Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Building the Texans

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone

'Building the Texans' debuts today, and it's giving a glimpse at behind-the-scenes work going on to prepare for the 2021 NFL regular season.

Episodes can be seen on HoustonTexans.com, the Houston Texans mobile app and the Houston Texans YouTube channel.
this was my reply to the Texans

Texans should@rename the hype video ‘Resurrecting the Texans’ with Jon Snow in a Texans jersey laying lifeless on a table & Jack Easterby standing over him repeatedly chanting 1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish until Jon snow is resurrected. Spoiler alert.

that’s funny right there, I laugh at that all the time!!

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
this was my reply to the Texans

Texans should@rename the hype video ‘Resurrecting the Texans’ with Jon Snow in a Texans jersey laying lifeless on a table & Jack Easterby standing over him repeatedly chanting 1 fish 2 fish red fish blue fish until Jon snow is resurrected. Spoiler alert.

that’s funny right there, I laugh at that all the time!!
Careful....I think these rhymes are offensive by today's softer society.

Attachments

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I have no desire to see any propaganda coming out of Kirby. Nothing they say can be trusted in any sort of way.

I will take the opportunity to voice my opinion on their YouTube page, though. At least until they decide to turn the comments off. lol

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I have no desire to see any propaganda coming out of Kirby. Nothing they say can be trusted in any sort of way.

I will take the opportunity to voice my opinion on their YouTube page, though. At least until they decide to turn the comments off. lol
See that just shows how inexperienced and amateurish they are. Smart, experienced teams turn comments off before posting a video.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Somebody please take one for the forum and subject yourself to watching it and report back to us.

Marc Vandermeer seems like a really nice guy, but I just can't hear his voice right now. Just. . .no. :nolisten:
Surprising to nobody I took you up on that.

First minute or two is just about them hiring Caserio and then the next minute or two is Caserio talking about why they hired Culley. After that its a "Journey of David Culley to a HC job" thing. You can't help but like the guy, and yeah you get the impression he is just happy to be here and he talked about how he's waited a long time. They were smart enough to hammer home the point of him being in the NFL 27 years and some of the big name coaches he's worked with. I will say its almost like they went out and found the most opposite personality to OB as they possibly could. I mean you almost can't believe these two share the same planet much less the same job.

Overall it was what we all thought it would be, a fluff piece with no real depth. Good for a chuckle and Culley will make you smile.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
Somebody please take one for the forum and subject yourself to watching it and report back to us.

Marc Vandermeer seems like a really nice guy, but I just can't hear his voice right now. Just. . .no. :nolisten:
I like listening to mark vandee speak about sports and music but not the Texans. Sorry but he’s one of them
Meaning he is not objective. Not his fault, you can’t bite the hand that feeds.

Last edited:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Gotta say, their DGAF game is about as strong as there is. Too bad there's not a SB for that.

On another note, I'm seeing where people's position on the season ticket wait list is literally being cut in half in a lot of cases. Biggest jumps they've ever seen.
True but according to this article that’s an NFL wide thing.

No doubt going 4-12 played it’s part in that but when you factor in covid, limited attendance allowed and down turn in the economy you have a perfect storm all the way around.

True but according to this article that’s an NFL wide thing.

No doubt going 4-12 played it’s part in that but when you factor in covid, limited attendance allowed and down turn in the economy you have a perfect storm all the way around.
and an ownership and leadership structure that is toxic to many ticket holders and the larger fanbase -while losing Watt and likely Watson on top of it. The marketing and sales teams will have their hands full. you are financially
better off just going to Stub Hub for any games you’d like to see because there will be a less than enthusiastic re-sell market.

TripleTap

Dead Wood
Why don't we just say the Texans are the worst franchise in the NFL and let go at that?

Like, when was the last time you had any hope of a decent Houston NFL team?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why don't we just say the Texans are the worst franchise in the NFL and let go at that?

Like, when was the last time you had any hope of a decent Houston NFL team?
Bingo. Low expectations (or none at all) will be required as Texans fans for the foreseeable future.

At this point, I fully expect many seasons of suck with Cal McNair, the idiot savant, as the person in charge.

My Texans gear is packed up for the long storage. Takes up a lot of room, too. :thud:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You guys are taking this way too serious. I’m all in on this team & not even gonna fake like I’m disgruntled. As I’ve said, I know where I’ll be come the start of TC. Do I like the current state of the team, No. but I like both of the guys brought in to right the ship. I like the idea of being the underdog. I like the perceived direction the team is headed.

At this point, I’m all ears for what these new guys have to say.

