Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson Thread

Those crazy trade rumors circulated by ESPN earlier about the Texans being interested in trading Andre Johnson, Tom Savage and their 2015 first-round pick to the Patriots for Tom Brady. As if the Patriots would ever entertain such an offer. If the Texans offered another early pick on top of that (second or third), perhaps Bill Belichick would be open ears considering he's very high on Jimmy Garoppolo. The problem is do we need another Joe Montana to the Chiefs type of story in the NFL? Would an aging Tom Brady win us a Lombardi or two, hypothetically speaking (for the Texans) before he retires? This is like those Peyton Manning to Houston, I don't want to say rumors, as Peyton genuinely had interest in coming to the Texans, - possibilities let's call it- when he was a free agent. If we were eager to chase a ring we'd have done so back then.

It made me wonder though, what about Jay Cutler from the Bears? Seems like the Chicago fan base wants him out of town. Their front office would be wise to at least listen to some trade offers. Would he be an easier fetch in a trade? How would the salaries work? With the trading deadline nearing is there any trade at all that makes sense for the Texans? Without having to give up Andre Johnson of course. I know the Tom Brady to Houston rumors are so far fetched but what about a lesser caliber quarterback like Jay Cutler? I mean granted he is getting paid a superstar contract.

The ESPN link by the way. It was mostly talked about on the radio shows this morning. I'm sure somebody posted it in the NFL sub-forum.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page...patriots-quarterback-tom-brady-houston-texans

Honestly, I don't think Rick Smith has the guts to make a big time move to land us an elite quarterback. There have been ample opportunities in the past. I'd even include the year Schaub got hurt we could have made a phone call to Brett Favre (that never happened). I think if the Texans go 7-9 or worse this season Rick Smith will be fired. I'm still hoping for 10-6.

We could have realistically landed Peyton Manning or Brett Favre and had a legitimate shot to win a Super Bowl ring. We never seem to thrive for excellence. That's the problem with the Texans. Rick Smith doesn't seem to understand the value of a good quarterback. He's been "Matt Schaubitized". Schaub did have a few nice years for us. I'll give him that. But did anybody really have faith that Matt Schaub was the type of quarterback who was going to lead the team to a Super Bowl victory? He was never that type of guy. We rolled with T.J. Yates in the playoffs - he stunk it up at Baltimore in the divisional round - when we could have brought in somebody a heck of a lot better.

The Texans are a poorly run organization. We've gotten lucky with a few drafts (J.J. Watt). Even Andre Johnson way back in 2003. But overall we've had so many wasted picks it's beyond comprehension. This is why we're never going to win a Super Bowl. You can't win it all blowing so many picks. At least until we bring in a GM who knows how to run a draft properly.

I touched on it, on another thread, but look at our 2014 draft class? Our sixth-round pick has been the best of the bunch so far. We had guys taken high in the 2013 draft (3rd, 4th round picks) that aren't even on the roster anymore. The Texans need a guy at the top - a real leader in the front office - who knows how to run a successful franchise.

I feel so bad that Andre Johnson never had the opportunity to play with a Super Bowl winning type of quarterback. He's played with terrible quarterbacks other than Schaub for a few seasons. Schaub at his best, when he made two pro bowls and led the league in passing yardage, was likely a second-tier quarterback but never elite.

For ten years he's been trying to "continue to get better" (Fitz).

Anyone still waiting for progress on that front is waiting in vain.

Andre Claus, again...

B33h79sCIAAXCQi.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B33h79sCIAAXCQi.jpg:large

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
How many toys can you grab in 80 seconds?

$16,266 dollars worth, apparently...

#AndreClaus: http://bit.ly/1zenzoS
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Really cute: a tiny little girl snuck up to the stage while everyone was opening their gifts to read Johnson a thank you letter she wrote.

HT.com Video

Pretty long interview, especially for Dre. But they asked him some good questions & he gave honest answers.

I'm hoping, before it all ends, that someone can talk Andre into doing a "Leon" like interview with a straight face, I think it would be hilarious.

