Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair

Texian

Hall of Fame
Are we finally off the Eliot Wolfe train?
NO! I would be perfectly fine with Daniel Calhoun hiring Eliot Wolfe as long as Cal moved his office to the opposite side of the stadium from the Kirby boardroom. I don't know where you came up with Eliot Wolfe, maybe trolling?

You also kind of missed the point which also suggests you were trolling. The original comment and idea were about 2 very successful owners and their behaviors and 1 very successful head coach's ideas on how to organize and run a successful football operation. Never was there a mention of a GM or Wolfe.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's wishful thinking that the McNairs do anything to increase their knowledge as pro football franchise owners.

The cash rolls in annually, just like Bob McNair knew it would. Beyond that would suggest that they have learned from their mistakes of the past two decades, and I have yet to see even the slightest indication that this has happened in the Kirby boardroom.

It requires a self-awareness that I figure most inherited billionaires rarely possess. Why change when you are extremely successful (off the field) and filthy rich? idonno:

Texian

Hall of Fame
It's wishful thinking that the McNairs do anything to increase their knowledge as pro football franchise owners.

The cash rolls in annually, just like Bob McNair knew it would. Beyond that would suggest that they have learned from their mistakes of the past two decades, and I have yet to see even the slightest indication that this has happened in the Kirby boardroom.

It requires a self-awareness that I figure most inherited billionaires rarely possess. Why change when you are extremely successful (off the field) and filthy rich? idonno:
It may be wishful thinking but NFL franchises have been sold after original owner dies and siblings don’t share in the enthusiasm or passion and majority agree they would rather have their cash. It’s not like this has never happened before because it has.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
It may be wishful thinking but NFL franchises have been sold after original owner dies and siblings don’t share in the enthusiasm or passion and majority agree they would rather have their cash. It’s not like this has never happened before because it has.
Never before when franchises are increasing in value like they are now

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Broncos.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I thought Houston fans did not want their owners involved in team business? Jim Crane taking lead in Verlander negotiation:

I am not trying to compare Jim Crane with Cal McNair.
With Verlander…..I wouldn’t want anyone but Crane doing the negotiating. He’s the one who inevitably gives the thumbs up or down, so why not hear it straight from the horse’s mouth?

Could this be why in their eyes, there has been no mistakes worth giving a second thought about?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It may be wishful thinking but NFL franchises have been sold after original owner dies and siblings don’t share in the enthusiasm or passion and majority agree they would rather have their cash.
Maybe Cal needs the cash for a startup gaming company? It's a game where the protagonist is a sports team owner who would rather play video games than do his job. Let's call him Cal. The villains trying to stop Cal include:

A bombastic, potty mouth coach (we'll call him Bill)
A grifter posing as a spiritual guide by the name of Easterbunny
A controlling, pouty housewife (Hannah)
A QB that like massages a little too much (Derrick)

To get past the last level, Cal has to endure a monotonous drone of insults from message board posters complaining about how much his team sucks. On and on and on.

I think I'd rather play that game than watch this team.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Could this be why in their eyes, there has been no mistakes worth giving a second thought about?
Yep. Really good point. They might honestly think the six division "championships" has been very successful and there is nothing to fix other than the past couple of seasons.

I don't disagree, but I'm too pragmatic for wishful thinking. . .especially for something that I really, really, really want to happen. lol

This franchise is a golden goose for the McNair family. I just don't see them losing that revenue stream or connection with Bob McNair.

I thought Houston fans did not want their owners involved in team business? Jim Crane taking lead in Verlander negotiation:

I am not trying to compare Jim Crane with Cal McNair.
We don't want owners involved with team business WHEN THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **** THEY ARE DOING.

Crane, obviously, has proven himself to know what he's doing.

The McNairs have confirmed the exact opposite in the past two decades.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I don't disagree, but I'm too pragmatic for wishful thinking. . .especially for something that I really, really, really want to happen. lol

This franchise is a golden goose for the McNair family. I just don't see them losing that revenue stream or connection with Bob McNair.
I'm counting on the other 3 McNair siblings, Animosities, Greed, and the visions and dreams of what their $1 Billion in cash can do for their families.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Bob McNair died 4 years ago next week and there has not been a hint that I know of any grumbling or dissatisfaction among his heirs.
If there is, I'm not sure why anyone would know about it outside of the immediate family. Those would be conversations between Janice and her children. If/when the time to sell the franchise ever comes, my guess is the public would learn about it from the NFL.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He's missed. Whatever you want to say about Bob and his family, he brought NFL football back to Houston. Someone would have, but he did.

