Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Carr=McNair

TheOgre said:
I think the two most important QB stats are Yards per Attempt and INT %.

The two most important QB stats are WINS and LOSSES... I know that sounds simplistic but each QB is asked to do different things in order to help his team win. I thought that Jake Delhomme was one of the 5 best QBs last year. Also, I think Roger Staubach was a better QB than Danny White, though statistics don't bare that out. A QB is successful if he is the leader of the offense and can effectively execute the gameplan- plus make the occasional big play that is often the difference in close games.

I think that's understood. A few of us were just kicking around the QB rating system, fwiw, not that it's a bottom line indicator of anything in the big picture.

Look at all of Fran Tarkenton and Warren Moon's stats (great careers and a million yards passing but no rings between them) and compare that with a guy like Tom Brady. After watching football for many years, I'll take a guy like that, i.e., capable leader, capable QB, working in a system that fits their strengths and limitations, over a stats monster any day.

But, certain stats are indicators of success. I wonder if there's been a QB in recent history who's taken their team to a conference championship while throwing more int's than td's or by completing less than x % of their pass attemts...

Back