Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cecil shorts and Nate Washington...

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
....are both statistically top 25 pass catchers in the franchises history.

Billy Miller and Joel Dreesen are in the top 10.

Garrett Graham, Vonta Leach...top 15

James Allen--whom I barely remember--was here for the inaugural season only and is just outside the top twenty being two catches behind....................Ryan Griffin...lolwut????

It's time to invest in some offensive weapons.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/houston-texans/alltime-receiving

Reactions: ROO
I'd let both walk. I'm good with DHop, Strong and Mumphrey. See if Jenz is better in his 2nd year.
I'd also take a look at bringing a FA like Sanu. I would say Alshon Jeffery, but he's likely to be franchised and he'll be looking for a big pay day.

I'd let both walk. I'm good with DHop, Strong and Mumphrey. See if Jenz is better in his 2nd year.
I'd also take a look at bringing a FA like Sanu. I would say Alshon Jeffery, but he's likely to be franchised and he'll be looking for a big pay day.
Add Marvin Jones to he list for me

Just FYI

Shorts is on a 2 year contract - $3.4 mil if he stays, $500 k dead money (net $2.9 mil cap savings) if dumped.

Washington is ufa.

To me, we should keep one of those guys, not both, and he should be a #4 guy. Each of them made plays this year, and each of them failed to make plays in key situations this year. I like Shorts the better of the two, and feel like he has more upside on any given play than Washington.

Just FYI

Shorts is on a 2 year contract - $3.4 mil if he stays, $500 k dead money (net $2.9 mil cap savings) if dumped.

Washington is ufa.

With this in mind, I'd let Washington walk and Shorts is on the bubble since we can save $2.9 mil by cutting him, depends on if we need the money elsewhere. It all depends on who we can find to replace these guys. I'd draft Bralon Addison in the 4th round and look seriously at Marvin Jones or Mohamed Sanu in FA if the price is right, but they'll both be looking for big pay days.

It's time for the offense to get some draft love. I'm not even talking Oline...I'm talking skill guys. QB, WR, RB, TE....

Free agency or something...

Two more (3 would be a dream) impact players added on offense this off season would be great. It's time to go young and explosive and not prime/vet and solid.

Last edited:
I'm off of the Lamarif I had Miller Bandwagon.

If it were me I would sign the TE the Colts let walk. Or L.Green if Sandiego lets him walk. The reason for this is rookie TE's rarely make an impact. I would overpay for Green, that guy is going to be a stud. I would also try to sign Marvin Jones and keep Short.

Draft would look like this

1. Hack or whoever BOB likes
2. Pharoh Cooper
3. Fahn Cooper
4. Max Turek- If I had to trade up to get him I would.
5. Keith Marshall.

The reason I rate RB this low is I want one of the top RB's from the 2017 draft. There are 4-5 RB's as good as Elliott or better than Henry. McCaffery/Fournette/Cook/Perine/Chubb etc....

Atleast FA/drafing this way would give a young QB the playmakers/protection he would need to have a better than avg chance for success. Signing these young FA's are going to cost $$$$ though, so it most likely wont happen.

Washington can go but I'd like to keep Shorts. Just guessing from the ease with which he was found when open, it looks like he runs a more correct route.

Free agency is the best bet for getting an upgrade at TE. This year's draft is pretty weak.
I'm good with Fleener. I doubt Indy lets him walk, though.

The most proven TE on the roster that did a good job of replacing OD collected dust on the bench this season. The best overall TE on the roster was hurt for a good portion of the season and looked good when he came back. The worst TE on the roster got most of the playing time and made a joke of the position.

Upgrading via FA or the draft isn't going to help until OB changes how he uses the position.

Texans offensive playbook:

Look at DeAndre Hopkins.
  1. If he's open, throw the ball in his general direction.
  2. If he's covered, tuck & run

I don't see what difference who the TE is in this system.

I don't think you can have a young QB, or a crappy Hoyer, AND have inexperienced "weapons". I'd keep shorts, look at the FA pool, and look at the draft. There needs to be some consistency and stability on offense.

Hoyer is consistently unstable, for those looking to make that joke.

I don't think you can have a young QB, or a crappy Hoyer, AND have inexperienced "weapons". I'd keep shorts, look at the FA pool, and look at the draft. There needs to be some consistency and stability on offense.

Hoyer is consistently unstable, for those looking to make that joke.

I don't think this team has anything to lose by bringing in some young weapons + a young QB.

The Texans have delayed the inevitable. The rebuild should've began a couple years ago when OB first came in.

Yep. Me too.

Saw nothing out of Sharts and Washedupton that said they're worth the money.