And I'm glad. I've had a lot of good times at Reliant/NRG. More in the parking lot than inside the stadium, but that's ok.
You set a really low bar.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm counting on the other 3 McNair siblings, Animosities, Greed, and the visions and dreams of what their $1 Billion in cash can do for their families.

I hope you're right. I don't have even the slightest clue what the McNair family is about behind the scenes, so it would be a story that would take most of us by surprise.

You set a really low bar.
Well, we are in Houston. It's not like our city's pro football history is anything but heartbreak, chokes, and seasonal failures. lol :choke:

When I talk about the franchise, it's purely in the "football bubble", meaning I rarely think much about any of it beyond chatting with friends and other fans. Maybe the fan passion would be a lot deeper if I experienced any sort of greatness as a fan at any point in the past 56 years.

But, at this point, I have to look at it from a pragmatic perspective that it is only entertainment. And in that regard, we have to look at tailgating being one of the best parts of that Texans entertainment experience. It's rarely due to the results on the field.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I hope you're right. I don't have even the slightest clue what the McNair family is about behind the scenes, so it would be a story that would take most of us by surprise.

Well, we are in Houston. It's not like our city's pro football history is anything but heartbreak, chokes, and seasonal failures. lol :choke:

When I talk about the franchise, it's purely in the "football bubble", meaning I rarely think much about any of it beyond chatting with friends and other fans. Maybe the fan passion would be a lot deeper if I experienced any sort of greatness as a fan at any point in the past 56 years.

But, at this point, I have to look at it from a pragmatic perspective that it is only entertainment. And in that regard, we have to look at tailgating being one of the best parts of that Texans entertainment experience. It's rarely due to the results on the field.
It can go either way, you have teams like the Cowboys (Jones) and Steelers (Rooney's) where most of the family has been involved with the franchise and there's no change. Then you have teams like the Broncos and Falcons where the siblings were ready to get their money and move on. Janice is the current owner of the Texans and I don't see any changes in Texans ownership until she is not.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If there is, I'm not sure why anyone would know about it outside of the immediate family. Those would be conversations between Janice and her children. If/when the time to sell the franchise ever comes, my guess is the public would learn about it from the NFL.
Personal family laundry frequently gets washed in public whether the family wants it or not. Too many people just have to run their mouth to another supposedly closed mouth individual.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Maybe the fan passion would be a lot deeper if I experienced any sort of greatness as a fan at any point in the past 56 years.
I think the passion is still there for Houston football fans. We want to believe. We want to cheerlead. But you can only be dumped on so many times before realizing you're being treated like a mushroom. I'll never forget the condescending Hopkins trade press conference, led by O'Brien. "This is about the T-E-A-M. We know what we're doing." The same with Cal's presser when hiring Caserio. "Trust us, we know what we're doing."

No, Houston football fans know football, and we know football guys when we see them. The Phillips were football guys. Kubiak was a football guy (though not a great leader). The McNairs? Never been football guys. Trust us, we know what we're looking at.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think the passion is still there for Houston football fans. We want to believe. We want to cheerlead. But you can only be dumped on so many times before realizing you being treated like a mushroom. I'll never forget the condescending Hopkins trade press conference, led by O'Brien. "This is about the T-E-A-M. We know what we're doing." The same with Cal's presser when hiring Caserio. "Trust us, we know what we're doing."

No, Houston football fans know football, and we know football guys when we see them. The Phillips were football guys. Kubiak was a football guy (though not a great leader). The McNairs? Never been football guys. Trust us, we know what we're looking at.
Great points. Fan passion has been heavily dampened by clueless (and often downright crappy) owners for the past 60 years. i.e. the whole point of this thread. lol

Hopefully that's changing and the McNairs take a back seat to football operations and Caserio is someone that can ultimately build a good team.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Great points. Fan passion has been heavily dampened by clueless (and often downright crappy) owners for the past 60 years. i.e. the whole point of this thread. lol

Hopefully that's changing and the McNairs take a back seat to football operations and Caserio is someone that can ultimately build a good team.
Is this part of that new fantasy novel you're writing?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Agreed and your post, while accurate is really sad.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Personal family laundry frequently gets washed in public whether the family wants it or not. Too many people just have to run their mouth to another supposedly closed mouth individual.
Not with Janice as the matriarch of the family. When she's no longer owner, then I think her kids might cash in their chips

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I look at Cal as Arthur Carlson, Jr. - the fictional WKRP radio station manager.

Mr. Carlson is a well-meaning, bumbling, childlike man who is completely out of touch with the changes that have occurred in the radio and music business. He keeps his job as general manager of WKRP only because his mother, Lillian Carlson, better known as "Mama Carlson", owns the station.

