Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian hoyer to sign with Texans

Most of the MB was fine with Mallett being the starter. I was.

Bringing in Hoyer has thrown a giant monkey wrench in the works. He's too expensive to be a backup. And it indicates OB has little faith in Mallett.

All this move tells me is BOB likes Hoyer much more than Fitz. If Mallet is going to be our starter, we need a veteran backup as a contingency plan if Mallet totally bombs. I think he's playing it smart by not putting all of his faith on Mallet.

I'm having a brain fart.

FA starters lost:
Reed (ATL)
?
?

Cuts:
AJ
Myers

I don't know if lost yet or not, or if it's who he's talking about but Lewis, Pickett and Manning not resigned as of yet (yes I know Manning didn't start) also Akeem Dent (that should have)

So, you are upset with improved depth? The cost of a player is related to market value, not the opinion of the coach regarding the players ability.

Sorry, but we live with a salary cap. Hoyer's contract is too much for someone unless you intend that they start part of the year.

I'm having a brain fart.

FA starters lost:
Reed (ATL)
?
?

Cuts:
AJ
Myers

Picket and Lewis at this point.

All this move tells me is BOB likes Hoyer much more than Fitz. If Mallet is going to be our starter, we need a veteran backup as a contingency plan if Mallet totally bombs. I think he's playing it smart by not putting all of his faith on Mallet.

Sage Rosenfels was an adequate safety blanket and cost about a mil. I'd rather have a Sage/Keenum type backup and Bruce Carter for the same price as Hoyer.

I'm starting to believe that Hoyer may be the starter if OB doesn't like what he sees in Mallett while in TC.

If OB was confident in Mallett, then the cheap way to go about doing this would be to keep Keenum and Savage and have Mallett getting ready for the season.

I sure hope OB knows what he's doing.

Sage Rosenfels was an adequate safety blanket and cost about a mil. I'd rather have a Sage/Keenum type backup and Bruce Carter for the same price as Hoyer.

Fair argument, but I'd rather have Hoyer way more than Case. I think Hoyer can take us to the playoffs if the defense plays as well as it did last year. I don't think Case can.

Fair argument, but I'd rather have Hoyer way more than Case. I think Hoyer can take us to the playoffs if the defense plays as well as it did last year. I don't think Case can.

This and I'm a huge Case Keenum fan. Case is the backup QB I want to pay for. Hoyer will be the backup QB I want if I know I'm actually going to have to use him.

That's what I'm thinking. If Mallett wins the job and Hoyer has to play then I expect very little drop-off. I expect to see what happened last year when Mallett came in for Fitz initially. If that doesn't happen then it was money thrown away.

This and I'm a huge Case Keenum fan. Case is the backup QB I want to pay for. Hoyer will be the backup QB I want if I know I'm actually going to have to use him.

That's what I'm thinking. If Mallett wins the job and Hoyer has to play then I expect very little drop-off. I expect to see what happened last year when Mallett came in for Fitz initially. If that doesn't happen then it was money thrown away.

I think the point is that neither has the job yet. OB has faith in both to win it, but doesn't want to gift it to either. Hoyer's salary is dictated by the market and his experience. If Mallett ends up winning the job, Hoyer will probably get traded next offseason. I really don't see the downside of this. This is definitely a better QB situation than we had last offseason when we had 0 QB's who could be our QB of the future (Savage didn't count yet as a rookie) to now, when we have at least 2 who COULD turn out to be our QB of the future.

Can't just go to the QB store and get a franchise QB.

Someone made similar points earlier (might have been you). Just feels like this is obvious stuff.

I think the point is that neither has the job yet. OB has faith in both to win it, but doesn't want to gift it to either. Hoyer's salary is dictated by the market and his experience. If Mallett ends up winning the job, Hoyer will probably get traded next offseason. I really don't see the downside of this. This is definitely a better QB situation than we had last offseason when we had 0 QB's who could be our QB of the future (Savage didn't count yet as a rookie) to now, when we have at least 2 who COULD turn out to be our QB of the future.

Can't just go to the QB store and get a franchise QB.

Someone made similar points earlier (might have been you). Just feels like this is obvious stuff.

The downside of this is that everyone thought O'Brien rated Mallett as a great quarterback and the trusted O'Brien. Now O'Brien brings in Mallett and sees:

a) if they think Hoyer isn't very good, they no longer trust O'Brien's evaluation of quarterbacks.

b) if they still trust O'Brien, they see this as the possibility O'Brien doesn't think Mallett is franchise material.

