Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

As the new GM

Manning wasn't a top-tier FA. JoJo was 2nd tier to Nnamdi. I think hiring Wade Phillips and drafting JJ Watt contributed more to that success.

JoJo was the 2nd best CB (Who ended up being the best) in that FA class and got paid top $$$$ because of it. Manning was the #1 rated S and got paid like it.

Tiers like Nambdi/JoJo are top tier.

Kind of like Byron Jones/ Chris Harris were top tier last yr and Roby was on the next level below those guys.

JoJo was the 2nd best CB (Who ended up being the best) in that FA class and got paid top $$$$ because of it. Manning was the #1 rated S and got paid like it.

Tiers like Nambdi/JoJo are top tier.

Kind of like Byron Jones/ Chris Harris were top tier last yr and Roby was on the next level below those guys.

I don't want to get into a debate over tiers, as it's subjective. But Nnamdi was the clear top FA corner. You can see it in the difference in contract. Champ Bailey also signed a bigger contract that offseason than JoJo.

Eric Weddle was the top FA safety in 2011, and got a much bigger contract than Manning.

You also ignored my bigger point. Wade & JJ were the bigger acquisitions that offseason.

You could also argue in 2016, Texans signed the top QB and top RB in free agency. Not a good example of being aggressive in free agency equals success.

Or he doesn't think his interim GM is as capable as you do.

& it doesn't matter what Cal thinks of the state of HIS franchise.

Change gone come.

It really doesn't matter what they would've gotten back within reason. This was about clearing cap room/Rollover and whatever you got in trades would've been a bonus.

It absolutely matters what Cal thinks. I cant believe you typed that sentence.

You have been hired as GM. Pick your HC and either as GM or HC map out your plans. Who stays, who goes? What type system on both sides are you running? What are your draft goals? And so on.

I’m probably going with Bienemy.

WCO only b/c there are so many variations of it and b/c it can offset the talent deficit upfront between the guards to allow DW4 to thrive.

I’m switching to a 4-3 pressure heavy scheme. on defense, mercy, Murray, Hargreaves, Gaines and Dunn all go. Try to trade Cunningham for something.

on offense Martin, kelemete both Johnson’s and probably Cobb go.

There’s no way he’s keeping this team together. He can want all day, but deep cuts are coming.

They have to make cuts but I think they don't cut deep enough - they'll be playing for next year instead of building a foundation. From what has been said , Cal thinks this team is better than it is.

Mercilus & McKinney - do you see either of them cut ?

Martin ?

I get the idea they'll work around the fringes and that just won't fix the financial issues.

Is he going to be our HC, or our OC, or our RB coach?

Do you think he can get Greg Williams to be our DC (we’re going to need someone who thinks outside the box)?

i’d tap him for HC.

and with the Gregg Williams thing, I’m sure he could get Willams. If I recall, Williams was just recently fired for that dumb playcall he called against the raiders, so he’s not doing anything right now.

They have to make cuts but I think they don't cut deep enough - they'll be playing for next year instead of building a foundation. From what has been said , Cal thinks this team is better than it is.

Martin ?

I get the idea they'll work around the fringes and that just won't fix the financial issues.

mid Mercy is kept, he’s definitely a restructure candidate. McKinney could be traded, but I could also see him being cut if he won’t restructure.

Martin ?

I believe you’re right about Cal, and if you are right about that and everything else you wrote, there’s not much of a reason to watch the 2021 Texans. At least for me there isn’t.

I believe you’re right about Cal, and if you are right about that and everything else you wrote, there’s not much of a reason to watch the 2021 Texans. At least for me there isn’t.

