Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Are the Texans now considered contenders?

Mangler

Toro de España
Watching the NFL Network, along with other sports news, and all I keep hearing is that the Texans have made it clear that they’re NOT in “rebuild mode,” and are in fact in “win now” mode. Not exactly news, right?

My question is, did O’Brien make enough moves to get us past the first round of the playoffs, and perhaps at least get us to the AFCCG? I mean, we look better on paper. Seems like the talent is now equally spread out, but is this enough?

(Sorry if this has already been discussed. Had a extremely busy day at the plant.)

Watching the nfl network every analysts looks like they're trying hard not to laugh while discussing our trades today.

Do we look better on paper now? I guess the offense does. But the deals were mismanaged and one sided. We pretty much raped our future drafts for this. Upcoming drafts will be dull because of it.

Two things to consider, our secondary has been void of talent for some time. We've added some this offseason but there are questions as to whether these guys can play. I'm looking at RAC make football players out of these athletes, but nothing is guaranteed.

Then Watson. Time for the kid to grow up. Too many mental mistakes put him in a bad spot & could get him hurt. I'm not just talking about sacks. He was paat the LOS when he punctured his lung & Joe Webb was 15 yards downfield when he got injured. Then, it still looks like he doesn't read what he should preSnap. I know nobody gets it right every time, but when he gets it wrong he gets it way wrong.

I feel good that this team will turn into a true contender by January.

Boils down to coaching. We haven't seen the creativity and risk taking yet from BOB that you would like to see from a coach that can turn talent into contenders, so there's no reason to expect it. Doesn't mean that it can't happen but he has to prove himself before anyone should put us in that category. I'm pulling for him.

Boils down to coaching. We haven't seen the creativity and risk taking yet from BOB that you would like to see from a coach that can turn talent into contenders, so there's no reason to expect it. Doesn't mean that it can't happen but he has to prove himself before anyone should put us in that category. I'm pulling for him.

Ob as a coach is worth 2 losses per year. As a gm? He's aiming for double digits.

If our secondary manages to be average we will have a shot at winning it all - of course we need to avoid major injuries, DW needs to take the next step, Watt has to be last seasons Watt (or better) and Mercilus needs to be his old self. A lot of ifs, but there are a lot of teams out there that have a worse shot than us. We are the clear favorites in the division and I would put us at top 5 to win the conference.

If the coaching staff can get the OL play to come together, the offense will pick up the slack for the defense that is going to get bent over more than half the Sundays this year. Take a look at the QBs this team faces this year. Yeah, I know Luck retired, but they still have Hilton and the Texans could find a way to lose to Dan Orlovsky at QB (oh wait, they did).

Since the coaching staff has a great track record with coaching up the OL and scheming protections, I'm optimistic.

(I'm not)

Not with that ****-for-brains dildobreath running things.
I’m hopeful that somehow or someway O’Brien can gameplay the way he did for Watson in 2017. Our offensive line should be better now than it was then. He needs to put him in a position to succeed. Screw his little super complex system. Use what worked and build on it! I’m not holding my breath though...

By the way, thanks for that post! Made me LOL!

Only time will tell but as of right now I'm going with no. After 8 games have been played and they have worked out all the kinks. That's when we should be able to determine if this team is a contender or not.

Like Max stated it boils down to coaching and let me add injuries. Obrien has a plethora of weapons to utilize on offense. Hopefully he uses a bit more creativity ( we've seen him get creative when his weapons were healthy) and spread the wealth around. If Fuller stays healthy (big IF) the sky is the limit with this offense. Dude is that important to this offense.

We are going to miss Clowney but I'm confident in RAC ability to have his boys ready. Hopefully our secondary issues have been resolved. And I wish RAC would be more aggressive and blitz more. Bump that bend but don't break crap.

No.

Look at the betting markets to verify. 2% chance to win the super bowl, same as the Jags

And they mortgaged the future to so they won't be anytime soon.

In fact they'll get worse without #1 picks adding talent

Yeah, I think we are definite contenders.....................
for the AFC South CHAMPIONS. Then get our asses kicked by a wild card team, this year.....
In the future with " Do It All Super NFL Executive of the Century BOB" we are definite contenders for 1.1 draft choice every year after he trades
Watson for peanuts. But wait we don't have a first round draft choice.
Oh well WTF.

BO'B will run the team like he is running the front office, south of very poor with no direction. At best a NFL joke at worst just a laughing stock to everyone in and around the NFL. People will continue to fill the seats, and nothing will change.

