Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre & the Hall Of Fame

JWTexans

Waterboy
He definitely deserves it. I’ve seen a number of fans from other team (outside of the division incidentally), that say he doesn’t belong. TD numbers are low and such. Those people must have never watched Dre. The man was absolutely unguardable and if he had decent QB play outside of Schaub for a few seasons, his numbers would’ve rivaled any.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
There had been a logjam at the WR position to get into the HOF for years going way back to Andre Reed/Cris Carter in like 2013. Over the last 4-6 years it looking like they’re trying keep pace now.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
It is important for the NFL to have all teams represented in the HOF.

Following his comments about wasted careers in Houston recently, I can see the Texans working hard to bring him back on board.

Who knows how things stand with JJ Watt behind the scenes, there is a way that prospective players could see that we’ve wasted act 1 of Watson’s career.

Closer association with the Texans will help Dre as he really was a one club man right up until a last couple of paychecks.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It is important for the NFL to have all teams represented in the HOF.
I agree with you and also why I think the Jags Tony Basseli (spelling ?) should have been voted into the Hall by now, and BTW like our guy he was also one of the best at his position for awhile during his career.
Truth is there's probably so much politics in the HOF selection process there's lots of guys in who aren't worthy and also many
who are worthy but aren't and will never be HOF members.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If anyone knows that TD stats aren't everything, it's HOF voters. I expect AJ to get in easily.
it’s guys from the press who present cases for guys who get in. John McClain is typically there making the cases for all the old Oilers and will probably be tapped to make AJ’s case.

I too think it’ll be tough for him to get in on the 1st go round b/c Cris Carter didn’t and there are at least 3 other guys who deserve to get in this class; Steve Smith, Tory Holt and Reggie Wayne….all of which had better careers than AJ.

There always seem to be a lil sentimental value regarding AJ, not just with us Texans fans but NFL fans in general. He had hella talent but was on a bad to mediocre team for most of his time in Houston. That could work in his favor as he also had a respect aura about him in league circles. However, as Mr Tex stated there are other WRs that had better careers or more impact. I would be thrilled for him if he made it first ballot but it may not be his time yet.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
He definitely deserves it. I’ve seen a number of fans from other team (outside of the division incidentally), that say he doesn’t belong. TD numbers are low and such. Those people must have never watched Dre. The man was absolutely unguardable and if he had decent QB play outside of Schaub for a few seasons, his numbers would’ve rivaled any.
WRs are tuff sells at times. I hope he gets in he deserves it. But so did other WRs (nat named Rice) and took multiple nominations over the years to get in

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
There always seem to be a lil sentimental value regarding AJ, not just with us Texans fans but NFL fans in general. He had hella talent but was on a bad to mediocre team for most of his time in Houston. That could work in his favor as he also had a respect aura about him in league circles. However, as Mr Tex stated there are other WRs that had better careers or more impact. I would be thrilled for him if he made it first ballot but it may not be his time yet.
Not with this Texans fan. AJ was a great NFL football player and very worthy of HOF memebership, but I'm afraid we are gonna need to
exercise patience.

JWTexans

Waterboy
it’s guys from the press who present cases for guys who get in. John McClain is typically there making the cases for all the old Oilers and will probably be tapped to make AJ’s case.

I too think it’ll be tough for him to get in on the 1st go round b/c Cris Carter didn’t and there are at least 3 other guys who deserve to get in this class; Steve Smith, Tory Holt and Reggie Wayne….all of which had better careers than AJ.
All of which also had far better teams, coaches, and most importantly QBs also. If AJ switched spots with any of those players, his numbers are better than theirs and theirs are worse than his here with the possible exception of Steve Smith….. maybe

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
All of which also had far better teams, coaches, and most importantly QBs also. If AJ switched spots with any of those players, his numbers are better than theirs and theirs are worse than his here with the possible exception of Steve Smith….. maybe
irrelevant. What’s on paper can’t be changed. He should get in eventually…but those guys will most likely get in 1st for what’s on paper.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
irrelevant. What’s on paper can’t be changed. He should get in eventually…but those guys will most likely get in 1st for what’s on paper.
Exactly. Sterling Sharpe was amazing, all but put GB on his back a few times. Won a few SBs...yet still isn't in. Chris Carter should have been 1st ballot. Took 6 nominations to get in.

