Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bell Back

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Texans | Bell Re-signed - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 5 May 2004 01:57:21 -0700

The Houston Texans have re-signed restricted free agent CB Jason Bell to a one-year, $455,000 deal.

No surprise here after the RFA deadline past, but now it is official.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Jason Bell is one of my favorite players on the Texans. True, he needs some help in his cover skills, which I think will improve this season, but I love his attitude towards playing special teams. It is almost as if he wants to make the Pro Bowl as a special teamer. The guy will hit you, and he hustles on all kickoff and punt returns. This was a great signing of a role player.

How many times did he stop the punt returner for no gain in the first two years. I remember several times when he hustled down the field to make a big play.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
He also downed alot of punts inside the 10 alot. You know now that I think of it. If Peek has to play special teams this year, our special teams can really be pretty good too. Bell and Peek at the beginning of last season were really starting to come together until Peek broke the lineup and really didn't play much ST after that.

Mistril48

Rookie
Signing a contract and making the team are two different things!

I think Bell is a GREAT gunner, but as they improve the depth of their secondary it will be harder and harder to keep him on the roster. At some point they may have to give his roster spot to a developmental defensive back, like Ramon Walker, or DeMarcus Faggins, or Glen Earl, or Jamaal Lord, who hopefully will also be pretty good on special teams.

Also, they have Derrick Vaughn to consider. He played well as a gunner. Is he a better back-up in the secondary?

As the Texans imrpove their depth, it will be more and more interesting to see how the Texans manage the bottom of their roster.

I believe the practice squad limit increased 5 to 8 players, so that will give us some room the develop the younger players this year.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Mistril, I hear you loud and clear. Derrick Vaughn did do a fine job as a gunner last year and quite frankly had the speed enough to understand Moses field reversals and stuff. He also did and is a better depth quality player than Bell. I think if Bell is going to have to do anything it will have to happen this year. But really, if you can play ST at a very high level you should have a spot on this team and Bell does just that.

Mistril48

Rookie
Shotgun30 said:
I believe the practice squad limit increased 5 to 8 players, so that will give us some room the develop the younger players this year.
Shotgun, you're right about the practice squad. Still, some of the senior developmental players won't be eligible for the practice squad. Further, they would have to clear waivers. In the case of some of the developmental players, they may take the risk of them clearing waivers. In other cases, they may not want to take the risk.

I believe that there will be more and more pressure on the bottom of the roster as the team develops. I think that the teams that released Bell and Vaughan probably knew how good they were on special teams, but couldn't keep them on their rosters while they scrambled to build defenses.

aj.

All Pro
The Texans carried 10 DBs into Week 1 last year. Six corners and four safeties.

It's going to get tougher and tougher for the guys at the bottom of the depth chart to make the team and that's a good thing.

I see Glenn, Coleman, Robinson, Brown, Wright (if healthy), McCree, and Walker (if healthy) as locks or favorites to make the 53.

That leaves Burns, Earl, Simmons, Faggins, Vaughn, Lord, Duff, Freeman and Bell fighting for three spots.

Advantage goes to the guys who excel at special teams and those who are the smartest and most versatile. I liked what I saw from Faggins late last year. Vaughn can return kicks. Duff and Earl sound like they can make some noise. Bell is fast and a good special teamer but hasn't been the best in coverage.

Fiddy

All Pro
Earl is going to make it, but they will put him on the PUP. I really like Faggins and the coaches love Simmons for his verstility. Bell will probably be back for his special teams play unless one of the rookies can unseat him as the top "gunner." I dont see Burns, Vaughun or Freeman making it. If Duff makes it he will be the KR.

Walker and Wright will both make it, Walker will probably be on the PUP, too.

So I see Glenn, Coleman, Robinson, Brown, Wright, McCree, Walker, Earl, Faggins. Duff, Simmons, and Bell will battle for the last spot. Duff will probably be the kick returner so they might have to keep 11 DBs, it would be tough to do that though.

Dont forget that Sloan Thomas is hoping that Duff can unseat Moses as the KR because Moses is taking that last WR spot. If Duff doesnt show anything and Moses keeps his spot, Thomas will probably be cut and put on the practice squad.

Mistril48

Rookie
AJ and Fiddy, thank you for the great analysis. One comment I would add is that it's not 'in stone' that they will have 10 DBs. They may want to keep an extra linebacker, tight end, wide receiver, etc, as a developmental project. Time will tell. Don't forget that they may also have to fit in a late pick up off the waiver wire as they break camp and get their rosters down.