Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[CHRONIC] Running back on Texans' draft wish list

Of course....I'm jaded, so that's just the anger and resentment talkin' right there.

Yeah, can you put a lid on the bash Kubiak slant in your posts and turn the page please. You're boring. Go run for office if you want campaign so much.

I would have locked up Coffee in the 2nd. When round 2 was over, and Coffee had not been taken, I knew for certain that he would not be there when it was our turn--Kubiak is full of crap if he's trying to tell the media and the fans that he really thought he'd be there for us in the 3rd. Round 2 was the round to take him in. He wasn't worth a 1st, but a 2nd would not have been shameful.

Back on track now: Even though I drafted Slaton in 2008 and he worked out decently for me, I would have used a 2nd round pick on Coffee.

And then guess what? I'd be using him once Slaton's hands became Jell-O in 2009. So my way would have worked.

I'm just saying that it's not like we need to sit here and act as if there was no way we could have foreseen Slaton's problems and that we would have needed another solid RB in there. I wouldn't have rested at RB in the 2009 draft. I would have gone that route again, in round 2, with Coffee. With the passing game we have, he would have done well IMO.

Kubiak gets a fail for the following:

1. Not grabbing Coffee, then faking shock that he wasn't there in the 3rd. That they would have him rated as "available" for our pick in the 3rd round is laughable to me. Seriously? I mean, he's obviously not the 2nd Coming or anything...but then again, look at our RB crop for the past 8 years. 2nd round would have been acceptable, considering our history at the position.

2. Believing in Chris Brown to the extent he did. I just have nothing else to say here. There's no excuse for it. Probably one of the worst moves in NFL history: To have him on our roster in 2008 and then again in 2009, and then to force him on us to the extent that Kubiak did in 2009. Stoopid by even the most stringent of Stoopid classification systems.

3. Not using Foster earlier. Kubiak either thrusts RBs into the limelight to fast, over-inflating their heads, or he stashes them away until the last part of the season. The way he's gone about the RB roster has just been bizarre and erratic. With the exception of Slaton's 2008 year, Kubiak has had the worst luck with choosing his RBs and finding any consistent success.

I believe in God. And I ask God to help Gary Kubiak find one or two guys who can platoon the RB position in 2010 and do something. At this point, he's going to need divine intervention.

Have you not read anything anybody has posted or you just like going off on blind rants for ranting sake?

They took Barwin in the 2nd, which there was no problem with that pick at all. Nobody anticipated Slaton having the year he had. They wanted Coffee and Greene and both got taken before the Texans pick. Jet traded up to take Greene. Neither one of those guys were even a lock to play in this system under Kubiak. Greene's pass blocking sucks, so much he got Sanchez killed several time this year. I didn't see enough of Coffee to even speculate. You think that would have flown in Kubiak's system? Not hardly which brings me to Chris Brown and Foster...

Kubiak stuck with him for mainly pass blocking purposes. Out of Foster, Moats and Brown, Brown was the lesser of 3 evils. Foster didn't get his stuff straight until the last 3 weeks of the season when he showed it in practice. What some folks fail to understand is that running back in this system is a lot more than getting the ball and going. Kubiak is not going to put anybody, no matter what kind of runner he is, in a situation that is gonna get Schaub hurt. Moats sucks a pass blocking as well and kept putting the ball on the ground. Like it or not, and by this post, not, Brown was Kubiak's only choice when it came to a back that could do what he asked, mainly pick up your assignments and protect the QB. From a production standpoint, well that is where Chris Brown failed, not Kubiak.

So now, Slaton is done, Moats is a non factor and your only choices left are an unproven rookie who has shown you nothing in practice or Chris Brown. It is only bizarre and erratic to someone who doesn't understand the process...

Maybe now you do.

Kubiak you suck. See what you missed out on by not selecting Glen Coffee.

Games Played : 14
Games Started : 2
Att: 83 (he's had his fair share of chances)
Yds: 226
Avg: 2.7
Longest run: 17
TD: 1
Rec: 11
Yds: 76
Avg: 6.9
Longest reception: 12
TD: 0

Now it has been documented on this board that I was a huge Pro Glen Coffee guy. I also wanted Gartrell Johnson. Neither of them did anything worth a second round pick or even a 3rd.
I can't believe that we are actually taking a dump on our coach for rating a guy at a certain level and sticking to that plan vs. reaching for him. Especially when at the time RB was not too high a priority on our list because of Steve Slaton. Also available was Rashad Jennings in the sixth and I thought for sure that we would get that guy in that spot. I was mad when we didn't. Looking back, Jennings didn't amount to much and our coach made a better decision getting an undrafted guy to play and put up the same if not better season stats as all these guys in basically two games of play.

