Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[CHRONIC] Bush wants fire in Texans’ defense

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
Didn't see this posted. If it is, please delete.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6314811.html

Bush is doing what he can to create the havoc-wreaking defense the Texans have failed to produce in recent seasons.

“That’s the plan,” Bush said. “We hope our guys can get off the mark and get going with Amobi (Okoye) and those guys inside.

“And, of course, with Mario (Williams) leading the charge. We want our guys to all just play faster, play with more passion and be more aggressive — get after the quarterback.

“That’s the name of the game, and we have some guys right now with Antonio (Smith), Mario and Amobi — and even some of our other kids like DeMeco (Ryans) — who can get after the passer. We’re going to get after the quarterback even more than we did before.”

And Okoye, a third-year tackle, will try to rebound from a sophomore season in which he struggled with an ankle injury and finished with just one sack.

“(The offseason) is huge for the kid,” Bush said of Okoye. “First of all, we still believe in the kid. We still think he is tremendously talented. And we are just waiting for him to kind of flourish.

“It’s huge for him. It’s an offseason where he gets a fresh start, of course. We’re going into a brand-new season. He gets a chance to get over his sophomore slump and kind of get going again.

“He’s excited about it. I know he’s already been in working and whatnot. It’s huge for him and critical for us because we depend on him to do some things for us.”

Okoye is slated to start in the middle alongside Travis Johnson.

And Bush, who helped former defensive line coach Jethro Franklin, is aware that the play of Okoye, Johnson, Williams and Smith could set the tone for the defense.

He is using the word Kids, and tying it to Ryans. The players will crucify him if he does not have his own style, let alone language.

I hope this works.

TJ, DeJuan, and now Antonio Smith will all be giving Okoye competition for
playing time on the inside at DT in passing situations. And some are even suggesting we might draft another 1-gapper like Jerry to add to that mix.
Lets be real honest with ourselves here, truth is Kubiak and Co. want to win now, they need to win now and isn't it really a possibility that they have already thrown in the towel on the "Amobi Okoye project" ?

TJ, DeJuan, and now Antonio Smith will all be giving Okoye competition for
playing time on the inside at DT in passing situations. And some are even suggesting we might draft another 1-gapper like Jerry to add to that mix.
Lets be real honest with ourselves here, truth is Kubiak and Co. want to win now, they need to win now and isn't it really a possibility that they have already thrown in the towel on the "Amobi Okoye project" ?

We haven't drafted DL in the first round of this year's draft. Statistically speaking, there's a small chance it would be DL (interior DL).

If we've stuck with TJ this long, and all of a sudden have thrown in the towel on Amobi...I would say fire every coach on the team, except Marciano. Do people realize that Amobi is as old as most guys who are just now entering the draft?

Maybe the guy should have stayed in college a bit more. But what if the guy just goes bananas this year? Smithiak will look like geniuses for drafting him two years ago, to grab the guy in the middle of the round when this year he might have gone Top 10 or even Top 5.

There's a chance he is a bust. But I stick by the decision as it was made, and the reasons why it was made: He was young and would therefore give you more mileage, he's athletic and smart, he lives a clean life, and the thought process was that he would disrupt and draw attention away from Mario and Weaver--Well, Weaver couldn't do jack squat, and now we have (potentially) Antonio Smith who might get that job done at DE alongside Mario. Throw in the new d-coord and a supposed new style of attack, and you can't tie yourself to the past on Amobi.

If we do become an attacking style of defense, and Amobi can't seem to shake free of his blocker, and he just looks lost out there, then I'll be ready to throw in the towel (from a fan's perspective).

I tend to be very realistic, and maybe lean toward pessimism. Don't let the pre-draft jitters blur your vision. We all need to sit back and watch. It's all we CAN do.

The good thing about al this is that Smithiak is basically acknowledging that there is "NO TOMORROW" if the Texans don't make a big jump this year.......at least making it solidly into the playoffs........slithering in will not save jobs.

With this firmly in mind, there will be no laxidasical approach to defense especially, but also offense. This will, for once, take a gambler's mindset of go for broke..............ignore the $1000 on the table..........and go for the million. If not, Smithiak can expect to be booted out with the $1000 in hand.:cowboy1:

The good thing about al this is that Smithiak is basically acknowledging that there is "NO TOMORROW" if the Texans don't make a big jump this year.......at least making it solidly into the playoffs........slithering in will not save jobs.

