Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

(Audio) Emmett: ‘Astrodome Will Be Torn Down Or Renovated By Super Bowl’

Anytime you post something which has the word "BoB" in it, which is ALL the time, you're on a rant . . . again. You wouldn't know what 'being objective' was if jumped up and bit you in the ass.

Regarding eriadoc, he doesn't want tax dollars spent on tearing it down. That's fine. But the taxpayers are already pouring 1.5 million down a black hole for the annual maintenance and upkeep. When is that going to end? By just letting it sit there and rotting? I don't think so.

Are you judge and jury of some so called rant police?

You are right they are going to tear it down at the Taxpayers expense. So when you need public services and they are slow or dont show up at all just remember where you wanted your tax $$$$ to be spent.

The county should have never signed off on a deal that gave BoB/HSLR the power to decide whether the Dome should be renovated or give them the power to to make the dome fall in such disrepair that it would have to be demolished. It was really shortsighted thinking on the county officials at the time.

This is not a rant, but I did use the name BoB 1 time in this post. LOL

I'm not angry

He sold Cogen to Enron basically for stock. Then sold said stock just before Enron went just like Lay/Fastow/Skilling did. Only somehow he got away with it. (Guessing he got an inside tip and wasn't prosecuted because he wasn't an employ.)

Anyway, he tripled his $$$$. (Just as he has with the Texans.) Meanwhile most Enron employees lost all of their retirement and had to start new careers late in their lives instead of retiring.

But maybe BoB is just an unbelieveably great businessman, with an immpecable sense of timing.

Okay SBT - one question (the last sentence in the post):

Enron's acquisition of Cogen was announced in late Oct./early Nov. 1998. At that time, Enron stock was around $27 or $28 per share. The deal was stated to have a value of $1.45 Billion (keep in mind this is at a per share value below $30).
The Enron Corporation agreed yesterday to acquire interests in three power plants in New Jersey from the privately held Cogen Technologies for $1.1 billion plus assumed debt of $350 million.
LINK

Over the next three years, Enron stock rose to the upper $80's in late 2000 (or more than triple the price Bob received it at), and then dropped to essentially zero by the end of 2001.

Essentially, based on these values, had Bob sold at the peak, the shares he received for his $1.45 Billion sale would have been worth in excess of $3 Billion.

What makes you believe he sold at the peak as opposed to selling shortly after he divested his firm - well before Enron's stock price was at it's peak?

What I can't figure out is why this has to be done in a single monolithic project with a ridiculous price tag. I'd approach the problem as a series of steps that start with the decision to save it.

Step one following that would be to stabilize the situation and replace the dilapidated exterior so that it ceases to be an eyesore. How much would it cost to simply re-do the exterior in the same smooth silver material that covers Reliant Center and parts of Reliant Stadium?

This stuff
rc01.jpg

Eyesore gone. Attractive building at the center of Reliant Park that no one can complain about accomplished.

Now for step 2 focus on interior demolition. Remove the seating and in fact most everything inside the shell as every plan mentioned to date has suggested. No one outside the Astrodome would even know there was work going on inside. Once the seating is removed you take as much of the interior floor of the dome as possible down to the playing surface level 35' below grade.

How much does it cost to design and build a parking garage? Constructing it inside the Astrodome would at least have the advantage of never being slowed by weather. 2 stories? 3 stories? put enough in to bring the new "floor" of the dome up to roughly ground level.

Inside underground parking for 18-21 acres of cars would remove a lot of cars from the surface lots that are not involved in tailgating. That would free up even more space for tailgaters so don't just think of money made from people who would be parking there. Think of the money people would pay to get more room to tailgate. Think of what you could put in space freed up by those cars.

8-10 games a year (plus playoffs) the party just got bigger and at the same time more convenient for people who just want to get in and go to the game. More people means more money even if they are just staying in the parking lot tailgating all day.

Now you have an empty shell that's got a flat floor with 2-3 levels of parking underneath. It's climate controlled, it's not unattractive from outside, and it contributes something that wasn't there before to offset its expense.

Put something in it. Call it expanded Reliant Center space and put nothing in it if you like. At this point there's no need to rush to decide what to do with it. It can be used for events as is.

