Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Burnt toast

Joe Texan

Inducted 04
It was announced last night that P-burnt is going to be a Texan again. Am I wrong or did the Raiders celebrate when we dove into the the big black hole and came out with one of the worst corners in football to replace one of the best corners? I talked with 610 radio and asked what position he would play?
I suggested Fire Starter as he is the master at getting Burnt. Somebody try to convince me he is actually worth a jock strap in trade please.

For those of you less educated I am talking bout Phillip Bucannon AKA Showtime AKA No Time

Maybe he will get a spark and start playing up to his potential. Hopefully Robinson knocks some sense into him in the offseason. The guy has a lot of potential, it just seems like he is lazy on the field.

Joe Texan said:
It was announced last night that P-burnt is going to be a Texan again. Am I wrong or did the Raiders celebrate when we dove into the the big black hole and came out with one of the worst corners in football to replace one of the best corners? I talked with 610 radio and asked what position he would play?
I suggested Fire Starter as he is the master at getting Burnt. Somebody try to convince me he is actually worth a jock strap in trade please.

For those of you less educated I am talking bout Phillip Bucannon AKA Showtime AKA No Time
He gets one more free pass due to him being AJ's best friend and all. I'm not saying that is the real reason, just that I see AJ going to bat for him and saying things like :"give 'em one more chance" and "he's better than that" and etc......

Besides Joe, what's the difference. We seem to be in the business of keeping or acquiring poor talent (T. Couch??). We're turning into the Rd 1 Flameouts Refuge of Drafts Past.

Maybe if we're lucky while Casserly is sleeping he will get a visit from Vince Lombardi (the Ghost of Drafts/Trades Past), then a visit from Hank Stram (the Ghost of Drafts/Trades Present), and then a visit from himself in the future in the year 2010 (the Ghost of Drafts/Trades Future).

I believe he is another victum of the ineptness of the previous coaching staff and the schemes they were employing. Even DROB didn't look that good last year. The Raiders coaching staff was not exactly the best in the world either. This is a different year and I think everyone is going to be surprised and I would not write off any player based on the previous coaching staff and the positions they placed the players in. They played schemes and called plays that were dommed to failure. Relax and let the new coaching staff show you what the game is really all about.

Ibar_Harry said:
I believe he is another victum of the ineptness of the previous coaching staff and the schemes they were employing. Even DROB didn't look that good last year. The Raiders coaching staff was not exactly the best in the world either. This is a different year and I think everyone is going to be surprised and I would not write off any player based on the previous coaching staff and the positions they placed the players in. They played schemes and called plays that were dommed to failure. Relax and let the new coaching staff show you what the game is really all about.

Can you teach tackling this late in someone's career? The guy is a flat out pathetic tackler and I have no confidence in him.

I agree with him getting 1 more year, however we still need to pick up another CB as a safty net. His cap number is really small and with a new staff and mentality he could be good.

wags said:
Can you teach tackling this late in someone's career? The guy is a flat out pathetic tackler and I have no confidence in him.

As a matter of fact, yes tackling can be taught, but speed can not. Hands can not be taught, but you can help people to learn how to do a better job of caching the ball. PBUC has a lot of physicall assets that have never been utilized. I think he could possibly be one of the real surprises next year. As I have stated, I don't believe anyone has a true idea of how bad the previous coaching staff was. Relax and let it happen.

Ibar_Harry said:
As a matter of fact, yes tackling can be taught, but speed can not. Hands can not be taught, but you can help people to learn how to do a better job of caching the ball. PBUC has a lot of physicall assets that have never been utilized. I think he could possibly be one of the real surprises next year. As I have stated, I don't believe anyone has a true idea of how bad the previous coaching staff was. Relax and let it happen.

Fundamental tackling can be taught, but usually once a pansy always a pansy. He's going to have to change that for himself, not with coaching.

ledzeppelin269 said:
Fundamental tackling can be taught, but usually once a pansy always a pansy. He's going to have to change that for himself, not with coaching.

Tackling is also a result of enthusiasm for the game. Who was enthusiastic last year. I will say, not even DROB. Wait and see what happens. Like I said, don't write anyone off, particularly when they obviously have above average physical skills.

wags said:

I would have agreed with you early on in the season when he let someone walk into the endzone without touching him. Now I am not so sure, I saw him deliver a crazy tackle one time that left me with my mouth open. True the technique was horrible he threw his body at him like a missile and didn't wrap up or anything but the fact that he made that tackle impressed me. Learning tackling techniques and hanging out with D-rob will have a positive influence on him I'm sure, but the guy shouldn't be written off just yet.

I think its more of having the mentality of a loser . I'm not sure a pansy could have made it to the NFL .

A losers point of view would be why tackle him their going to score anyway . That looked like PBuch and thats more disturbing than being a pansy .

After reading all the posts in this thread it made me think of putting buchanon at WR. I dont know how good his hands are but I do know he is good with the ball in his hands. Im sure most of you would say that its a bad idea and your probably right but why not give him a chance in training camp and see what he can do.