Substitute "radio and music" for football. Does this sound familiar?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Daniel Calhoun McNair, it is Thanksgiving weekend. By now you know exactly what you've and the direction your franchise is heading. Disenchantment, embarrassment, empty seats, and fan attrition to name just a few.

Jack Easterby and Bill O'Brien sold you a bill of goods on Nick Caserio. You thought you were getting Bill Belichick but you got Scott Pioli instead.

Like Kubiak, Lovie too has opted for the friends and family plan for his coaching staff. Like Kubiak, Lovie too has opted to use the "Wheel of Fortune" with his coaches for his draft plan.

If you continue down the same path you've traveled the last two years, with this same cast of characters, you will continue to produce the same results you've produced in 2021 and 2022, if not worse. If you're expecting different results, don't.

More importantly with your current management's mindset, the return on your investment from the DeShaun Watson trade is failing and will likely fail on a grander scale if the same process and planning (or lack thereof) are continued.

You can still maximize your return from the Watson trade on a much grander scale if you act quickly. First and most importantly you still have a majority of the return on your investment from the Watson trade (Four First RD picks in the next 2 years).

That is more than enough incentive that would allow you to attract a winning successful head coach. It would certainly entertain a high-profile head coach resume that the Texans have never been familiar with. (High Winning %, Championships, Coaching Awards)

For you to do this, the first thing you must do is clean the house on January 9th, 2023. Including Lovie Smith, Pep Hamilton, and Nick Caserio. Now is not too late to start putting out feelers for that high-profile resume.

If you do not do this and continue down the same path you are on, then the disenchantment, embarrassment, empty seats, and fan attrition will continue and become the Houston Texans' norm.

The commanding officer and drill inspector in my avatar would be my starting point.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Daniel Calhoun McNair, it is Thanksgiving weekend. By now you know exactly what you've and the direction your franchise is heading. Disenchantment, embarrassment, empty seats, and fan attrition to name just a few.

Jack Easterby and Bill O'Brien sold you a bill of goods on Nick Caserio. You thought you were getting Bill Belichick but you got Scott Pioli instead.

Like Kubiak, Lovie too has opted for the friends and family plan for his coaching staff. Like Kubiak, Lovie too has opted to use the "Wheel of Fortune" with his coaches for his draft plan.

If you continue down the same path you've traveled the last two years, with this same cast of characters, you will continue to produce the same results you've produced in 2021 and 2022, if not worse. If you're expecting different results, don't.

More importantly with your current management's mindset, the return on your investment from the DeShaun Watson trade is failing and will likely fail on a grander scale if the same process and planning (or lack thereof) are continued.

You can still maximize your return from the Watson trade on a much grander scale if you act quickly. First and most importantly you still have a majority of the return on your investment from the Watson trade (Four First RD picks in the next 2 years).

That is more than enough incentive that would allow you to attract a winning successful head coach. It would certainly entertain a high-profile head coach resume that the Texans have never been familiar with. (High Winning %, Championships, Coaching Awards)

For you to do this, the first thing you must do is clean the house on January 9th, 2023. Including Lovie Smith, Pep Hamilton, and Nick Caserio. Now is not too late to start putting out feelers for that high-profile resume.

If you do not do this and continue down the same path you are on, then the disenchantment, embarrassment, empty seats, and fan attrition will continue and become the Houston Texans' norm.

The commanding officer and drill inspector in my avatar would be my starting point.
Texian who?
Signed
DOLLAR BILL CAL

Texian

Hall of Fame
IMO before Culley and now we're into either year two of the rebuild, or year one of the "new" rebuild with Lovie. In any case, we'll still be in rebuild mode next year. And if we get a new HC.........
You're trying to make this way too complicated. You just need to trust Cal, he knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Fickell

LMAO
Just look at that face. That has to be the most outstanding Commanding Officer, Drill Instructor you've ever seen. I do believe Vrabel and AJ Hawk said they have never seen anyone tougher on a football field than Luke Fickell. Vrabel and Fickell were roommates in college. I think Vrabel vs Fickell twice a year would be outstanding! Pretty sure Vrabel would agree with you, not wanting Fickell in his conference. You probably have nothing to worry about, I believe I heard Fickell say that the college game is more suited for him. There were rumors Fickell was headed to Nebraska but now it looks like Matt Rhule will get that job.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
IMO before Culley and now we're into either year two of the rebuild, or year one of the "new" rebuild with Lovie. In any case, we'll still be in rebuild mode next year. And if we get a new HC.........
Yes but 2023 will be a new, new rebuild! It would be one thing if we at least had a good foundation only had to tear down the Walls and flooring.