Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Because JB asked..

Austin/Dallas = the new California.

I wonder how long it will take for the carpetbaggers to screw up Texas like they did California?

Better for who? What’s the problem? Conflict of interest?

I support the Texans now even over the Cowboys. You may have missed, I sat front row for the 1st 13 years, name on a wall outside the stadiun. I support Texas over the rest of the country. Problem?

I support the Texans now even over the Cowboys. You may have missed, I sat front row for the 1st 13 years, name on a wall outside the stadiun. I support Texas over the rest of the country. Problem?

I think you missed something. I have no issue with you or anyone with allegiance to another team as long as it’s known, JB said the same. I was asking TexansBull what the issue was with YOU having dual fandom. (Note the quote and ? marks) I certainly don’t. From what I’ve seen he’s not said why he seemed unhappy about you being a Cowboys fan.

I disapprove of open ended titles but...

Because JB asked.. what would this board have said when the Oilers pissed away their insurmountable lead vs the Bills in 92'? (It was 92' right?)

Just for grins of course, but personally it was that travesty that kept me from caring they left.
Well.. that's bs I was heartbroken but you feel me.

Side note: Thanks to the Texans for coming back and at least pushing the spread. :corrosion:
When the Oily Ones pissed away that 32 pt. lead I would have said They should have switched to their jumbo formation at halftime and run clock. They could still have thrown occasionally as long as they did it from that formation. The run-'n-shoot was ideal for preserving time on the clock. Defensively they should have come out of the rotation zones, which are strength and weakness defenses that the Bills would have figured out, and stayed in basic coverage mode.

People forget that the Oilers played the Bills in Houston one week before playing the debacle in Buffalo.
I was at that game, and the Oilers beat the hell out of the Bills.
Houston's defense pounded Jim Kelly, knocking him out of the game multiple times
The final score of that game was 27-3.
The way they man handled them in Houston, plus looking so dominant in the first half of the playoff game made that an especially bitter and unexpected defeat.

Despite the epic meltdown, I'll never believe that the Bills were the better team that year

It was January of 1993. There was more than 1 report of someone shooting their TV.

This board would crash........

"The 92' season" would have been apropos.
Thanks though.

Lol, you're delusional. But thanks for the example.

There are good things to Houston. It was great learning admiralty law because Houston is semi on a coast. It was one of the last bastions for plaintiffs so as a defense attorney I went up against the very best as a pup. (I cannot tell you the value of going up against the best in the country v some jackass). The food is phenomenal, very underrated, and eclectic. Kids always want vietnamese, thai or sushi when asked.

But MFer is flat and hostile. Riding in Marin County was a soothing relaxation. Riding in Houston was when am I going to get in a fight.

It can be but I find if you're cool.. others will be cool towards you.
The reasoning behind this (i.m.o.) is.. people (even our own Born and Raised Texans) know better than to **** with... Texans.

When the Oily Ones pissed away that 32 pt. lead I would have said They should have switched to their jumbo formation at halftime and run clock. They could still have thrown occasionally as long as they did it from that formation. The run-'n-shoot was ideal for preserving time on the clock. Defensively they should have come out of the rotation zones, which are strength and weakness defenses that the Bills would have figured out, and stayed in basic coverage mode.

Pardee screwed up that game by taking his foot off the pedal. Something about a gentleman's agreement to not run up the score in games. Duck that, if the Bills should've lost that game 70-3.....Pardee should've been more than happy to oblige them. This was an inexcusable loss that I pin directly on not playing to win but playing the game not to lose.

It can be but I find if you're cool.. others will be cool towards you.
The reasoning behind this (i.m.o.) is.. people (even our own Born and Raised Texans) know better than to **** with... Texans.

Yes and no. Bowed up on Ernie Canon (great Texas lawyer and former bronc champ) and as you say he went "Texas boy" and backed off. Turned his boots & bronc riding belt buckle at the Chicago lawyer. Beat him down. I was laughing because it was artistry. Lol, Ernie would just lean over, drawl "you don't want to ask that question" and people would back off. Good guy. Used the tools he had. Rangy motherf'cker was one.

