Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Typical Texans... spinning wheels on a greased track for an extra year trying to get moving in the proper direction
That's what happened when BOB was the GM. Caserio had no draft picks or cap space to work with.

What did you expect from Caserio since he had so little to work with. He had to trade Derrick to get draft capital to work with and it took a couple of years to clean up the mess. The rebuild started last off-season with the draft.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
That's what happened when BOB was the GM. Caserio had no draft picks or cap space to work with.

What did you expect from Caserio since he had so little to work with. He had to trade Derrick to get draft capital to work with and it took a couple of years to clean up the mess. The rebuild started last off-season with the draft.
I'm certainly not laying it on Caserio.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So what year did the rebuild start?
imo it started when Caserio got the job.

He didn’t repair the Owner/QB relationship
The cap will not be where it should be after two years.
only one draft pick from 2021 will be starting tomorrow (this is on a talentless team)
Most of his draft picks in 2022 have missed some time due to injury & the one who’s played every game can’t tackle & drops interceptions placed in his hands.
He’s on his 2nd HC & the team still looks uncoached

I don’t care who is ultimately responsible for any of this, that’s not the point. We’ll be two years in & looks like we’re still digging the hole BO’b stuck us in. The more things change…

All I’m seeing is wasted time & wasted money

amazing80

Hall of Fame

only one draft pick from 2021 will be starting tomorrow (this is on a talentless team)
Most of his draft picks in 2022 have missed some time due to injury & the one who’s played every game can’t tackle & drops interceptions placed in his hands.

I don’t care who is ultimately responsible for any of this, that’s not the point. We’ll be two years in & looks like we’re still digging the hole BO’b stuck us in. The more things change…

I agree with all of this, but he's also been stripping the team down the past few years so we can actually rebuild it.

I am 50/50 on Nick. I wouldn't fire him yet, but I wouldn't care if we did. He was not my preferred choice, but unless Cal gets out of the way, we are limiting GMs anyway.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

There's no way the relationship could be repaired.

There's plenty of cap room, not that they will be able to draw top tier FA's this off-season. How many starters did you expect Caserio to add through the draft in 2021since he didn't have 1st-2nd rd picks. He found a solid WR2 and some solid backups like Wallow/Lopez in the later rds.

Injuries happen, but Caserio drafted a solid 2022 class. Could it have been better? Yes, but the Draft class isn't being coached up. They seem to be getting worse as the year is going on. This is to be expected from rookies hitting the rookie wall.

What money is being wasted?

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There's no way the relationship could be repaired.

There's plenty of cap room, not that they will be able to draw top tier FA's this off-season. How many starters did you expect Caserio to add through the draft in 2021since he didn't have 1st-2nd rd picks. He found a solid WR2 and some solid backups like Wallow/Lopez in the later rds.

Injuries happen, but Caserio drafted a solid 2022 class. Could it have been better? Yes, but the Draft class isn't being coached up. They seem to be getting worse as the year is going on. This is to be expected from rookies hitting the rookie wall.

What money is being wasted?
The point is we're still digging.

You keep making excuses. That's fine. We need people like you.

But the rebuild hasn't started & probably won't start for two years. You just can't see it. "Good enough" cap space is good for you. No drafted starters on a talentless team is "good enough" for you. Dead money that could have been carried over is "good enough" for you.

Bless your heart

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

But the rebuild hasn't started & probably won't start for two years. You just can't see it. "Good enough" cap space is good for you. No drafted starters on a talentless team is "good enough" for you. Dead money that could have been carried over is "good enough" for you.

Bless your heart
Most people would say we are in the middle of a rebuild, not that it hasn’t started. We drafted a 4 starters last draft. We will have a a better cap situation next year. We are in a better situation than we were with Culley, Mills, and Watson on the hold out.

Have you been hitting the bottle early?

Texian

Hall of Fame

Bless your heart
You're pretty much spot on. The very first thing Caserio did as Texans new GM was to refuse to take any calls about trades for DW4. Regardless of the fact, taking calls from other GMs is exactly what GMs are supposed to do.

Starting the 2021 season Caserio could have cut or traded (cleaned house) 8 to 10 players and saved $50MM +. Instead, he resigned and overpaid a couple of players he ended up cutting.

Nick restructured every contract he could so he could fill out the roster with a bunch of over-the-hill 1-year contracts. So instead of saving $50MM, Nick created $60MM in dead money. Fiscally responsible Caserio is not. This doesn't even take into account the $24MM Culley got to leave the building and not come back.