What I can't figure out is why this has to be done in a single monolithic project with a ridiculous price tag. I'd approach the problem as a series of steps that start with the decision to save it.

Step one following that would be to stabilize the situation and replace the dilapidated exterior so that it ceases to be an eyesore. How much would it cost to simply re-do the exterior in the same smooth silver material that covers Reliant Center and parts of Reliant Stadium?

This stuff
rc01.jpg

Eyesore gone. Attractive building at the center of Reliant Park that no one can complain about accomplished.

Now for step 2 focus on interior demolition. Remove the seating and in fact most everything inside the shell as every plan mentioned to date has suggested. No one outside the Astrodome would even know there was work going on inside. Once the seating is removed you take as much of the interior floor of the dome as possible down to the playing surface level 35' below grade.

How much does it cost to design and build a parking garage? Constructing it inside the Astrodome would at least have the advantage of never being slowed by weather. 2 stories? 3 stories? put enough in to bring the new "floor" of the dome up to roughly ground level.

Inside underground parking for 18-21 acres of cars would remove a lot of cars from the surface lots that are not involved in tailgating. That would free up even more space for tailgaters so don't just think of money made from people who would be parking there. Think of the money people would pay to get more room to tailgate. Think of what you could put in space freed up by those cars.

8-10 games a year (plus playoffs) the party just got bigger and at the same time more convenient for people who just want to get in and go to the game. More people means more money even if they are just staying in the parking lot tailgating all day.

Now you have an empty shell that's got a flat floor with 2-3 levels of parking underneath. It's climate controlled, it's not unattractive from outside, and it contributes something that wasn't there before to offset its expense.

Put something in it. Call it expanded Reliant Center space and put nothing in it if you like. At this point there's no need to rush to decide what to do with it. It can be used for events as is.

You simply are just throwing around ideas as though they are feasible. If this plan was in anyway a profitble possible venture it would more than likely be in the works. Reskinning and rebuilding the dome from the inside out would seem to be too big of a risk

Regarding eriadoc, he doesn't want tax dollars spent on tearing it down. That's fine. But the taxpayers are already pouring 1.5 million down a black hole for the annual maintenance and upkeep. When is that going to end? By just letting it sit there and rotting? I don't think so.

Minor clarification - I don't want tax payer dollars spent tearing it down if it's just going to be handed over to a private entity for private profit. I'm OK with spending tax payer dollars to tear it down and either leave it empty (not preferable) or build something that pays back the tax payers (even a parking lot). What I suspect will actually happen is it'll be turned into parking for Reliant and Bob will get a huge chunk of the proceeds. And I am against THAT.

You simply are just throwing around ideas as though they are feasible. If this plan was in anyway a profitble possible venture it would more than likely be in the works. Reskinning and rebuilding the dome from the inside out would seem to be too big of a risk

You're making the assumption that if it would work someone certainly would have already proposed it. If the principles aren't interested in anything but a parking lot then why would they suggest anything like this? All I've seen over the years have been grandiose ideas that hadn't a hope in hell of being approved by voters. I've yet to see anyone propose something as modest as a half parking garage, half expansion to Reliant Center slash replacement for Reliant Arena.

So far it's been swing for the fences regardless of whether it makes sense or just tear it down. I don't think that's working. Nobody has come up with a homerun/money-machine idea and they aren't going to because it isn't there.

On the other hand the George R. Brown isn't getting any bigger.... ever. It's pretty much hemmed in and all across the country people are building bigger, more amazing convention centers to compete for big-dollar events. Reliant Center is already big but Reliant Center plus the Reliant Astrodome is on another level entirely.

It could keep getting used by the HLS&R as exhibition space. They could move the entire carnival indoors for the whole run of the rodeo if they wanted to.

It could be used by the Texans as indoor event space during games

If we're going to tear something down in Reliant Park lets make it Reliant Arena and not the Astrodome.

You're making the assumption that if it would work someone certainly would have already proposed it. If the principles aren't interested in anything but a parking lot then why would they suggest anything like this? All I've seen over the years have been grandiose ideas that hadn't a hope in hell of being approved by voters. I've yet to see anyone propose something as modest as a half parking garage, half expansion to Reliant Center slash replacement for Reliant Arena.