But Houstonians assume anyone on a bicycle is a foreigner. I've had to disabuse that notion too many times.

As far as Dallas football.. I could speak on several things but I'll just mention 1....

Tom Landy (and his fedora.. mostly his fedora) was a straight up PIMP.
That dude taught Sinatra how to be cool.

I miss the old days.

Landry was the Earl of Cool.

Pulled a perfect season as a HS QB. Went to war. Came back as a punter then became a pro bowl level DB. Started calling Ds while a player. That just doesn't happen. Invented formations.

Staubach confounded him. He was so used to total control and then there was Roger, the epitome of unplanned.

In all seriousness.. I don't understand the Houston envy at all.. the damn teams don't even play in the same damn conference. I guess it's all the "America's team" crap.. people need to let it go.. until we actually meet in a SB, there can't be a rivalry.

That all goes back to the AFL - NFL rivalry was the start of it. Today there should be no rivalry as you say.

Reactions: JB
But Houstonians assume anyone on a bicycle is a foreigner. I've had to disabuse that notion too many times.[
/QUOTE]

You paint with a rather large brush. I think it's what part of town you're in and what roads you're on

You paint with a rather large brush. I think it's what part of town you're in and what roads you're on

Of course the brush is large. I rode for 8 years in San fran and had zero doors opened into me. Ride a week in Houston and get 3. Not eveyone is an asshole but enough. I'm getting too old for pulling them out. The last one was kind of satisfying. Little conflicted on the fact Bear witnessed it. Parked the motorcycle and jacked.

People are much more polite after an ass whoopin.

Of course the brush is large. I rode for 8 years in San fran and had zero doors opened into me. Ride a week in Houston and get 3. Not eveyone is an asshole but enough. I'm getting too old for pulling them out. The last one was kind of satisfying. Little conflicted on the fact Bear witnessed it. Parked the motorcycle and jacked.

People are much more polite after an ass whoopin.

ahh, it's a case of ignorant drivers not checking their mirrors

ahh, it's a case of ignorant drivers not checking their mirrors

No, this guy opened his door intentionally to hurt me. And my daughter was on the tail. I may have been a bit overkill. Ignorance I can take, mal intent, no. Doubt he does it again

No, this guy opened his door intentionally to hurt me. And my daughter was on the tail. I may have been a bit overkill. Ignorance I can take, mal intent, no. Doubt he does it again

assholes abound everywhere, not just Houston

assholes abound everywhere, not just Houston

Absolutely true. But there are different flavors. Houston hates two wheels and four paws.

Funny thing, I didn't mind dragging the guy. I minded that it happened in front of Bear.

Really disagree here

You ride, either sort?

There's no debate on the four paw part. I could barely take Elvis anywhere. In Austin if I walk in they're where's Sue?. Damn dog gets free treats everywhere. It's the opposite of Houston.

Lol, did have one confrontation in Austin. Walked into a quick e mart, Sue trailing.

Little Pakistani dude, "no dogs."

This was a place Elvis & Sue had been invited.

"My bad, kick him out."

I fought the law and the dog won.

He wouldn't get within 10 feet. Not sure if that was cultural or just scared.

You ride, either sort?

There's no debate on the four paw part. I could barely take Elvis anywhere. In Austin if I walk in they're where's Sue?. Damn dog gets free treats everywhere. It's the opposite of Houston.

I'm old mow, but used to ride cycles. What is you definition of hardly anywhere?

I'm old mow, but used to ride cycles. What is you definition of hardly anywhere?

Dogs or bicycles or motorcycles?

All 3 Houston is hostile. Ok in particular, I used to live in Rice Military, right next to Memorial. Just assholes. Try to block. I don't want to drive 40 miles to find some non-hostile. I ride straight up hills now

That all goes back to the AFL - NFL rivalry was the start of it. Today there should be no rivalry as you say.

