Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brandin Cooks Traded to Cowboys

Are you talking about Stingley? Metchie played every game in 2021
Right, I confused him with someone else. He tore his ACL in the conference title game but played in every game until then. Drafting two guys, one in the first round and the other in the second, with fairly significant injury red flags is risky. And so far, it's not looking good.

Right, I confused him with someone else. He tore his ACL in the conference title game but played in every game until then. Drafting two guys, one in the first round and the other in the second, with fairly significant injury red flags is risky. And so far, it's not looking good.
The Stingley injury is not promising but I have a feeling that if we were in contention it would have been a 3-5 week thing and not an 8-9 week thing or whatever it ended up being. Could be wrong though

As for Metchie I do have a hard time blaming anyone for him getting cancer.

I keep hearing this from folks but it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Give me a time in NC's tenure here when that could've happened and it would've made sense and/or a huge difference in what this team has been able to accomplish over the last 2-3 years & I might be inclined to agree with you. Other than that, its just speculation that this team needs to go this route.

Hell even if he had been able to do it for a few choice playmakers in previous years, those guys would likely be coming up for new deals/extensions by this time..... which would essentially make them 1-2 year deals ANYWAY. & that's if those guys were worth keeping around and/or wanted to be here long term. Getting them here is only part of the job..gotta be able to keep them here too. History also says that most of these guys signing these big 4-5 year deals in FA don't make it to the ends of those deals for 1 reason or another.

Reader wasn't this splashy signing by Bengals......We here knew what kind of player he was, pretty positive Bengals fans nor the media at large knew it tho. Even still, it didn't prove to be fruitful for them until Burrow began ascending...& as you know, we don't have our franchise guy yet.
When Reader was signed, he was coming off his best season and he was 25 or 26. I'm saying that just because you don't have your franchise qb, you can always have other questions answered. I mean logically, a guy on a 1 yr deal my play more selfish to pad his stats, out of scheme vs a player who is not. To add, you get a lot of transition through your team. Jmo

I can see your opinion of Stingley being a wasted pick because he was hurt in college and was hurt for a good part of his rookie season.

Explain to me how Metchie is a wasted pick?
I don't think he was a wasted pick, I think the draft capital used to get a slot guy vs a boundary wr was the waste.

Nobody knows what the Texans will get from Metchie, even before getting the leukemia diagnosis. CnD has stated that he expects a full recovery from it.

The Texans are more than a few players away from competing for a AFCCG. IMO, Caserio is bringing in veteran leadership that will, hopefully, teach the younger guys how to be pros and lay the foundation for the culture Caserio/Ryans wants for the team.
Like Cooks?

Trading for Cooks was dumb when BOB made the move they got a 2nd round pick in the draft in the D-Hop trade the draft was deep at WR and you trade for Cooks. It looks worse with todays viewpoint because we have sucked in the years since and having a young WR groomed for a potential rookie QB would look a lot better than where we are now in 2023.

When Reader was signed, he was coming off his best season and he was 25 or 26. I'm saying that just because you don't have your franchise qb, you can always have other questions answered. I mean logically, a guy on a 1 yr deal my play more selfish to pad his stats, out of scheme vs a player who is not. To add, you get a lot of transition through your team. Jmo
And yet, Reader did not sign early in fa... season not here yet

Trading for Cooks was dumb when BOB made the move they got a 2nd round pick in the draft in the D-Hop trade the draft was deep at WR and you trade for Cooks. It looks worse with todays viewpoint because we have sucked in the years since and having a young WR groomed for a potential rookie QB would look a lot better than where we are now in 2023.

I like how the Vikings handled their WR1 that season. Traded Diggs when it was time to pay up and used that pick for Justin Jefferson. A rare win/win trade.

Although it could just as easily turn out like it did for the Titans… trading AJ Brown and using that pick for Treylon Burks which doesn’t look nearly as good.

But agree, in the Texans case they essentially traded Hopkins for Cooks and David Johnson… woof

The risk is bigger tho. You're absolutely correct. Reader was coming off his best season...but the same holds true for him that holds true for these 1 year deal guys. Reader could've selfishly upped his play with his former team to pad his stats so he could find some sucker in FA to give him a lucrative 4 year deal & then fall back coast.....ala an Albert Haynesworth. Obviously i don't think Reader was anything like Haynesworth, but the example still holds. Bottom line, you just don't know what you're getting with a FA in alot of instances & i think its more appropriate than not in 95% of these situations to give these guys 1-2 year deals vs paying them a boatload of money & hope they can live up to that contract...b/c as we know, significant money like that comes with significant expectations. And also like we saw with Haynesworth, the age doesn't really factor a whole lot into it.