Draft a quality TE and hope to move one of the young receivers to the slot.

The most proven TE on the roster that did a good job of replacing OD collected dust on the bench this season. The best overall TE on the roster was hurt for a good portion of the season and looked good when he came back. The worst TE on the roster got most of the playing time and made a joke of the position.

Upgrading via FA or the draft isn't going to help until OB changes how he uses the position.

And they all stunk

Washington still has good speed he was open deep often. If we get a QB who can get him the ball keep him, if not why bother.

Yep. Me too.

Saw nothing out of Sharts and Washedupton that said they're worth the money.

Draft a quality TE and hope to move one of the young receivers to the slot.
I think Jaelen Strong will have a strong second year and emerge himself as a true number two that compliments DeAndre Hopkins. I'd be okay seeing Keith Mumphery playing more of that slot role but word right now is he's put on some pounds (looks closer to 230 than the listed 215 he was playing at last year). At 6 foot, that weight gain looks noticeable. He was at an autograph signing event the other night looking like he was making a switch from wide receiver to safety. I hope he comes into training camp in shape and hungry to compete. No pun intended.

But it's only February. A lot of players tend to relax and rest their bodies right now. Most of them may still be on vacation. The brunt work hasn't started up again.

By the way I noticed the Texans offense ranked 12th in dropped passes in 2015. Roughly middle of the pack. Not as bad as some of you may think. The Super Bowl champion Broncos were 13th and had similar numbers of drops. The Patriots were 6th and playing in the AFC Championship game.

I find it odd the Raiders and Jaguars were 1 and 2, despite having good young quarterbacks and young elite wide receivers. But both of those teams pass a lot always playing from behind in games. I guess the teams that drop a lot of passes on offense tend to be bad teams. The Patriots are a clear exception to the rule.

Rick Smith had a pretty good record drafting TEs before OB, so is the issue due to talent or scheme?? Maybe OBs scheme works with Brady/Gronk/Hernandez but not so much without that talent??

Shorts and Wash, one couldn't catch the ball and the other couldn't stay healthy, both looked like considered pickups in the offseason based on past production and experience, nothing flashy but solid. Given the cap situation this year id tend to keep one around (as someone mentioned up thread) and the optimist in me would go for Shorts. I'd also hope that Strong/Mumph/draft pick can push him right down the rotation though.

We need to improve all receiving positions outside of DHop desperately.

I do wonder how much of an improvement we'd see from a consistently serviceable QB however, and a part of me does think the scheme may not be getting the most out of these guys too.

I mean if DHop was just as good a player but you took away his freakish jump-ball ability, what would our O look like then??

Rick Smith had a pretty good record drafting TEs before OB, so is the issue due to talent or scheme?? Maybe OBs scheme works with Brady/Gronk/Hernandez but not so much without that talent??

Gronk & Hernandez creates mismatches, which got them open. They were also excellent after the catch, able to make defenders miss (in the case of Hernandez) & just overpowering defenders in the case of Gronk.

Gary Kubiak would scheme his TEs open.

So yeah, there's a big difference in what is required from the TE in the two systems. But Griffen looked good at times. He was more Hernandez than Gronk, but our QBs couldn't find him. & like I said, it was at times. He wasn't consistently getting himself open in the short time our QBs had to work.

Give me a wideout who has speed, hands, discipline, and toughness. And let him be a crunching downfield blocker. Then he's worth a 2nd round pick.

Give me a wideout who has speed, hands, discipline, and toughness. And let him be a crunching downfield blocker. Then he's worth a 2nd round pick.

Name the wideout that has all that... and a 2nd round pick at that?

Shorts and Wash, one couldn't catch the ball and the other couldn't stay healthy, both looked like considered pickups in the offseason based on past production and experience, nothing flashy but solid. Given the cap situation this year id tend to keep one around (as someone mentioned up thread) and the optimist in me would go for Shorts. I'd also hope that Strong/Mumph/draft pick can push him right down the rotation though.

We need to improve all receiving positions outside of DHop desperately.

I do wonder how much of an improvement we'd see from a consistently serviceable QB however, and a part of me does think the scheme may not be getting the most out of these guys too.

I mean if DHop was just as good a player but you took away his freakish jump-ball ability, what would our O look like then??

I would cut both of them and Foster if if meant signing Miller or Green in FA. (Allen would be my 2nd choice in FA at TE.) Smith needs to fix the OL (Jones/Brooks walk and that leaves XSF?Newton, Suck and a 50/50 Brown coming off injury.)

I would trade down in the 2nd and hopefully get a 3rd/4th. Then pick Fahn Cooper/Glasgow in the 3rd and Ayers/Marshall in the 4th.

Back