So far it's been swing for the fences regardless of whether it makes sense or just tear it down. I don't think that's working. Nobody has come up with a homerun/money-machine idea and they aren't going to because it isn't there.

On the other hand the George R. Brown isn't getting any bigger.... ever. It's pretty much hemmed in and all across the country people are building bigger, more amazing convention centers to compete for big-dollar events. Reliant Center is already big but Reliant Center plus the Reliant Astrodome is on another level entirely.

It could keep getting used by the HLS&R as exhibition space. They could move the entire carnival indoors for the whole run of the rodeo if they wanted to.

It could be used by the Texans as indoor event space during games

If we're going to tear something down in Reliant Park lets make it Reliant Arena and not the Astrodome.

Is said it someone thought they could make money off of it it would be in the works. Dont sit here and act like the dome has gone unused to a year or two its been a while that nothing has happend

Is said it someone thought they could make money off of it it would be in the works. Dont sit here and act like the dome has gone unused to a year or two its been a while that nothing has happend

I've said many times over the past decade that I believe the reason the dome has been sitting unused is that the intent has always been to demolish it but the political courage necessary to step up and say "We're tearing it down" has been lacking.

I don't think that anyone in office has wanted to go out in the open and lead the charge to demo the dome so it sits. I don't think that anyone in a position to do anything about it has any interest in an affordable and modest plan to use the facility. That's what I think. That's all I'm saying.

No

And did BoB profiteer off of Enron, while others lost their shirts? I just have compassion for the peons when it comes to the Enron fiasco. My grandfather taught math to the guy who created the Forney perpetual loop, that created the California blackouts.

Are you saying for sure there was no insider trading, although it seemed to be the order of the day at Enron?

I dont see discussing this topic as a rant. I'm just saying anybody that had upper level access isn't lily white as BoB appears to be. But to each his own.

From Forbes magazine...
Bob McNair celebrated the best year ever for his NFL team as the Houston Texans went 12-4 in the regular season. He and his partners paid $700 million for the expansion team a decade ago. Forbes ranks the Texans as the 5th most valuable football team, worth $1.3 billion; McNair owns the vast majority. He made his fortune selling power plant operator Cogen Technologies to Enron in 1999, and he still owns stakes in a couple power plants. The Robert and Janice McNair Foundation funds college scholarships for kids in his home state of North Carolina; in 2007 he donated $100 million to Baylor College of Medicine in Houston to attract top-notch doctors.

Enron went under in 2001. McNair sold an energy company that ran power plants (he still owns some in NY state) to Enron two years before they collapsed. And McNair used that money to attract other investors so he could get an NFL team back in Houston.

You're timing is way off on this one SteelB.

but maybe this article will make you feel better...

The NFL is filled with fat cat owners who have gotten rich on the backs of their football teams like Jerry Jones and Dallas Cowboys. Others have built their empires through outside means like Paul Allen and Microsoft. By our count there are 15 NFL owners with net worths of at least $1 billion.
Not surprisingly, these owners overwhelmingly funnel their political contributions to candidates in the Republican Party according to a new study by the Center for Responsive Politics that looked at contributions of NFL owners, players and coaches.

Leading the way is Houston Texans owner Robert McNair who made his fortune when he sold power operator Cogen Technologies to Enron in 1999. McNair, worth $1.5 billion, contributed $215,200 to Republican political candidates since January 2009. Democrats got nothing. Led by McNair, the Texans are the most politically active team with total contributions of $293,100. A couple of Texans broke ranks from the boss with $5,800 steered towards Democratic candidates.

...hell, now *I* may have to find a new team
:D

Here's a deconstructionist view of the Astrodome built on old swamp land (not desert as it may appear), as seen in late 1963 before the exoskeleton was covered.

Astrodome5.jpg

From Forbes magazine...

Enron went under in 2001. McNair sold an energy company that ran power plants (he still owns some in NY state) to Enron two years before they collapsed. And McNair used that money to attract other investors so he could get an NFL team back in Houston.

You're timing is way off on this one SteelB.

but maybe this article will make you feel better...

...hell, now *I* may have to find a new team
:D

When did he sell the stock he received from the sell of his company? When did upper management at Enron realize the company was going down the tubes? I would love to know the time frame that BoB sold his stock, Lay sold his stock, Fastow, Skilling ect...