When you consider his salary and his physical potential, keeping him is the right thing to do. He could easily still be a bust, but it's worth taking another look at.

Vinny said:
He has a small salary. No surprise he is coming back.

Agreed. There is little risk to keeping P-buc. And if he doesn't look good in pre-season, there's nothing that says we have to play him. But I think like most of the team, he will look a lot better under new coaching.

#21 didn't tackle worth a damn...but he was one of the best corners in his prime..

PBuc can't tackle (lack of stones), can't cover (lack of smarts)

We turn him into a wedge buster on kickoffs. He doesn't hit there, he doesn't play at all.

Big B Texan Fan said:
Isn't he from the same draft class as Carr.
Oh yeah, we're giving those guys a free pass.

this has nothing to do with Carr

you're obsession has made you ignorant to the Texans...there are 52 other players dressed on gameday that don't play QB

ledzeppelin269 said:

Often true. But, after getting demoted last year his tackling dramatically improved--I didn't say became great or even solid, but it was a lot better (granted he had a long way to go). Then he got injured. The guy is dirt cheap and is absolutely someone to watch to see what the new staff can do with.

Big B Texan Fan said:
Oh yeah, we're giving those guys a free pass.

How about you stop trolling trying to interject a cruddy Carr coment into every discussion? Everyone on the MB is well aware of your dislike for him and you are free to keep expressing it in topical threads but this kind of thing is useless and juvenile.

Big B Texan Fan said:

Yeah, he was like 5th overall that year.

The only advantage to having him is that he's cheap (in the last year of his rookie deal @ 800k base) and that it's his contract year -- meaning, if he wants to keep on bling'n it he needs to start bring'n it...

aj. said:

The only advantage to having him is that he's cheap (in the last year of his rookie deal @ 800k base) and that it's his contract year -- meaning, if he wants to keep on bling'n it he needs to start bring'n it...
Agreed, sort of

aj. said:

Jammer was 5th, Pbuc 17th overall. Not that it matters.

Yeah, I just went back and double checked that after I wrote it. Not sure why I had 5th in my head for him. Oh well...

hey it doesn't matter...at this point faggins is getting paid more than him so who cares if he stays...he has one more chance to prove something to us...and i wouldn't be surprised if casserly drafted another corner on day one...i'm hoping for cedric griffin...atleast we know he'll tackle

Just a hunch but I bet we don't draft a CB until Day 2. Aside from the first pick debate, you could probably develop a pretty good case for why the Texans should take OL, TE, LB, DE, and WR all ahead of CB. Free agency should tell us more about what direction the draft will take.

Hulk75 said:
Well I think he can be good but like Hoke saud he picked up a lot of bad habbits in Oakland. I think it is all in his head and worries about too much while he is out there.
Just Play, dont think "too" much.

You could say that about every player on that defense. That was the biggest knock on the Fangio system going all the way back to Indy, i.e., it required too much thinking/interpreting before reacting.

Despite my tackling comment, I don't have any objection to keeping him around here. Like everyone has said he's cheap and with a more aggressive gameplan there should be less pressure on the CBs. Also if we're coming out of a cover 2 shell much of the time, he might be able to play less conservative himself and go after the ball a little more.

ledzeppelin269 said:
... with a more aggressive gameplan there should be less pressure on the CBs. ..

It could turn out to be just the opposite. Certain pressure schemes leave the corners hanging badly at times. Smith was already quoted as saying we're going to give up some big plays but we're going to make a lot of big plays too.. (or something to that effect).

Vinny said:

Totally agree. With what little he costs there is no point in releasing him now in the last year of his contract when he can be cut loose for free next year. He gets one last shot to prove himself.

Ibar_Harry said:

Come on dude, PBuc didn't do anything with the Texans last year that he hadn't done since coming into the league, oh, except actually having one of his coverage gambles payoff and making a positive play. That was his whole MO before he ever put on a Texans jersey. Not having the desire (balls) to hit people is personal problem. I know we were bad last year, but you can't blame the staff for everything.

Vinny said:

Exactly what I was thinking. His salary is like $800,000 or something this year and our dc said we are going to be running the cover 2 defense. Pburnt should do better in a cover 2.

bckey said:
Exactly what I was thinking. His salary is like $800,000 or something this year and our dc said we are going to be running the cover 2 defense. Pburnt should do better in a cover 2.
Just curious, what makes you think he'll do better in a cover 2?

He is cheap to keep but I pray he does not start or it will be a long season. Someone mentioned that they watched tape and the other QBs looked right at him from the snap and threw his way. I saw it all season at the game. Explain to me why we think that Hoke is such a good coach. Outside of DRob and Glenn our Corners and Safeties have pretty much stunk since day one.

