Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BADBOY'S 2021 cut list

badboy

Hall of Fame
Too early? Nah..

QB Jeff Driskell so insignificant I keep calling him Mike.
WR Keke Coutee bubble as he has been. Yeah his stats were good but seemed out of position
Slot Anthony Miller
TE Kahale Warring

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Too early? Nah..

QB Jeff Driskell so insignificant I keep calling him Mike.
WR Keke Coutee bubble as he has been. Yeah his stats were good but seemed out of position
Slot Anthony Miller
TE Kahale Warring
Are you talking about the 1st 5 cuts this week, or just who you think is, or you want to be gone?

1st cuts, non of those guys are leaving. I thought it was very telling that Coutee was on the field in the 4th quarter. Tells me he's very on the bubble, hell, very likely gone if there isn't a bunch of injuries. Driskel will stay through at least the 1st 2 cuts simply for the extra camp arm. If they get rid of Miller, man, there goes another wasted draft pick. Warring I could see getting chopped, but maybe not until final cuts.

As for who I want to be gone, no one more than DJ31.I think Phillips is a younger, faster, version of him and with Lindsay, Ingram, and Burkhead all in the mix, I just see no reason to keep 31's slow, washed up ass.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
When are NFL roster cuts in 2021?
53-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, Aug. 31
  • Time: 4 p.m. ET
The NFL's final roster cut deadline will occur at 4 p.m. ET on August 31. At that point, all NFL teams must have no more than 53 players on their active rosters. Currently, teams are allowed to carry up to 90 players.
That said, the NFL has added a couple of extra roster cut deadlines built into the preseason. The league had done away with having multiple sets of roster cuts ahead of the 2017 preseason, but they implemented a cut to 80 during ahead of 2020 training camp — which was largely due to COVID concerns. Evidently, the NFL liked that cut enough to keep it around, albeit in a different form.

This year, the league will have teams cut five players from their roster on two occasions before the final cut to 53. After Week 1 of the preseason, teams will have to trim their rosters down to 85. After Week 2, they'll cut another five players to bring each team's total down to 80.
Here's when those two deadlines will come into effect.
85-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, August 17
80-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, August 24
Each of the two pre-final cut deadlines will see roughly 160 players released. The final cutdown will purge 864 players from NFL active rosters.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Are you talking about the 1st 5 cuts this week, or just who you think is, or you want to be gone?

1st cuts, non of those guys are leaving. I thought it was very telling that Coutee was on the field in the 4th quarter. Tells me he's very on the bubble, hell, very likely gone if there isn't a bunch of injuries. Driskel will stay through at least the 1st 2 cuts simply for the extra camp arm. If they get rid of Miller, man, there goes another wasted draft pick. Warring I could see getting chopped, but maybe not until final cuts.

As for who I want to be gone, no one more than DJ31.I think Phillips is a younger, faster, version of him and with Lindsay, Ingram, and Burkhead all in the mix, I just see no reason to keep 31's slow, washed up ass.
DJ is a bit of a dead $ hit so he may be on roster. I am hearing that Ingram might be gone by game 1. There has to be someone out there better than Driskel for a qb3. It may end up being Jalen hurts.

badboy

Hall of Fame
When are NFL roster cuts in 2021?
53-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, Aug. 31
The NFL's final roster cut deadline will occur at 4 p.m. ET on August 31. At that point, all NFL teams must have no more than 53 players on their active rosters. Currently, teams are allowed to carry up to 90 players.
That said, the NFL has added a couple of extra roster cut deadlines built into the preseason. The league had done away with having multiple sets of roster cuts ahead of the 2017 preseason, but they implemented a cut to 80 during ahead of 2020 training camp — which was largely due to COVID concerns. Evidently, the NFL liked that cut enough to keep it around, albeit in a different form.

This year, the league will have teams cut five players from their roster on two occasions before the final cut to 53. After Week 1 of the preseason, teams will have to trim their rosters down to 85. After Week 2, they'll cut another five players to bring each team's total down to 80.
Here's when those two deadlines will come into effect.
85-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, August 17
80-man roster deadline
  • Date: Tuesday, August 24
Each of the two pre-final cut deadlines will see roughly 160 players released. The final cutdown will purge 864 players from NFL active rosters.
Yep but teams can cut players at any time and I expect to see several in the next 3 weeks

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Agreed on most of this,

Miller was just a pick swap, Miller and a 5th for the Bears 7th. Too bad Miller got hurt. This shouldn't make or break the Texans.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
And when and how do you expect the Texans to acquire the Eagles Jalen Hurts ?
The following is not to discuss Watson's perceived value or if he will be traded at some point; just some info on players I have researched and like. Also not saying how many would be included in a swap.

Philly has two round ones and two round twos with one of these converting to a first if..

