Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal Mcnair - most confused man in the world.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Watson was included..with the rest who had nothing to do with the decision. I think the guy meant JJ not TJ apologised to #4. All Cal had to do was say" Dashaun we consider your desire for another GM but I decided to go with Nick. Uh, who is the guy you want for HC? Oh yeah. I considered him also but.."

My thing is Watson should’ve known as soon as Nick was legitimately available. Cal was going to hire him shortly afterwards. They’ve went after this dude every year since 2018. So for Watson to get all bent out of shape behind this is pretty darn silly. This organization just dropped a contract in your lap for 175 million. And you’re crying on social media because they didn’t contact you first.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I imagine as they left the table Nick tied Cletus' shoe for him, reassured him they'd have chili dogs for lunch instead of the nasty vegetables they had yesterday, and as they walked away handed him his favorite hotwheel before Cal asked if he could play with Nick's phone instead and Nick just rubbed Cal's head and said, 'sure, that's ok buddy, here..'

And I for one am glad that there's at least the appearance of an adult in the room all of a sudden.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
OMG!! a Hookem sighting! Welcome back to your MB. Any chance Jags will trade their first four picks for Watson and Tunsil as they also have the cap pace? Nah, I didn't think so. Depending on who the Jags get as coach I may begin to follow them also.
I visit most days but just don't post much. I don't follow the Texans like I used to, especially after moving out here. The Bucs were my other "since childhood" team along with the Oilers and now they're my local team so naturally they're who I follow now.

As for the Jags, don't do it. Their fans are grade A a-holes. I've been up there for a couple of Texans games and they've come here to Ray Jay. I've only come close to literally getting into a grown man fight twice in my life and both times involved Jags fans. Believe it or not, Florida metro areas are even more unlike each other than in Texas. Jacksonville, the Tampa Bay area, and Miami are totally different places. If it weren't for this area I probably wouldn't live in Florida.

We also don't see Jags fans, hear Jags news, or get their games around here. They might as well be in California. The Dolphins are more the AFC team here and we don't always get their games.

If you're going to follow a second team go with NFC. Following the Bucs and Oilers my entire life there was rarely a conflict, even though in 1979 it was almost the Super Bowl. Both teams were in the conference championship games that year. Yes, I am that old and go back that far with both teams :).

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I was kind of surprised. He actually comes off as a pretty good guy. Someone that you wouldn't mind as having as a neighbor, but again, not running an NFL franchise. It reminds me of when I had some classes in Austin with a former body guard of GW Bush. He said the same thing. "W is great to hang out with, drink beer with, etc, however you don't want him running the country". :)
You're probably right.

I've had a customer that reminds me of him. Large manufacturing firm in Houston that he inherited and we were their logistics company for many years at that point. We went for a sales visit shortly after he took over and two things stood out: he was really interested in us having a brochure that had pictures of planes and ships on them (because he had received some brochures from some of our competitors). And the other thing was when he took a phone call from his mom - during our meeting about international logistics - where he proceeded to argue with her for 5-10 minutes about green beans for dinner (he was upset because they had already had green beans that week).

I kid you not. We were absolutely flabbergasted and still laugh about it to this day. lol :heh:

I figure this will be Cal in the coming months:

Homer.gif

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I imagine as they left the table Nick tied Cletus' shoe for him, reassured him they'd have chili dogs for lunch instead of the nasty vegetables they had yesterday, and as they walked away handed him his favorite hotwheel before Cal asked if he could play with Nick's phone instead and Nick just rubbed Cal's head and said, 'sure, that's ok buddy, here..'

And I for one am glad that there's at least the appearance of an adult in the room all of a sudden.
This is perfect! Yes, now go away and play with your toys Cal, let NC run the franchise please

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I visit most days but just don't post much. I don't follow the Texans like I used to, especially after moving out here. The Bucs were my other "since childhood" team along with the Oilers and now they're my local team so naturally they're who I follow now.