Maybe not but for me its personal, every damn time Dallas beats anybody my Brother-in-law acts like its the 90s again and Dallas is posting back to back Super Bowls. I've tried to like Dallas, I really have because you're right they do only play each other once every 4 years and an all Texas SB would be awesome or even having a Texas team in the SB again. Just every time I mention it to him its "Oh you've finally seen the light" or "Ready to back a team that knows how to win huh" and I start hating Dallas again.

I suspect that it has less to do with Dallas and more to do with whatever team he is supporting. Wonder if I could get him to be a Colts or Titans fan, then I could get all my football hate in two teams.

All 3 Houston is hostile. Ok in particular, I used to live in Rice Military, right next to Memorial. Just assholes. Try to block. I don't want to drive 40 miles to find some non-hostile. I ride straight up hills now

Yeah, I'll agree that area is predominantly assholes, but it's only a small area

Looks like you're in the right place for you.

For me Austin is a nice place to visit family but I wouldn't want to live there again. Traffic has gotten so bad.

Yeah, I'll agree that area is predominantly assholes, but it's only a small area

Name an area where Sue & I are welcome.

It's not just tolerated. In Houston Sue is barely tolerated at a few places. In Austin he's a rock star. Little Dude is 10 kinds of cuddly. Rolls over for staff. He's stupid for waitstaff. Just rolls. Legs flying...Jackass, paws everywhere and they give him treats. He loves the Mexican bakery. Sue is their mascot.

Dogs aside, f'cking people trying to hit me... Not plsying. Ain't right.

Last edited:
The irony is that the NFL planned to expand in Houston before Dallas. It was none other than Bud Adams that pulled strings to get the use of Rice Stadium for NFL games off the table, so the NFL went north to find an easier place to plant their flag. The Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City and changed their name to the Chiefs, and the rest is history.

As far a '93 and that debacle...I agree with the above sentiment that this was the beginning of the end of the Oilers in H-town. After Bud's $60 million improvement demand to the Astrodome and Uncle Drayton's on-going head games about it, the fans of Houston had grown apathetic about the Oilers and downright hateful toward the owner. Rightfully so, I suppose. Constant heartbreak on the field and consistently shady business practices off it will do that to a fan base.

I will never be into sports, or a specific team, like I was with the Houston Oilers. I'm a Texans fan (and the only sport I regularly watch is the NFL), but I clearly see it for the entertainment diversion that it is and there is no living vicariously through sports for this fan.

They lose, life goes on. They win, life goes on. The Oilers meltdown taught me the lesson that Seinfeld joked about later on his show: They win, and we WATCH. It's as simple as that at the end of the day. I'm not sure I would have this clarity if not for the annual shitshow that was the Houston Oilers.

People forget that the Oilers played the Bills in Houston one week before playing the debacle in Buffalo.
I was at that game, and the Oilers beat the hell out of the Bills.
Houston's defense pounded Jim Kelly, knocking him out of the game multiple times
The final score of that game was 27-3.
The way they man handled them in Houston, plus looking so dominant in the first half of the playoff game made that an especially bitter and unexpected defeat.

Despite the epic meltdown, I'll never believe that the Bills were the better team that year

That first half in Buffalo was magical. They hit on every cylinder, four possessions, four TD.

As far as Dallas football.. I could speak on several things but I'll just mention 1....

Tom Landy (and his fedora.. mostly his fedora) was a straight up PIMP.
That dude taught Sinatra how to be cool.

I miss the old days.
It is the way Jones treated Landry that soured me on the Cowboys. I had no problem with him replacing Landry, but it was the way he did it.
That first half in Buffalo was magical. They hit on every cylinder, four possessions, four TD.
Magic and a little help from the zebras.

