He was and is a NFL backup QB. Something the Texans currently lack.

The Texans inability to win vs the Colts (with just one exception) can be traced to one Peyton Manning. He is great, surely one of the greatest ever by anybodys rankings, but his impact on a game often goes even beyond his enormous abilities. Just like when MJ was ruling the NBA and routinely got preferential treatment for traveling and fouls, Manning gets the same kind of preferential treatment.
In the game in Reliant last year the Texans were killing Manning & the Colts until that phantom pass-interferance call against one of their DBs (can't remember which DB it was, just remember the play ?), and it reversed the whole momentum of the game. Of course at that point Manning did get into the collective heads of the Texans D and was then in control. But he got a lot of help. Does Matt Shaub/the Texans get that call, let alone in Indy ? I don't think so.

It was on Jacques Reeves, and it was a pure bullshit call. It was not the
"aura" of Manning that caused them to lose the game. It was their lack of
mental toughness, and they simply stopped giving a **** defensively.
All they need to do, is to stop going "space cadet" in the fourth quarter,
and beating the Colts won't be so tough.

The Rockets, under Olajuwon, had no problem beating the Bulls. They
especially owned them at The Summit.

Back