Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson Hired to Coaching Staff

Shishkabob

All Pro

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Will AJ make a good coach? We probably don't know the answer to that yet, but it's nice he's getting a shot with the Texans at a coaching career.
He will probably take on a Welker role

I would love to see what AJ could do with a young talent like Wesley.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Very cool. I have no doubt that he will be a solid addition to the staff as a mentor and excellent example of a very dedicated worth ethic and high standards.

And also glad to see that there's apparently no hard feelings between AJ and O'Brien.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One of the first things I wondered. Is this purely a cal pick or is OB all the way on board with it?

Maybe that's a stupid question.
Yep, that's a stupid question. LOL

BOB picks the coaching staff.

I think AJ's going to be a great hire if his work with Hopkins is any indication.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Yep, that's a stupid question. LOL

BOB picks the coaching staff.

I think AJ's going to be a great hire if his work with Hopkins is any indication.
Except AJ is supposed to be working with both the coaching staff and the scouts so both OB & Gaine had to approve (or be instructed by Cal).

PHILLYTEXANFAN

Saddle Up Partner
yeah.. he will advise players how to run routes, handle opponents, be open to QB on field, how to be a vet on field and off, act as stable force and leader in locker room. I hope he does not advise how to select agent...

This is great move as well as excellent PR giving a beloved player larger role. Congrats AJ!
I don’t think he’s there to help the guy that told him he wasn’t good enough anymore. I think he’s an ear/mouthpiece for Cal and or the FO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
About what? OB presumably doesn't have authority to hire AJ to work with Gaine & the scouts. Are you claiming OB has authority over Gaine?
I think/dont know for sure that BOB has control over who on the coaching staff he hires/promotes etc... See: Tim Kelly

I also dont think that Cal told BOB to hire AJ. I do think AJ was hanging around the club alot last yr and when Welker moved on it was logical to move AJ into Welkers spot and since AJ's a local legend they gave him some PR stuff to do as well.

I think BOB hired AJ because he saw 1st hand how well he helped show Hopkins the ropes. In short BOB hired AJ on merit and AJ wasn't a forced hire by Cal/Gaine. Things are changing down on Kirby.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Which does nothing to explain him splitting time and also working with Gaine. That didn't happen on OB's authority.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think/dont know for sure that BOB has control over who on the coaching staff he hires/promotes etc... See: Tim Kelly

I also dont think that Cal told BOB to hire AJ. I do think AJ was hanging around the club alot last yr and when Welker moved on it was logical to move AJ into Welkers spot and since AJ's a local legend they gave him some PR stuff to do as well.

I think BOB hired AJ because he saw 1st hand how well he helped show Hopkins the ropes. In short BOB hired AJ on merit and AJ wasn't a forced hire by Cal/Gaine. Things are changing down on Kirby.
I'm sure that like everything else there, it was a consensus of the board to offer AJ spot, just like they did with Cushing, Dent and Yates. Combination PR and taking advantage/hoping for lightening -in-a bottle

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Which does nothing to explain him splitting time and also working with Gaine. That didn't happen on OB's authority.
He's like the new entry level guy on the job.

If the boss wants coffee he gets it for him.

If the bosses secretary wants him to run off some copies he does that for her etc..

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm sure that like everything else there, it was a consensus of the board to offer AJ spot, just like they did with Cushing, Dent and Yates. Combination PR and taking advantage/hoping for lightening -in-a bottle
Agreed, I'm a little worried about all of the 1st time HC's. Although they all know BOB's/RAC's systems can they teach it with so little coaching experience?

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

If the bosses secretary wants him to run off some copies he does that for her etc..
AJ will have a lot to learn but fetching coffee isn't one of them.

But I get your point.

I do think hiring former players should be encouraging to the present players.

:coffee: already been fetched.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Agreed, I'm a little worried about all of the 1st time HC's. Although they all know BOB's/RAC's systems can they teach it with so little coaching experience?
All what HC's? And why would they try teaching BOB's/RAC's systems?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Dude! Really? Please tell me you don't really believe this!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Dude! Really? Please tell me you don't really believe this!
Not coffee.

But it's what graduate coaches do in college and what entry level coaches do in the NFL. They are the lowest on the totem pole also they are the least paid.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Not coffee.

But it's what graduate coaches do in college and what entry level coaches do in the NFL. They are the lowest on the totem pole also they are the least paid.
I know your comment about coffee is hyperbole but he'll certainly be at the bottom of the totem pole.

Is he really like other additions though?

Says he's a special advisor working for both gaine and ob. What the hell does that entail?

I imagine he and OB had a very honest conversation previous to his hire. So my question probably IS stupid. Cant help asking though even if it has no merit.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Not coffee.

They don't all come in anywhere near the same. Might note the new name they came up to distinguish him from the typical entry assistant coach. And entry level assistant coaches don't advise the GM or scouts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They don't all come anywhere near the same. Might note the new name they came up to distinguish him from the typical entry assistant coach.
Meaning he will do a little bit of everything,

Just like any new entry level guy within the org. What's the new title they came up with for AJ's job?

What do you think he will be doing?

Bottom line for me is if BOB didn't want him on his staff he wouldn't be on his staff. Atleast that's how its been with every other coaching hire in the BOB regime.

powda

Meaning he will do a little bit of everything,

...At least that's how its been with every other coaching hire in the BOB regime.
But they're not calling him a coach.

And to answer your question I genuinely have no clue what he'll be doing. Considering his history with the franchise though he'd be suited for pr and work with the wr's. Maybe a pro mentor of sorts for the incoming rookie class?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
But they're not calling him a coach.

And to answer your question I genuinely have no clue what he'll be doing. Considering his history with the franchise though he'd be suited for pr and work with the wr's. Maybe a pro mentor of sorts for the incoming rookie class?
I think this is what AJ will be doing too.

But if BOB didn't want AJ to help out with the WR's he would just be a PR guy. BOB wants AJ to help with the WR's after seeing him work with Hopkins on a 1st hand basis.

powda

I think this is what AJ will be doing too.

But if BOB didn't want AJ to help out with the WR's he ould just be a PR guy. BOB wants AJ to help with the WR's after seeing him work with Hopkins on a 1st hand basis.
No matter the circumstances, and again perhaps my question about lingering resentment was dumb, I am glad to have him on board.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Retired WR Andre Johnson stepping away from role as Texans special advisor
Aaron Wilson Aug. 22, 2020 Updated: Aug. 22, 2020 1:05 p.m.

Retired Texans All-Pro wide receiver and inaugural Ring of Honor selection Andre Johnson is no longer a member of the Texans' staff.

Johnson, 39, said that it was solely his decision to step away from the special advisor position that he held for one year due to the extensive time constraints of the job. Johnson emphasized that he maintains a strong relationship with the team and had a good conversation about his choice with Texans coach and general manager Bill O'Brien.

Johnson still plans to attend some practice sessions and provide mentoring to the wide receivers.

THE REST OF THE STORY