Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Backup Quarterback

Right. I think he threw for 30 TDs that year when Robinson was healthy.

Why do people freak out much on who our back up is? IF your starter goes down, you're pretty much fucked. Yeah every now and then a back up comes in and plays real well, but Nick Foles and Tom Brady situations just don't ever happen really but like every 20 years maybe. It just isn't something to have that big of a worry to me. I think Bortles would be an excellent backup especially when your starter is Watson.

Are we no longer filtering anything?

If your QB goes out for the season, yes. If your' QB goes out for a game or 2, you want someone that's not a complete basketcase. That's why people give a shyt.

Yeah, well tell them to wake the **** up. Backup QB's usually aren't guys with great careers unless they're almost 40. Bortles is a guy that just recently lost his job, and would actually be a solid guy to come in for the short term and buy some time on his feet to make some plays, he can scramble for 1st downs, and could likely play small ball pretty well. I like the difference and the change up of dealing with Bortles as a backup. I like it.

Every season is someone's "I told you so" season. LOL

Here's my prediction:

They could get lucky and hit on Roby, sign Verrett and have them stay healthy.

They draft 3 rookie Ol who all hit and a rookie WR and a RB that are really good. That's not too much luck to ask for is it?

A cheap FA WR I hope they look at is Justin Hunter

Yeah, well tell them to wake the **** up. Backup QB's usually aren't guys with great careers unless they're almost 40. Bortles is a guy that just recently lost his job, and would actually be a solid guy to come in for the short term and buy some time on his feet to make some plays, he can scramble for 1st downs, and could likely play small ball pretty well. I like the difference and the change up of dealing with Bortles as a backup. I like it.

Bores sucks.

But you’re right back up an is the least of my worries with this team.

Th for autocorrect to make this partially coherent

Bores sucks.

But you’re right back up an is the least of my worries with this team.

Th for autocorrect to make this partially coherent

He sucks overall, but he's good backup material to me. He's the type that can have short stints of success and get into a rhythm at times. Backup QB's who can especially run and scramble for first downs usually end up being the ones that can come in cause problems for opposing defenses when they have to switch up. A pocket passer is easier to adjust to when he comes in, but a backup like Bortles or a Jeff Garcia type or Sage Rosenfels if you remember can cause all types of confusion in those short term situations where its a game or two or even for a few quarters. Kaepnernick was a ******* nightmare when he first came in for Alex Smith and teams had a horrible time figuring out where to make him uncomfortable. I used to like Tyler Thigpen as a backup as well.

They could get lucky and hit on Roby, sign Verrett and have them stay healthy.

They draft 3 rookie Ol who all hit and a rookie WR and a RB that are really good. That's not too much luck to ask for is it?

A cheap FA WR I hope they look at is Justin Hunter
I like Hunter as that deep threat. Kinda similar how the Steelers got production out of Bryant and Heward Bey

The Raiders just outright released QB, AJ McCarron. I think the Texans should sign him. I've like him from his time at Bama and think he would be a very good addition. I think he's far more affordable than Bortles and fits the QB2 role much better. Bortles may not wrap his mind around being relegated to a QB2 position which could lead to him being a cancer in the long run.

The Raiders just outright released QB, AJ McCarron. I think the Texans should sign him. I've like him from his time at Bama and think he would be a very good addition. I think he's far more affordable than Bortles and fits the QB2 role much better. Bortles may not wrap his mind around being relegated to a QB2 position which could lead to him being a cancer in the long run.

McCarron would be better than Weeden or Bortles. Perhaps Brent Musburger would become a Texan fan.

I'm amazed that some don't think that QB2 is critical. What are the odds that Deshaun plays 100% of offensive snaps? Last year was the first season since 2012 that our starting QB played all 16 games. I love DW4 but with the way he plays and the state of our OL the odds are that we will need QB2 to win a couple of games. We need to sign one before all the decent backups are taken.