No need to find a new team, too much is already invested in this one.

When did he sell the stock he received from the sell of his company? When did upper management at Enron realize the company was going down the tubes? I would love to know the time frame that BoB sold his stock, Lay sold his stock, Fastow, Skilling ect...

According to Forbes, he sold the stock right away (meaning at about a third of it's ultimate peak).
Sold Cogen Technologies to Enron for $1.5 billion in cash and stock at peak of tech bubble; avoided exposure to free-falling market, Enron bankruptcy by selling stock right after deal closed. Used cash to become hometown hero; brought football back to Houston in 2002 NFL expansion. Stake in Houston Texans worth $618 million today. Team's home commands the priciest naming rights in U.S. sports: Reliant Energy paid $300 million in 2000 to call stadium Reliant Park for 30 years. Horseman sold Kentucky's Stonerside Stables to Dubai's Sheik Mohammed last year.
link

http://www.time.com/time/interactive/0,31813,2013797,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2021097_2023262,00.html

this Wiki piece is really in-depth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron_scandal

The web is full of Enron articles and disections on how it all went down. There are waaay more references/connections to Dick Chaney and Dubya than McNair. I went thru half a dozen of them and no where is there even a mention of the company McNair sold to Enron. Bob sold power plant assets to Enron in 1999. Enron started to completely unravel in 2001.

You were off base on this one and its time to just admit one of the main reasons you had to hate Bob has no factual basis. There were YEARS between Bobs sale and Enron's demise

You were off base on this one and its time to just admit one of the main reasons you had to hate Bob has no factual basis. There were YEARS between Bobs sale and Enron's demise

He knows good and well that he has no factual basis for any of it. He's just concocting a bunch of BS because he knows himself how silly it makes him look to constantly hate on McNair all because McNair doesn't happen to be running the team the way HE wants it to be run.

He knows good and well that he has no factual basis for any of it. He's just concocting a bunch of BS because he knows himself how silly it makes him look to constantly hate on McNair all because McNair doesn't happen to be running the team the way HE wants it to be run.

What does that have to do with the Astrodome thingy. One of the former Enron employee told me that McNair was in deep with the scum at Enron. I believed him. Facts appear to be different.

As far as running the team goes if you mean putting the best product possible on the field at all times is how I would like to see the team run you are correct sir.

What does that have to do with the Astrodome thingy. One of the former Enron employee told me that McNair was in deep with the scum at Enron. I believed him. Facts appear to be different.

As far as running the team goes if you mean putting the best product possible on the field at all times is how I would like to see the team run you are correct sir.

I knew there had to be an employment angle to your anger. "An employee told me" I'm sure a lot of the same assumptions on their part and certainly not jaded at all

We drove by the Astrodome last Sunday and my wife had a good question: Why don't they pressure wash it?

Seriously, that alone would improve the look of it.

We drove by the Astrodome last Sunday and my wife had a good question: Why don't they pressure wash it?

Seriously, that alone would improve the look of it.

Your wife is a smart woman. I've been asking myself that same question since September 8th, 2002 (or technically several months, even a year before that while on jobsite visits).

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Sports-Corp-recommends-converting-Dome-into-4610316.php

Sports Corp. promises 'new Dome experience'

Saying none of the 19 privately submitted ideas for repurposing the Astrodome met the required criteria, Harris County Sports and Convention Corp. officials said they will recommend converting the Dome into a massive convention and exhibition space, promising "a new Dome experience."

"We feel we have the best idea," Sports Corporation Executive Director Willie Loston said. "That idea is a space that will allow many of the ideas that the proposals brought forward to take place."

Under the $194 million plan being recommended by the Sports Corp., the seating would be removed and the existing below-ground portion of the stadium would be filled in to create a street-level exhibit space of 355,000 square feet. The exterior of the structure would transformed into "an inviting green plaza," officials said.

The proposal will be officially presented to Harris County Commissioners Court at its June 25 capital improvement projects meeting, though Harris County Ed Emmett's office issued a statement saying sports corporation officials have briefed court members throughout the selection process.

