Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So what do you think happens if Cal brings in Sean Payton for a HC interview and Sean says the following:

I respect that you're the owner. However, you need to know that if you want me to be your HC, I will hire the GM and the entire coaching staff.

This Kirby Boardroom is closed for all practical purposes. There will be no more weekly meetings here. At best I will agree to update ownership on a monthly basis or after every 4 games we play.

There will be no owner meddling in football operations as long as I am the HC. Any interference or meddling from ownership in football operations is the reason and cause for me to leave immediately with full prepayment of my contract.

Ownership from a management perspective will be responsible for marketing, league affairs, and anything else not involving football operations.

Just curious..... what do you think would be Janice and Cal's response? IMO I can't see Sean Payton agreeing to become the Texans HC without an ironclad contract similar to the above.
A good owner would:

brinks-truck-cash.gif

Of course, Cal being Cal, he'll find some old retread that has good platitudes, and then have his marketing department spin it as a new era in Houston football. Maybe Jeff Fisher is available for him.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Texian

Hall of Fame
He's missed. Whatever you want to say about Bob and his family, he brought NFL football back to Houston.
I remember when I first heard the announcement of the new NFL franchise and it was Houston. I was in total shock because I just knew it was going to LA.

I hope you're right. I don't have even the slightest clue what the McNair family is about behind the scenes, so it would be a story that would take most of us by surprise.
I was living in Atlanta at the time when Arthur Blank bought the Falcons from the Rankin Smith Family. It came out of the blue, no one had clue. 2nd biggest sports story in Atlanta, after the Olympics.

I think you're old enough to remember that Jimmy Johnson built a college football powerhouse at Miami. Not North Dakota St. The NFL isn't Kansas, Toto.
That's exactly why Johnson said he took the Miami job because he didn't feel he could win a National Championship at Oklahoma St.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Janice was behind the Hopkins trade.
Someone, aka Jack Easterby, got Mrs. McNair involved in the Hopkins deal. But O'Brien was trying to dump Nuke a year earlier,. It was a vast nut wing conspiracy that led to that trade. Unless Cal is deemed totally incompetent to run this franchise, I don't expect to hear from her again.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Someone, aka Jack Easterby, got Mrs. McNair involved in the Hopkins deal. But O'Brien was trying to dump Nuke a year earlier,. It was a vast nut wing conspiracy that led to that trade. Unless Cal is deemed totally incompetent to run this franchise, I don't expect to hear from her again.
That's the Texans in a nutshell

badboy

Hall of Fame
I am hoping Mrs. Mcnair is not taking Any more calls from mothers of her players.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I think it is the other Mrs. McNair that you've to worry about, Hannah. She seems to be more front and center and has taken a more prominent role and public persona with the Texans in the last year or so. Hannah is the new Jack Easterby.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cal has said that HC search will be transparent and fans will completely informed throughout the entire process. Whew, I feel better now. I know exactly how DeShaun Watson must have felt.
He also said he'd be more involved, which is just spin because he's always been involved, and it should honestly scare us if you think about it. lol

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
How do you feel about Hannah McNair hiring the next Texans HC?

I have no illusions it will be a group effort, but your video is the first of my hearing her. I'm impressed. She's not afraid of the spotlight and personable.

I learned at work a long time ago I could say the exact same thing a coworker did ,but he said it with more conviction so it carried more weight with others. I've since worked on that. Cal needs to as well.

She instantly instills more confidence then he does. I'm glad they're putting her out there. I think it's good for them as owners and us as fans.

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
I look at Cal as Arthur Carlson, Jr. - the fictional WKRP radio station manager.

Mr. Carlson is a well-meaning, bumbling, childlike man who is completely out of touch with the changes that have occurred in the radio and music business. He keeps his job as general manager of WKRP only because his mother, Lillian Carlson, better known as "Mama Carlson", owns the station.

Substitute "radio and music" for football. Does this sound familiar?
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head!

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How do you feel about Hannah McNair hiring the next Texans HC?
It's just more of the same on Kirby. It's their M.O.

She's no more qualified to hire a head coach than anyone here. Her only qualification is being married to Cal.

Hope for the best, but expect what we've seen for the last two decades.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

She's no more qualified to hire a head coach than anyone here. Her only qualification is being married to Cal.

surely it can't get any worse

Texian

Hall of Fame

There is a video of Cal and Hannah where Hannah is going on and on about how Caserio remained calm throughout the draft. At that moment you knew that Caserio wasn't going anywhere soon. Hannah and Cal's recent video say how happy they are to be where they are, with lots of high draft picks and plenty of cap room. Spin and excuses while completely ignoring the page and a half of FUBARS and SNAFUS over the last 2 years.