He traded away several draft picks for players who were going to be cut. He traded for several players he ended up cutting only weeks or a few months later. Clearly, in a rebuilding year where you need a lot of young players to fill out the roster, he used 10 draft picks to draft 5 players.

But if you drink enough Kool-Aid, Nick Caserio is the GM of the Year.

A lot of the Brigade will say I just hate Caserio. I don't hate Caserio but as you can see Caserio has made a lot of decisions to clearly show anyone who is paying attention that he does not know what he's doing as a GM.

texanhead08

All Pro
I didn't agree with how he filled out the roster in year one. I would have rather signed rookie free agents with the hope you might find a talented guy who just slipped in the draft.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Anyone else see new articles like this and just kind of get worried that as bad as things are, "worse" is right around the corner?

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/josh-mccown-texans-coach-17626293.php?IPID=Chron-HP-Latest-News
I'm rooting for worse. Eventually the McNairs will either have to sell or move when nobody bothers to pay attention to their perpetually failing product on the field.

Either way, win for Houston football fans.

A McCown hire would at least be entertaining. Circuses always love getting new clowns. :popcorn:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm rooting for worse. Eventually the McNairs will either have to sell or move when nobody bothers to pay attention to their perpetually failing product on the field.

A McCown hire would at least be entertaining. Circuses always love getting new clowns. :popcorn:
Agreed and McCown couldn't be worse than what's going down on Kirby now.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
[/QUOTE]

Cal McNair Siblings: Cary McNair, Ruth Smith, Melissa Reichert
Bob & Janice had 3 other children besides Cal so how come none of them is apparently coming in with their hand out saying
"I want the cash now".
Do we ever hear anything about Cal's siblings ? I haven't. And they aren't youngsters, because you know Cal is like 60.
I mean if I'm one of those kids or a spouse I'm like "damn lets get some of those green backs now honey,and have a blast because we ain't get any younger."
Anyway it just seems to me that at some point someone would come in and push for a liquidation ?

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
The McNairs have never been able to read a room. Cal is like the captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg, and calls for the violinist to go out on deck and entertain the masses while the ship slowly sinks. I know what will make the fans happy. How about if I grill ‘em some burgers. Fans don’t want some damn hamburger, they want competent owners who will bring us multiple championships. So far there isn’t a shred of evidence that the current owners have even a slim shot of one, much less multiple championships. Read the room and sell the team to much better owners and walk off into the sunset with your millions of unearned bounty for your failures.

Bob & Janice had 3 other children besides Cal so how come none of them is apparently coming in with their hand out saying
"I want the cash now".
Do we ever hear anything about Cal's siblings ? I haven't. And they aren't youngsters, because you know Cal is like 60.
I mean if I'm one of those kids or a spouse I'm like "damn lets get some of those green backs now honey,and have a blast because we ain't get any younger."
Anyway it just seems to me that at some point someone would come in and push for a liquidation ?
They all have more money right now that most can dream of and are still making tons of money year over year with the Texans and their other ventures. That's why they aren't asking to cash out.

Texian

Hall of Fame
"I want the cash now".
This usually takes some time. If something is going to happen it usually takes some time. On average 4 to 5 years.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The McNairs have never been able to read a room. Cal is like the captain of the Titanic after it hit the iceberg, and calls for the violinist to go out on deck and entertain the masses while the ship slowly sinks. I know what will make the fans happy. How about if I grill ‘em some burgers.
I can't stop laughing at this.

Trust Cal. If we're talking grilling burgers.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Cal isn't the POS his dad was, so that is a plus. I think he is kind of a money mark, getting played by guys like Easterby, but most owners are.
If Easterby was the horrible influence that helped wreck Texans and manipulated McNairs, we should see huge improvement this offseason with him gone. I am not so optimistic.

vtech9

All Pro

texanhead08

All Pro
Texans always fail to see the big picture they need a coach who will establish a winning culture and who has a reputation as a teacher. The league has parity and teams that don't make mistakes and coaches who get the maximum out of their roster are who wins on game day.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Texans always fail to see the big picture they need a coach who will establish a winning culture and who has a reputation as a teacher. The league has parity and teams that don't make mistakes and coaches who get the maximum out of their roster are who wins on game day.
I mentioned in another post that I thought K-State HC, Chris Klieman would be an excellent target b/c he has dealt with adversity when taking over North Dakota State and Kansas State. He’s won nicely with both.