As for the Jags, don't do it. Their fans are grade A a-holes. I've been up there for a couple of Texans games and they've come here to Ray Jay. I've only come close to literally getting into a grown man fight twice in my life and both times involved Jags fans. Believe it or not, Florida metro areas are even more unlike each other than in Texas. Jacksonville, the Tampa Bay area, and Miami are totally different places. If it weren't for this area I probably wouldn't live in Florida.

We also don't see Jags fans, hear Jags news, or get their games around here. They might as well be in California. The Dolphins are more the AFC team here and we don't always get their games.

If you're going to follow a second team go with NFC. Following the Bucs and Oilers my entire life there was rarely a conflict, even though in 1979 it was almost the Super Bowl. Both teams were in the conference championship games that year. Yes, I am that old and go back that far with both teams :).
Growing up, after the Oilers, the Bucs were my 2nd favorite team. Why? From pee wee to high school, I wore the hell out of that orange

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I can only cheer for my home team. I grew up liking different teams but Htown is where it's at. I was thinking about picking up the Saints as my secondary team.
Your second team should be the one that wins easily, and not as frustrating. The Saints are about to lose a HOF QB and possibly their coach.

I would go with the Chiefs. Going to be winning for a while.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
My thing is Watson should’ve known as soon as Nick was legitimately available. Cal was going to hire him shortly afterwards. They’ve went after this dude every year since 2018. So for Watson to get all bent out of shape behind this is pretty darn silly. This organization just dropped a contract in your lap for 175 million. And you’re crying on social media because they didn’t contact you first.
Watson is 25 and although not from wealth has been pretty sheltered as a star athlete from this portion "you are a worker and that is management/ownership."

Texian

Hall of Fame

You think you're old, I went to the very first game in the old sombrero, except then the end zones were open end. Air Force vs Florida. They released the Falcon for a fly around pregame, the bird never came back. Loved living in Tampa. Lived on Bayshore Dr. (MacDill AFB), I could walk out the backdoor and have my hook in the water in 60 seconds.

It reminds me of when I had some classes in Austin with a former body guard of GW Bush. He said the same thing. "W is great to hang out with, drink beer with, etc, however you don't want him running the country". :)
I am a staunch conservative and I think "W" was one the worst presidents of my lifetime. To be honest there have been a few of those lately

Last edited:

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Growing up, after the Oilers, the Bucs were my 2nd favorite team. Why? From pee wee to high school, I wore the hell out of that orange
Nice, that was me. I had a Doug Williams jersey from the Sears catalog in the 70’s. I also had the old 70’s NFL jacket. I had both an Oilers and Bucs one. I went to La Porte schools and we had the same colors as the Bucs. I had no idea where Tampa Bay was and never imagined that I would be living here some day.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
You think you're old, I went to the very first game in the old sombrero, except then the end zones were open end. Air Force vs Florida. They released the Falcon for a fly around pregame, the bird never came back. Loved living in Tampa. Lived on Bayshore Dr. (MacDill AFB), I could walk out the backdoor and have my hook in the water in 60 seconds.

I am a staunch conservative and I think "W" was one the worst presidents of my lifetime. To be honest there have been a few of those lately
Very cool. I’m in Indian Shores on the Gulf. We’re on the intercoastal across the street from the Gulf. I don’t fish but see them on the beach most days often pulling in sharks. I’m about 30 minutes from Ray Jay, never did get to see the old Sombrero stadium.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Very cool. I’m in Indian Shores on the Gulf. We’re on the intercoastal across the street from the Gulf. I don’t fish but see them on the beach most days often pulling in sharks. I’m about 30 minutes from Ray Jay, never did get to see the old Sombrero stadium.
Nice area, I'm familiar with it. We spent a lot of time at Clearwater Beach and Sand Key park.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I can only cheer for my home team. I grew up liking different teams but Htown is where it's at. I was thinking about picking up the Saints as my secondary team.
Take my advice, whomever you pick go NFC. Nothing sucks as much as watching your secondary team beat the hell out of your first team year in and year out. Even if your first team does win it still doesn’t feel that great.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Reading this outright pi$$es me off.

