Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Buchanan Changes Texans Draft

keyfro said:
i'd be happy just trading down to pick up another 3rd round...as long as we get either clayton, spears, or pollack...either one of those three guys would help us out

Yeah if I did'nt put that trade with Philly up it was going to be a trade with the Rams targeting one of those guy's.

Sarge,

I think we need a good DT more than any offensive player. I guess we still have four picks in rounds 4-7.

Even though it is my prediction that we trade up with Arizona to #8 and pick Derrick Johnson, my concern with trading up like that is it wipes out our whole first day in the draft, reducing it to one pick. I would be happy with trading up with Arizona to get Derrick Johnson, as I believe that this is currently the missing link for the Texans, assuming that the Defensive line stays healthy.

However, I remember last year. We traded away everything for Babin. I had planned to spend all day Saturday watching the draft, and then there was nothing to watch, at least as far as the Texans go. It would be greatly dissapointing to have most of the first day become moot for the Texans - AGAIN. I have been looking forward to watching the draft for a long time now, and seeing the Texans first day reduced to one pick would be somewhat of a letdown, at least from a personal entertainment perspective.

I'm thinking that Detroit might be a trading partner at #10. We could give them either our 2006 3rd or our current 4th.

MojoMan said:
However, I remember last year. We traded away everything for Babin. I had planned to spend all day Saturday watching the draft, and then there was nothing to watch, at least as far as the Texans go. It would be greatly dissapointing to have most of the first day become moot for the Texans - AGAIN. I have been looking forward to watching the draft for a long time now, and seeing the Texans first day reduced to one pick would be somewhat of a letdown, at least from a personal entertainment perspective.

more beerlover time :party:

canadiantexan said:
Now that we have traded our 2nd and 3rd for Phillip Buchanan I think we should trade up with a team who is looking to move up to select a specific player or address a team need. This way we would aquire multiple picks. Having said that I would like to see something like this:
Trade our 1st pick #13(1150) and our 4th pick #108(78) to the Eagles (Who would love to move up to select a WR ,Williams if he falls or Williamson) for the Eagles 1st pick #31(600), their 2nd pick #35(550) and their 3rd pick #95(120)

The points are close and Philly wants to trade up but if you think it's a little one sided then you could knock off our 4th and the Eagles 3rd. But if it were the trade above I would then take:

Round 1) #31 -David Baas-(G/C) he could play a little guard for us the first year and then in year two could take over for McKinny and start for 7-10 years.

Round2) #35 -One of the "tweeners" that fall to this spot- one of them is likely to fall to here with teams picking ahead looking elswhere so I say we grab one, if their gone take Crowder.

Round 3) #78 -Jerome Mathis-(WR) good speed and good hands, could be the guy to help Carr strech the feild for A.J (I also think Gaff will help do that more this year to)

Round3) #95 -Luis Castillo- If he falls and is still here because of his drug test at the combine then I say we jump all over it. If he's not there we still draft DL depth.

Well that's what I would like to see. I know the Matt jones fans are wondering why I did'nt take him when before I've said we should before, so the reason I did it is after the Buchanan trade I believe we are making a move to win this year and Matt Jones is a project. Also I know that a C/G is not a sexy 1st round pick but I believe that center and tight end our are weakest offensive positions. I did not pick TE because there are non worthy and it looks like we will see Jopparu do more than hold a clip board this year.

I agree with youon this completely. There is no way that we stay at 13. Any team between 15 and 24 seems like a good place to trade too even the philly would be a dream trade. I do think that Philly wants Mike Williams... they will have to seriously over pay to get him because Minnesota, Chicago and Philly possibliy even washington would love to have him since gardener is going to be traded. If we get the 31 if baas is there we take him i think. 35 i think we should OLB. Yes u can quote me on this no WR in 1st 2 rounds. I never thought i would say this. This trade does change alot. 78 we go WR. I think the `texans would have a very positive draft. We could also flip flop and take Brown or Gibson then just play peek which now looks like what they are going to do.

royce1054 said:
I agree with youon this completely. There is no way that we stay at 13. Any team between 15 and 24 seems like a good place to trade too even the philly would be a dream trade. I do think that Philly wants Mike Williams... they will have to seriously over pay to get him because Minnesota, Chicago and Philly possibliy even washington would love to have him since gardener is going to be traded.

Thats why I think if they dont get him they will over pay for Williamson.

If we get the 31 if baas is there we take him i think.

Him this year and a big OT next year when there will be good ones and D.C. will be a happy man.
35 i think we should OLB. Yes u can quote me on this no WR in 1st 2 rounds. I never thought i would say this. This trade does change alot. 78 we go WR. I think the `texans would have a very positive draft. We could also flip flop and take Brown or Gibson then just play peek which now looks like what they are going to do.