I also like his Coordinator’s a lot b/c their young and have aggressive and flexible attacks. OC, Colin Klein / DC, Joe Klanderman.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I mentioned in another post that I thought K-State HC, Chris Klieman would be an excellent target b/c he has dealt with adversity when taking over North Dakota State and Kansas State. He’s won nicely with both.

I also like his Coordinator’s a lot b/c their young and have aggressive and flexible attacks. OC, Colin Klein / DC, Joe Klanderman.
Do any of these guys have NFL experience?

OptimisticTexan

I think you're old enough to remember that Jimmy Johnson built a college football powerhouse at Miami. Not North Dakota St. The NFL isn't Kansas, Toto.
NDSU didn’t win those Championships under Klieman b/c he was stealing Alabama’s 5 star recruits. He did it with his players and a solid system. Now he’s getting it done at Kansas State and again….no raid on Alabama’s recruits. I don’t see him being someone who’d let the NFL overwhelm him, he’s a HC who obviously has a way of communicating to his players and a system they buy into.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I don’t see him being someone who’d let the NFL overwhelm him
You may not, but the NFL hasn't seen many college to pros success stories lately. Meyer and Rhule were colossal high $$$ busts. And Kingsbury looks to be on his last legs. Not the right time for a move like that, and there are more than a handful of college coaches that would get a look before the K-State coach would.

OptimisticTexan

You may not, but the NFL hasn't seen many college to pros success stories lately. Meyer and Rhule were colossal high $$$ busts. And Kingsbury looks to be on his last legs. Not the right time for a move like that, and there are more than a handful of college coaches that would get a look before the K-State coach would.
That’s why we come on this board to share opinions.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
NDSU didn’t win those Championships under Klieman b/c he was stealing Alabama’s 5 star recruits. He did it with his players and a solid system. Now he’s getting it done at Kansas State and again….no raid on Alabama’s recruits. I don’t see him being someone who’d let the NFL overwhelm him, he’s a HC who obviously has a way of communicating to his players and a system they buy into.
The difficulty for such a HC, nowadays, is the type of players, and possibly a non-aligned GM.

In college, you're able to find guys who are real team players.

It's different at the NFL level.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Maybe after Janice passes Hannah finds a way to take over and we are better off?? Just saying chances to sell are low, so looking for that blind squirrel nut. She seems competent when out in public which is a start

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Maybe after Janice passes Hannah finds a way to take over and we are better off?? Just saying chances to sell are low, so looking for that blind squirrel nut. She seems competent when out in public which is a start
I don't know of anything Janice McNair has done, other than hand the reins of the organization to her son Cal. Which was her dying husband's wish.

Htownrocket

Practice Squad
I'm always joking about the Texans selling and Amy Adams doing a ownership swap and rebranding as the Oilers. I know it's far fetched. :laughjump:

She still lives in the Houston area and if I had to guess I bet deep down she wishes she her NFL ownership was with her home city. I bet Bud regretted moving the team the rest of his life.

Texian

Hall of Fame
So what do you think happens if Cal brings in Sean Payton for a HC interview and Sean says the following:

I respect that you're the owner. However, you need to know that if you want me to be your HC, I will hire the GM and the entire coaching staff.

This Kirby Boardroom is closed for all practical purposes. There will be no more weekly meetings here. At best I will agree to update ownership on a monthly basis or after every 4 games we play.

There will be no owner meddling in football operations as long as I am the HC. Any interference or meddling from ownership in football operations is the reason and cause for me to leave immediately with full prepayment of my contract.

Ownership from a management perspective will be responsible for marketing, league affairs, and anything else not involving football operations.

Just curious..... what do you think would be Janice and Cal's response? IMO I can't see Sean Payton agreeing to become the Texans HC without an ironclad contract similar to the above.

austins23

Hall of Fame
So what do you think happens if Cal brings in Sean Payton for a HC interview and Sean says the following:

I respect that you're the owner. However, you need to know that if you want me to be your HC, I will hire the GM and the entire coaching staff.

This Kirby Boardroom is closed for all practical purposes. There will be no more weekly meetings here. At best I will agree to update ownership on a monthly basis or after every 4 games we play.

There will be no owner meddling in football operations as long as I am the HC. Any interference or meddling from ownership in football operations is the reason and cause for me to leave immediately with full prepayment of my contract.

Ownership from a management perspective will be responsible for marketing, league affairs, and anything else not involving football operations.

Just curious..... what do you think would be Janice and Cal's response? IMO I can't see Sean Payton agreeing to become the Texans HC without an ironclad contract similar to the above.
Cal's head would explode.