Arian Foster:

Games played: 6
Games Started :1
Att: 54
YDS: 257
Avg: 4.8
Lng: 24
TD: 3
Rec: 8
Yds: 93
Avg: 11.6
Long: 20
TD : 0

Have you not read anything anybody has posted or you just like going off on blind rants for ranting sake?

They took Barwin in the 2nd, which there was no problem with that pick at all. Nobody anticipated Slaton having the year he had. They wanted Coffee and Greene and both got taken before the Texans pick. Jet traded up to take Greene. Neither one of those guys were even a lock to play in this system under Kubiak. Greene's pass blocking sucks, so much he got Sanchez killed several time this year. I didn't see enough of Coffee to even speculate. You think that would have flown in Kubiak's system? Not hardly which brings me to Chris Brown and Foster...

Kubiak stuck with him for mainly pass blocking purposes. Out of Foster, Moats and Brown, Brown was the lesser of 3 evils. Foster didn't get his stuff straight until the last 3 weeks of the season when he showed it in practice. What some folks fail to understand is that running back in this system is a lot more than getting the ball and going. Kubiak is not going to put anybody, no matter what kind of runner he is, in a situation that is gonna get Schaub hurt. Moats sucks a pass blocking as well and kept putting the ball on the ground. Like it or not, and by this post, not, Brown was Kubiak's only choice when it came to a back that could do what he asked, mainly pick up your assignments and protect the QB. From a production standpoint, well that is where Chris Brown failed, not Kubiak.

So now, Slaton is done, Moats is a non factor and your only choices left are an unproven rookie who has shown you nothing in practice or Chris Brown. It is only bizarre and erratic to someone who doesn't understand the process...

Maybe now you do.

No what's a terrible indictment of this franchse is that since the Texans inception as a franchise which includes 2 regimes. There has been only one slightly above average RB on the roster. (D.D Williams).

2. That there's not a RB on the roster that can be coached up to even be an average RB until the last 3 games of the season. You would think by the performance of the Texans RB corps that it took a nuclear scientist to learn pass protection and that learning how to hold onto the ball was like a day in andvanced physics class. Other teams seem to have rookies that can step in and play right away. L.McCoy, 2 yrs ago C.Johnson,Stewart,Hillis and S.Young there are more that I cant remember.

3. What is the constant in the failure of the Texans RB corps through 2 regimes? Chick Harris, he should've been fired. INMO

Dont give me a he helped develop Slaton, Gibbs drafted and worked with the OL and Slaton as the running game coordinator.

Now maybe you understand why fans are pissed that a slug like C.Brown was even on the team much less saw the field. Not that I'm speaking for GP. He does a much better job expressing the crappy situation that the Texans RB corps. Than I could ever dream of expressing.

ESPN Insider says Lendale White to Houston is a possibility.. I didn't read the whole thing because I refuse to pay for a membership.

thoughts ?

Would a signing like this take RB off the draft list ?

ESPN Insider says Lendale White to Houston is a possibility.. I didn't read the whole thing because I refuse to pay for a membership.

thoughts ?

It was the blogger's pure speculation. Texans need a pure lead back. Getting a pure power guy means Plan B.

thoughts ?

I cannot see the Texans giving up a 1st or 2nd for White. Unless they work out a trade for a conditional 3 or 4

More from the General... :wild:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6863543.html

Kubiak wants team to be better in ground game

“We're going to find a way to get better,” Kubiak said. “It wasn't good enough last season.”

How do you get better at running the ball? get yourself a couple of these
Mike Iupati 6-5, 330 5.20 Idaho (OT)

Mike Johnson 6-5, 305 5.40 Alabama
Jon Asamoah 6-4, 315 5.10 Illinois (X)

John Jerry 6-5, 350 5.45 Mississippi (OT)

Mitch Pretus 6-3, 315 5.10 Arkansas

Brandon Carter 6-6, 355 5.55 Texas Tech (O)
Zane Beadles 6-4, 315 5.25 Utah (OT)

Marshall Newhouse 6-3, 320 5.05 Texas Christian (OT)
Sergio Render 6-3, 325 5.20 Virginia Tech

