Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal Mcnair - most confused man in the world.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Cal is at the root of all our dysfunction the last 2 or so years. We will never sniff a super bowl with him as our owner. Seems like a nice guy but I have less than zero confidence in him.
Well, Bill, less than 0 isn't much at all. When we move heaven and earth to get what we wanted, we usually find out it wasn't worth it.

Mangler

Toro de España
That would be Bill O'Brien in both roles.
The way he wrote that by “When I do, I hire my guy a failed and fired GM” it looked like he was talking about Caserio. If so, he couldn’t be more wrong!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cal is at the root of all our dysfunction the last 2 or so years. We will never sniff a super bowl with him as our owner. Seems like a nice guy but I have less than zero confidence in him.
Looks like he’s been cleaning up his daddy’s mess. Broke a few eggs to do it, & probably a little ways more to go down the, “it’s going to get worse before it gets better.” road.

The key will be how much autonomy he gives to Caserio.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
It’s nice to see for once that the pretence of debate has been dropped and people are straight up arguing semantics without shame.

As with everything the Texans have done the past few years, the hire makes no sense in context. Unfortunately, when things have made no sense recently, it has proven to be an awful decision every time.

Let’s hope this 6 year contract isn’t another huge mistake, or people are going to start talking about a lost century let alone lost decade.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It’s nice to see for once that the pretence of debate has been dropped and people are straight up arguing semantics without shame.

As with everything the Texans have done the past few years, the hire makes no sense in context. Unfortunately, when things have made no sense recently, it has proven to be an awful decision every time.

Let’s hope this 6 year contract isn’t another huge mistake, or people are going to start talking about a lost century let alone lost decade.
Caserio is highly thought of around the league.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Caserio is highly thought of around the league.
He has a great resume and 2 years ago I was fully on board with going after him.

My worry is the coaching side. At a time when we should be tearing down the roster and starting again after a failing coaching staff, we are instead continuing along the same path.

Do we fire these awful coordinators at this point? Do we fire RAC? Devlin? They all fit from the pool Caserio would hire from anyway.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He has a great resume and 2 years ago I was fully on board with going after him.

My worry is the coaching side. At a time when we should be tearing down the roster and starting again after a failing coaching staff, we are instead continuing along the same path.

Do we fire these awful coordinators at this point? Do we fire RAC? Devlin? They all fit from the pool Caserio would hire from anyway.
This is like Caserio 2nd day on the job and today was filled up with the DW4 crap.

Housecleaning will come soon. Caserio's 1st interview is on Sunday with Eberflus.

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
Im going to say the unpopular, but honest truth. Not one player on this team has the hardware to be involved in the hiring process. Team full of perennial losers. Personally, I would not want any of them to be involved.

If im being completely honest, unless the HC is a ding a ling, Deshaun can perform under any HC/OC. Just my two cents

austins23

Hall of Fame
Not one player on this team has the hardware to be involved in the hiring process.
I bet you do not either, I know I don't! I've been at my current location for 11 years now and have had over 15 "bosses". I put it in quotes because they are not ever here long enough to make a difference. I've never had a say in who my boss is and I'm the most senior guy here. "I've been here the longest, I want to be involved in choosing my next boss!" Lol, I'd get told to stfu and go back to work, just like all of us would. These guys are "employees", just shut up and work. If you don't like your next boss, too bad. Out of those 15 "bosses" I've had only about 4 of them were worth anything. But I came to work and took care of my business. These guys should too.

I bet you do not either, I know I don't! I've been at my current location for 11 years now and have had over 15 "bosses". I put it in quotes because they are not ever here long enough to make a difference. I've never had a say in who my boss is and I'm the most senior guy here. "I've been here the longest, I want to be involved in choosing my next boss!" Lol, I'd get told to stfu and go back to work, just like all of us would. These guys are "employees", just shut up and work. If you don't like your next boss, too bad. Out of those 15 "bosses" I've had only about 4 of them were worth anything. But I came to work and took care of my business. These guys should too.
yes, especially when you are making millions.

banned1976

sleeper mode

I believe a lot of the coaches/coordinators contracts expire on January 12 or 20th, I can’t remember the exact date Crennel stated. Pretty sure it’s the 12th. Not to say the Texans have to wait until then, but that’s the deadline for the Texans to make a decision on those guys. And that’s why they needed to get a GM in here sooner rather than later.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Watching a couple of national NFL shows this morning. The dysfunction of the Texans is dominating the discussion. I won’t get into it but I’ve rarely agreed with anything this team has done from day one. Back in 2002 I really wanted them to replace the Oilers in my heart but they consistently kept blowing that. That ship has long since sailed now.

