Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BADBOY'S 2021 cut list

I wonder if the Texans will be eating any of the salary for the restructure. Surprised they could get the trade done but that’s what desperation will do to a team like NYJ!
Almost $2 m now and $8 in 2022. After seeing McKinney renegotiate his contract with dolphins to only three million for this season and then voiding the final two years I wish we'd kept Bernardrick; at least he could tackle.

Almost $2 m now and $8 in 2022. After seeing McKinney renegotiate his contract with dolphins to only three million for this season and then voiding the final two years I wish we'd kept Bernardrick; at least he could tackle.

“ The Texans will take on $1.7 million in dead money this year and $5.3 million in dead money in 2022.”

Definitely not ideal. But on the bright side assuming DW4’s contract gets moved and the cap increases that 2022 hit will be unnoticed.

I would also like to see B Mac at MIKE over Kirksey. But the team made their choice and now we gotta see if Lovie’s evaluation of Kirksey being a better scheme fit (or at least better for the price) works out.

On one hand, it looks like Caserio made a mistake and didn't hold on to Lawson. However, this is another example of @Texian 's issues with Caserio.

Yep, they created a competition and Lawson got beat out. I would rather see this happen rather than holding onto Lawson just because of his contract and not because of his ability. There will be no holding onto Mercilus because of his contract situation by Caserio after this season. Times are definitely changing down on Kirby.

My cuts/trades: 1.Coutee 2. Driskel 3. Burkhead 4. Ingram 5. Lindsay 6. Andre Roberts 7. Taywan Taylor 8. Auclair 9. Toner 10. Froholdt 11. Isadora 12. Lane Taylor 13. Carson Green 14. Shaq Lawson 15. Jaleel Johnson 16. Tae Davis 17. Joe Thomas 18. Cornell Armstrong 19. Hargreaves 20. Shyheim Carter 21. Tavierre Thomas 22. Justin McCray 23. Kevin Pierre-Lewis 24.Jordan Steckler

Anthony Miller will be injured and not counted on roster

There will be a lot of fluctuation with guys going on and off PS and cut FAs being brought in for a look see.
So you think the UDFA McCollum from TAMU makes the 53 and becomes our backup center Or is headed to the PS? Haven’t heard much from him.

So you think the UDFA McCollum from TAMU makes the 53 and becomes our backup center Or is headed to the PS? Haven’t heard much from him.
No getting down to back up center, Cole Toner and McCollum have similar negatives in overall size plus lack of knee bend and movement. I have not seen Toner play and McCollum only a few times. The latter is 23 YOA. My discussion with myself was that neither should be on the roster. I do not see a backup center unless it is perhaps Sharpie as I had posted elsewhere.

Edit I could see both being cut and a free agent brought in

No getting down to back up center, Cole Toner and McCollum have similar negatives in overall size plus lack of knee bend and movement. I have not seen Toner play and McCollum only a few times. The latter is 23 YOA. My discussion with myself was that neither should be on the roster. I do not see a backup center unless it is perhaps Sharpie as I had posted elsewhere.

Edit I could see both being cut and a free agent brought in
That was where I was going to go with this. McCollum clearly didn’t fit the profile for a Texans center. I wouldn’t put him on the PS either.

He was so over rated here. If you want him you can have him the dolphins just cut him. He’s terrible let him go somewhere else.

Was surprised to see Tae Davis cut. I see his spot possibly upgraded on the waiver wire. Wouldn’t be surprised at same for Howell’s spot too. I think Hargreaves should be worrying. At DC’s presser today when asked if he’s comfortable starting Hargreaves at Roby’s spot he only said he’s comfortable with whoever they start there…

Yep, they created a competition and Lawson got beat out. I would rather see this happen rather than holding onto Lawson just because of his contract and not because of his ability. There will be no holding onto Mercilus because of his contract situation by Caserio after this season. Times are definitely changing down on Kirby.
Whitney is still on the roster. They could've cut Mckinney and saved 5m vs paying 7m for Lawson and a 6th rd pick.

Whitney is still on the roster. They could've cut Mckinney and saved 5m vs paying 7m for Lawson and a 6th rd pick.

They ended up losing a 7 mill bet on Lawson but ended up with two 6ths for his trouble. Caserio is creating competition and with this much roster turnover there are going to be some missed. I'm just glad Caserio made the decision to move on and admitted he made a mistake and moved on .

Caserio did the best he could given the circumstances he was given when it came to Mercilus contract. He set it up where he can get out from under the contract after this season.