With this firmly in mind, there will be no laxidasical approach to defense especially, but also offense. This will, for once, take a gambler's mindset of go for broke..............ignore the $1000 on the table..........and go for the million. If not, Smithiak can expect to be booted out with the $1000 in hand.:cowboy1:

I'm not so sure about that.

If we went 4-12 and just imploded in a lot of areas of the game, I can see how Kubiak would fall on his sword. I don't think Smith would be gone. He has made some smart deals, and he can't nudge his way onto the field and impact the on-field action during practices and games.

Kubiak, on the other hand, will have had his shot. But I still think that if he keeps this team respectable, if guys aren't quitting on him, then McNair will bring him back.

McNair, IMO, longs for stability even at the expense of success. He didn't fire Capers during the year. We didn't fire Richard Smith during the year, which was absolutely warranted! This owner seems to be the kind of owner who wants to go with a quality person as long as he can.

I cannot see us finishing lower than 8-8. We were soooo lucky to not have injuries last season. What happens if that injury bug returns this season, and we finish 8-8 or even 7-9? Kubiak will stay. Outside of freakish injuries to quality players, we're going to do well. We might even be able to contend for the AFC South.

I wanted more wins last year. 9-7 was easily possible, except for that darn Oakland game that just angers me to this very day. I think our team played scared the first 4 games of the year. I think Matt played scared. And sadly enough, the implosion of Sage Rosenfels (IMHO) triggered the maturation of Matt Schaub into the full-fledged leader of this team.

I expect us to come out of the starting gate very quickly, with the danger of having a mid-season slump due to getting over-confident.

Kubiak somehow rescued this team last season, when every indication pointed toward the team fracturing into 53 pieces. I went from being one of the biggest critics of Kubiak, to being someone who appreciated what he's done. That 2-14 team was in as big of a mess as the Lions are in right now. For him to have done what he's done, it's pretty admirable.

It'll take a very bad year for Kubiak to go. Just my .02

Amobi was a senior at Louisville. He couldn't stay longer.

At least it sounds like Bush is doing everything to get these guys fired up and I think himself too. I think realistically he knows Kubiak is essentially placing his job on the line with hiring him. I think our DTs have been horribly misused for the the reasons you draft guys like Amobi and TJ. The weren't the strongest guys coming out of college but they have had good initial burst and can get to the QB. We should've been using a philosophy very similar to the Giants DL disrupt gaps and head to the QB not read,react and act as a stand up DT when you aren't.

One thing that also shows is the Defensive staff clearly understands where this DL(who has the most talent on it) goes the rest of the squad is going to go. I hope this works as well.

Amobi was a senior at Louisville. He couldn't stay longer.

At least it sounds like Bush is doing everything to get these guys fired up and I think himself too. I think realistically he knows Kubiak is essentially placing his job on the line with hiring him. I think our DTs have been horribly misused for the the reasons you draft guys like Amobi and TJ. The weren't the strongest guys coming out of college but they have had good initial burst and can get to the QB. We should've been using a philosophy very similar to the Giants DL disrupt gaps and head to the QB not read,react and act as a stand up DT when you aren't.

One thing that also shows is the Defensive staff clearly understands where this DL(who has the most talent on it) goes the rest of the squad is going to go. I hope this works as well.

If he had red-shirted, he could have had another year as a post-graduate student-athlete. Some guys do that.

sounds like he's planning to let Okoye & Johnson do what they did best coming out of college...Use that speed that made them top picks in the 1st place.

Since this is a diffent style of D, bush is bringing.. and the disappoint of Okoye's sophmore season, I think he's gonna have a good year, and I like that bush want to attack.. attack... attack, that's the kind of attitude our Defense needs

I'm not so sure about that.

If we went 4-12 and just imploded in a lot of areas of the game, I can see how Kubiak would fall on his sword. I don't think Smith would be gone. He has made some smart deals, and he can't nudge his way onto the field and impact the on-field action during practices and games.

Kubiak, on the other hand, will have had his shot. But I still think that if he keeps this team respectable, if guys aren't quitting on him, then McNair will bring him back.