In a statement released during the meeting, Emmett praised the sports corporation's plan.

"The concept is excellent," Emmett said. "It not only preserves an iconic structure, but it gives Houston and Harris County a truly unique and historic venue for conferences and events. Meeting planners around the world will want to use the space."

In order to be considered, privately submitted proposals had to include private funding, must be compatible with lease agreements with the Houston Texans and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, as well as the master plan of the Reliant Park complex. None of the ideas submitted by private groups or individuals met those criteria, Loston said.

Loston previously had said that some of the submissions were little more than ideas, while a few appeared to be professionally developed proposals.

The way it is worded, it does not seem this is going to be strictly "private".............it is not even worded as to assuring that it is not entirely taxpayer funded.

The private funding will be $100 each per commissioner -- funded through kickbacks.

The remaining $193,999,000 will come out of taxpayer's pockets, as will the $100,000,000 in cost overruns.

It does need a bath. I mean, that's what you do with assets that you have invested money in. You maintain them and part of maintaining buildings is cleaning them. You see window washers downtown all the time. That skyline doesn't stay shiny all by itself you know.

Whenever the "Tear it down" folks get together all you hear about is how nasty it is and how bad it looks. Pictures of splitting seat covers and dust covered stuff are everywhere. Old Astroturf stacked in a haphazard manner.

Like anyone intends to keep any of the seats when it's redeveloped? Really? Those are coming out and we all know that. Dust cleans up. Astroturf can be hauled away, sold in pieces to nostalgic football or baseball fans. All those old computers and TV sets that are covered in dust are coming out. Nobody points to dangerous, rusted beams because the building is fine. It's a big cleanup project away from basically looking like its old self.

Pressure wash it or better yet get started on replacing the exterior façade. It does look dated clean or not. If it were wrapped in something that looks like Reliant Stadium and Reliant Center it would be perfect. Clean the roof, get the paint off of the skylights, and actually maintain the damn thing and it won't be the eyesore that so many complain about.

I like this plan. I'm willing to chip in my share to help pay for it. I think it's a good investment.

It does need a bath. I mean, that's what you do with assets that you have invested money in. You maintain them and part of maintaining buildings is cleaning them. You see window washers downtown all the time. That skyline doesn't stay shiny all by itself you know.

Whenever the "Tear it down" folks get together all you hear about is how nasty it is and how bad it looks. Pictures of splitting seat covers and dust covered stuff are everywhere. Old Astroturf stacked in a haphazard manner.

Like anyone intends to keep any of the seats when it's redeveloped? Really? Those are coming out and we all know that. Dust cleans up. Astroturf can be hauled away, sold in pieces to nostalgic football or baseball fans. All those old computers and TV sets that are covered in dust are coming out. Nobody points to dangerous, rusted beams because the building is fine. It's a big cleanup project away from basically looking like its old self.

Pressure wash it or better yet get started on replacing the exterior façade. It does look dated clean or not. If it were wrapped in something that looks like Reliant Stadium and Reliant Center it would be perfect. Clean the roof, get the paint off of the skylights, and actually maintain the damn thing and it won't be the eyesore that so many complain about.

I like this plan. I'm willing to chip in my share to help pay for it. I think it's a good investment.

its very hard to determine how good of an investment it may be due to the total lack of numbers around the idea. You want to keep it partially due to emotional attatchment which is typically a bad way to invest

If the Dome were to be power washed, in order to avoid it quickly returning to its present state, it would require the metal and concrete to be sealed in a separate operation, probably tripling the cost. Removing paint from the roof would require attention to 4,600 separate skylights. Once removed the two layers of plastic sandwiched between the inner and outer glass of each of the glass panels would be burned to a cinder by now and would leave a brown mottled even uglier appearance to the roof. If they were to repaint the roof after stripping it, it would require preparation and two coats of paint just like the original painting process which in 1964 cost $40,000 (for a Dome whose total cost in those days were $35 million.) I believe the costs of doing a basic "cleanup" of the exterior of the Dome could easily creep substantially from the bare power wash in order to make things "acceptable."

Agreed. Sucks that it took all these years to come to the conclusion that they could use it as a space to put events in. That's as detailed as their plan is currently, and people have been saying that since the Astros left the facility.

