Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Case Keenum….Trade?

Texans signed EJ Perry today and Case wasn’t at practice. This could be nothing other than adding a camp body.

Let me state that I Do Not want to trade Case. But this could be a possibility if there’s a desperate team out there needing a quality backup. Do you think this is a possibility? Which teams would be buying?

If Joe Burrow wasn’t due to be back week 1, I’d think they might be interested just because their backups gave little to be desired versus GB. Dolphins maybe as well. Thoughts?

Anything is possible, the real question is of probability.

Guess that depends on their goal this season. If 8ts to field the best product most likely that is to sit CJ and let him learn behind Case and Mills (given the small sample size so far) this season.

If they still plan to build..... a Case trade could be in the works but.....

Keenum has a $2.8M home here in Houston he bought in 2019. And has a nice two 2 year contract to close out his career as a veteran mentor to two young qbs. So, would he be willing to go to another team as a backup? Or would he retire? If he would start again, I could see that. I heard mention that about 1/3 of the NFL run some version of the Shanahan offense. With his experience, Case could immediately step in and start. So, are there teams in need of a veteran starter? And could the Texans get a three?

I say no trade on the table.

Why would you trade for Keenum? To win a game or two more in a short period of time to make the playoffs. That is the only reason why. Atlanta isn’t going to start Keenum over Ridder. Why win a few more games when you could tank for a good QB? Same for WFT and TB. Those are pretty much the only teams in a QB need state.

A team like Cincinnati would be a prime candidate. But their back up knows more about their offense then Keenum coming in and starting in place of an injured Burrow.

I think this is a camp body signed and Keenum had a day off.

Now they could be trading Stroud. An interception and a sack on 4 throws in his first preseason game as a rookie. What a bum!

Would they consider trading Keenum without knowing that Stroud is up to the task? I think Keenum and Mills both look good and I'm not keen on trading Keenum unless and until Stroud is ready.

Do you think they'll start Stroud at Baltimore? Unless CJ demonstrates DRAMATIC improvement I think it would be a mistake.
I think Stroud will be given the chance to start by his play against the Dolphins and Saints. He'll start and play the first half against Miami, with Mills playing the second half. And likely, the same against New Orleans. He may start the second half before Mills comes in. We know what Keenum can do so will probably see limited action. The fact Stroud is taking all the #1 snaps furthers the Texans' commitment for him being our starter sooner rather than later. The starting job is his to lose, not win.

I think Stroud will be given the chance to start by his play against the Dolphins and Saints. He'll start and play the first half against Miami, with Mills playing the second half. And likely, the same against New Orleans. He may start the second half before Mills comes in. We know what Keenum can do so will probably see limited action. The fact Stroud is taking all the #1 snaps furthers the Texans' commitment for him being our starter sooner rather than later. The starting job is his to lose, not win.

I'm virtually always wrong but I have a hard time envisioning CJ starting over Mills and Keenum. I love CJ but I also want Houston to win and I hope Houston can play the best QB while also bringing CJ along gradually so that he's not a liability to the team.

I think he's going to start.

Because I think there's a mandate from ownership that he starts

Ain't no way Mills starts a game when Strouds healthy.

I just can’t see that.

Demeco doesn’t seem like the kind of coach you’d hire and then tell him who to start at the most important position on the field.

Maybe if this were culley or some other “just happy to be a head coach” type of guy but Demeco could easily call their bluff.

What are they going to do? Fire him if Stroud isn’t the starter in game 1?

If the Texans got into a tit for tat with him because he felt like another qb was the better option and they retaliated because they wanted Stroud to start they’d never get another quality coach here and if you thought the fans acted like the team didn’t exist for the past couple of years, let it come out that Demeco was on the hot seat because ownership forced him to play someone he didn’t think was ready…

That’d essentially be a franchise kill shot. They would be done. Finished. They’d lose any momentum or credibility they are gaining. No one would take them serious.

I'm virtually always wrong but I have a hard time envisioning CJ starting over Mills and Keenum. I love CJ but I also want Houston to win and I hope Houston can play the best QB while also bringing CJ along gradually so that he's not a liability to the team.
You have to understand how the McNair's run their team. Winning games is about third on the list of what's most important to them, maybe fourth.

I just can’t see that.

Demeco doesn’t seem like the kind of coach you’d hire and then tell him who to start at the most important position on the field.

Maybe if this were culley or some other “just happy to be a head coach” type of guy but Demeco could easily call their bluff.

What are they going to do? Fire him if Stroud isn’t the starter in game 1?