They ended up losing a 7 mill bet on Lawson but ended up with two 6ths for his trouble. Caserio is creating competition and with this much roster turnover there are going to be some missed. I'm just glad Caserio made the decision to move on and admitted he made a mistake and moved on .

Caserio did the best he could given the circumstances he was given when it came to Mercilus contract. He set it up where he can get out from under the contract after this season.
How did he create competition for a 7m cap hit and swap a 6th? What about just watching the film and cutting the slackers like Mercilus. Remember when Carroll took over Seattle and they had competition Wednesdays? Go and check to see how many trades they had to the point the paid a guy and dumped him to eat salary. Mckinney although I'm not a big fan of was a better player than Lawson and Whitney. Did I mention David Johnson restructure? Couldve cut him and saved 8m vs giving him 4m. I get it, you like Nick, so you're starting the early excuse making. Why not take the hit now, get rid of the salaries that don't match production? 6th and 7th rd picks are easy to come by.

How did he create competition for a 7m cap hit and swap a 6th? What about just watching the film and cutting the slackers like Mercilus. Remember when Carroll took over Seattle and they had competition Wednesdays? Go and check to see how many trades they had to the point the paid a guy and dumped him to eat salary. Mckinney although I'm not a big fan of was a better player than Lawson and Whitney. Did I mention David Johnson restructure? Couldve cut him and saved 8m vs giving him 4m. I get it, you like Nick, so you're starting the early excuse making. Why not take the hit now, get rid of the salaries that don't match production? 6th and 7th rd picks are easy to come by.
Or you could be applauding his pick of Roy Lopez. McKinney was not a match for Lovies D btw... or Miami’s. Still want him? Everywhere I look teams are signing, trading, cutting players. Seems to me it’s not an exact science. Big question is do you think this roster has been put through a much smaller filter than in the last few years? I sure as hell do and it’s about time. If you don’t like watching players come and go you are never going to rest. This roster will be in eternal flux going forward. And these players you want to dump? You have to replace them now through the waiver wire or by trade. Let us know who you think we can replace them with today and at what price. It just can’t all happen at an instant gratification pace.

Who is responsible for those 2nd and 3rd rd picks being cut in NE, Caserio or BB? 🤣
I think those players that have been cut or traded fall under Bob Kraft's admittance that the Patriots last five drafts have been big disappointments. Which BTW happened on Nick Caserio's watch.

Posing an insult in the form of a question doesn't mitigate the insult.
Not an insult. It’s a question. BTW You constantly whack me for everything I post and you have the power to read anything you want to into everything I post and delete it when you want to. when I read your posts, and not just responses to mine, they drip with sarcasm….poorly disguised insults without a doubt.

He took a flier on Lawson and dumped McKinney. It didn't work out. I said at the time I didn't like bringing DJ back but since BOB left the team on the hook for 4 mil re-signing DJ for another 4 mil isn't that big of a deal. They were going to have to pay DJ whether he was on the team or not 4 mil. So I understand the move, although I disagree with the move.

Did you want Caserio to cut/trade everybody that was making money? Cunningham/Tunsil/Cooks etc ..? Good news is most of the the terrible contracts will be off of the books next off-season and the rest will be off the off-season after that. By that time I'm pretty sure that the roster will look completely different and there will be plenty of cap space.

BTW, I love talking football with you rather than all of the sexual assault stuff. We will never agree on that stuff, but I think you will find that we're not far apart on the football stuff.

Steelbtexan as I stated, cut the guys not playing up to their contract. I have no problem with Tunsil, Cooks, and to a certain degree Cunningham. I would've preferred competition at qb with Taylor and a young guy like Trubisky or Rosen and use that 3rd round pick on another position player. After that, everyone else should be like its constructed. Right now, they have dead money on people they shouldn't have dead money for.

That's not the issue. The issue is that Caserio renegotiated Lawson's deal, pushing over $5 million into 2022. Nobody takes fliers on guys with $7 million in guaranteed money. You better know the guy is going to be able to play.

Absolutely no one can be 100% on that type of prediction. If so, there’d be a Golden Unicorn as an NFL GM.

I thought it was a good move to get Lawson…..what I couldn’t have predicted, he’d be out played by the “current” bodies on the roster. On the other hand, Lawson may have played himself off the roster with the hopes of being able to pick a better team as a FA. If he did anything like this….that would suck.