This does not change the mindset and patterns of behavior. I expect Cal, Hannah, and Caserio to be the same people they have always been, making the same decisions they have for the last two years. They are who they are. Times change, but people don't. The McNair's NEVER FULLY clean house. Some things never change

Last edited:

michaelm

vox nihili
Putting aside who we "think" is selecting the coach, imo there's not a single bad candidate on the list that I've seen so far, so I don't personally give a crap who made the list.
I'm happy with what they've shown so far in this coaching hire process, and I'm willing to give whomever it is the benefit of the doubt for the time being.
My optimism has a short leash however.
Actually, no leash, it's gripping the collar directly lol

Xopher

Rookie
Putting aside who we "think" is selecting the coach, imo there's not a single bad candidate on the list that I've seen so far, so I don't personally give a crap who made the list.
I'm happy with what they've shown so far in this coaching hire process, and I'm willing to give whomever it is the benefit of the doubt for the time being.
My optimism has a short leash however.
Actually, no leash, it's gripping the collar directly lol
Shockingly the only one I am against right now is Demeco. That's only because of the rumor he would bring Anthony Lynn as his OC. No thanks

michaelm

vox nihili
Shockingly the only one I am against right now is Demeco. That's only because of the rumor he would bring Anthony Lynn as his OC. No thanks
I haven't seen a lot of information on it but from the little I've seen, it looks like Payton would have the best chance at bringing in a top coaching staff, followed by Gannon.

Someone feel free to correct me on that though

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The people (Cal and Hannah) hiring the new HC are the same people who hired Jack Easterby.
You don't like the list of HC candidates?

With this list I think picking a HC is fool proof. Although if anybody can screwup a HC hire it would be Cal.

Khelar

Rookie

With this list I think picking a HC is fool proof. Although if anybody can screwup a HC hire it would be Cal.
I won’t stop being nervous until one of them says yes. Seems like they’ve done a much better job of selecting the targets, now we’ll see if they can convince the targets to come here.

Texian

Hall of Fame

I don't really like anything about what has transpired in the last month. First, should have kept Lovie instead of firing him. If you're going to fire him, should've done it in the middle of December. Think long-term and do whatever you need to do to secure Williams or Maye. Foolproof? Man are you easy? Of all of the coaches hired this year, maybe one will reach the playoffs. Most will be fired in 3 to 4 years.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There is a video of Cal and Hannah where Hannah is going on and on about how Caserio remained calm throughout the draft. At that moment you knew that Caserio wasn't going anywhere soon. Hannah and Cal's recent video say how happy they are to be where they are, with lots of high draft picks and plenty of cap room. Spin and excuses while completely ignoring the page and a half of FUBARS and SNAFUS over the last 2 years.

This does not change the mindset and patterns of behavior. I expect Cal, Hannah, and Caserio to be the same people they have always been, making the same decisions they have for the last two years. They are who they are. Times change, but people don't. The McNair's NEVER FULLY clean house. Some things never change
Yep. Until they quit acting like helicopter owners, constantly hovering over their GM, and actually step back and let him do his job with 100% accountability and nothing clouded by boardroom consensus and ownership meddling, it's just the same old **** on Kirby Drive.

They are acting like they've got a "clean slate", completely ignoring the recent history and terrible decisions they've continuously made.

I'm not buying any of it. Prove it to me first. Earn respect. Just existing is no longer all that is required. They've ground it down to be an absolute shitshow, so let's see them build it back up to something consistently successful. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, it is what it is and always has been.

michaelm

vox nihili
I don't really like anything about what has transpired in the last month. First, should have kept Lovie instead of firing him. If you're going to fire him, should've done it in the middle of December. Think long-term and do whatever you need to do to secure Williams or Maye. Foolproof? Man are you easy? Of all of the coaches hired this year, maybe one will reach the playoffs. Most will be fired in 3 to 4 years.
What's the benefit of firing him in mid December vs when they did?
The process of interviewing would have started pretty much at the same time it did, but regardless, they'd be exactly where they are right now, waiting for playoff teams to get knocked out before making a final decision

Khelar

Rookie
What's the benefit of firing him in mid December vs when they did?
The process of interviewing would have started pretty much at the same time it did, but regardless, they'd be exactly where they are right now, waiting for playoff teams to get knocked out before making a final decision
Make it less likely you win that Colts game and lose the number 1 pick. That’s the only reason I can think of at least

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was on board with keeping Lovie to ensure Williams or Maye.

Payton won't have the being fired in 4-5 yrs issue.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Cal's first FUBAR in the HC search was not firing Caserio too. Too many perspective HC interviews don't want anything to do with Cliche Man. Thanks but no thanks.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cal's first FUBAR in the HC search was not firing Caserio too. Too many perspective HC interviews don't want anything to do with Cliche Man. Thanks but no thanks.
The only time this franchise has started off with a clean slate was in 2002.

There must be something scary and intimidating for them to not have a leftover GM or HC to hold their hands.

Xopher

Rookie
You're not the only one.

Anthony Lynn as OC + Failure.

I'm also not sure he can put together a staff as good as Payton/Gannon/Striechen etc...
I really like Gannon, but, and I may be wrong, I'm not sure. It is much harder to be a great OC than a great DC. I would rather the head coach be an offensive coach because their philosophy still stays if their OC leaves. You hire a defensive coach and their OC leaves then you have to find another OC and possibly and entire new offensive scheme.