In short, Cal McNair got hoodwinked by the people he most trusts. And amidst a chaotic 4-12 season for the Houston Texans, an atmosphere of frustration, tension and mistrust is now not just the dark cloud hanging over NRG Stadium ...
It's also part of the foundation beneath it.

austins23

Hall of Fame

In short, Cal McNair got hoodwinked by the people he most trusts. And amidst a chaotic 4-12 season for the Houston Texans, an atmosphere of frustration, tension and mistrust is now not just the dark cloud hanging over NRG Stadium ...
1610558157209.png
Unreal...

Texian

Hall of Fame

This is nothing more than another rehash of the SI/PFT/NBC character assassination of Jack Easterby. These media jerks are mad and seeking retribution for the firing of Amy Palcic. Apparently Amy ran to her media buddies after being fired saying Easterby fired her for publicly voicing her support for Joe Biden. Her liberal media friends came to her rescue and are trying to destroy Jack Easterby for hurting Amy.

I'm no fan of Easterby, never have been. The one alarming comment in the article as it applies to the Texans is this, "O'Brien's notorious temper and vice-like grip on any information leaving the facility meant little was ever heard about the ins and outs of his coaching and leadership style". Well there were 2 alarming comments, the other, Cal was Hoodwinked but I don't think anyone is surprised by this, almost expect it. The reason the first comment is alarming is because this is exactly what is going on with Caserio and Easterby. It's a continuation of the O'Brien/Belichick management style. Nothing has changed and it may get worse. Pitty the new HC he will be under undue pressure and stress. This is exactly what happened in Kansas City with Pioli. Texans micromanagement is going to record levels. If there is one thing these Belichick admin minions learn from Belichick is the Gestapo tactics of the New England Patriots. @steelbtexan is RIGHT, it's going to be the lost decade.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Interesting. I read the whole article and it never even mentioned Amy Palcic. What kind of harebrained half-assed conspiracy are they running over there?! They might want to brush up on their Illuminati history in order to get it right next time. :crazy: :tinfoil:

Of course, there's always the option that all of the information coming out is aligned and telling the truth, but there's no fun in that. CON$piracies are always a hoot. :hobie:

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Interesting. I read the whole article and it never even mentioned Amy Palcic. What kind of harebrained half-assed conspiracy are they running over there?! They might want to brush up on their Illuminati history in order to get it right next time. :crazy: :tinfoil:

Of course, there's always the option that all of the information coming out is aligned and telling the truth, but there's no fun in that. CON$piracies are always a hoot. :hobie:
Well they need some help with proofreading. AJs tweet was 1/12 not 1/14 and they finish the end of the article by calling Cal “Bob”

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
This is nothing more than another rehash of the SI/PFT/NBC character assassination of Jack Easterby. These media jerks are mad and seeking retribution for the firing of Amy Palcic. Apparently Amy ran to her media buddies after being fired saying Easterby fired her for publicly voicing her support for Joe Biden. Her liberal media friends came to her rescue and are trying to destroy Jack Easterby for hurting Amy.

I'm no fan of Easterby, never have been. The one alarming comment in the article as it applies to the Texans is this, "O'Brien's notorious temper and vice-like grip on any information leaving the facility meant little was ever heard about the ins and outs of his coaching and leadership style". Well there were 2 alarming comments, the other, Cal was Hoodwinked but I don't think anyone is surprised by this, almost expect it. The reason the first comment is alarming is because this is exactly what is going on with Caserio and Easterby. It's a continuation of the O'Brien/Belichick management style. Nothing has changed and it may get worse. Pitty the new HC he will be under undue pressure and stress. This is exactly what happened in Kansas City with Pioli. Texans micromanagement is going to record levels. If there is one thing these Belichick admin minions learn from Belichick is the Gestapo tactics of the New England Patriots. @steelbtexan is RIGHT, it's going to be the lost decade.
Written by this guy.
1610606057434.png
Holy crap, is this you @Texanballer76?