Certainly is an interesting turn of events is'nt it?

I think unless one of the 3 running backs, 3 top wide outs, or 2 top linebackers we should trade down and aquire more picks. I think those 8 are the ones we will target. If we trade down i see us moving somewhere between the 15 and 24 spot.

i dont think there is a way that we stay at 13 now. Unless Merriman or Johnson slips which i doubt both will if you add the trades that will happen.i believe there is a 99% chance we will trade down. That 1% is Johnson or Merriman

OK people I have seen alot of thoughts and some of them good some are ridiculous. It seems that with this trade we will trade down if T. Williamson falls to us so that we can pick up the EAgles first and two second rounders for our first and 4th the value would be there. After we make that trade then we take someone like Baas or Brown if he is available. After that our two second rounders we will take the best available LB prospect maybe a Daryl Blackstock or Odell Thurman. The next would be a high profile receiver like Reggie Brown or Matt Jones eventhough I think Jerome Mathis is gonna be a stud in this league just watch the tapes on him at the all-star game he is lightning. I have not seen someone this fast since darrell Green. Then in the third we grab Stanford Routt who is also lightning even though I would rather get him in the fourth and get CAstillo or a big DE to help our pathetic line. After that we all take a break and wait till sunday to see what CAss pulls out his *** as a sleeper.

It all depends on Williamson falling to us and wether the Eagles are willing to make a deal if they hav'nt made one by then but it could be a very much improved team as of Saturday.

canadiantexan said:
It all depends on Williamson falling to us and wether the Eagles are willing to make a deal if they hav'nt made one by then but it could be a very much improved team as of Saturday.

Well what i see is Minnesota will offer its #7 and #18 (i think) picks to Cleveland. Philly will offer 31,35, and a 3rd to make it much more prettier. I think Minnesota will win out on that deal. I heard a link from nflfans.com from the Redskins GM sayin they wont move from #9. I think that either Detriot or Texans will be the team that Philly deals with. Their is also Seattle who will trade Alexander and will be looking at either Benson, or WIlliams. KC might want to move up and get Pac-Man who seems to be sliding. Carolina might offer a trade so we dont offer the pick to STL so STL can take Barron. There is alot of what ifs here. Only time will tell but i think the only thing we do know Johnson & merriman will be gone so that almost makes it a 100% trade down to me.

royce1054 said:
. Only time will tell but i think the only thing we do know Johnson & merriman will be gone so that almost makes it a 100% trade down to me.

Agreed next year we trade lower and grab that "last piece of the puzzle"

canadiantexan said:
Agreed next year we trade lower and grab that "last piece of the puzzle"

Lets see what players are on the last year of their contract. Who are the higher paid players on that list. Who could be a cap casuality next year. I dont know that we are already at the last peice i think we are 2-3 years off from the "last Peice" but i like the optimisticness. I do however think with addtion on Buchannon we are a playoff team. I do think we can hang with the Indy's of the world. I think we have a serious chance at the the Division. We have address the defense minus a OLB and d-line depth other than that we need to improve the offense.

Unless someone significant falls to us(excluding Troy Williamson- trust me, just hear me out) we trade down. Reason I say excluding Williamson is because Philly might be willing to overpay for him, if he is the last Wr available out of the top 3. We trade #13 to Philly for #31 and #35. At #31 we take David Baas(will help O-line indefinently) Than at #35 we could take Roddy White. ( extremely fast wr, and good size)

DRIFTAWAY said:
Unless someone significant falls to us(excluding Troy Williamson- trust me, just hear me out) we trade down. Reason I say excluding Williamson is because Philly might be willing to overpay for him, if he is the last Wr available out of the top 3. We trade #13 to Philly for #31 and #35. At #31 we take David Baas(will help O-line indefinently) Than at #35 we could take Roddy White. ( extremely fast wr, and good size)

I only wish Roddy White would get past The Ravens at #20 (i am not sure of the pick exactly might be 21).

How exciting will that make the texans next yr?! Buchanon is a real exciting player to watch at times, D-Rob, Bigger/Faster Defense, than a more geled togethor offense, and Matt Jones.

well another thing we could do is trade the pick to the Rams. I am sure the Rams would love to take the chance on Barron instead of Barnes. We would only get a 3rd rounder. prob the #70 pick. Not as good as the Philly deal but this one is a little more realistic. Then we could go White at #19 then we wouldnt pick again til 70 and we could go ILB or OLB then at 78 OL

DRIFTAWAY said:
How exciting will that make the texans next yr?! Buchanon is a real exciting player to watch at times, D-Rob, Bigger/Faster Defense, than a more geled togethor offense, and Matt Jones.