Having two (or three) backup quality quarterbacks can be seen as good depth; it can also be seen as not having a starting quality quarterback.

The downside of this is that everyone thought O'Brien rated Mallett as a great quarterback and the trusted O'Brien. Now O'Brien brings in Mallett and sees:

a) if they think Hoyer isn't very good, they no longer trust O'Brien's evaluation of quarterbacks.

b) if they still trust O'Brien, they see this as the possibility O'Brien doesn't think Mallett is franchise material.

Having two (or three) backup quality quarterbacks can be seen as good depth; it can also be seen as not having a starting quality quarterback.

OB may rate Mallett very highly, but until he proves it on the field, nobody, including OB, knows if he's starting caliber material.

He may also rate Hoyer just as highly. Maybe he feels Hoyer hasn't been in the right situation yet and he can get the most out of him and develop him further.

Even a great QB like Kurt Warner went from being great at STL to being mediocre with the Giants (and whoever else), and then being great again with ARI.

Looks like OB is hedging his bets a little, and personally I'm fine with that.

Or it can be seen as telling Mallett no matter how good I think (or don't think) you are, I'm going to make you earn a starting role on this team. If your not good enough to do it, you need to be gone. If you're good enough, who cares what I think anyway.

Hoyer said he felt good about fitting into Houston's offense.

"I feel like I could go out there and call a play and run the offense today if I had to," Hoyer said Wednesday in his press appearance.

The foursome worked hours on end together in New England during the undefeated Patriots Super Bowl run in 2011.

“Those were some of the best times of my career,” Hoyer said in November. “Obviously, going to a Super Bowl, when you spend that much time in a room with each other and you’re meeting and going over film and stuff like that, it was enjoyable and I definitely miss it. It was a great group of guys between me, Ryan (Mallett), Tom (Brady), Billy (O’Brien) and obviously (George) Godsey, too. It was fun. That was a special year. We came up a little short at the end, but it was a special time for me.”
“Brian helped me out a lot when I got there,” Mallett said in November 2014. “He didn’t turn his shoulder to me or anything. That’s why I say he’s a good guy.”
“For me, nothing has ever been handed to me," Hoyer said. "I’m not asking for it to start now. I’ve dealt with a lot of competition throughout my entire career, so it’s not something that I shy away from. Obviously, I chose to come here knowing that Ryan is here. It will make both of us better. We have a good relationship so it will be good for the entire team to see two guys like us go out there and work hard and do whatever we can to help this team win.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-Mallett/47c98fd5-0c1e-4c3f-9435-4612650b2f5d

Geez, we signed two QBs to what amounts to one year prove-it deals for less money than most non-rookie QB rooms and the hue and cry is like we saddled ourselves with a beard for five years.
laugh-1.gif

Sorry, but we live with a salary cap. Hoyer's contract is too much for someone unless you intend that they start part of the year.

Picket and Lewis at this point.

The texans are investing $9 million at the QB position. That isn't too much. If the Texans were paying $20 million a year to a starter then you would have a point.

When you can get all $9 mil of QB on the field you'll have a point.

I'll go back to my point - hedging his bets. They don't have a QB yet, but they're paying $9MM to find out. Betting on 2 guys that have probably about a 50% chance each to be a QB that can make it.

When you can get all $9 mil of QB on the field you'll have a point.

Consider it a relatively cheap one year rental on one and a probable long term backup to the other.

If there was a better option for them this year, I don't see it. I think Hoyer is quite a bit better than Fitz, and I'll give Fitz props for last year... but I don't think he could match it again. Has he ever put together 2 not totally suck years in a row?

Consider it a relatively cheap one year rental on one and a probable long term backup to the other.

If there was a better option for them this year, I don't see it. I think Hoyer is quite a bit better than Fitz, and I'll give Fitz props for last year... but I don't think he could match it again. Has he ever put together 2 not totally suck years in a row?

Folks here's the deal: Billy knows hes "gotta kiss a lotta frogs before he finds that prince". OK so plain and simple, that's the process we are going thru at this time.

Remind me of a few times that has worked?

What's the alternative? Keep Fitz, knowing that he's NOT the long term solution? If they don't sign Hoyer, that is likely the only other option since Hoyer then goes to the Jets and they don't trade for Fitz.