Two things to consider, our secondary has been void of talent for some time. We've added some this offseason but there are questions as to whether these guys can play. I'm looking at RAC make football players out of these athletes, but nothing is guaranteed.

Then Watson. Time for the kid to grow up. Too many mental mistakes put him in a bad spot & could get him hurt. I'm not just talking about sacks. He was paat the LOS when he punctured his lung & Joe Webb was 15 yards downfield when he got injured. Then, it still looks like he doesn't read what he should preSnap. I know nobody gets it right every time, but when he gets it wrong he gets it way wrong.

I feel good that this team will turn into a true contender by January.
I tend to agree.
It's gonna take time for this unit to gather momentum and cohesion.
If they are still intact injurywise and in the playoffs they should be a dangerous unit by then.

I don’t consider them contenders. Before yesterday I felt their biggest issues were: 1a porous o-line and, 1b inexperience in the secondary. Close behind was lack of a pass rush behind Clowney and Watt.

They improved 1a. They stayed pat at 1b and have a much worse pass rush which will put even more pressure on the secondary.

I still think they are 5 to 7 win team this year. Since yesterday morning the defense is much worse w/o Clowney while the offense is moderately better with Tunsil. Not enough to move the W/L needle one way or another, IMHO. Which I could have lived with if it weren’t for losing all those picks.

The Texans are screwed.

Yes, if we stay reasonably healthy.
Yep healthy. But with all these new toys if OB gets back to DW’s rookie O it could be run on steroids now. This team will be interesting. I’m intrigued to see JJ, Mercilus, and Martin on the field together. There is a little more QB pressure possibility with those three than before.

I think the team is shifting identities. We know them as the conservative ball control cloud of dust play action team. Maybe KC and spread is the future, we now have offensive toys and NEED to open it up more. Will the offense be our identity like in KC? Defense is a supporting role, and ST is balling? Could be a unrecognizable team here, but seems they are changing with the times. I think old school is still solid football, but heh, more fun to watch some of these shootouts

I think the team is shifting identities. We know them as the conservative ball control cloud of dust play action team. Maybe KC and spread is the future, we now have offensive toys and NEED to open it up more. Will the offense be our identity like in KC? Defense is a supporting role, and ST is balling? Could be a unrecognizable team here, but seems they are changing with the times. I think old school is still solid football, but heh, more fun to watch some of these shootouts

Yeah maybe Year 6 is the year we get an identity.

Texans can now go 4WR with Hopkins - Fuller - Stills - Coutee and have Duke Johnson motion all over the place. Good luck stopping this once everyone is on the same page.

I do think there is a serious level of danger that could be created out of that group looking at it on paper. No doubt about that. I worry more about OB under achieving with it especially in the late part of the season. But yeah if they all got on the same page they've got a nucleus of talent as far as the skill players go.

IF we had a wet poptart at HC I would be a lot more leaning to say yes, but because we lack a soggy toaster pastry and instead have OB I have to lean no.

Could we win the division and get routed again... absolutely, but a true contender to do anything, I gotta say no.

They should be favored to win the division with the moves made yesterday. They are all in for this season for better or for worse. Whether they go beyond hanging up another AFC South title banner though...

They should be favored to win the division with the moves made yesterday. They are all in for this season for better or for worse. Whether they go beyond hanging up another AFC South title banner though...

They aren't. They are 2/1 along with the Jags.

Interested to see how the new additions look before OB has time to think how to use them. He does his best coaching when he doesn't have time to prepare!
Right! That’s what gives me a little bit of hope. If he runs the playbook he used for Watson in 2017, we’re in for a treat. History says he’ll try to get cute and not use all those weapons in the best way possible. Here’s hoping for the best!

Will BO be doing the playcalling this year?
Good question! From what I’ve gathered in different interviews, I’d say no. O’Brien is letting Kelly game plan in the film room/walk throughs but that’s about it.

Right! That’s what gives me a little bit of hope. If he runs the playbook he used for Watson in 2017, we’re in for a treat. History says he’ll try to get cute and not use all those weapons in the best way possible. Here’s hoping for the best!
I disagree.

I think the pieces are finally in place for OB to effectively run his offense. We have the receivers, the TE's, the OL, the RB's and finally the young QB going into his 3rd year. This is the year we're going to see it all come together.

I disagree.

I think the pieces are finally in place for OB to effectively run his offense. We have the receivers, the TE's, the OL, the RB's and finally the young QB going into his 3rd year. This is the year we're going to see it all come together.
This is what we've all been waiting for. We should be a fun team to watch and could surprise a lot of people this year. I wouldn't bet against us. Then again, I wouldn't bet on us either.

Back