McNair, IMO, longs for stability even at the expense of success. He didn't fire Capers during the year. We didn't fire Richard Smith during the year, which was absolutely warranted! This owner seems to be the kind of owner who wants to go with a quality person as long as he can.

I cannot see us finishing lower than 8-8. We were soooo lucky to not have injuries last season. What happens if that injury bug returns this season, and we finish 8-8 or even 7-9? Kubiak will stay. Outside of freakish injuries to quality players, we're going to do well. We might even be able to contend for the AFC South.

I wanted more wins last year. 9-7 was easily possible, except for that darn Oakland game that just angers me to this very day. I think our team played scared the first 4 games of the year. I think Matt played scared. And sadly enough, the implosion of Sage Rosenfels (IMHO) triggered the maturation of Matt Schaub into the full-fledged leader of this team.

I expect us to come out of the starting gate very quickly, with the danger of having a mid-season slump due to getting over-confident.

Kubiak somehow rescued this team last season, when every indication pointed toward the team fracturing into 53 pieces. I went from being one of the biggest critics of Kubiak, to being someone who appreciated what he's done. That 2-14 team was in as big of a mess as the Lions are in right now. For him to have done what he's done, it's pretty admirable.

It'll take a very bad year for Kubiak to go. Just my .02

excellent post.

I agree completely on your assessment of the club and the events that transpired last year. I would be suprised if McNair fired Kubiak after next year no matter what happened. If he were to post two regressive seasons in a row then maybe, but this team has improved exponentially every year. The win loss column hasn't changed in the past two but alot more has.

You are absolutely correct about Kubiak saving the team from collapse last year. I think the thing that you can't deny when you talk about the Texans as they are currently is it is an extremely tight knit group and they are in it together. How many devastating losses can you take before you just through your hands up? The Texans continued to dust themselves off and by the end of the year seemed to be finding themselves the one thing they had lacked all year. CONSISTENCY. and then there was Oakland. But I get the feeling that they have learned how to win. I think Kubiak has taught them that. I think they have to learn how to win consistenly and they are on the verge of that.

I don't know how you can devalue Kubiak's worth to this team at this stage. He has completely changed the attitude of the team and put them in a position to succeed. I think it would take alot for McNair to send him packing.

again, great post.

these reports on Bush don't impress me. I'm 100% wait and see. When the season begins and we can actually see what type of play they are implimenting on defense then I will try to form an opinion. Until then I'll just be quietly annoyed by the "kids" comments and quietly cautious of the "aggressive" philosophy talk.

Go Texans.

excellent post.

I agree completely on your assessment of the club and the events that transpired last year. I would be suprised if McNair fired Kubiak after next year no matter what happened. If he were to post two regressive seasons in a row then maybe, but this team has improved exponentially every year. The win loss column hasn't changed in the past two but alot more has.

You are absolutely correct about Kubiak saving the team from collapse last year. I think the thing that you can't deny when you talk about the Texans as they are currently is it is an extremely tight knit group and they are in it together. How many devastating losses can you take before you just through your hands up? The Texans continued to dust themselves off and by the end of the year seemed to be finding themselves the one thing they had lacked all year. CONSISTENCY. and then there was Oakland. But I get the feeling that they have learned how to win. I think Kubiak has taught them that. I think they have to learn how to win consistenly and they are on the verge of that.

I don't know how you can devalue Kubiak's worth to this team at this stage. He has completely changed the attitude of the team and put them in a position to succeed. I think it would take alot for McNair to send him packing.

again, great post.

Thanks.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about Kubiak is his lack of in-game adjustments, as well as a spotty record on clock management and other little things that mean a lot over the course of a game.

We had reports, toward the last few games, that Kubiak had been micro-managing the playcalling. That he had admitted he needed to be a head coach and let the kid call the shots.

Hopefully, we'll see a more focused head coach. He needs to be surveying the land in front of him, looking at the big picture, and scrutinizing his assistants and a few players who might need that flat-top Aggie butt chewing that he can dish out sometimes.

I want to see this guy make the same kind of jump that he expects his players to make.

I got a good feeling about 2009. What's going to s-u-c-k is if 2010 is locked out. Here we are, finally making it, and we might get shut out for awhile in 2010...maybe the whole year. That's my biggest fear. We'll be right on the doorstep and this NFLPA crap will ruin it all.

