Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BADBOY's annual pre-combine draft with vet trades & FA

badboy

Hall of Fame
I ain't happy with same old & O'Brien isn't leaving & neither is Watson who is grinning at high $ deal coming his way. Only way I see team getting significantly better is:

Free agency: 1. CB Byron Jones pay him for what could have been a pro bowl year

2. OLB Vic Beasely- I'll consider him as replacement for McKinney as we need better cover guy inside + he is about 4.53 & hasn't slowed much.

3. WR Robbie Anderson

Trades: 1) WR Kenny Stills to Washington for 2nd year Dwayne Haskins 6'3 234 pure drop back pocket QB. New Management wants new QB after 1.1 Haskins JAG year & willing to eat dead $. Also, Tu'a puts Wash back into race with Dallas, Giants & Philly

2) LB B McKinney to LA Chargers 2.37 = McKinney saves $5 m & cutting Ingram saves $14m or Perriman 6.5 absorbs B.M. Ingram 30 YOA final contract year.

3) QB Watson & WR Fuller & Fulton (poss backup both OGs Incognito 37 & Jackson serious injury history) to Raiders (playing them vs Miami) as prime draft QBs gone. Texans : #12 +# 19 + pick Raiders get for Carr. I project #2.34 from Colts (see rumors) + RB Josh Jacobs + OLB Crosby.
Rational: Colts desperately need QB & Carr was really good + still have 1.10 & 2.44 & 3.75
Houston: GM/HC not leaving & #4 can bring a haul offering Raiders a "better" Tua who is picked by Washington 1.2. See my NFL draft below.

Draft: 1.12 WR Jerry Jeudy
1.19 DE Epensa NFL Comparison Trey Flowers 6'6" 280
2.34 RG Cesar Ruiz 6'4" 319 can play center but at 20 YOA should be starter 15 years. Mocked everywhere from late first to late round three
2.37 RB JK Dobbins a franchise type guy as I said Josh Jacobs was pre-draft
2.57 CB Jeff Gladney like Ruiz mocked everywhere but alternatives exist.
3.comp OT/OG Robert Hunt my alternative if Ruiz gone. Swing OT/OG
4a CB Stanford Samuels Florida State under radar but becoming better known
4b LB Casey Toohill U of Stanford another under radar with good stats 2019.
5. CB Reggie Robinson II U of Tulsa 6'1" 197 4 INTs 13 PBUs
6 no pick
7a WR/RB/QB Lynn Bowden 6' 190 WR starter then moved to QB due injuries. 2019: 185/1468 13 TDs
7b RB James Robinson 5'10" 215 1,899 @ 5.2 18 TDs catches 16/80 yds
7c RB Nate Gunn 6'2" 220 NCAA 2 Minn State runs like Le'veon Bell 241/1611 @ 5.2 29 TDs

I am not a Watson hater but as above we are on a merry-go-round that is far from merry.

I think Bill O'Brien would have preferred Mahomes to Watson if he was being honest but, at this point Deshaun's success and OB's employment are joined at the hip. The Texan's will try and patch the defense and hopefully make preparations for life after Watson's and Tunsil's extensions. My offseason if I were Billy O:

1) Trade: Keke Coutee, Zach Fulton + pick 4.128 for David Johnson + pick 3.72
2) Own free agents: Bring back McCarron, Fairbairn, Addae, Weeks, Gaines, and Reader
3) Outside free agents: Sign AJ Bouye (if he is released) and Shaq Lawson
4) Draft:
2.57: Darrell Taylor: I am expecting a rise in his draft stock after the combine. We just hired his position coach from Tennessee, so there is familiarity there. Could be a steal.
3.72: Denzel Mims: Deep threat insurance for Fuller and/or Stills in free agency next season. Only there due to the depth at WR in this draft.
3.90: Troy Pride: Depth boundary corner in his rookie year.
4.108: Devin DuVernay: Another receiver, DuVernay becomes our designated slot WR. He is perfectly suited for our WR screen game.
5.171: Tyre Phillips: road grader at RG who will replace Fulton.
7.240: Gage Cervenka: IOL long on measurables that needs work on technique. Could be a Martin replacement at center down the road or just depth a la Mancz
7.248: Javelin Guidry: Think he an Javaris Davis are both candidates to outplay their draft positions as nickel corners. At worst Guidry is a ST extraordinaire.
7.249: Tanner Muse: Clemson safety with size and speed. May not develop on D but can be a core special teamer.
UDFA: One of Joshua Kelley, Patrick Taylor, James Robinson, Michael Warren, JaMycal Hasty or Javon Leake (whoever is undrafted): Likely to get minimal carries behind David and Duke Johnson.

It'll never happen, but why would you spend a high 2nd on a RB when you have a very young and proven Jacobs?
A young inexperienced QB Haskins will need a strong RB with him and too often I see RBs pounded into fatigue or injury leaving fans to hope some so so back pull the QB's toes out of fire. I hesitated but if both players are available I want them. You can offer other positions at that pick? My off season plan covers most positions IMO but thanks for feedback.