Tayton said:
He is cheap to keep but I pray he does not start or it will be a long season. Someone mentioned that they watched tape and the other QBs looked right at him from the snap and threw his way. I saw it all season at the game. Explain to me why we think that Hoke is such a good coach. Outside of DRob and Glenn our Corners and Safeties have pretty much stunk since day one.

I also have never been a fan of Hoke. He had some naturally gifted CB's who were very sucessfull their first year or two. Everyone else who was average, got worse as the years progressed.

Someone said it earlier in the thread.....put him in at WR. Let him play a slot type who can be an outlet (seeing as we have no TE). If he is so prime time, give him the stinking ball. If nothing else he won't have to sissy slap tackle as a DB.

ok ok, I know that I said in previous posts that all players deserver a clean slate, what I meant to say was the everyone deserves a clean slate...except Phillip Buchanon. People, Buchanon was the worst LCB in the league last year. He's not going to magically change over night. You can't teach a player the ole', it just comes naturally for him.

And I really differ on the take that CB is not ranked up there as an iimportance like TE, OL etc.... We lost our starting CB and our nickel CB and replaced that with a promotion of a dime back to starting CB. Dunta is good, but he is not at this point on the same level at tier 1 CB's. We need one, especially if we are going to be more aggressive.

Keldar said:
Someone said it earlier in the thread.....put him in at WR. Let him play a slot type who can be an outlet (seeing as we have no TE). If he is so prime time, give him the stinking ball. If nothing else he won't have to sissy slap tackle as a DB.

That is too funny. I can't say I agree with the receiver deal, but for sure P.B. looked to me like he was afraid of contact. It could've been because of his injury he had though. He was also caught out of position in pass coverage often as if he lost some quick reaction to the ball. If we keep him, oh well cause if he start acting up again I'm pretty sure it won't take as long as it did last year for him to lose PT.:goodbad:

We could give him shock treatment and have him play QB for a while. :rolleyes:

"If you don't hit somebody, I'm gonna make you play quarterback!!!"

infantrycak said:
Often true. But, after getting demoted last year his tackling dramatically improved--I didn't say became great or even solid, but it was a lot better (granted he had a long way to go). Then he got injured. The guy is dirt cheap and is absolutely someone to watch to see what the new staff can do with.

The play with p-burnt in the hole with the Steelerrs Willie Parker was justabout the worst defensive play I've ever seen by a player on any level. TBS, if the cap hit is small and it makes AJ happy, what the heck. We've got enough drift wood on this team already. One more piece ain't gonna hurt much more.

I say that P-Buch comes back with a vengence this year. Hey, I can hope. I say that P-Buch is rejuvinated by the new coaches, he realizes that he won't last in the NFL if he doesn't step it up and play at the calibur at which he is expected. Besides all that, P-Buch is more of a man-to-man DB, not zone. Capers and Co. never did a good job to playing towards players strengths, always playing away from them.

aj. said:
He's cheap to keep around now with what is a modest cap hit for the upcoming season, but wow - that 2 & 3 we gave up last year were killers !
But now that we got him, lets hope, just hope, that's there is something to redeem. Dang, we got a ton invested in that guy !

IMO, alot of our DB troubles came from the obvious: Zero pass-rush. I'm all for puttin him at reciever IN TC & lettin DRob & the other DBs tee off on him over the middle. Just kinda sit back & let him catch the ball, then lay the wood to him ala Eagles vs our R&S on MNF some years ago. (I KNOW some of you old Oiler fans remember that game) That'll either make or break him seein how the other half lives. After he got benched last year I think he kinda caught another gear when he finally came back to the lineup & he's cheap ... maybe ya CAN teach an old dog new tricks (or just teach him not to lay one on the turf).

stevo3883 said:
thats like saying a Geo Prizm is more of a race car than an off-road vehicle.

Hahaha...no but I'm serious. When you look at most of P-Buch's INTs, they came off of man-to-man coverage. Of course, the D was getting pressure on the QB too, which didn't hurt P-Buch's chances at getting those INTs. Look, he didn't play good this year either, but no one else played that good. Everybody's boy, D-Rob, didn't have that great of a year. Most INTs are achieved due to pressure on the QB. Someone care to tell me how many sacks we got this year?

bigTEXan8 said:
Hahaha...no but I'm serious. When you look at most of P-Buch's INTs, they came off of man-to-man coverage. Of course, the D was getting pressure on the QB too, which didn't hurt P-Buch's chances at getting those INTs. Look, he didn't play good this year either, but no one else played that good. Everybody's boy, D-Rob, didn't have that great of a year. Most INTs are achieved due to pressure on the QB. Someone care to tell me how many sacks we got this year?

being a corner isnt all about ints. the only reason buchanon is semi-interesting is his supposed "big play ability". hes pretty much useless in every other facet of the game, and when he's useless in the big play portion too, hes just plain useless and has no reason to be earning a salary.

im sorry, but all of you that say hes cheap, thats 850,000 we could spend on a player that actually will contribute to the team.

Back