I actually think with the addition of Buchannon we are a playoff team. Our 2ndary should be one of the best in the league. I think it will depend on our D-lline doing what we know they can and seeing the Texans LB core do what the Texans hope they can. I think our offense will be much improved with another year of experience.

royce1054 said:
well another thing we could do is trade the pick to the Rams. I am sure the Rams would love to take the chance on Barron instead of Barnes. We would only get a 3rd rounder. prob the #70 pick. Not as good as the Philly deal but this one is a little more realistic. Then we could go White at #19 then we wouldnt pick again til 70 and we could go ILB or OLB then at 78 OL

Why would the Rams move up to take Barron instead of hanging tight and getting Brown?

infantrycak said:
Why would the Rams move up to take Barron instead of hanging tight and getting Brown?

Well wouldnt that be an upgrade from Brown dont u think. I am sure they would like to have Barron instead of Brown. Do you think that its the other way around. I would think moving from the #2 OT to the #1 in the draft and move up 6 spots and give one of your 2 #3 would be a good price for them.

royce1054 said:
Well wouldnt that be an upgrade from Brown dont u think. I am sure they would like to have Barron instead of Brown. Do you think that its the other way around. I would think moving from the #2 OT to the #1 in the draft and move up 6 spots and give one of your 2 #3 would be a good price for them.

Well, except they really play two different positions. Barron has been and is projected to be a LT. Brown is a RT who might be able to play LT. The Rams have Pace on a brand new huge contract at LT. They lost Turley at RT. So the biggest tackle need is RT. Why pay extra to get a LT to come in and play what really is a different position when you can stand pat and probably get the top guy at RT?

Yeah but i dont see why he cant play the RT side. This might just be the older fashion thinking of me. But if you can have 2 shut down tackles but just have to switch him to the other side i dont see why he cant make that adjustment.

royce1054 said:
Yeah but i dont see why he cant play the RT side. This might just be the older fashion thinking of me. But if you can have 2 shut down tackles but just have to switch him to the other side i dont see why he cant make that adjustment.

But the question goes back to why do it? Maybe Barron can convert to RT (probably delaying his immediate impact) but why give up draft picks to make that move? I mean unless you have a top five pick you can almost always say there is someone better above. Just don't see Barron getting drafted to spend more than a year at RT--and on the Rams, it would virtually be a career.

The only way the Rams would even consider trading up to 13 would be if Barron got taken in the top 10 and they fear a team like Carolina or New Orleans would take Jammal Brown, but that's not likely to happen, so I think they'll stay at 19...

Well that was one i was thought was on the list because when i heard about the Philly deal i brought it up over here and was trying to see what people thought of it. It has really picked up but i think it is a trade that might not happen to me its kinda wishful thinking, I was thinking maybe KC would want to trade up.. maybe Seattle if a RB fails, Maybe the Bengals have their eye on DE or Davis and want to go after him, the last one i was thinking maybe Vikings want to trade up and make sure they get Thomas Davis.. that could be an interesting deal. I am sure there is atleast 1 or 2 more teams that want to move up and i just havent thought of it yet.

D-ReK said:
The only way the Rams would even consider trading up to 13 would be if Barron got taken in the top 10 and they fear a team like Carolina or New Orleans would take Jammal Brown, but that's not likely to happen, so I think they'll stay at 19...

Well yeah the chances of that happening bc of Lions having their OT taken last year. I have heard from a cowgirls fan that he believed they would go O-line in the 1st round. I just kind of blew it off and didnt listen to it but those are the only 2 teams that i even heard of an O-line that early.

well what about this... Lets say Tenneesee trades #6 pick to N.O. for the #16 and some other picks. THe saints take DJ

#14 the panthers would take Barron then the Titans i am sure would take a look at Brown.

i think we will get a linebacker now. probably ware. that should give us a stong defense. maybe get olineman in the 3rd and 4th round.

I agree on the defense thing. Its just we can get Ware at #13 he will be there. Dont you think that is kind of early for him though.

Everyone talks about trading, but if everyone wants to trade down, no one will be able to trade down. The most important part of trading down is finding someone to trade with, then comes the actual deal. Just my 2 cents worth.

jr0ck said:
wow, i've been loving the thought of this since it dawned on me a few days ago...i just have this feeling this fits the 'surprise! jason babin' mold all to well. i would love to gave a head hunting, wood laying TD blasting peyton, mcnair/volek, and leftwich in 2005!

and he could drop back into coverage if needed :heh: :hmmm:

if we traded down, I hope we could gain a 2nd back or at the very least a 3rd.

I wouldn't mind if we traded down and got Bass or if not him we worked something out to get Wilkerson in the 3rd.

I am really hoping we get a legit Center this year to groom.

Back