Texian

Hall of Fame

SI/PFT/NBC ALL went Bat Poop crazy on Easterby immediately after their beloved Amy Palcic was fired. Coincidence? And right before they all went on their Easterby massacre everyone of them were doing media pieces of their outrage at how a wonderful person such as Amy Palcic could ever get fired. Who in their right mind would ever do such a thing.

Last edited:

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Facebook is awash right now with accusations that the Texans are interviewing based on racial politics to appease Watson. Idk if there’s any truth to it. Ravens passing game co-ordinator is one.
Since Poppa McNair died, everything the org does seems to have terrible optics, whether it turns out to be right or wrong.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Facebook is awash right now with accusations that the Texans are interviewing based on racial politics to appease Watson. Idk if there’s any truth to it. Ravens passing game co-ordinator is one.
Since Poppa McNair died, everything the org does seems to have terrible optics, whether it turns out to be right or wrong.
Bobby had the same optics problems. The McNairs are just crap people in general. Cal just doesn't have the shield of being the man that brought football back to Houston.

I have no idea if Cal follows Bobby's example of extorting live entertainment promoters in Houston. When I worked for a concert promoter, the Texans sent over actual goons to demand part of the gate. From talking to other promoters, this used to happen all over the city. The Rodeo does this to an extent as well.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Bobby had the same optics problems. The McNairs are just crap people in general. Cal just doesn't have the shield of being the man that brought football back to Houston.

I have no idea if Cal follows Bobby's example of extorting live entertainment promoters in Houston. When I worked for a concert promoter, the Texans sent over actual goons to demand part of the gate. From talking to other promoters, this used to happen all over the city. The Rodeo does this to an extent as well.
It’s interesting to know, but their national, and international press used to be extremely well controlled, very little of this was spoken of, and you’d never hear of boardroom in-fighting or politics.

Even think back to early BOB era when BOB was presented to the press, even on Hard Knocks and an epathic dad working hard for the team to provide for his family.

Later we find out he’s a bully whilst the GM is a racist and there’s sex pests in the FO.

Texian

Hall of Fame

The McNairs are NOT crap people. To the contrary, they're fine outstanding people. They've done more for the city of Houston than most. They contribute millions of $$$ to charities. Their Foundations benefit enormous amount of Houstonians. They're very good at running an NFL franchise. They're just very BAD, absolutely terrible at running an NFL football team.

As a former promoter I can tell you this is all part of the contract you sign. It's not uncommon for a facility to want a % of the gate and merchandise sales. It all depends on your skills as a contract negotiator. More often than not this could be negotiated out simply by standing your ground or threatening to take your shown else where. In some other cases you can simply negotiate a buyout of gate receipts and merchandise sales. $10K - $25K were common buyouts. The facility manager was all to happy to accept the buyout. Some shows like the Rodeo have no options and no choice but pay the %s. The Rodeo makes so much money they don't care. The Rodeo is also negotiating the entertainment contracts. The other thing I can tell you is this business is quite cutthroat. If you don't get your money upfront you might not get it.

The same is true for entertainment. Their contract shows up with two pages of stuff they want in their dressing room, usually worth $1000s of $$$. I would say we are not going to do that. What I will do is put the beverages they want and and a of tray snacks and pay them $100 p.p. meal money. This never failed. They didn't want to jeopardize a contract worth $10s or $100s of thousands over a preshow meal.

Last edited:

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
The McNairs are NOT crap people. To the contrary, they're fine outstanding people. They've done more for the city of Houston than most. They contribute millions of $$$ to charities. Their Foundations benefit enormous amount of Houstonians. They're very good at running an NFL franchise. They're just very BAD, absolutely terrible at running an NFL football team.