In all seriousness.. I don't understand the Houston envy at all.. the damn teams don't even play in the same damn conference. I guess it's all the "America's team" crap.. people need to let it go.. until we actually meet in a SB, there can't be a rivalry.

I've lived for extended periods in both Houston and Dallas. Neither is my home town, but Houston is where my sports loyalties lie. When I first moved to Dallas, I was surprised how they generally didn't give a sh!t about the Oilers and then even less the Texans. I'd say they probably sympathized more than anything.

I'm pretty sure the Houston hate for the Cowboys is because of the Cowboy fans that live in Houston. I'm sure a lot of them are Dallas transplants, but even more are the same type that are also Lakers/Yankees/Warriors/whichever team is currently hot type of fan. Those are insufferable in any city.

I've lived for extended periods in both Houston and Dallas. Neither is my home town, but Houston is where my sports loyalties lie. When I first moved to Dallas, I was surprised how they generally didn't give a sh!t about the Oilers and then even less the Texans. I'd say they probably sympathized more than anything.

I'm pretty sure the Houston hate for the Cowboys is because of the Cowboy fans that live in Houston. I'm sure a lot of them are Dallas transplants, but even more are the same type that are also Lakers/Yankees/Warriors/whichever team is currently hot type of fan. Those are insufferable in any city.

It's most likely because Dallas 5 rings, Houston 0. They hardly ever play each other and when they do it really doesn't mean much. Just a once in a blue moon regular season game.

The Houston hating Dallas part mainly has to do with their obnoxious fans in Houston. Not all, as I'm a Cowboys fan as well, but a majority. A bunch of in your face, how bout them Boys, when they win, to reminding everyone of their 5 rings when they lose.

I became a Cowboys fan because of my hatred of the Steelers. No fan at all of Jones. Partly because of how he treated Landry, partly because of him getting rid of Johnson, and partly because he's a horrible GM.

That plus 20+ years of mediocrity plus their obnoxious fans probably has me more apathetic towards them these days. I don't even keep up much with Cowboy stuff any more, drafts, roster moves, schedule, etc, like I used to to.

Probably always root for them because they're NFC and I don't like the Giants, Skins or Eagles, but don't feel I'm as avid a fan as I once was.

I was always an Oiler fan and never a Cowboy fan. I've put up with Cowboy fans my entire life and hate the Cowboys.

At the rate we're going though, the Cowboys will always have the historical side in their favor.
I'm with you as far as hating the Cowpokes but them bragging about 5 SB wins, with the last being 25 yrs ago would be akin to the Detroit Lions bragging about winning an NFL title in 1957.

It's most likely because Dallas 5 rings, Houston 0. They hardly ever play each other and when they do it really doesn't mean much. Just a once in a blue moon regular season game.

The Houston hating Dallas part mainly has to do with their obnoxious fans in Houston. Not all, as I'm a Cowboys fan as well, but a majority. A bunch of in your face, how bout them Boys, when they win, to reminding everyone of their 5 rings when they lose.

I became a Cowboys fan because of my hatred of the Steelers. No fan at all of Jones. Partly because of how he treated Landry, partly because of him getting rid of Johnson, and partly because he's a horrible GM.

That plus 20+ years of mediocrity plus their obnoxious fans probably has me more apathetic towards them these days. I don't even keep up much with Cowboy stuff any more, drafts, roster moves, schedule, etc, like I used to to.

Probably always root for them because they're NFC and I don't like the Giants, Skins or Eagles, but don't feel I'm as avid a fan as I once was.

Dallas only had 2 rings and sucked in the late 80's when I first moved to Houston. There was plenty of Cowboy hate then. I'm sure there is jealousy, but I think it's mostly the fact there are so many Cowboy fans in Houston.

Dallas only had 2 rings and sucked in the late 80's when I first moved to Houston. There was plenty of Cowboy hate then. I'm sure there is jealousy, but I think it's mostly the fact there are so many Cowboy fans in Houston.

mostly it's how obnoxious those that live here are

Back