All this, Oh, sh*t, OB has no faith in Mallett thinking if he's signing Hoyer, is pretty much a figment of our imagination. We assumed Mallett was the savior when OB got him, now we assume he has no faith in him because he signed Hoyer.

Just let it play out.

What's the alternative? Keep Fitz, knowing that he's NOT the long term solution? If they don't sign Hoyer, that is likely the only other option since Hoyer then goes to the Jets and they don't trade for Fitz.

All this, Oh, sh*t, OB has no faith in Mallett thinking if he's signing Hoyer, is pretty much a figment of our imagination. We assumed Mallett was the savior when OB got him, now we assume he has no faith in him because he signed Hoyer.

Just let it play out.

The "Mallett is great because OB brought him on board" is an equal figment of the imagination. He hasn't proven anything either.

I don't think Hoyer was signed to replace Fitz anyway. I think he was signed to start.

The "Mallett is great because OB brought him on board" is an equal figment of the imagination. He hasn't proven anything either.

I don't think Hoyer was signed to replace Fitz anyway. I think he was signed to start.

Yes. In reality, NOTHING changed. OB saw an opportunity to improve the team by introducing competition to the QB position. Things only changed because of our perception. Because we, as fans, don't know half the thinking that goes into making team decisions. We made Mallett to be the saviour while OB thought he just had potential.

So, depth isn't a priority for you... Got it.

Nope. It's the same priority for me as most HCs in the league - $1.5 mil or under for a backup. Anything more is someone who is more than depth, like Henne in Jax or Fitz here last year.

Here's my problem with that - it leaves out what could be done with the money. We're talking enough money to sign Moore or close to it. Or we're talking enough to up our offers to Carter, Moore, etc. and not let others get him. We've made runs at starters and are not getting them presumably being parsimonious and then we throw money at Hoyer like a 1 am Texan Bill sweetheart.

We aren't going to get 5 upgrade starters in the draft, actually not 5 starters period.

What's the alternative? Keep Fitz, knowing that he's NOT the long term solution?

I'm not looking for a long term solution at backup QB.

And of course I'll let it play out. No other option.

Remind me of a few times that has worked?

Hedging bets on the QB?

Um.

Keeping Bradshaw when Noll thought Gilliam was going to be their QB going forward.

Staubach and Morton competing against each other.

Drafting Rodgers expecting Favre to retire in the next two years.

The whole Seattle QB situation that ended up with Wilson taking control.

I'm sure I'm missing a few and I realize none of these are exactly our situation but every situation is pretty unique.

Yes. In reality, NOTHING changed. OB saw an opportunity to improve the team by introducing competition to the QB position. Things only changed because of our perception. Because we, as fans, don't know half the thinking that goes into making team decisions. We made Mallett to be the saviour while OB thought he just had potential.

Well, something did change. The Texans paid a few million for another quarterback. That reduces the resources available to fix other positions.

I meant nothing changed with respect to how OB viewed Mallett.

Correct, but we as fans have some more evidence to try to figure out what his view is. If we could only deal with black and white facts, this board would be empty.

Nope. It's the same priority for me as most HCs in the league - $1.5 mil or under for a backup. Anything more is someone who is more than depth, like Henne in Jax or Fitz here last year.

Here's my problem with that - it leaves out what could be done with the money. We're talking enough money to sign Moore or close to it. Or we're talking enough to up our offers to Carter, Moore, etc. and not let others get him. We've made runs at starters and are not getting them presumably being parsimonious and then we throw money at Hoyer like a 1 am Texan Bill sweetheart.

We aren't going to get 5 upgrade starters in the draft, actually not 5 starters period.

I'm not looking for a long term solution at backup QB.

:spit:

Hedging bets on the QB?

Um.

Keeping Bradshaw when Noll thought Gilliam was going to be their QB going forward.

Staubach and Morton competing against each other.

Drafting Rodgers expecting Favre to retire in the next two years.

The whole Seattle QB situation that ended up with Wilson taking control.

I'm sure I'm missing a few and I realize none of these are exactly our situation but every situation is pretty unique.

Not feeling any of those. Toss from the get drafting a young guy to succeed an old guy (Favre/Rogers). Clearly not the case.

That wasn't my impression in Gilliam at all. Golden boy got temporarily benched.