The risk is bigger tho. You're absolutely correct. Reader was coming off his best season...but the same holds true for him that holds true for these 1 year deal guys. Reader could've selfishly upped his play with his former team to pad his stats so he could find some sucker in FA to give him a lucrative 4 year deal & then fall back coast.....ala an Albert Haynesworth. Obviously i don't think Reader was anything like Haynesworth, but the example still holds. Bottom line, you just don't know what you're getting with a FA in alot of instances & i think its more appropriate than not in 95% of these situations to give these guys 1-2 year deals vs paying them a boatload of money & hope they can live up to that contract...b/c as we know, significant money like that comes with significant expectations. And also like we saw with Haynesworth, the age doesn't really factor a whole lot into it.
I think we know what we're getting with a 25 yr old Singletary and 26 yr old Schultz. They have been productive players since coming into the nfl. Reader was getting better ever year with Texans and he was a 5th rd pick. I'm not saying everyone has to get long term deals and we know contract structure is more important than anything. I feel pretty good that Singletary can fulfill a 4 yr contract if that was an option and the same with Schultz, barring catastrophic injury.

I think we know what we're getting with a 25 yr old Singletary and 26 yr old Schultz. They have been productive players since coming into the nfl. Reader was getting better ever year with Texans and he was a 5th rd pick. I'm not saying everyone has to get long term deals and we know contract structure is more important than anything. I feel pretty good that Singletary can fulfill a 4 yr contract if that was an option and the same with Schultz, barring catastrophic injury.

I tend to agree with both these guys, & I think that's how NC has largely been looking at it with most of the signings he's undertaken. Why tie up even medium money over a number of years for what amounts to a back-up RB and TE? Sure they've been productive at their previous stops, but both guys will most likely prove to be replaceable likely very soon anyway with a cheaper, late round pick that can be developed in that time. & hey, maybe you get lucky and develop a guy that's WAY better & what you don't want is to be in a situation where you've got accumulated dead money on the books from these long term deals from guys you signed 2-3 years prior that could prevent you from resigning those younger upgrades. Just best to maintain flexibility.

I tend to agree with both these guys, & I think that's how NC has largely been looking at it with most of the signings he's undertaken. Why tie up even medium money over a number of years for what amounts to a back-up RB and TE? Sure they've been productive at their previous stops, but both guys will most likely prove to be replaceable likely very soon anyway with a cheaper, late round pick that can be developed in that time. & hey, maybe you get lucky and develop a guy that's WAY better & what you don't want is to be in a situation where you've got accumulated dead money on the books from these long term deals from guys you signed 2-3 years prior that could prevent you from resigning those younger upgrades. Just best to maintain flexibility.

I think I assess their talent levels a bit different as they are the younger upgrades.

Schultz had 200 receptions, 2,000 yards and 17 TD's in the last three seasons.

Single Tray as we are calling him now averaged 800 yards and 4.7 YPC for the last four seasons, along with 50+ receptions the last three years.

Both of these are above replacement level in my opinion, and I'll take young proven talent over late round gambles, but YMMV.

I think I assess their talent levels a bit different as they are the younger upgrades.

Schultz had 200 receptions, 2,000 yards and 17 TD's in the last three seasons.

Single Tray as we are calling him now averaged 800 yards and 4.7 YPC for the last four seasons, along with 50+ receptions the last three years.

Both of these are above replacement level in my opinion, and I'll take young proven talent over late round gambles, but YMMV.

no disputing that they are upgrades...How much more of an upgrade is the question. Then you have to factor in the types of offenses they were in..Dallas and Buffalo were extremely explosive, pass happy offenses.......... with franchise qbs to boot....we can debate whether Dak is a true franchise qb, but he's passed for over 4000 yards and 30 TD's in 2 of the last 4 seasons when he wasn't hurt. You also have to factor in their role here vs. where they came from. Singletary was a starter for Buffalo the last 2 years. He will not be that here. So it stands to reason that production will take a dip. Still an upgrade over Burkhead, but he likely won't put up those numbers here in a reserve role.

Schultz saw 104 targets in 2021...an average of around almost 90 per season over the last 3. What are the odds he's gonna see those numbers here with a presumed rookie TE in a what looks to be a run-first offense?

The production is relative to their roles here vs. where they came from.

Last edited:
no disputing that they are upgrades...How much more of an upgrade is the question. Then you have to factor in the types of offenses they were in..Dallas and Buffalo were extremely explosive, pass happy offenses.......... with franchise qbs to boot....we can debate whether Dak is a true franchise qb, but he's passed for over 4000 yards and 30 TD's in 2 of the last 4 seasons when he wasn't hurt. You also have to factor in their role here vs. where they came from. Singletary was a starter for Buffalo the last 2 years. He will not be that here. So it stands to reason that production will take a dip. Still an upgrade over Burkhead, but he likely won't put up those numbers here in a reserve role.

Schultz saw 104 targets in 2021...an average of around almost 90 per season over the last 3. What are the odds he's gonna see those numbers here with a presumed rookie TE in a what looks to be a run-first offense?

The production is relative to their roles here vs. where they came from.
Schultz might see more targets based on he's in the young qb face and as of right now, he's the best match up as a pass catcher they have. There is a really likely scenario that he's the #1 target. Woods is a 3, Nico is probably a 2, maybe. Metchie, we haven't a clue, I really like Rodgers as a guy who plays bigger and stronger than his size states.

To be fair, that cut DL dude had a torn achilles previously. Tough for the Texans to pass on that medical red flag.
And Jonathan Taylor was somewhat productive. Can’t have that on a team that’s tanking. :winky:
Edit: oops thinking of the wrong guy we cut last season.

Last edited:
Back