What did Einstein say was the definition of insanity?

I see you working .

412EKX5TEGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

these reports on Bush don't impress me. I'm 100% wait and see. When the season begins and we can actually see what type of play they are implimenting on defense then I will try to form an opinion. Until then I'll just be quietly annoyed by the "kids" comments and quietly cautious of the "aggressive" philosophy talk.

Go Texans.

Well you won't have to wait to long there. the first time they send six...if no one gets there....we're in trouble.

What did Einstein say was the definition of insanity?

When you keep doing a thing over and over again....and acheiving the same resluts....that's insanity. Well slippin' the Dt's through the gaps will work...if they aren't calling a trap....in which case you better have OLBs who can run. And run fast.

Amobi is what 21? 22? lets just pretend he is a rookie.....

I agree! this kid has a lot to learn still, and he still has the potential to be one of the bet DT in the league.. plus i'm pretty sure that injury had a lot to do with his production, I'll make my judgment on him after next season.. he should make a huge leap forward playing more to his strenth

I agree! this kid has a lot to learn still, and he still has the potential to be one of the bet DT in the league.. plus i'm pretty sure that injury had a lot to do with his production, I'll make my judgment on him after next season.. he should make a huge leap forward playing more to his strength

Well I'm all for using cattle prods....palov's dog wasn't pretty but the dog figured it out after a while. I don't know which way the d-line would be leaping...but they'd be leaping.

I agree! this kid has a lot to learn still, and he still has the potential to be one of the bet DT in the league.. plus i'm pretty sure that injury had a lot to do with his production, I'll make my judgment on him after next season.. he should make a huge leap forward playing more to his strenth

The good news is that we've already seen and heard about Okoye putting in the extra work to get better after being influenced in the Pro Bowl trip to Hawaii with Mario. At least we know he's doing something about it. Remember when we had endless threads about TJ not doing a darn thing?

Hopefully we get more athletic in the back 7 through the draft. We look to be copying Indy's defensive mold albeit not quite directly in the fact that we're looking for the defense to make big plays to supplement the high powered offense rather than looking for a defense to carry the team like the Ravens for example.

The added speed and overall athleticism I presume we're going to add in the draft will help a lot in that regard. Especially the gameplans Bush can put forth each week. A more athletic back 7 allows a lot more wiggle room schemewise.

I agree with your frustraion and your points. Having said that I do not want nor think the team will come out and say "To stop our run problem (defensive and offensive) we will select Ron Brace in first round after trading down. In 2nd we will select Jennings RB. We really like Johnson at FS in 3rd and that LB kid Holtzlaw with the Sage pick right after picking OG Canfield. And by the way our thanks to Steve known as BADBOY on the MB for suggesting these guys."

Nice blog TC, and spot on, exactly what a lot of us are wondering. I wish we had a better idea of what they plan to employ. And I am tired of hearing the same ole coach speak as well. But I will take a wait and see attitude, I won't criticize Bush and Kollar yet, but if we get Richard Smith defense 2.0 there will be a serious letdown. Here's to hoping the coaching changes and FA/Draft have a huge impact.

Just how good could this team be if they could consistently "stop the run on the way to the QB"? That and fixing the turnovers is the difference of pretender and contender.

Nice blog TC, and spot on, exactly what a lot of us are wondering. I wish we had a better idea of what they plan to employ. And I am tired of hearing the same ole coach speak as well. But I will take a wait and see attitude, I won't criticize Bush and Kollar yet, but if we get Richard Smith defense 2.0 there will be a serious letdown. Here's to hoping the coaching changes and FA/Draft have a huge impact.

Just how good could this team be if they could consistently "stop the run on the way to the QB"? That and fixing the turnovers is the difference of pretender and contender.

.........and we can then expect Head Coach 3.0 shortly thereafter.........

To be fair with the coach speak, the coaches only answer the questions that are asked of them. Perhaps if Bush was asked specifically about the run, or his defensive philosophy or number of more specific questions, maybe we would be reading different stories.

Sack totals are what makes players money and fans happy, but I'd be happy if the Texans fixed their run defense and just had a lot of QB hurries (and some sacks thrown in for good measure).

Back