Shaun Lauvao 6-3, 305 5.30 Arizona State

and possible add one of these
*Maurkice Pouncey 6-5, 320 5.20 Florida
Matt Tennant 6-3, 295 5.10 Boston College
J.D. Walton 6-3, 305 5.20 Baylor
Ted Larsen 6-2, 300 5.25 North Carolina State
Eric Olsen 6-3, 305 5.25 Notre Dame (OG)
John Estes 6-2, 295 5.15 Hawaii
Kenny Alfred 6-2, 300 5.25 Washington
Chris Hall 6-3, 310 5.10 Texas
Eric Cook 6-5, 315 5.25 New Mexico
Thomas Austin 6-3, 315 5.15 Clemson (OG)

You need a OL. Pitts and Brisiel are both hurt and both guys have injuries that can really effect a players ability, especially Brisiel's injury.

because every team covets picks, right? If you called Oakland right now and offered this years 2nd for Bush considering he was a 4th round pick, bet ol Uncle Al's ears might perk up a bit, maybe even Baltimore's might as well on Mcclain, who was also a 4th round pick. What ever it took, make it appealing to them. Either one of those backs are better than anything you are going to get as a rookie, and are exactly what you are looking for.

Bush won't start over Fargas or McFadden, especially McFadden, he makes too much.

Both teams have an abundance of backs as it stand and both are being used as FBs, so are they really being used effectively in either teams offense?

It is all about how you sell it to either team....

If I offered you a 2nd round pick on a back that you hardly use and took in the 4th, you wouldn't take that offer?

Add a little of inside knowledge of the Oakland RB to our team now, Greg Knapp was the Raiders OC in 2007-08, plus played them twice last year. He might have a little knowledge of the FO thinking on each guy.

I would have locked up Coffee in the 2nd. When round 2 was over, and Coffee had not been taken, I knew for certain that he would not be there when it was our turn--Kubiak is full of crap if he's trying to tell the media and the fans that he really thought he'd be there for us in the 3rd. Round 2 was the round to take him in. He wasn't worth a 1st, but a 2nd would not have been shameful.

Back on track now: Even though I drafted Slaton in 2008 and he worked out decently for me, I would have used a 2nd round pick on Coffee.

And then guess what? I'd be using him once Slaton's hands became Jell-O in 2009. So my way would have worked.

I'm just saying that it's not like we need to sit here and act as if there was no way we could have foreseen Slaton's problems and that we would have needed another solid RB in there. I wouldn't have rested at RB in the 2009 draft. I would have gone that route again, in round 2, with Coffee. With the passing game we have, he would have done well IMO.

Kubiak gets a fail for the following:

1. Not grabbing Coffee, then faking shock that he wasn't there in the 3rd. That they would have him rated as "available" for our pick in the 3rd round is laughable to me. Seriously? I mean, he's obviously not the 2nd Coming or anything...but then again, look at our RB crop for the past 8 years. 2nd round would have been acceptable, considering our history at the position.

2. Believing in Chris Brown to the extent he did. I just have nothing else to say here. There's no excuse for it. Probably one of the worst moves in NFL history: To have him on our roster in 2008 and then again in 2009, and then to force him on us to the extent that Kubiak did in 2009. Stoopid by even the most stringent of Stoopid classification systems.

3. Not using Foster earlier. Kubiak either thrusts RBs into the limelight to fast, over-inflating their heads, or he stashes them away until the last part of the season. The way he's gone about the RB roster has just been bizarre and erratic. With the exception of Slaton's 2008 year, Kubiak has had the worst luck with choosing his RBs and finding any consistent success.

I believe in God. And I ask God to help Gary Kubiak find one or two guys who can platoon the RB position in 2010 and do something. At this point, he's going to need divine intervention.

IMO Coffee is a 3rd rounder, period. He was not worth our 2nd pick. Coffee has not shown , he avg 2.7 yds per carry last season, to be worth where he was drafted. Smith and Kubiak would have lost on him in the 3rd. Caldwell will be an asset longer than Coffee.

I agree with many of your points and argument, but leave the Coffee alone.

IMO Coffee is a 3rd rounder, period. He was not worth our 2nd pick. Coffee has not shown , he avg 2.7 yds per carry last season, to be worth where he was drafted. Smith and Kubiak would have lost on him in the 3rd. Caldwell will be an asset longer than Coffee.

I agree with many of your points and argument, but leave the Coffee alone.

Actually, what Coffeee does well is get what's blocked which is a characteristic of a zone back. Not saying he is the "answer" but he would be better in zone system than whatever they do out in SF.