Exactly. Sterling Sharpe was amazing, all but put GB on his back a few times. Won a few SBs...yet still isn't in. Chris Carter should have been 1st ballot. Took 6 nominations to get in.
Sterling is one of my favorite players (even going back to South Carolina) but he never won any SBs. I do think his contributions on the field should get the same look that got Gale Sayers into the HOF

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep. It should be a lesson to elite players that loyalty to terrible franchises is ultimately a lost cause.

Play out the contract and possible franchise tags, and then pick your destination that'll still pay you millions of dollars to play a game.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Yep. It should be a lesson to elite players that loyalty to terrible franchises is ultimately a lost cause.

Play out the contract and possible franchise tags, and then pick your destination that'll still pay you millions of dollars to play a game.
Exactly. A player's career is short. Don't have time to dick around waiting for a dumbass owner to figure out how to be less of a dumbass.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Stop it please. AJ’s career being what it was is as much a fault of him as it is the Texans. Reality is these guys are so hot to sign long term deals for the “security” of their careers, that they often tend to look at everything else 2nd. It also doesn’t go along with the ego of these guys b/c most think “I’m the difference” in terms of turning around bad teams/franchises.

If they were truly about winning and wanting the best career possible, they’d do exactly what DB said…but they’d don’t…because then they’d be taking a huge risk by hoping they don’t get seriously injured before they sign what will most likely be the biggest payday of their short careers. So most times when teams come to them early in year 4 of their rookie deals wanting to get them inked long term they jump at it. AJ was no different in this regard…but then he screwed himsrlf over by letting his uncle sign him to a bad deal…the Texans showed good faith by redoing it like a year later when they didn’t have to.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Stop it please. AJ’s career being what it was is as much a fault of him as it is the Texans. Reality is these guys are so hot to sign long term deals for the “security” of their careers, that they often tend to look at everything else 2nd. It also doesn’t go along with the ego of these guys b/c most think “I’m the difference” in terms of turning around bad teams/franchises.

If they were truly about winning and wanting the best career possible, they’d do exactly what DB said…but they’d don’t…because then they’d be taking a huge risk by hoping they don’t get seriously injured before they sign what will most likely be the biggest payday of their short careers. So most times when teams come to them early in year 4 of their rookie deals wanting to get them inked long term they jump at it. AJ was no different in this regard…but then he screwed himsrlf over by letting his uncle sign him to a bad deal…the Texans showed good faith by redoing it like a year later when they didn’t have to.
I agree with you, which is why I said it should be a lesson, even though none of these guys really learn it.

However, that said, I think a lot of these players truly want and believe that they can win championships with the teams that drafted them. There is a human aspect to the emotional attachment that players form to their first franchise.

I honestly think AJ (and JJ) were in this category, that they really wanted to help bring a Lombardi trophy to a city and fan base that has never had one and desperately wants it.

I'm not faulting guys either way. As fans, we have the luxury of saying crap that has no impact or influence on a damn thing. lol

austins23

Hall of Fame
Want to see how a HOF WR can dominate a game?

AJ's best game
I was at that game. I just kept thinking, Wow! Couldn't believe Newton got out on the edge and made a block that sprung him. That was kind of hard to watch though, all those receivers running wide open. And they KNEW AJ was getting the ball.

I was at the Texans/Titans game in 2008, I believe, when Andre set the single game record for yards. I was with my dad, our first game together. Really cool moment.
EDIT: yes, it was 2008, the Texans won 13-12 and AJ had 207 yards receiving.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

This game I remember for some reason more vividly than others. AJ put that team on his back and took them as far as he could. He made amazing catches not shown in the highlights. Just hammering away.

This though is the ultimate highlight:

At 1:40 is the throw Schaub makes to AJ and he plows through three different Cardinals players.