Cal is not too smart. And he is letting Easterby run alot more than we think. Think back to the SI article. They said that Easterby was doing everything OB was doing except calling plays for the most part. Meaning, I don't think he is thinking about long term. He wants money and I don't know if he is really going through with what he needs to do to make this team work. Many football analysts are talking about the Easterby issue. It seems a few unnamed FO personal from other teams feel Easterby is going to be the reason we can't get a good GM or HC (compared to what we may if he was gone). They think GM and HC candidates are going to pass on Houston. Seeing Easterby has been shown to lie and tell people one thing only to do another. Cal is helping with this too. I have to admit I would not come here if I knew Cal has such faith in Easterby. Rumors are starting to spread the reason OB was fired was not him... but Easterby. Much like players feeling like they were followed and Hopkins being shown the door because of things Easterby was telling Cal. From what it seems Easterby is a snake in the grass waiting to strike if he can get a good spot for taking you out.

mid Mercy is kept, he’s definitely a restructure candidate. McKinney could be traded, but I could also see him being cut if he won’t restructure.

I don't know how they restructure that deal .... he's not going to give up money and stretching the deal out doesn't make a lick of sense.

I think the best option is to trade him prior to June 1 if at all possible , even if you have to pay a portion of his salary to do it.

I don't know how they restructure that deal .... he's not going to give up money and stretching the deal out doesn't make a lick of sense.

I think the best option is to trade him prior to June 1 if at all possible , even if you have to pay a portion of his salary to do it.

Fine, trade him but I don’t know if they’d get much of anything for him if at all.

but Mercy has basically done whatever the Texans have needed him to do. Played wherever they needed him to to get Clowney on the field, played HOW they wanted him to.....to allow Clowney to rush the passer...

So I have no doubt he’d restructure if they approached him to. Restructuring his deal would just be a way for him to stick around with the team for his sake.

Im talking about over the course of the last few weeks of this season. On teams with better rosters perhaps there are guys stuck behind better players in front of them. Of course we need to upgrade our overall talent level.

Ashley has a better defense than the Texans using mainly backup players.

The 2021 NFL draft is in 135 days. Not time to panic yet, but they shouldn't wait until the end of the regular season either before they start going through this roster with a very fine tooth comb. It would be nice if a GM was here sooner rather than later to do that job, since he will be inheriting the issues plaguing this team.

Nothing should be off the table. It would suck to have to completely start over, but they may have to. Minus Roby, every player that signed a contract extension over the last year and a half have bent the Texans FO and ownership over in lopsided, very player friendly deals. And I don't blame them. If your house is on the market for $350,000 and someone wants to give you $700,000, what are going to do; say no? That was BoB and Easterby working with Mercilus, Tunsil, Watson, et al.

Now, I know the Texans can't and won't trade Watson. Mercilus is worthless in a trade scenario. He's not good and he's wildly overpaid. Somebody might be willing to trade for Tunsil and take on his contract, but the Texans would get pennies on the dollar for what it cost the Texans. So...good luck to whoever comes in!

The 2021 NFL draft is in 135 days. Not time to panic yet, but they shouldn't wait until the end of the regular season either before they start going through this roster with a very fine tooth comb. It would be nice if a GM was here sooner rather than later to do that job, since he will be inheriting the issues plaguing this team.

Nothing should be off the table. It would suck to have to completely start over, but they may have to. Minus Roby, every player that signed a contract extension over the last year and a half have bent the Texans FO and ownership over in lopsided, very player friendly deals. And I don't blame them. If your house is on the market for $350,000 and someone wants to give you $700,000, what are going to do; say no? That was BoB and Easterby working with Mercilus, Tunsil, Watson, et al.

Now, I know the Texans can't and won't trade Watson. Mercilus is worthless in a trade scenario. He's not good and he's wildly overpaid. Somebody might be willing to trade for Tunsil and take on his contract, but the Texans would get pennies on the dollar for what it cost the Texans. So...good luck to whoever comes in!

I have a sick feeling due to 1 reason the GM is already here and a good HC is going to be less of a chance due to it. I really think Easterby is going to get the title at least for a year. And him around is going to scare off many HCs and probably has something to do with the chance he will be the GM. Nobody is wanting to work with a guy who you know flat out lies about his credentials. And that's just the start of why many don't trust the guy.

Back