Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Big game Saturday night !

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
For the first preseason game of the season, this game is pretty important. Important for Babin & Robinson. Oh it's not going to make or break their careers. But you know what they say about first impressions. More important for Babin.
Robinson was the smart money, obvious pick. Without question, one of two corners in the draft with the apparent potential to be a shut-down CB. The other one wasn't on the board when we picked at 10, we needed a CB, no-brainer to take Dunta. Babin on the other hand, he was(and remains I think) as controversial as Robinson was obvious. For the first time, Houston metro - the fan base(mostly on TV, alot in person) will see these guys in full-contact,
full speed, game type environment.
And hey, thanks to the hasty departure of the Cowboys starter, we probably get a chance to see another one of our recent draft picks. He won't be playing for us of course. If Drew Henson gets in the game, a bigger audidence than Houston Metro will be watching.
But I'm really gonna have my eyes glued on that tube when our D is out there. Pretty big game for jsut the pre-season opener !

I'll be looking for Drew "NFL Experience 0" Henson to get the stuffin' knocked out! ...Go Texan Defense!

SAA0847.gif

I'd like to agree and say this will be a super game but it's the first preseason game and it's doubtful that either coach will play their "name" players much.

It's really nothing more than a glorified scrimmage; they'll play the 3rd, 4th team players the majority of the game.
Maybe Carr will play a few series.

But it'll be fun to have a football game. That's for sure. I guess the Stros are dead so it's Texans time.

You know I was just thinking even if the Astros were doing good the Texans own this town anyway.

It is disappointing though to sign Clements and Petitte (sp?) and do so poorly.

But the Texans have won over Houston sports fans I think by far over the Astros and Rockets.

SassyTexan said:
I'll be looking for Drew "NFL Experience 0" Henson to get the stuffin' knocked out! ...Go Texan Defense!

Drew Henson did the Texans a favor and didn't reenter the draft. I am thankful for that, but I am still hoping the Texans serve him up. :twocents:

WWJD said:
You know I was just thinking even if the Astros were doing good the Texans own this town anyway.

It is disappointing though to sign Clements and Petitte (sp?) and do so poorly.

But the Texans have won over Houston sports fans I think by far over the Astros and Rockets.

People ask me or poke fun that the Stros have flopped and all I can say is the Texans starting up again makes everything better with me. All that matters in Texas is football anyway. Astros who?

My opinion - baseball sucks. If they could tackle each other and if there were touchdowns and a football and pads and cheerleaders and helmets and endzones and first downs and a 16 game season compared to a 162, it would be pretty cool.

On a further note, I think that the Cowboys are just going to show basic looks - Henson will get most of the snaps but Vinny will get the first quarter. I think that the Cowboys like Henson and realize that he has the potential to take over the starting position. Just not for the beginning of the season.

This will be a learning experience for Babin and Dunta - both will perform as a 1st round rookie is expected - With some flashes but for the most part taking it all in like a sponge.

It will be strange to see George in a Cowboys uniform for sure.
Who is better George or Emmit?

DominatorDavis said:
Who is better George or Emmit?

Are you kidding? This is too easy. George isn't even in the same class as Emmitt. Of all the running backs with lots of career yardage, Eddie George and Franco Harris are about tied for bottom of the barrel.

Personally, I'm just as excited about the Rockets as I am about the Texans. This will be a good year in football and basketball for Houston in my opinion. I mean, Carr, Davis, Johnson then Yao and T Mac! I just wish things had worked for the Astros and we would've had all three sports banging Houston into everyones head.

personally if you think this is a "big game" you know very little about football. It is the first preseason game of the year. Most of the baboons on this board will come on here if we lose and talk about how bad the team looks. Frankly, I dont care. Just stay healthy until september 12 and go from there. Now I know most of you reading this are thinking "hey that meanie just said i know very little about football',but I'm just being honest. If you think this is a big game, you know very little about preseason football. This game will be used to see who will get those final 8 roster spots. Dont expect much of a game out of the starters, who also know, it's just a preseason game

Well I'm on the side of "it's no big deal" being a preseason game and all I don't think I'd start saying people don't know much if they think it's important.