Reactions: GP
Actually, what Coffeee does well is get what's blocked which is a characteristic of a zone back. Not saying he is the "answer" but he would be better in zone system than whatever they do out in SF.

Thank you for taking the time to post what I would have posted, but was just too friggin' tired to post myself.

Since it would have come from me, it would have been marginalized.

Sometimes a RB is on a team that he's not a fit with. The league's history is full of instances where a RB sucks it up in one place and then goes somewhere else and becomes something much better than the previous year. The list is long.

I think he could fit the bill here. I thought, back in the draft, that this team and what it does (ZBS and a great passing attack) would be a good fit for him. Still do today.

He has strength, IMO, and I think he's a bad fit on that 49er team.

From a production standpoint, well that is where Chris Brown failed, not Kubiak.
It's tiresome having to read these Kubiak apologies, again and again. Kubiak can do no wrong. Even though he has been running this team for 4 years, it's not his fault that the team's best option at running back is a washed up stiff like Chris Brown.

Can't someone admit that Kubiak's failure to fortify the running back position was a mistake? Not suggesting that it (alone) should have cost his job...just a mistake. Can't Coach Teflon make mistakes?

It's tiresome having to read these Kubiak apologies, again and again. Kubiak can do no wrong. Even though he has been running this team for 4 years, it's not his fault that the team's best option at running back is a washed up stiff like Chris Brown.

Can't someone admit that Kubiak's failure to fortify the running back position was a mistake? Not suggesting that it (alone) should have cost his job...just a mistake. Can't Coach Teflon make mistakes?

it would be a wasted draft pick to pick someone up in the first or 2nd round and tell him to go run behind our line....(center, and guards) name a good rb in the league and they have a good interior. NOW THAT KUBS FAULT! NOT GETTING SOME BETTER GUYS IN THE MIDDLE! but he didnt prolly think they pitts and brisel would go down either

it would be a wasted draft pick to pick someone up in the first or 2nd round and tell him to go run behind our line....(center, and guards) name a good rb in the league and they have a good interior. NOW THAT KUBS FAULT! NOT GETTING SOME BETTER GUYS IN THE MIDDLE! but he didnt prolly think they pitts and brisel would go down either

So....how did Arian Foster run so well there at the end of the season?

I mean, he's being propped up as the probable starter or at least #2 behind Slaton. People are pointing at Foster as being proof that Kubiak DID address the RB need, just not when we wanted him to (going the UDFA route).

I hated the Barwin pick. It's Jason Babin all over again. You can't dress it up. It's a pick you make if your team is stacked and you want to go fishing. We needed a running back. There was one or two still available. Take your pick.

Or, just don't pick any at all and go sifting through the undrafted guys like Kubiak did.

As much as I want to believe that we're going to pull through this and grab a quality RB...or that Arian Foster is going to be THAT guy for us, I can't find it within me to be realistically hopeful.

Patterns.

This team is QB-centric just like the Elway-led Broncos were.

Terrell Davis has done more to set back the Broncos and the Texans than Capers and Casserly ever have. The Broncos hit a home-run on that pick, and so the thinking is that you can go fishing and find a 9-lb. bass under any old tree stump you throw your lure under.

Patterns.

So....how did Arian Foster run so well there at the end of the season?

I mean, he's being propped up as the probable starter or at least #2 behind Slaton. People are pointing at Foster as being proof that Kubiak DID address the RB need, just not when we wanted him to (going the UDFA route).

I hated the Barwin pick. It's Jason Babin all over again. You can't dress it up. It's a pick you make if your team is stacked and you want to go fishing. We needed a running back. There was one or two still available. Take your pick.

Or, just don't pick any at all and go sifting through the undrafted guys like Kubiak did.

As much as I want to believe that we're going to pull through this and grab a quality RB...or that Arian Foster is going to be THAT guy for us, I can't find it within me to be realistically hopeful.

Patterns.

our interior overachieved, plus against the pats, vince wilfork didnt play. our other good game running, was against the bills and they have a horrible d line, that was ryan moats day. other than that we couldnt do shhht allll year, it aint that foster was just a hero, it was he had some help, if he woulda started all the games he woulda got blown up in the backfield like every other rb of ours did. those 2 games he started he HAD lanes to run through, we can keep our rb's and upgrade our interior and problem solved

our interior overachieved, plus against the pats, vince wilfork didnt play. our other good game running, was against the bills and they have a horrible d line, that was ryan moats day. other than that we couldnt do shhht allll year, it aint that foster was just a hero, it was he had some help, if he woulda started all the games he woulda got blown up in the backfield like every other rb of ours did. those 2 games he started he HAD lanes to run through, we can keep our rb's and upgrade our interior and problem solved

My take:

The pressure was off the Texans. They got on a little mini-roll. OL regained some continuity. Foster was finally healthy & ready to go. Teams they finished were either out of it or resting their prime run stoppers.