With the exception of the parking underneath (which I think they really should consider because it would free up so much more space outside for tailgating passes) they basically chose my idea.

Guess they thought it was maybe a little feasible after all.

If the Dome were to be power washed, in order to avoid it quickly returning to its present state, it would require the metal and concrete to be sealed in a separate operation, probably tripling the cost. Removing paint from the roof would require attention to 4,600 separate skylights. Once removed the two layers of plastic sandwiched between the inner and outer glass of each of the glass panels would be burned to a cinder by now and would leave a brown mottled even uglier appearance to the roof. If they were to repaint the roof after stripping it, it would require preparation and two coats of paint just like the original painting process which in 1964 cost $40,000 (for a Dome whose total cost in those days were $35 million.) I believe the costs of doing a basic "cleanup" of the exterior of the Dome could easily creep substantially from the bare power wash in order to make things "acceptable."

It took 48 years to reach its present state. I question your definition of "quickly" in this case.

But that does make me wonder something. When was the last time anyone cleaned the outside of the dome? Have they ever done it? Did they seal it then?

As for the roof I agree, the more things you decide to fix the more money it is going to cost. Since the power washing @ $500,000 was going to cost us each 12 cents (or somewhere in that neighborhood) I think we should go ahead and each pay a full buck to get the deluxe treatment. That way it would last longer.

With the exception of the parking underneath (which I think they really should consider because it would free up so much more space outside for tailgating passes) they basically chose my idea.

Guess they thought it was maybe a little feasible after all.

Nothing is actually done nor would it prove be be cost efficient or a money maker. Dont go tooting your own horn before anything is done

its very hard to determine how good of an investment it may be due to the total lack of numbers around the idea. You want to keep it partially due to emotional attatchment which is typically a bad way to invest

The presence of emotional attachment doesn't preclude a logical desire to see something the taxpayers already have a significant investment in maintained and repurposed to extend its useful life.

What they are proposing appears to me to make the dome an asset and to provide a viable replacement for the space that would be lost should they choose to tear down Reliant Arena. I am guessing that saving the dome probably means that Reliant Arena will be on its way out and that's fine. It's probably a much cheaper structure to remove than the dome.

Doing that would give the Texans and HLS&R the parking and space they crave while putting the events that would have been in the Reliant Arena into the Dome which is closer to Reliant Center and the stadium.

Nothing is actually done nor would it prove be be cost efficient or a money maker. Dont go tooting your own horn before anything is done

Nothing is done. No doubt an election will need to be held to approve financing of some sort. I just said they appear to have chosen the same kind of idea I put forth. I'm going to enjoy just a little horn tooting whether you like it or not.

:bguitar::coolb:

Can't find a smiley with a horn to toot so I'm gonna play some guitar instead.

It took 48 years to reach its present state. I question your definition of "quickly" in this case.

But that does make me wonder something. When was the last time anyone cleaned the outside of the dome? Have they ever done it? Did they seal it then?

As for the roof I agree, the more things you decide to fix the more money it is going to cost. Since the power washing @ $500,000 was going to cost us each 12 cents (or somewhere in that neighborhood) I think we should go ahead and each pay a full buck to get the deluxe treatment. That way it would last longer.

By that calculation, we could all pitch in a mere $71 and get another $300 million dollar stadium.:texflag:

Since the power washing @ $500,000 was going to cost us each 12 cents (or somewhere in that neighborhood) I think we should go ahead and each pay a full buck to get the deluxe treatment. That way it would last longer.

There's a whole slew of things that could be bought if we just "chipped in a buck". Like building some better schools or hiring some more police officers.

Bottom line, is this is going to be put to the voters, asking them to increase their taxes, to do what now? That's a snowball's chance in hell if I ever saw one.

There's a whole slew of things that could be bought if we just "chipped in a buck". Like building some better schools or hiring some more police officers.

Bottom line, is this is going to be put to the voters, asking them to increase their taxes, to do what now? That's a snowball's chance in hell if I ever saw one.

I've seen the voters do stranger things in my time and I'd wager so have you. Until the votes are in I'm not taking anything for granted. I know what I'd like to see and hope I see but I have to agree with 2012Champs about it not being a done deal. That's true either way.

Back