Sadly, things won’t change unless ownership changes.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Watching a couple of national NFL shows this morning. The dysfunction of the Texans is dominating the discussion. I won’t get into it but I’ve rarely agreed with anything this team has done from day one. Back in 2002 I really wanted them to replace the Oilers in my heart but they consistently kept blowing that. That ship has long since sailed now.

I think in a very short time Cal McNair's name will be synonymous with James Dolan. If he isn't there already.

Cal let two of the most incompetent football minds I ever seen turn our team into the joke of the league and we have a top 5 QB. Its a situation that makes zero sense. I remember when we drafted him because we all felt like we were a QB away from really competeting. And through that time this team becomes the 3rd worst team in the league.

I need Nick and the new HC to succeed because I don't think Houston fans will take being a joke as long as Browns and Lions fans. Its too miserable to watch this.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Im going to say the unpopular, but honest truth. Not one player on this team has the hardware to be involved in the hiring process. Team full of perennial losers. Personally, I would not want any of them to be involved.

If im being completely honest, unless the HC is a ding a ling, Deshaun can perform under any HC/OC. Just my two cents
I pretty much agree with this. I don't mind allowing DW4 to have a vote in who the Texans hire. I do mind him having anything resembling final say in the matter.
None of us know how much, if any, say DW4 has had in anything this offseason, or if he was even in the loop. Whatever his involvement, or lack thereof, he ain't happy about it and it would behoove Nick Caserio to try and make him happy. Within reason.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Cal let two of the most incompetent football minds I ever seen turn our team into the joke of the league and we have a top 5 QB. Its a situation that makes zero sense. I remember when we drafted him because we all felt like we were a QB away from really competeting. And through that time this team becomes the 3rd worst team in the league.

I need Nick and the new HC to succeed because I don't think Houston fans will take being a joke as long as Browns and Lions fans. Its too miserable to watch this.
Never mind.

DanielTx

Veteran
The nfl needs to investigate the Texans organization. It seems like there trying there best to handicap Watson

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I think in a very short time Cal McNair's name will be synonymous with James Dolan. If he isn't there already.
Interesting that you bring up Dolan. I'm a fan of one of his teams (NY Rangers) and they are actually ran well. It's because he knows nothing about hockey, hires the right people and stays out of the way. However, I know the Knicks are another situation. That should be lesson for all sports owners. You probably don't know more than the experts and it's best to let someone else run things. Just write the checks.

Bob and now Cal have always been too involved. They let their personal feelings and friendships get in the way of making sound decisions. This goes all the way back to David Carr. BTW, most of us old enough hated Bud Adams, however he was the opposite. He was brash and didn't care about feeling or friendships. At least his teams had personality and while not that successful on the field, the Oilers were more successful than the Texans have ever been.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Lord, now I know why Cal keeps his mouth shut. "tear in my eye" really? He sounds like a possible 3rd member to the Beavis and Butthead team. Cletus moniker was spot on @steelbtexan
Watching this now. I've never heard Cal speak before. He sounds like one of my relatives in Splendora. Maybe a fun guy to have a beer with, but not be running an NFL team.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watching this now. I've never heard Cal speak before. He sounds like one of my relatives in Splendora. Maybe a fun guy to have a beer with, but not be running an NFL team.
I doubt we hear much from Cal going forward. I'd expect Caserio to be his point man from this point on. I wouldn't blame him for fading into the background after those questions, tbh.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I doubt we hear much from Cal going forward. I'd expect Caserio to be his point man from this point on. I wouldn't blame him for fading into the background after those questions, tbh.
I was kind of surprised. He actually comes off as a pretty good guy. Someone that you wouldn't mind as having as a neighbor, but again, not running an NFL franchise. It reminds me of when I had some classes in Austin with a former body guard of GW Bush. He said the same thing. "W is great to hang out with, drink beer with, etc, however you don't want him running the country". :)

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

amazing80

Hall of Fame
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Houston Texans owner Cal McNair says the Texans&#39; vision for their program is &quot;we&#39;re gonna build a wall.&quot;<br><br>Could a man be less in touch with the world.</p>&mdash; Pat Leonard (@PLeonardNYDN) <a href=" ">January 8, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:hankpalm:
I got a chuckle from that. Not a foundation, or a house....he said a wall lmao

badboy

Hall of Fame

OMG!! a Hookem sighting! Welcome back to your MB. Any chance Jags will trade their first four picks for Watson and Tunsil as they also have the cap pace? Nah, I didn't think so. Depending on who the Jags get as coach I may begin to follow them also.