The Morton/Staubach thing was a debacle of epic proportions so bad Bob Lilly was drafted by the team to get Landry off the pot.

Seattle is the closest but there was no plan for competition. The high dollar starter got beat out by the CHEAP rookie.

I'm talking a team entering TC with no plan/real idea for their starting QB. The Browns have tried it a few times...and are still looking for a QB. Can't think of a success. I'm sure there is one out there but it's rare.

Not feeling any of those. Toss from the get drafting a young guy to succeed an old guy (Favre/Rogers). Clearly not the case.

That wasn't my impression in Gilliam at all. Golden boy got temporarily benched.

The Morton/Staubach thing was a debacle of epic proportions so bad Bob Lilly was drafted by the team to get Landry off the pot.

Seattle is the closest but there was no plan for competition. The high dollar starter got beat out by the CHEAP rookie.

I'm talking a team entering TC with no plan/real idea for their starting QB. The Browns have tried it a few times...and are still looking for a QB. Can't think of a success. I'm sure there is one out there but it's rare.

Post Aikman Cowboys went through several seasons of JAG's before giving Romo a shot in the middle of a season. Worked out OK for them (even though many will disagree).

Post Aikman Cowboys went through several seasons of JAG's before giving Romo a shot in the middle of a season. Worked out OK for them (even though many will disagree).

How is 4 QBs in 5 years and not winning anything "working out?" That's more like survived. You're proving my point.

2 of those were washed up not never was.

Anyway, we've hashed this out. I think it's a mistake but will be hoping for the best - Mallett turning into a legit Schaub+ level starter.

How is 4 QBs in 5 years and not winning anything "working out?" That's more like survived. You're proving my point.

2 of those were washed up not never was.

Yes, they had to kiss a lot of frogs, as someone put it earlier in the thread, before they found Romo. Hopefully, we're knocking out just one of those out of the way this coming season. But if it's two, so be it, move on to the next one the year after.

Yes, they had to kiss a lot of frogs, as someone put it earlier in the thread, before they found Romo. Hopefully, we're knocking out just one of those out of the way this coming season. But if it's two, so be it, move on to the next one the year after.

While they were kissing frogs they passed on Breesx2, Big Ben, Rivers, Rodgers.

We've passed on Bortles, Bridgewater and Garoppolo so far...

Like I said, hope Mallett pans out.

3 guys who all know the system vs. zero ... That isnt hope, that is reality.

Just a point. WHY would we think OBs system hasn't changed since he came to Houston? Fitz and Savage have one year, Mallett has one season minus an off season. Keenum has an off season and two games. That is the experience on the team.

YES! That's last years inexperienced group.

Wasn't funny the first time...

It wasn't meant to be funny. I looked at the picture and she looked like she was wearing a maternity outfit. I'm not a fashion conscious person, but I have been through 5 pregnancies with the ex and really was ASKING.

It wasn't meant to be funny. I looked at the picture and she looked like she was wearing a maternity outfit. I'm not a fashion conscious person, but I have been through 5 pregnancies with the ex and really was ASKING.

I was replying to Pollarized and repeated lewd comments about another man's wife.

Something other than an impersonation of Daryl Morey's shuffle-the-deck approach.

Pray tell who you could have gotten that was better? It's easy to criticize when you don't have an alternative. There is not ONE NFL ready starting QB in the draft, though a couple could be prematurely placed in that role. NONE were available in FA who are better.

Do you really think you could TRADE for an elite QB without losing WATT?

Just get real or explain how YOU would do it differently.

Now we have two shots of winning the QB roulette gamble we didn't have before FA. That is about as good as it gets.

The texans are investing $9 million at the QB position. That isn't too much. If the Texans were paying $20 million a year to a starter then you would have a point.

Just wait till next year. The winner will get his before his FA season. The loser will be gone and replaced by Savage as the backup. Unless that is, both stink up the joint.

Danny White and Roger Staubach. While nominally co-starters, White started on top - Staubach won. I'd say Staubach went on to a pretty good career.
Danny White took over from Staubach. Staubach was a co starter with Craig Morton.
:tiphat:

Danny White took over from Staubach. Staubach was a co starter with Craig Morton.
:tiphat:

You're right. Senior moment. I remember the battle, just not the participants. My loyalties were changing towards the back to back 1-13 Oilers about that time.

Back