Or you could be applauding his pick of Roy Lopez. McKinney was not a match for Lovies D btw... or Miami’s. Still want him? Everywhere I look teams are signing, trading, cutting players. Seems to me it’s not an exact science. Big question is do you think this roster has been put through a much smaller filter than in the last few years? I sure as hell do and it’s about time. If you don’t like watching players come and go you are never going to rest. This roster will be in eternal flux going forward. And these players you want to dump? You have to replace them now through the waiver wire or by trade. Let us know who you think we can replace them with today and at what price. It just can’t all happen at an instant gratification pace.
As stated, cutting Mckinney made the most sense. Cutting David Johnson makes more sense. Cutting or trading Whitney makes more sense. Never trading for Lindley made more sense.

S
As stated, cutting Mckinney made the most sense. Cutting David Johnson makes more sense. Cutting or trading Whitney makes more sense. Never trading for Lindley made more sense.
so at this point who are the most sensible replacements for these starters? And did you mean Finley or Lindsay?

That's not the issue. The issue is that Caserio renegotiated Lawson's deal, pushing over $5 million into 2022. Nobody takes fliers on guys with $7 million in guaranteed money. You better know the guy is going to be able to play.

I get where you're coming from.

However cap space really isn't going to matter until 2023 at the earliest. The Texans wont be players in FA until then, so pushing $$$$ forward and getting out from under the bad contracts BOB left behind is going to take a couple of yrs to cleanup. Even with this bad contract if Caserio wanted to be a player in FA (Which I hope he isn't in 2022) he could because most of the players he signed this offseason are on 1 yr deals or 2 yr deals at the most.

If Caserio gets this right (And right now I will admit the jury's out) then he should be aming for the 2023 season to return to relevance.

Absolutely no one can be 100% on that type of prediction. If so, there’d be a Golden Unicorn as an NFL GM.

I thought it was a good move to get Lawson…..what I couldn’t have predicted, he’d be out played by the “current” bodies on the roster. On the other hand, Lawson may have played himself off the roster with the hopes of being able to pick a better team as a FA. If he did anything like this….that would suck.
doubt He did. He was cut at Miami I think after one year of a three year deal.

Steelbtexan as I stated, cut the guys not playing up to their contract. I have no problem with Tunsil, Cooks, and to a certain degree Cunningham. I would've preferred competition at qb with Taylor and a young guy like Trubisky or Rosen and use that 3rd round pick on another position player. After that, everyone else should be like its constructed. Right now, they have dead money on people they shouldn't have dead money for.

I like your plan.

The cap space/dead money doesn't bother me and wont until the offseason in 2 yrs because that's how long I think it's going to take Caserio to rebuild the roster. The books need to be cleaned of ALL of the dead money by the 2023 offseason though.

2nd oldest roster in the NFL

Most will be gone if they dont produce next yr. Also this really isn't surprising since they didn;t have 1st/2nd rd picks. I expect there to be much more youth added after next yrs draft. Particularly if they can get a good haul for the POS.

Most will be gone if they dont produce next yr. Also this really isn't surprising since they didn;t have 1st/2nd rd picks. I expect there to be much more youth added after next yrs draft. Particularly if they can get a good haul for the POS.
Actually I’m surprised they aren’t first. They wanted experience from those one year deals for competition reasons. now that the roster has been scrubbed it gets younger Like you say

2022 and 2023 should be the building years for this FO and 2024 should be the season they would get to see how their building is working out. 2021 will be a nothing season b/c Caserio was handed a horrible situation that was going to take time to cleanup. Watson really threw an ugly wrench into this re-build all by himself. The re-build could’ve progressed so much quicker without this albatross hanging over the team.

This team should be full of young players getting playing time so they can be evaluated. Their best pick is going to be their's after the Watson trade. Look at Jacksonville and their roster. They got 2 #1 picks for Ramsey and those picks are bottom 1st. Their own picks are top 5 but they have a load of young guys. The Texans don't have a young core to even extend yet.

I like your plan.

The cap space/dead money doesn't bother me and wont until the offseason in 2 yrs because that's how long I think it's going to take Caserio to rebuild the roster. The books need to be cleaned of ALL of the dead money by the 2023 offseason though.
You lay foundation with young player, not old players.

This team should be full of young players getting playing time so they can be evaluated. Their best pick is going to be their's after the Watson trade. Look at Jacksonville and their roster. They got 2 #1 picks for Ramsey and those picks are bottom 1st. Their own picks are top 5 but they have a load of young guys. The Texans don't have a young core to even extend yet.

They will begin getting their young core next yr. They didn't have draft picks to begin to getting the young players you want. Although Collins/Lopez are a good start considering the lack of draft picks.

Next yr the Texans should have high draft picks and if the trade happens instead of jail time then there will be even more draft picks that should help the rebuild move along much faster. Caserio has to hit on the picks though and who knows if there will be a trade or jail.

Back