8 more catches until 1,000!!! :hurrah:

Hoping for a great game for A.J. on Sunday. If he can do it against the Jags, he will tie Marvin Harrison for quickest to 1,000 catches.

Hopkins had one catch for ten yards before Dre went down. He finished the half with with one catch for ten yards. He has two targets. I wonder if he's facing a little stiffer coverage without the old man on the field.

Hopkins had one catch for ten yards before Dre went down. He finished the half with with one catch for ten yards. He has two targets. I wonder if he's facing a little stiffer coverage without the old man on the field.
It was obvious the offense was different without 80. They were trying to get Foster more involved in the passing game since it was struggling for awhile once he went down. So I couldn't agree more with what you said about Hopkins.

It was obvious the offense was different without 80. They were trying to get Foster more involved in the passing game since it was struggling for awhile once he went down. So I couldn't agree more with what you said about Hopkins.

It was struggling before he went down as well... Assuming AJ is unavailable at Indy, it will be interesting to see if they activate Posey... because KMart and Damaris Johnson are not suited to play the X or Y. My guess is if AJ is inactive that Posey will go from a regular inactive to starting WR. If he still can't crack the lineup, then it is safe to say he will not be on the team next year.

It was struggling before he went down as well... Assuming AJ is unavailable at Indy, it will be interesting to see if they activate Posey... because KMart and Damaris Johnson are not suited to play the X or Y. My guess is if AJ is inactive that Posey will go from a regular inactive to starting WR. If he still can't crack the lineup, then it is safe to say he will not be on the team next year.

I have the same belief.

What I keep telling myself is Posey is a bad special teams player, plain & simple. Posey is strictly a wide (outside) receiver and can't play the slot. With Dre & Dre playing virtually every snap, makes no sense to activate Posey.

Now if Andre is out, I'm hoping Posey steps in as the starter. I'm probably one of the few that still has faith in Posey.

https://vine.co/v/OrixUTYMz1z

AJ (see link above) appeared to assume some characteristics of what is referred to as opisthotonic posture.......a posturing that is seen in head trauma (such as with an intracerebral bleed), brain damage and spinal cord damage.

screen_shot_2013-10-01_at_100826_pm-141772453372E20A861.png

This phenomenon can be permanent or temporary opisthotonic posture following head trauma. The latter would hopefully reflect AJ's condition, unless it returned later in the day........which would not be a good sign.

AJ (see link above) appeared to assume some characteristics of what is referred to as opisthotonic posture.......a posturing that is seen in head trauma (such as with an intracerebral bleed), brain damage and spinal cord damage.

This phenomenon can be permanent or temporary opisthotonic posture following head trauma. The latter would hopefully reflect AJ's condition, unless it returned later in the day........which would not be a good sign.

Assuming it didn't return. And it is a concussion, how bad was THAT concussion and what's the timeline. Any chance he plays Sunday?

Assuming it didn't return. And it is a concussion, how bad was THAT concussion and what's the timeline. Any chance he plays Sunday?

Without having access to his neurologic exam, I couldn't really comment beyond the fact that I'm glad we didn't see AJ carried off the field like a board in the described position. Concussions, even with full access to the patient, are too variable in their degree and their hinderances to navigate the protocol. Neurologic status typically does not turn on a dime. I wouldn't be too surprised if we don't see him on the field come next Sunday.

As far as I know so far this is his first concussion. Does anyone know of his history of head injuries?

I'm no doctor, but the result of the hit he took looked no different then some of the knock outs I've seen in MMA. AJ just got hit right on the temple and he got KO'd. The fact that he was up and walking within that short amount of time is positive. He looked coherent, at least to me. We have seen a lot worse in recent history. I am almost certain he will clear protocol and be back on the field next week. If not then I think Posey will step up big.

That's my prayer tonight...

As far as I know so far this is his first concussion. Does anyone know of his history of head injuries?