I used to hate the idea of RGIII being on a favorite team of mine because of his ego early in his career. That said, I find his attitude to have changed for the better. I think he is the perfect fit for our team as a back up. You never know he might be the next Nick Foles. If he got to play for a solid amount of games he could resurrect his career with another team somewhere the season after next.

I used to hate the idea of RGIII being on a favorite team of mine because of his ego early in his career. That said, I find his attitude to have changed for the better. I think he is the perfect fit for our team as a back up. You never know he might be the next Nick Foles. If he got to play for a solid amount of games he could resurrect his career somewhere the season after next.

I used to hate the idea of RGIII being on a favorite team of mine because of his ego early in his career. That said, I find his attitude to have changed for the better. I think he is the perfect fit for our team as a back up. You never know he might be the next Nick Foles. If he got to play for a solid amount of games he could resurrect his career with another team somewhere the season after next.

His style of play would definitely be in keeping with that of Deshaun’s.

If they had a chance to sign a LT and didn't do it, and a shot at good DB's and didn't take advantage, why should they spend the $$ for a backup QB now? Weeden will do as a backup.

If they had a chance to sign a LT and didn't do it, and a shot at good DB's and didn't take advantage, why should they spend the $$ for a backup QB now? Weeden will do as a backup.

It's frustrating. You have to wonder what Gaine is thinking. You do realize that Weeden is a free agent and could be signed by another team.
I would prefer RG3 or McCarron.

It's about improving the 53, and almost anyone is an improvement over Weed man, he's still a f/a for a reason in Mid-March

Well who knows who billy is eyeing

wouldn't be surprised if he brings back mallet or brock

Weeden, McCarren, or RGIII could all work. RGIII would probably cause the least disruption to the normal game plan.

Many don't remember (Hell, many don't care) that the Bengals drafted Mr. Katherine Webb in the 5th round.
I loved the pick and the above pic. Where was I ??

Oh yeah, picture it 2015, playoffs (one when the Texans weren't knocking them out) and the Steelers were in town for the Wild Card.
Dalton was out (something vaginal) and Mr. Webb helped get them to the post season. After being down 15, Mr. Webb hits AJ Green for the go ahead touchdown under two minutes to go.
Of course, we had a Jeremy Hill fumble and stupid penalties on Burfict and Pacman to seal the loss, but Mr. Webb did his part.

AJ has never been given a chance to start and would probably do well. I think he's a great signing as your #2 QB.
If Watson ever goes down, all is not lost with Kath, er Mr. Webb taking snaps.

While my Bengals managed to change almost the entire coaching staff, they still place their thumbs firmly up their butt in free agency.
Great philosophy to win through the draft. After 50+ years they have it all down, except the winning part.
Maybe the next 50 years finds them refining their approach, but I won't hold my breath.

You guys take care and GO TEXANS !!

Many don't remember (Hell, many don't care) that the Bengals drafted Mr. Katherine Webb in the 5th round.

Oh yeah, picture it 2015, playoffs (one when the Texans weren't knocking them out) and the Steelers were in town for the Wild Card.
Dalton was out (something vaginal) and Mr. Webb helped get them to the post season. After being down 15, Mr. Webb hits AJ Green for the go ahead touchdown under two minutes to go.
Of course, we had a Jeremy Hill fumble and stupid penalties on Burfict and Pacman to seal the loss, but Mr. Webb did his part.

AJ has never been given a chance to start and would probably do well. I think he's a great signing as your #2 QB.

While my Bengals managed to change almost the entire coaching staff, they still place their thumbs firmly up their butt in free agency.
Great philosophy to win through the draft. After 50+ years they have it all down, except the winning part.
Maybe the next 50 years finds them refining their approach, but I won't hold my breath.

I saw that game. I thought he did well enough to be given a chance the following year.

Should've signed Taylor. Taylor has over 40 starts, took Bill's to the playoffs, hard worker, similar skillset as Watson.

Mad respect for your commitment to service...thanks for the well wishes.

Back