Guess the same could be said about those who blame Kubiak for every wrong doing the team has and not holding players accountable for not executing and performing within the job they are being paid millions to do...

Condemning is a 2 way street...

As for the RB situation, not Kubiak's style to take RBs with high draft choices. Any and everybody who knows this system and the tree of coaching Kubiak comes from, knows they will not take 1st or 2nd round RBs.

They had their sights set on Greene but got bushwhacked when the Jets traded up to get him. Nothing you can really do about that. If they take him in the 2nd, when he was a projected 3rd rounder, and he doesn't perform like he did with the Jets and all that first round beef on the O-line the Jets have, then Kubiak would be blasted for reaching in the 2nd for back that underperformed....

Guess once damned, always damned huh?

They had their sights set on Greene but got bushwhacked when the Jets traded up to get him. Nothing you can really do about that. If they take him in the 2nd, when he was a projected 3rd rounder, and he doesn't perform like he did with the Jets and all that first round beef on the O-line the Jets have, then Kubiak would be blasted for reaching in the 2nd for back that underperformed....

Shonn Greene had a second rd. grade but Connor Barwin had a first. simple as that really they followed their own board to the letter.

As for the RB situation, not Kubiak's style to take RBs with high draft choices. Any and everybody who knows this system and the tree of coaching Kubiak comes from, knows they will not take 1st or 2nd round RBs.

Which would be a great categorical statement if true but it isn't. Kubiak tried to trade what became DeMeco and OD for a 1st rounder to take DeAngelo Williams. Luckily they got outbid.

Why can not the running back and Oline be addressed in same draft?

How do you get better at running the ball? get yourself a couple of these

and possible add one of these

You need a OL. Pitts and Brisiel are both hurt and both guys have injuries that can really effect a players ability, especially Brisiel's injury.
Not sure about Brisiel but Kubes said over a week ago that Pitts is ready.

Which would be a great categorical statement if true but it isn't. Kubiak tried to trade what became DeMeco and OD for a 1st rounder to take DeAngelo Williams. Luckily they got outbid.

Once again your infinite wisdom knows no bounds.....

NEVER heard that one, not saying it isn't true, just never heard them talk about trying to get Williams.

Here is a name that might be sour but could be sweet. Lawrence Maroney? 4th year starter, 25 years old. Make a trade with the Pats and take Maroney off of their hands. I know he had issues last season, mainly due to "technique" change in his running style according to him, but he, Slaton and Foster would be a nice little combination, no?

Seems the Pats have pretty much given up on him by bringing in Fred Taylor and rumor is LT could end up out there as well. I say take a gander and see what the Pats are wanting...

Though it goes against Texans/Denver RB philosophy, I'll take the under. If the Texans don't take an RB by round two, there's going to be a lot of uneasiness regarding next season.
The Texans will be taking a running back really early and they will want an explosive back in the zone blocking system. I think that Jahvid Best is the right type of back to play in that system and he has been in that system at Cal under coach Jeff Tedford. This guy reminds me of Chris Johnson for Tennessee once he make one cut he is gone and with Bests speed he could be dominating in our system. I also like C.J.Spiller and Jonathon Dwyer and if we don't get one of the 3 mentioned I think we will be talking about drafting another running back in 2011.

Maybe now you do.

Interesting. I still have a problem with that pick. I think there were so many better options, better positions, better players, that the Barwin pick was one of the worst in our franchise's history. Jury's still out and all that, but I hated it. I think a lot more people have issues with that pick than you apparently think. Barwin kinda sucked it up his rookie year. Hopefully he will get better.

Interesting. I still have a problem with that pick. I think there were so many better options, better positions, better players, that the Barwin pick was one of the worst in our franchise's history. Jury's still out and all that, but I hated it. I think a lot more people have issues with that pick than you apparently think. Barwin kinda sucked it up his rookie year. Hopefully he will get better.

According to NFL.com, the guy had the most sacks of any DE from last year's draft and the 3rd most sacks of ANYONE from last year's draft.