I'm no doctor, but the result of the hit he took looked no different then some of the knock outs I've seen in MMA. AJ just got hit right on the temple and he got KO'd. The fact that he was up and walking within that short amount of time is positive. He looked coherent, at least to me. We have seen a lot worse in recent history. I am almost certain he will clear protocol and be back on the field next week. If not then I think Posey will step up big.

Problem is not only the initial hit he took, but the back of his head hit the turf pretty hard, jarring his helmet off

Problem is not only the initial hit he took, but the back of his head hit the turf pretty hard, jarring his helmet off
I see what you're saying...

His helmet did come off when he hit the ground, but I don't think it came off from him hitting his head on the turf. The spot where the helmets made impact likely caused his chin strap to unbuckle and AJ falling on the turf was all that it needed to come off. I'm only saying this because I'm watching the play over and over, and cause I want that dude on the field next week.

I see what you're saying...

His helmet did come off when he hit the ground, but I don't think it came off from him hitting his head on the turf. The spot where the helmets made impact likely caused his chin strap to unbuckle and AJ falling on the turf was all that it needed to come off. I'm only saying this because I'm watching the play over and over, and cause I want that dude on the field next week.

yeah I want him on the field too. Regardless why his helmet came off, his head (in the helmet) hit the turf hard, and that is the big concern to me. 2 hits in 1

I'm expecting Posey to be active next week. I do not want AJ taking chances with his long term health this close to the end of his career. This is a team and it's time for Posey to show us what he has.

Praying that Andre is ok. I would love for him to play next week, but more importantly, I hope he is ok. Just not a good feeling about this one.

If he received a concussion I doubt he could pass a concussion protocol in a week. Walking around shortly after receiving one is far different from participating in an active sport - especially one as violent as football. It would be risky for him to play until he is fully recovered. His performance would likely be hindered too.

One thing to keep in mind. When a concussive event occurs, especially when there is temporary loss of consciousness, major consequences may not appear for hours or even days later. It is good that AJ could get up and around so soon........but it is very important for him to be closely observed for adverse signs or symptoms in coming days........not trying to skip lightly over any part of the protocol in order to get him back on the field sooner......an act that could potentially have devastating results.

One thing to keep in mind. When a concussive event occurs, especially when there is temporary loss of consciousness, major consequences may not appear for hours or even days later. It is good that AJ could get up and around so soon........but it is very important for him to be closely observed for adverse signs or symptoms in coming days........not trying to skip lightly over any part of the protocol in order to get him back on the field sooner......an act that could potentially have devastating results.

And with our crack-pot medical staff...this doesn't bode well for AJ.

Not to mention the standard operating procedure by NFL teams of keeping players in the dark about their true medical condition.

Man, my heart sunk seeing A.J. out there like that. Folks that think this game is becoming wussified should just watch that play along with several hits that our defense has been laying on opponents lately. It's still a man's game.

AJ will be on the field in Indy concussion or not.

Why do people worry about AJ's long term health?

Does AJ's long term health affect their lives in any way?

AJ will be on the field in Indy concussion or not.

Why do people worry about AJ's long term health?

Does AJ's long term health affect their lives in any way?

That's exactly right. Along with this line of thought, I think they should bring back the head slap, make spearing legal, and emphasize the "clothesline" tackling technique. All of these would make the game more exciting, and it does not hurt the fans in the least. Is there any real drawback?

:sarcasm:

That's exactly right. Along with this line of thought, I think they should bring back the head slap, make spearing legal, and emphasize the "clothesline" tackling technique. All of these would make the game more exciting, and it does hurt the fans in the least. Is there any real drawback?

:sarcasm:

I'm for all of the above.

You didn't answer the question of how does AJ playing with concussion like symptoms affect you?

Houston Texans @HoustonTexans
Meet Andre Johnson @johnson80 at @VerizonWireless (1700 Post Oak Blvd., 77056) tomorrow from 8-9a #TexansRadio on @SportsRadio610 live w/ @TexansVoice!

Back