Last edited:

Dejaview

All Pro
You guys are taking this way too serious. I’m all in on this team & not even gonna fake my like I’m disgruntled. As I’ve said, I know where I’ll be come the start of TC. Do I like the current state of the team, No. but I like both of the guys brought in to right the ship. I like the idea of being the underdog. I like the perceived direction the team is headed.

At this point, I’m all ears for what these new guys have to say.
yep non stop complaining is bad for the immune system. Doesn’t take a lot to see many rational choices for GM and the coaching staff. I find this stage of rebuilding the staff and team interesting at least. And I know, I know. This team sux, the McNairs are losers, we’re a dumpster fire etc. I got it one million complaints ago, lol.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
yep non stop complaining is bad for the immune system.
people will gloss over this statement as you being a sunshine pumper or whatever but there’s real science behind it. the brain for numerous reasons is just wired to lock in on the negative and that can be detrimental to your health in a lot of ways. Gotta work to stay positive and overcome your negative bias.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I always respect y'all's perspectives. But, I think you are taking some of us too seriously. lol ;)

At this point, nobody is taking the Texans seriously, including a massive part of the fan base. More and more people, including many diehards that I've chatted with for may years, are simply losing interest.

For instance: I signed up to the season ticket waiting list to see how long it would take to call me. They called by the end of the week. That tells me that the much heralded (and advertised) waiting list is not so long anymore. Folks are not going to spend their hard earned money on this product. That, of course, will change when they starting winning. But with Cal in charge, that could be a while.

I'm not selling/burning/giving away any of my own gear (of which I have accumulated way too much over the years). I'll still be paying attention, guess I'm stupid that way lol, but I won't be a walking billboard for the franchise.

But, good luck with your hope. I'm just looking to be entertained by the local dysfunction and greater NFL in general. :popcorn:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I always respect y'all's perspectives. But, I think you are taking some of us too seriously. lol ;)

At this point, nobody is taking the Texans seriously, including a massive part of the fan base. More and more people, including many diehards that I've chatted with for may years, are simply losing interest.

For instance: I signed up to the season ticket waiting list to see how long it would take to call me. They called by the end of the week. That tells me that the much heralded (and advertised) waiting list is not so long anymore. Folks are not going to spend their hard earned money on this product. That, of course, will change when they starting winning. But with Cal in charge, that could be a while.

I'm not selling/burning/giving away any of my own gear (of which I have accumulated way too much over the years). I'll still be paying attention, guess I'm stupid that way lol, but I won't be a walking billboard for the franchise.

But, good luck with your hope. I'm just looking to be entertained by the local dysfunction and greater NFL in general. :popcorn:
I agree with you DB but for some on here, and most of us full time posters know who they are, they are being very serious in how much they hate the team and pretty much everything it does. Tone doesn't carry over text so some times it can be very hard to tell who's playing and who truly is convinced that the sky is falling and we're all standing under it. Add to that we seemed to have gotten a lot of new people out of no where who only seem to have shown up to tell us how much everything sucks and the negativity around here has started to out weight anything even remotely positive. I mean we fire OB and rather than celebrating many almost immediately pivoted to talking about the evils of Easterby. To the point some almost seem to be sorry OB was gone and mad "Easterby got him fired". I would have thought that would be cause to build statues of the guy. I will grant you it is hard to get excited when just as you have any kind of hope your franchise QB, that supposedly you locked down like a good little team, turns around and wants traded before the ink is dry but what can you do.

Some of us are fascinated and entertained by watching the sausage being made and others just want breakfast. Me I find the process interesting but it does get old hearing most everyone else screaming for their breakfast and how much the chef sucks because its not out yet.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

I just think it’s “in vogue” to complain about the Texans for a lot of people, fans included. I mean right now theres a fan from the NY Jets on this MB talking smack about the Texans....think about that. The NY Jets bro. a team that hasn’t finish above .500 and Been to the playoffs since Chad Pennington like 7-8 years ago.

I just don’t feed into it. Every league has to have a whipping boy every year & the Texans are this year’s candidate. The next scandal will take them off the hook.

Dejaview

All Pro
people will gloss over this statement as you being a sunshine pumper or whatever but there’s real science behind it. the brain for numerous reasons is just wired to lock in on the negative and that can be detrimental to your health in a lot of ways. Gotta work to stay positive and overcome your negative bias.
Yep. Einstein said failure is just success in progress. hope and perseverance are positive force fields and are often found in the most successful people. Just look at many of our wounded warriors.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I agree with you DB but for some on here, and most of us full time posters know who they are, they are being very serious in how much they hate the team and pretty much everything it does. Tone doesn't carry over text so some times it can be very hard to tell who's playing and who truly is convinced that the sky is falling and we're all standing under it. Add to that we seemed to have gotten a lot of new people out of no where who only seem to have shown up to tell us how much everything sucks and the negativity around here has started to out weight anything even remotely positive. I mean we fire OB and rather than celebrating many almost immediately pivoted to talking about the evils of Easterby. To the point some almost seem to be sorry OB was gone and mad "Easterby got him fired". I would have thought that would be cause to build statues of the guy. I will grant you it is hard to get excited when just as you have any kind of hope your franchise QB, that supposedly you locked down like a good little team, turns around and wants traded before the ink is dry but what can you do.