It's just what it is..the first preseason game...a chance for people to have some fun and get into the groove of football again but I don't think the teams care much other than getting certain people playing time and getting some reps against somebody other than your teammates.

But to some preseason IS important. To me no.

That doesn't mean I'm smarter and they aren't. It just means we think differently.

I guess if I were a player on the Texans and Cowboys and I was on the bubble it would be REAL important.

nunusguy said:
For the first preseason game of the season, this game is pretty important. Important for Babin & Robinson. Oh it's not going to make or break their careers. But you know what they say about first impressions. More important for Babin.

That tells me all I need to know about WHY someone would think that this preseason game is . . . "important".

It is very obvious that some people still got the redass that Babin was drafted. So therefore, Babin will go into the pre-season and in the regular season with one strike against him before he is even given a fair chance to prove himself. That's a shame, and I can understand why others would respond with the accusation of "not knowing much about football".

It's important for the guys trying to make an impression and make the team. Other than that, it's cross your fingers and hope no one gets hurt. With the structured off season programs and minicamps now, there's no reason for the NFL to continue having 4 preseason games, except for the revenue it generates of course.

texansfan88 said:
personally if you think this is a "big game" you know very little about football. It is the first preseason game of the year. Most of the baboons on this board will come on here if we lose and talk about how bad the team looks.

Listen, it's about something called pride. Something this team and its fans have had very little to build on the past 2 years, yet we stay with the team and we stay hopeful. I can appreciate your take on the issue but remember that is your perspective not everyone else's. So what I am saying is you need talk to some of the guys on the board before you label most people here, that have frankly been watching football longer than you have been alive, as baboons simply because you do not understand why they consider this a "big game."

Now I know most of you reading this are thinking "hey that meanie just said i know very little about football',but I'm just being honest. If you think this is a big game, you know very little about preseason football.

Well I guess that comes down to the interpretation of big game now doesn't it? If it means important that we win, that's one thing, but if as it appears it means it is big because we are going to get a good look at whether two 1st round draft picks will be able to step into the starting line-up and thereby enable another player to start at FS, plus whether the key OL position will be adequately filled this year then gee that doesn't seem quite so unknowledgeable now does it? Is it the last stop in the judgement of those players, no but it is one of only four opportunities to look at them before the season starts at game speed against another team--important, significant, big--it is one of them and the difference certainly doesn't seem to warrant being a baboon. And by the way, though I disagree, some pretty good NFL coaches--cough, Parcells, cough--actually place an importance on winning these things. But then again, maybe that hair of his accompanies a red and blue hind end.

texansfan88 said:
personally if you think this is a "big game" you know very little about football. It is the first preseason game of the year.
What I was really trying to say was that Saturdays game is big for certain individuals and in particlular Jason Babin and Dunta Robinson since they are our
only high draft picks. It is the first time they will play in a game as members
of their new team in front of local TV and what will probably be a big turnout for
the fans attending in person. As others have pointed out, it will be an important
game for all who are marginal as far as making the teams roster. That is not a concern for our 2 first round picks, atleast not this year. And I think it's a big game for all wanting to see some football of any kind from the Texans after the
long, long offseason for all of us who are fans. I know I feel that way.
But whether or not we win the game, your point is well taken. It's actually pretty meaningless what our preseason record ends up being. And when they tee it up on Sept. 12 for the regular season opener, it will be even more
meaningless.

texansfan88 said:
personally if you think this is a "big game" you know very little about football. It is the first preseason game of the year. Most of the baboons on this board will come on here if we lose and talk about how bad the team looks. Frankly, I dont care. Just stay healthy until september 12 and go from there. Now I know most of you reading this are thinking "hey that meanie just said i know very little about football',but I'm just being honest. If you think this is a big game, you know very little about preseason football. This game will be used to see who will get those final 8 roster spots. Dont expect much of a game out of the starters, who also know, it's just a preseason game

You are correct sir. Worry how we look against San Diego, not the preseason games. :soapbox:

Austin_Texan_Fan said:
Listen, it's about something called pride. Something this team and its fans have had very little to build on the past 2 years, yet we stay with the team and we stay hopeful. I can appreciate your take on the issue but remember that is your perspective not everyone else's. So what I am saying is you need talk to some of the guys on the board before you label most people here, that have frankly been watching football longer than you have been alive, as baboons simply because you do not understand why they consider this a "big game."

okay, no one is a baboon, but check back here if we lose the game, you'll see what I mean. And if you dont have pride just to have a team back, and say that there is little to build on, there's always Los Angeles...i'm sure they'd be happy to have this team

geofb said:
Are you kidding? This is too easy. George isn't even in the same class as Emmitt. Of all the running backs with lots of career yardage, Eddie George and Franco Harris are about tied for bottom of the barrel.

I am sorry. Who is better today - not all time. I agree, I think Emmit is one of the greatest ever. But who would you rather have on your fantasy team? Who, of the two, will have a more productive year?

Just a thought :shrug:

I am looking forward to the first game that the Texans have coming up. I am looking forward to seeing the game and the Texans offense scoring points, and the Texans defense doing their thing. And everyone cheer for David Carr to hand off the football to Domanick Davis a. k. a. Hercules in my book, and of course Texan touchdowns for all. And on defense, I hope Jerry Deloach (excuse my spelling) and Jamie Sharper take those Cowboys and toss them clear out of Reliant Stadium!!!!!!!!!!

Austin_Texan_Fan said:

As someone who was watching football since before you were alive and who can remember the Love Ya Blue era, who remembers when the Oilers with Campbell, Pastorini, Culp, Brazille, White Shoes, and Bum going against the Cowboys of Dorsett, Staubach, the two Pearsons, Martin, Too Tall, Hollywood, and Landry........THIS IS NOT A BIG GAME

BornOrange said:
As someone who was watching football since before you were alive and who can remember the Love Ya Blue era, who remembers when the Oilers with Campbell, Pastorini, Culp, Brazille, White Shoes, and Bum going against the Cowboys of Dorsett, Staubach, the two Pearsons, Martin, Too Tall, Hollywood, and Landry........THIS IS NOT A BIG GAME

Congrats you don't think it is a big game. And? :crazy:

How about this wording to make everyone happy.

For the fans, this game is meaningless. For the players (especially rookies and those otherwise just trying to make the team), it's a big game.

Nope, not good enough!!! This is a SuperBowl quailty game man!!! :hehe:

Its just a game, but its a "big" game because , for myself, I miss watching my Texans play and would like nothing more than to watch these guys do well for themselves and for our team. Oh and because I hate the cowboys, but that is strictly a personal and selfish reason.

geofb said:
How about this wording to make everyone happy.

For the fans, this game is meaningless. For the players (especially rookies and those otherwise just trying to make the team), it's a big game.

Thank you. You got it! I've been to tons of preseason games and can't recall one single play in one single game.

Well, I can't completely agree that this game is meaningless to me and I'm a fan.

It's meaning is small of course but a win would provide the Texans fans with a year long "Talisman against rabid Cowboy trolls" which would be nice to have. It's not a "must have" since we can always bring out our "19-10, now go away" but I hate to over use that one so a preseason win would not be unwelcome.

Plus it's a chance to see the team on the field again. This has been one long bye-week and I'm ready for it to be over.

I really dislike pre-season ball but the game is an exciting development to me since this was the longest off-season ever. Bring on the games. Meaningless or not. It's football season.

There is a game on ESPN tonight as a heads up to you all.

I hope every one is healthy at the start of the season. I really think if we stay healthy the playoffs are with in our reach.
Bring it on...I'm sick of baseball. It's time for some hard hitting sport even if it's preseason. :headbang:

I'm just bitter that I won't get to see any of it until mid-week next week--NFL Network won't broadcast it until Monday at 1:00 PM Eastern (?!) and I'll be outta town until Wednesday. I'm really eager to see some footage; reading about camp online is one thing, but watching players on the field will be much, much better. Sounds like the game could shed some light on some of the ongoing position battles.

Oh, and I don't give a rat's backside if we beat the Cowboys or not. Just please, please, pray that we have no Michael Vick/Anquan Boldin/Chad Pennington-type storylines come out of that game!!

Back