Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BL 2017 3.0

beerlover

Hall of Fame
First Round: #25 Deshaun Watson, QB, 6-2 221 Clemson
deshaun-watson-clemson-tigers.jpg

Seems like teams are just going to sit back address needs and dare Rick Smith to select a QB for the Houston Texans in the first round (never happened yet) we'll find out shortly.

Second Round: #57 Dion Dawkins, OL, 6-4 314 Temple
temple-owls-offensive-lineman-dion-dawkins-blocks-cincinnati-bearcats-picture-id619597752

Texans possibly move up for Dawkins to secure cog for OL. Need help both guard and tackle he can play both. Technique needs work but strength is evident. Ok in space, might have to start @ Guard and see how he develops,

Third Round: #89 Cordrea Tankersley, CB, 6-1 199 Clemson
tankersley_1442559776665_24125909_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Some really good corners still on the board despite run on them. This is where Texans should add DB bolstering back end.

Fourth Round: #130 Brian Hill, RB, 6-1 219 Wyoming
544d0788d108f.image.jpg

Productive with good measureable going to NFL. Willing blocker in pass pro.

Fourth Round: #142 Vince Biegel, LB, 6-3 244 Wisconsin from Cleveland Browns (compensatory selection)
image.jpg

Outside rusher & special teams player. Plays with passion gives 110%

Fifth Round: #169 Rayshawn Jenkins, FS, 6-1 214
upload_2017-4-27_3-13-1.png
Another DB to compete in camp, could make roster or stashed on practice squad.

Sixth Round: #209 traded to Washington

Seventh Round: #243 Corey Levin, OG, Chattanooga 6040 307
upload_2017-4-27_3-14-42.png
Adds depth, rotational, good developmental guard going forward.

Enjoy hope Texan Fans feel good about our 2017 draft class,

Last edited:
Great mock. Very optimistic on where players land. Fingers crossed.

Bah007 got me excited about Dawkins. Him and Lamp are my top 2 OL targets. Both can be our best RT since Winston and have the ability to be even better at guard. Would love to add Dawkins as well as a potential franchise QB in Watson.

Hill outta Wyoming would be the perfect compliment to Miller and Biegel would be a special teams dynamo!

I really like this one - would be pretty happy with it.
The only way you could make it better would be to get Patrick Mahomes in the first. ;)

1. Hard to pass on a QB when that is so far above other positions of need. Found it difficult to grade whole group fairly and logically. BPA becomes player who makes biggest impact. See run on OT's starting with Denver selection #20 Ramczyk, Miami going Lamp #22, Bolles #23 Giants and Cam to Raiders #24 as real possibilities. Watson is 2nd QB taken after Browns select Trubisky. All projections. Be happy with any of the offensive lineman available if Watson is not.
2. Yeah, hats off to Bah007 for confirming interest in Dawkins, really would help if Texans pulled trigger on QB in the first. Remember Rick Smith had to trade away next years 2nd to dumb salary so this is very important pick, cannot afford to miss and Dion is a strong blocker, Texans would be very fortunate to get him here.
3. Just love this CB class. Don't want to wait any longer, now that top two needs knocked out. Some really good ones are available late if Tank is gone Texans could look at Sidney Jones recovering from acl or Gareon Conley if his recent arrest is false (just don't think investigation will be finished in time).
4a. Not RB I love (Mack) but tops backs off the board. Hill has the size I like along with other measureables, but choose him because of ability to block in pass pro.
4b. Couldn't help in our group mock just how many LB'ers you guys like and took. I even considered Watt for first pick to the Texans.
5. Developmental safety pick, love this Hurricane class of prospects. Jenkins has excellent size, ball skills and speed.
7. Could be anyone really, but wanted to go back and address OL. Levin is the type who could stick around a long time.

I would be happy with those top two picks. I think Watson is a limited upside but safe (as safe as any rookie QB) pick. He's a slightly better Bridgewater to me. That's good enough with the rest of our current team, but not a franchise guy. I can live with that.

I'm on the Cam Robinson train and then take Webb (trade up like you did with Dawkins if necessary) in the second. Webb is in no shape or form ready to step on the field this year. However, he's got the most potential of any QB. He's got the size, the arm, and the football IQ to really be something. He's a project, but so is someone like Mahomes or Keizer. Mahomes scares me because he just plays backyard football and has terrible mechanics. Webb needs work, but makes reads.

However, if the draft broke your way here, I'd be ok as long as Watson sits for the year.

Oh, and I am a huge Jake Butt early day 3 guy. He's a TE1 on an injury discount.

Put Mahomes in the #1 slot and I would consider this the best draft the Texans have had (now, what they do with it...).

Put Mahomes in the #1 slot and I would consider this the best draft the Texans have had (now, what they do with it...).

Watson it is, both selected by teams who identified them moved higher to secure. Habit not to mock trades so I'm fine with that.

Lots of trade activity. How can anyone mock that? Just try to match bpa for system of need. Miracle just to nail one, lol

Incapsulate my 2017 Texan Mock effort;

#25 Texans moved up to #12 for franchise QB Watson. I'm pumped for next season now!
#57 Texans stood pat, taking BPA ILB Zach Cunningham. Dawkins was there and went 63rd overall. Texans missed out on a plug & play RT and bigger need than ILB.
#89 D'Onta Foreman RB out of Texas. Actually love this pick and did not project him to still be on the board this late. Third biggest need for Texans coming into this draft, IMO.
#97 Cordrea Tankersly CB, Clemson went to Miami. Once again I tried to project a pick based on need and who could realistically be available at each pick and Tank would have made a nice addition to secondary.
#130 Julie'n Davenport OT high ceiling developmental RT/LT not ready to start. But will probably be designated as Texans swing tackle.
#156 Brian Hill, RB Wyoming. Other than Fournette and McCaffery, RB class as a whole slipped further than expected. Not as much as offensive lineman but some serious value to be had for opportunistic teams that needed to upgrade RB position.
#142 Carlos Watkins, DT Clemson. Highly recruited and very productive early in Clemson career. Involved in car accident then rehab yet to maintain high level of conditioning.
#108 Vince Biegel, LB Wisconsin to Packers (serious home town bias). See I did have LB position addressed he just went a lot higher than I expected. With Cunningham in 2nd makes it mute point anyway. Foreman better value in 3rd.
#169 Treston DeCoud, DB Oregon State. Think he projects to FS. NFL frame, instincts and playmaking ability. Inconsistent tackler, developmental and special teams.
#113 Rayshawn Jenkins, FS, Miami drafted by Miami (home town bias). Same position but seems NFL teams in the backyard of prospects does impact grade. But unlike DeCoud he is ready to make immediate impact.
#243 Kyle Fuller, Center, Baylor. Another developmental pick. Has elite size for position, see how well Houston coaches him up? Boom or bust prospect which is kinda funny to say about Center position, lol.
#217 Corey Levin, OG to possums. Similar talent in relationship to Fuller but as Guard more versatile.

There you have it, another year wasted/err spent mocking what I'd like to see Texans pull from talent pool. Overall grade for both (B)?

Back