If the Texans got into a tit for tat with him because he felt like another qb was the better option and they retaliated because they wanted Stroud to start they’d never get another quality coach here and if you thought the fans acted like the team didn’t exist for the past couple of years, let it come out that Demeco was on the hot seat because ownership forced him to play someone he didn’t think was ready…

That’d essentially be a franchise kill shot. They would be done. Finished. They’d lose any momentum or credibility they are gaining. No one would take them serious.

I agree with you but,

Remember a time when BOB McNair told Kubiak to start Keenum over Schaub and what happened when Kubiak went against McNair's wishes? Nothing has changed down on Kirby.

One question to all. If you expect Mills to start game one, when do you expect the coaching to make the switch and have him running with the ones, and Stroud the twos.

I've just gotten going this morning and haven't caught up with today's practice. Is Mills still with the twos?

I wonder if Mills may want to be traded.. read somewhere that Texans have been contacted by others expressing an interest. Wouldn’t blame him if his goal is to start.. I still think he has a lot of talent… I hope Stroud succeeds but I’m like a minority of those here that would have preferred to build the trenches first, take a flyer on say Hooker and see how things develop.
Looking forward to watching Penix this year..

I keep seeing people wanting to trade Keenum and/or Mills but I'm not sure Demeco who went through what he went through in San Fran is going to love the idea.
Texans will definitely be keeping three qbs. This latest thread/comments is speculation around the Texans signing a fourth qb, Perry, and then the same day, Keenum not being at practice, with no official explanation from the coaches. It was suggested Perry is just a camp arm and that Keenum was a.littled banged up from Thursday's game and was given the day off. Here it is 3pm Monday and still no word here on TT.

Last edited:
Texans will definitely be keeping three qbs. This latest thread/comments is speculation around the Texans signing a fourth qb, Perry, and then the same day, Keenum not being at practice, with no official explanation from the coaches. It was suggested Perry is just a camp arm and that Keenum was a.littled banged up from Thursday's game and was given the day off. Here it is 3pm Monday and still no word here on TT.
Keenum was on the sideline for both Saturday and Sunday practices.

When in doubt I think the most obvious solution is the correct one. Just like how you suggested.

Texans signed EJ Perry today and Case wasn’t at practice. This could be nothing other than adding a camp body.

Let me state that I Do Not want to trade Case. But this could be a possibility if there’s a desperate team out there needing a quality backup. Do you think this is a possibility? Which teams would be buying?

If Joe Burrow wasn’t due to be back week 1, I’d think they might be interested just because their backups gave little to be desired versus GB. Dolphins maybe as well. Thoughts?

I don't think he is going anywhere. But, if they feel CJ and Mills are enough and then add Perry, ho should be used in some way and retained, he can play...just maybe not QB unless it's emergency time. Then I guess they might think about it

If knew what was up with Keenum and told you (Which I dont know) some here wouldn't believe me unless they heard it from Keenum himself. So sharing info isn't worth the trouble.

Who starts is purely a coaching decision. Caserio will have input on the final 53
Yep. Ryans is in charge here, not Hannah as we are reminded 24-7 in what is getting clinical. Ryans, not CJ was the prize catch in 2023. He could have gone anywhere and he damn sure wouldn’t go where he was told how to pick and manage his QB. There is nothing about him that would suggest otherwise. He is going to play the QB that will best help him win. Winning is the big marketing prize. Im going to guess that Mills can’t just be better than CJ to start, but has to be a whole lot better given his experience. If they are close it will be interesting to see Ryans approach to the big picture. Rather than nitpicking every throw or sack I think it is refreshing for the first time to be having this QB “problem“ in Houston. We all win with this one knowing our HC is a winner.

Mills will be traded by week 8 if Cj starts off the season decent/good. It was the plan going in to the season. The main goal right now is to build around cj on his fresh rookie contract. While I believe Mills can become a good qb, the Texans would rather ride their new car sitting in the driveway. Young Mills audition to be the qb was last season and the Texans picking cj at #2 tells me he didn’t make the cut. Teams value their picks, it’s little room for error in the nfl

Wow. All of this because E.J Perry was picked up? Some really bad takes in here. It's like I just turned on Colin Cowherd by mistake.
One question to all. If you expect Mills to start game one, when do you expect the coaching to make the switch and have him running with the ones, and Stroud the twos.

I've just gotten going this morning and haven't caught up with today's practice. Is Mills still with the twos?

Mills is still running with the twos. Our coaching staff sucks if they keep letting CJ run with the ones, if they are ultimately going to start Mills game 1. No competent coaching staff would do this. At a minimum they would be splitting reps (which I still think is insane and coaching malpractice).

The Texans would be crazy to trade Case or Mills. They need to have some backup options if one or both of their QBs get hurt. I think that Case is a little banged up and they don't want him to play all those snaps in meaningless preseason games. As Coach Ryans said, EJ Perry is "a camp arm."

Back