As a former promoter I can tell you this all part of the contract you sign. It's not uncommon for a facility to want a % part of the gate and merchandise sales. It all depends on your skills as a contract negotiator. More often than not this could be negotiated out simply by standing your ground or threatening to take your shown else where. In some other cases you can simply negotiate a buyout of gate receipts and merchandise sales. $10K - $25K were common buyouts. The facility manager was all to happy to accept the buyout. Some shows like the Rodeo have no options and no choice but pay the %s. The Rodeo makes so much money they don't care. The Rodeo is also negotiating the entertainments contracts. The other thing I can tell is this business is quite cutthroat. If you don't get your money upfront you might not get it.

The same is true for entertainment. Their contract shows up with two pages of stuff they want in their dressing room, usually worth $1000s of $$$. I would say we are not going to that. What I will do is put the beverages they want and and a tray snacks and pay them $100 p.p. meal money. This never failed. They didn't want to jeopardize a contract worth $10s or $100s of thousands over a preshow meal.
This wasn't at a Texans or Reliant facility. This was an entire different venue that we owned. If we didn't pay, they would have the cops shut off our street access. A lot of local promoters with their own venues were "paying tribute" in this way, because the Texans had all the stroke with the cops and fire inspectors. They think they own entertainment in the city.

I do agree with the entertainment industry in general. The music business in particular is cut-throat and awful. Glad I am done with it.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
“Deshaun and I connected over texts since he’s returned from vacation and I believe in dealing with the personnel issues directly with the players, but in conjunction with our general manager,” McNair said, via Mark Berman of FOX26Houston.com. “Deshaun, it’s no secret that he’s disappointed in the communication during the hiring process.”

McNair said he apologizes “for my actions or communications that have created mistrust” and that he wants Watson “in the loop” as the team moves forward with the search for a head coach.
GoldenGoose.jpg

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Cal quotes from Mark Berman:

"Change is hard and we’re going through change and I accept everything hasn’t gone perfectly," McNair said. "It’s just hard and we’re working through it. If players, media and fans are upset, that’s on me and I’ll apologize for my actions or communications that have created mistrust and I accept those team’s and fan’s frustrations. I’ll learn, listen, commit to getting better, but change is hard. Winning, what we’re trying to do, chase the championships, it’s gonna be hard. I’m committed to doing that."
"We have a long relationship with Andre, as you know, and I’d just say we feel his passion," McNair said. "He’s got a lot of passion for the Texans, for the game, and we share that. I talked to him during the phase where we visited with the advisory group early and I’ve reached out since then, but we haven’t spoken."
"Deshaun and I connected over texts since he’s returned from vacation and I believe in dealing with the personnel issues directly with the players, but in conjunction with our general manager," McNair said. Deshaun, it’s no secret that he’s disappointed in the communication during the (general manager) hiring process. That’s the intent," McNair said. "We want him in the loop and part of the process. Conversations are always good," McNair said.
"He’s our quarterback," McNair said. "I’ve liked Deshaun and watched him since he played at Clemson," McNair said. "I’ve believed in him and his leadership in (winning a) championship in college and I think he can lead our team to championships here. I’ve had a firm belief in that and we’ve seen it on the field in good years like last year. We went to the second round of the playoffs and he was a good leader. This year, the flip side of the coin, our record wasn’t nearly as good, but he was still the same great leader. We believe in him. My mom loves him. He’s a great person. He’s a Texan."
"Jack was put into that role that the organization needed by me and that scrutiny on Jack is really unjustified because that’s not what he was brought here for and now we have Nick and this is what Nick was brought here for. Nick is the GM and Jack will go into the role he was brought here for and what he grew into while he was here. Nick is in charge of the roster, personnel, contracts, all those things. Nick, not Jack. Nick’s the GM."
"We were waiting on Nick’s list of coaching candidates," McNair said. "Nick added him to the list. Other candidates had been recommended. Like all the candidates, they are Nick’s and my choices. Picking the right head coach is more important than making a quick pick. It’s an important spot, means a lot to us and we’ll take our time and get the right guy."