QB Jalen Hurts in his second season after an average rookie outing. People in Philly split on whether his fault or poor receiving corps. Philly attempted to resolve this drafting in round 1:

WR Devonta Smith 2020 Heisman

OG/Center Landon Dickerson

DE/LB Edge Derek Barnett 6'3" 259 25 YOA in year 5 at $10 m base; saving $10 m

Denver has one round one

Edge Bradley Chubb 6'4" 275 6-24-1996 2021 base $.9 m 2022 year 5 $12.716

CB Patrick Surtain 6'2" 202

LDE Dre'Monte Jones 6'3" 281 24 YOA undrafted with 2 years left $.876 & $1 m

WR Jerry Jeudy

RB Jevonte Williams

Detroit has two round ones

OT Penei Sewell 6'6" 330 10-9-2000

CB Jeff Okudah 6'1" 202 2-2-1999

RB D'Andre Swift 5'9" 215

RDE Levi Onwuzurkie 6'3" 288 3-22-1998

Carolina has one round one

WR Terrace Marshall 6'3" 200 6-9-2000

RB Chuba Hubbard 6' 208 6-11-1999

RG Deonte Brown 6'4" 350

Safety Jeremy Chinn 6'2" 220 2-26-1998 2020 allowed 41 of 55 targets; 117 Ts 2 for loss;
5 QB hits; 1 sack; 2 forced fumbles for 45 yards; 2 TDs

C B Troy Pride 5'11" 195 1-19-1998

badboy

Hall of Fame
Doc's recent note on wide receiver Coulter being cut verifies my opinion of the guy. I was hoping that he would have a resounding game next week against the Cowboys or he would be on my list to cut.

It is time to move some of these guys out and give others a shot. Also hopefully this will shake up some of those that have been around a season for more.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Doc's recent note on wide receiver Coulter being cut verifies my opinion of the guy. I was hoping that he would have a resounding game next week against the Cowboys or he would be on my list to cut.

It is time to move some of these guys out and give others a shot. Also hopefully this will shake up some of those that have been around a season for more.
He was 1 off 11 WRs.............additionally the neck issue that dogged him last year is not entirely in the rearview mirror.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
DJ is a bit of a dead $ hit so he may be on roster. I am hearing that Ingram might be gone by game 1. There has to be someone out there better than Driskel for a qb3. It may end up being Jalen hurts.
Hearing it where?

badboy

Hall of Fame
It’s after June 1st, shouldn’t be too bad.

That wouldn’t be very smart. Ingram is our best option on 3rd & 1. Maybe our only real option.
Nope same $4.25 dead. If traded $3m dead.

Perhaps the thinking is he is not best on team this season

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Wasn't washed up pre Covid.
225 yards in 6 games. The Ravens (where Culley coached) knew he was done and benched him before Ingram got COVID 19. It will be malpractice to keep Ingram over a RB like Phillips (or a RB on the wavier wire) that still has a future in this league.

Dejaview

All Pro
225 yards in 6 games. The Ravens (where Culley coached) knew he was done and benched him before Ingram got COVID 19. It will be malpractice to keep Ingram over a RB like Phillips (or a RB on the wavier wire) that still has a future in this league.
Wtf. Malpractice? Explain.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If rodrick Johnson has come off of covid list and been cut
This doesn't surprise me as he doesn't seem to be included in any rotation of oline I've seen. IIRC he was waived at one point in 2018 or 19. After three years he has not shown much despite my hope for him.

Dejaview

All Pro
This doesn't surprise me as he doesn't seem to be included in any rotation of oline I've seen. IIRC he was waived at one point in 2018 or 19. After three years he has not shown much despite my hope for him.
So Roderick got cut. With 30 or so cuts still to be made some positions may have some trade value like Crossen. Will be interesting to see if NC can cash in. I’m thinking some of these players on one year contracts could be traded rather than cut?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Young RB with potential >>> Old RB on dead legs
What makes you think Ingram has dead legs?

He should befresh since he didn't play much last yr and he ran well in 2019. Of course I must value things like pass blocking and being able to catch passes more than you obviously do.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Oh I see. Personally I don’t think it’s going to be between Phillips or Ingram. With Hilliard out of the mix I think Howell is on the bubble. I haven’t seen Ingram run yet but we didn’t look very good in short yardage situations last week. If Ingram can still get those yards I don’t know how they could cut him.
I agree. But you also have Burkhead, so we’ll see

Dejaview

All Pro
I agree. But you also have Burkhead, so we’ll see
He’s another issue. Isnt he similar to Lindsay and DJ in terms of being a dual threat? I know Ingram can catch but he’s been getting good camp reviews for his blocking And tough running. I’d like to see a lot of Ingram and Phillips Saturday in the red zone.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He’s another issue. Isnt he similar to Lindsay and DJ in terms of being a dual threat? I know Ingram can catch but he’s been getting good camp reviews for his blocking And tough running. I’d like to see a lot of Ingram and Phillips Saturday in the red zone.
Burkhead is everything but a home run hitter. He can block, he can tough yards, he can catch. With the Patriots he certainly hit his share of home runs. But those were team efforts we most likely won’t see here.

badboy

Hall of Fame
When was the last time we had a running back who was known to be a receiving back who actually received more than just a handful of balls in a Texans season.

badboy

Hall of Fame
David Johnson has averaged 9 yards plus on minimal receptions per Season. I don't understand why that aspect of his game has not been utilized more.

Number19

Hall of Fame
When was the last time we had a running back who was known to be a receiving back who actually received more than just a handful of balls in a Texans season.
I thought we replaced our coaching staff this year. Isn't OB gone, and been replaced by Cully?