He played well his rookie season. I loved the pick at the time it was made because I didn't expect him to fall to us. I expected Barwin to go in late first, early second. I think a lot of people had a first round grade on him.

Whether that pick bothers me or not will depend on how he does next year. But that will be hindsight. At the time, I thought it was a really good (if unexpected) pick.

RB is by far the biggest need this team has. We need an impact player at that positions and nothing we are going to get in FA or late in the draft is going to assure us of that.

There are no OL that will be available at our second round pick that could come in and start. Whatever RB we draft in the first or second will be starting and counted on as a major contributor.

Breisal, Myers (i know), Studdard, Caldwell, a decent FA pickup and a late draft choice for depth should be adequate for now.

Im not saying this is how I would do it, but this is how I believe they will do it.

If we dont go RB in the first I wouldnt be surprised to see us trade up in the second to secure a targeted one. I wouldnt be shocked if we draft 2 RB's. I actually expect it.

According to NFL.com, the guy had the most sacks of any DE from last year's draft and the 3rd most sacks of ANYONE from last year's draft.

He played well his rookie season. I loved the pick at the time it was made because I didn't expect him to fall to us. I expected Barwin to go in late first, early second. I think a lot of people had a first round grade on him.

Whether that pick bothers me or not will depend on how he does next year. But that will be hindsight. At the time, I thought it was a really good (if unexpected) pick.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant. I agree with Conner. there's only two ways you draft a Jared Allen type player. You spend two first round picks and move up to go get him. Or you draft a protege in the second and develope him.

So...... some of you Einsteins with inside connections....Who are the Texan's going to interview this week ? I.e. What sixty players are scheduled to interview with the Texans during the combine ?

Finding a Consistent running game is by far the biggest need this team has. We need an impact player at that positions and nothing we are going to get in FA or late in the draft is going to assure us of that.

There fixed it for ya. and that fellows name is Iupati. If there are holes doesn't matter where the Rb was drafted . Or how high he was ranked when he came out.

Slow 40 has dogged Toby Gerhart , but he has proven to be a big (6'1"/231), tough, CONSISTENT, workhorse. Interesting pick, possibly, for later rounds.

Gerhart may not be the fastest back. He runs in the mid 4.5's and 4.6's. He may not be the most athletic, either. While he does possess sound agility and elusiveness, it can't be compared to that of, say, Darren McFadden or Felix Jones.

But his durability, his power, and his lack of fear; those are components to his game that cannot be replaced. Neither can his break-away speed, his vision, and his relentless ability to and knack for attacking defenders, usually many at a time.

FULL STORY

Great moves for a ZBS RB
VIDEO

It still aggravates me that the Texans missed out on Shonn Greene last year. I thought he'd fall to us in round #3, and he almost did, but ended up getting snatched up by the Jets, prompting the Texans to take Caldwell and pass on the RB position for the remainder of the Draft.

The Texans could likely upgrade their offense by taking a back in the first round, as there will be some very good ones available. However, history has shown that there are also good backs available in the later rounds for teams that really do their homework.

I'd personally rather see the Texans go after either a DB or NT in the first round, and then pursue a running back later in the draft. Brian Price or Earl Thomas make more sense to me than a running back at the #20 spot.

5'5" 161# sprinter/RB.........

INDIANAPOLIS -- LSU speedster Trindon Holliday has a number in mind when he runs his 40-yard dash this week at the NFL scouting combine.

"My goal is to run a 4.23," the running back/return man rold reporters.

When asked if that has anything to do with the fact that Tennessee Titans tailback Chris Johnson posted a scorching mark of 4.24 in 2008, Holliday admitted, "It's kind of sort of like that."

"It's not really a competition," said Holliday, a favorite to post the fastest time of any prospect here in Indianapolis. "I just want to come out and run as fast as I can. But I am going to try to.''

Holliday said he was timed at 4.21 seconds in the 40-yard dash a few weeks ago.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/02/lsu_running_back_trindon_holli.html

Slow 40 has dogged Toby Gerhart , but he has proven to be a big (6'1"/231), tough, CONSISTENT, workhorse. Interesting pick, possibly, for later rounds.

FULL STORY

Great moves for a ZBS RB
VIDEO

He may not be the fastest, but looking at the video, he does have excellent vision and looks like a good burst of speed through the line of scrimmage. Holds the ball nice and tight and keeps his legs moving forward when hit.

Looks like he would be a good fit with the Texans offense.

Back