I think Bill O'Brien would have preferred Mahomes to Watson if he was being honest but, at this point Deshaun's success and OB's employment are joined at the hip. The Texan's will try and patch the defense and hopefully make preparations for life after Watson's and Tunsil's extensions. My offseason if I were Billy O:

2) Own free agents: Bring back McCarron, Fairbairn, Addae, Weeks, Gaines, and Reader
4) Draft:
2.57: Darrell Taylor: I am expecting a rise in his draft stock after the combine. We just hired his position coach from Tennessee, so there is familiarity there. Could be a steal.
3.72: Denzel Mims: Deep threat insurance for Fuller and/or Stills in free agency next season. Only there due to the depth at WR in this draft.
4.108: Devin DuVernay: Another receiver, DuVernay becomes our designated slot WR. He is perfectly suited for our WR screen game.
7.240: Gage Cervenka: IOL long on measurables that needs work on technique. Could be a Martin replacement at center down the road or just depth a la Mancz
7.248: Javelin Guidry: Think he an Javaris Davis are both candidates to outplay their draft positions as nickel corners. At worst Guidry is a ST extraordinaire.
7.249: Tanner Muse: Clemson safety with size and speed. May not develop on D but can be a core special teamer.
UDFA: One of Joshua Kelley, Patrick Taylor, James Robinson, Michael Warren, JaMycal Hasty or Javon Leake (whoever is undrafted): Likely to get minimal carries behind David and Duke Johnson.
enjoyed the read but 1. OBrien's future does not have to be connected with QB that might not be able to advance this roster. I get that others disagree and I'm not going down that rabbit hole. lol 2. IIRC it was you who brought trading for David Johnson to board several day ago and most comments including mine was no to the 2019 David Johnson..he's done for. I'm okay with trading Coutee, Fulton and a 4th just not for that guy. 3. I imagine Fairbairn and McCarron will be back but no the the other four unless 4. Reader agrees to a lesser deal than I think he wants. He was a part time Nose tackle who often played as DT who stopped run but didn't disrupt passer. Dunn is now the Nose backed by Vanderdoes and Blackson backed by Omenihu. 5. AJ Bouye has been released and after his first year in Florida started back sliding. He's tackling more but breaking up fewer passes. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BouyA.00.htm

*If we could sign him for his dead $ 4 m this season and $2 2021 I'd set up and take notice. I was huge fan of his from 2014 thru his time with us. Many here thought he had only his final contract year as good..they are wrong.

I like your picks though.

4) Draft:

I would take 3-72 for Fulton/Coutee.

Like your plan.

I would take 3-72 for Fulton/Coutee.

Like your plan.

I think teams would have to see both players as athletes with upside and look past their poor play and injuries to gain a RD3 pick for the pair. I'd be pretty happy to get a RD4 for either of them. At the moment, I think Fulton could probably give the team a RD4 or RD5 and Coutee would be a toss up at a RD5 or RD6.

If Watson was to go to the Redskins for Haskins......a bad deal to me b/c I seriously doubt he would beat out McCarron for the starting job.

If I had the Redskins RD1-02 pick (for Watson) and the Chargers still had their eyes on QB, Justin Herbert (Oregon)....I'd be on the phone and checking to see what they may be willing to pay to make the jump. The Chargers should take that call serious since IMHO, Herbert checks all the boxes in OB's book. So, the Chargers take the deal versus watching their guy go to the Texans.....Texans would fall to RD1-06 and by igniting the 2020 QB frenzy, they could be in position to have EDGE, Chase Young (Ohio St), DT, Derrick Brown (Auburn), or CB, Jeff Okudah (Ohio St) still on the board with a pretty good haul of picks just waiting to be used.

Opti, your thinking is similar to mine however I would point out that Chase Young getting past Detroit number 3 or New York number 4 is highly unlikely although I could see it happening. Detroit could be sold on okuda but regardless One of those two should fall. Giants desperately need offensive tackle but it would be difficult to not select Young. I think that most vet fa QBs will return to their own team resulting in desperation for those needing quarterback. DeShaun Watson value would explode in my opinion.

Opti, your thinking is similar to mine however I would point out that Chase Young getting past Detroit number 3 or New York number 4 is highly unlikely although I could see it happening. Detroit could be sold on okuda but regardless One of those two should fall. Giants desperately need offensive tackle but it would be difficult to not select Young. I think that most vet fa QBs will return to their own team resulting in desperation for those needing quarterback. DeShaun Watson value would explode in my opinion.

Concur. When I stated that the Texans moving Watson for the RD1-02 pick of Washington, then trading it to the Chargers who'd probably be more than happy to make the move if it meant the Texans giving up on Herbert. This scenario could create a panic and have teams calling Detroit to ensure they get their QB......Detroit could cash in as well.

Derrick Brown (Auburn / 6-5 @ 320 lbs) really wouldn't be that bad at #6. Brown is a ready to play in the NFL today player. He instantly makes the DL better and should be someone Watt would be happy to play along side. Draft Brown.....then sign DE, Robert Quinn away from the Cowboys. Quinn had a big season last year.....he'd have a monster season playing on same DL featuring Derrick Brown and JJ Watt.

Concur. When I stated that the Texans moving Watson for the RD1-02 pick of Washington, then trading it to the Chargers who'd probably be more than happy to make the move if it meant the Texans giving up on Herbert. This scenario could create a panic and have teams calling Detroit to ensure they get their QB......Detroit could cash in as well.

Derrick Brown (Auburn / 6-5 @ 320 lbs) really wouldn't be that bad at #6. Brown is a ready to play in the NFL today player. He instantly makes the DL better and should be someone Watt would be happy to play along side. Draft Brown.....then sign DE, Robert Quinn away from the Cowboys. Quinn had a big season last year.....he'd have a monster season playing on same DL featuring Derrick Brown and JJ Watt.
In that scenario would you take Okudah at over Brown?

In that scenario would you take Okudah at over Brown?

I think a dominant front seven on defense can do wonders for the four DB's. I'd start with Brown and take a solid CB in RD2 or RD3......in this scenario the Texans would be working with additional picks.

I will post my draft week mock soon. A 3 round all 32 but will add all Texans picks. It will be a no trade mock although we all realize there will be many trades This year.

Hope to post 100 plus round four and five Texans Sunday. Want to review for duplications and players I may have overlooked.

Back