Some of us are fascinated and entertained by watching the sausage being made and others just want breakfast. Me I find the process interesting but it does get old hearing most everyone else screaming for their breakfast and how much the chef sucks because its not out yet.
Yeah, I think social media amplifies things. We post our thoughts on this page, might even be a few minutes of our time, but then it sits there for an eternity representing our thoughts in that small moment of time.

I learned many years ago about the utter pointlessness of 'flame wars' and really just avoid all of that since then.

I'm a sarcastic sort of guy, and sarcasm is often hard to convey in written form. Which is why I try to keep it obviously light-hearted, and even add visual clues to help reveal my own intent.

I enjoy chatting with y'all over the years, but even then, I took a couple of years off, just stopping by now and then. My interest in this franchise at this point comes from just liking pro football in general and the on-going virtual (and occasionally real world) friendships that I've made in this forum.

I like watching the being sausage made. But that doesn't mean I'm going to eat it. Gives me indigestion & heartburn, the same as the Texans 2020 season! lol ;)

I just think it’s “in vogue” to complain about the Texans for a lot of people, fans included. I mean right now theres a fan from the NY Jets on this MB talking smack about the Texans....think about that. The NY Jets bro. a team that hasn’t finish above .500 and Been to the playoffs since Chad Pennington like 7-8 years ago.

I just don’t feed into it. Every league has to have a whipping boy every year & the Texans are this year’s candidate. The next scandal will take them off the hook.
I hear ya', man. I've never been an 'in vogue' person. I've been in this forum since 2004, through the ups and downs of this franchise, so whatever the national media wants to say, I don't care much for it.

The Texans will probably have two kinds of fans in the near future: those that are diehard football fans (majority of this board) that can't help themselves but pay attention, and then the casual fans that don't watch when they suck. And out of those diehards, I think most of us realize that we are going to have to embrace the suck for a while. It is part of an inevitable cycle for some teams.

That said, there is a certain bush league vibe about Cal McNair that will be interesting to see what happens over the next few years. I'll be here with most of y'all, for better or for worse.

Yep. Einstein said failure is just success in progress. hope and perseverance are positive force fields and are often found in the most successful people. Just look at many of our wounded warriors.
Great quote. I guess where I'd differ from Einstein's point is that we have absolutely no control over the process and results. We are merely, always & forever, spectators. I doubt that dude ever cared about the outcome of any sporting event in his entire life.

It does not matter how much we believe in, ridicule, have faith, lose faith, etc., about this franchise. Absolutely nothing we do, or will do, will even make a ripple on the Texans pond.

This franchise is no different - for me, at least - than being a fan of Star Wars or Metallica (or pick your entertainment). It's merely an entertainment diversion. Maybe those things are more to other people, and I get that. I used to be young(er) and would allow my emotions to be influenced by the outcome of Oilers games. At least until 35-3 taught me a valuable life lesson. I got pissed when Metallica released an album I didn't like. Never cared for the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi. Ahhh, the folly of youth! lol

But not so much these days. It's just a fun ride, but that's all it is. Outside of the forum and a few YouTube channels, I don't spend much time thinking about the Houston Texans.

So my own bellyaching, critical analysis, ridicule, and even excitement, on these pages should not be indicative of my mental being in the real world. I don't let any of this stuff be anything more to me than a diversion, something to entertain my free time, and really nothing more to it than that. I'd honestly tell anyone to really evaluate their lives if any of this stuff has any deeper meaning to them than what it really is in the end: just entertainment.

Dejaview

All Pro
Great quote. I guess where I'd differ from Einstein's point is that we have absolutely no control over the process and results. We are merely, always & forever, spectators. I doubt that dude ever cared about the outcome of any sporting event in his entire life.
but we can control how we react to circumstances. Too many negative reactions become character then we become spectators even to our own thoughts and actions. Life is just a joke then. You see it in the drug culture.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
well how does building the texans mean keeping David johnson..???? a older vet back that cost like 9 mill

i dont get it if your going to tank wouldnt it be better to have a JAG young RB that cost like 200k ..?????

what even the point to Run DJ into the ground for the next two years and then he retires or gets cut ..????

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
well how does building the texans mean keeping David johnson..???? a older vet back that cost like 9 mill

i dont get it if your going to tank wouldnt it be better to have a JAG young RB that cost like 200k ..?????

what even the point to Run DJ into the ground for the next two years and then he retires or gets cut ..????
If it does not make sense to you or anybody else on this planet, then rest assured it will make perfect sense to the Texans.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Thank the Lord it's just my brain locking into the negative! I was allowing other to convince me that it was Jack easterby causing all the negative.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I stopped buying gear after Kuniak was let go. Mainly because they didn't fire RS when they fired Kubiak.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I’ve never really bought gear..a few caps back in the day, some coasters, a banner for the man cave. That’s all I’ve bought myself. Back in 2015 my then wife got me a signed JJ Watt jersey for Christmas that I got framed...shits been sitting in a closet the last 4 years cause I no longer have a place to hang it. That’s all the gear I’ve got in 20 years watching this team.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Keep my money.....

...... give me my wasted years, since 2002.

All Ive ever asked is a worthwhile return of my investment of time.

I have never demanded Superbowl.
I have never demanded Conference Title
I have never demanded Division Title
All I ever wanted was competent, competitive football.

A team that looks like it belongs in the NFL, that teams dont circle on their calendar like I circle a calendar on my job when Im taking vacation, excited for the promise of the days.

Even when my team had a "window" I was more timid about our next opponent than I would have been if the conductor of the train that was constantly claimed to "be on the right track" were far more competent than a 7 year old running down the street screaming "Chooo choo!".

I know Im the fool that continued to watch this team ever hoping they would achieve competence at any level approaching consistency.

..... I know I wont see a dime returned, nor can I return to an age approaching my mid 20s.......... but I can demand they stop wasting my time..... that us where my fandom is. I have no team, no loyalty but Texans....... but even I am finding it hard to give two craps at this point.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
but we can control how we react to circumstances. Too many negative reactions become character then we become spectators even to our own thoughts and actions. Life is just a joke then. You see it in the drug culture.
Those are very nice platitudes, but honestly a little too deep for my perspective as pertains to a spectator sport. But hey, you do you. :)

I agree with your thoughts as they relate to life in general. I'd caution anyone against being a true pessimist in life simply because it can wear you down mentally and physically. Life loses purpose if there is no hope and no reason to live it.

I just don't take sitting on my ass watching a football game as anything deeper than a simple diversion to pass the time. I probably get more emotional playing video games, which is to say not much at all. I get bored easily. I can barely even sit through a 3 hour game these days without losing my attention and finding something else to do.

Ultimately, I'd advise anyone to find the humor in all of it. Laughter is good for the soul. Keep it light hearted and don't take any of this 'sports fan' stuff too seriously (or don't take it serious at all). Life is hard enough without creating more drama from nothing.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I stopped buying gear after Kuniak was let go. Mainly because they didn't fire RS when they fired Kubiak.
Most of my gear was given to me as gifts. When we were part of a tailgating group for 8 seasons, it seemed like every Christmas, birthday, and Father's Day was Texans stuff.

I did buy a hard hat that I've worn to every game that I've attended, and a custom jersey. Maybe a few flags for our tailgating crew (gotta' have some flair! lol). But overall, 90% of my gear has been gifts, and I was shocked how much I had when I packed it up recently. Maybe I'll have a reason to bring it out someday, but I expect that day to be a long time from now, all things considered.

The two things I did not pack up is a big Texans stained glass logo that I made and a hoodie that I've had since 2002 (it's crusty, but comfortable as heck!).

Dejaview

All Pro
Was good to see Blacklock yesterday coming out with praise for Culley. Sounds like he’s onboard for dedicating himself to get better. He and Greenard will Almost be like new draft picks after a full TC this year.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Blacklock is a 3 tech. So you put a bigger, interior tackle next to him who takes a man and a half.
He played the nose in college as well as other spots. If you tell me Alofuhai can handle the nose I am okay with Blacklock remaining at the end.

The latter played at 330 freshman year IIRC so he can handle the weight if needed. TDN before draft said "has power and is a bully when pushing the pocket..".

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
He played the nose in college as well as other spots. If you tell me Alofuhai can handle the nose I am okay with Blacklock remaining at the end.

The latter played at 330 freshman year IIRC so he can handle the weight if needed. TDN before draft said "has power and is a bully when pushing the pocket..".
Naturally, he's more of a Gerald McCoy body type. His quicks and slithering body work best for him. 330 is alot for him