Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

And I thought Houston was a Football Town ?

Well like I said, I knew of a few parties that were having over 15 people plus..which brings me to this..who here hosted or went to a party that had at least 15 people..

I know some of you did...

I'm in Corpus so I don't count but just for the point you are trying to make my house had 13 people.

Let's be honest folks. Houston is a GREAT football town, when we win. Fans jump on and off the bandwagon so much I'm surprised they can even remember when to jump. Everyone has that Texas size opinon also. How many fans have we lost because they simply got pissed off because the FO didn't do what they thought they should do. Every year we hear, "I'll selling my tickets IF!!" Truth be told, we have a handful of diehards, and a boatload of maybe's. Let the Texans make the playoffs and watch the "maybe's" come out of the woodwork!! We'll suddenly have more "diehards" than we know what to do with.

Well like I said, I knew of a few parties that were having over 15 people plus..which brings me to this..who here hosted or went to a party that had at least 15 people..

I know some of you did...

I stopped by two before going to the party where I actually watched it. The first party had about 10 people, but that was also a few hours before the game started and I know a lot more were expected to show up as kickoff approached. The second party had about 10 people also (but that's all they were expecting). The party I wound up had about 20 and 5 kids. That's about 40+ people watching on 3 sets, none of which had Nielson's box...

Let's be honest folks. Houston is a GREAT football town, when we win. Fans jump on and off the bandwagon so much I'm surprised they can even remember when to jump. Everyone has that Texas size opinon also. How many fans have we lost because they simply got pissed off because the FO didn't do what they thought they should do. Every year we hear, "I'll selling my tickets IF!!" Truth be told, we have a handful of diehards, and a boatload of maybe's. Let the Texans make the playoffs and watch the "maybe's" come out of the woodwork!! We'll suddenly have more "diehards" than we know what to do with.

The Texans are the 4th most profitable franchise & have never had a winning record. They have sold out every game since their inception. I dont think you can question Texans fans loyalty. I think you can question ownerships comittment to their fans by putting a winning team on the field.

I renewed my season tickets this year. If the team stinks this year & I dont renew my tickets in 2010 bcause of the combination of the economy & the teams lak of comittnent to winning does that make me a bandwagon fan?

I had 32 people @ my Super Bowl party.

Cities from Seattle to Miami are just as international as we are. Miami is of course probably the most Latino metro area in the country, but those people are passionate only about the soccer version of football not the American/NFL version, so blaming Houstons indifference about the SB can't be attributed to exotic demographics. And the winter weather in places like SF, LA, ATL, and Miami are certainly comparable if not superior to Houstons. Lets face, this city is anything but the football hotbed some make it out to be. I mean how can it be when the "caffe latte" crowd in Seattle likes viewing the SB more than Houston ? That's insulting !

Look, you've been presented with plenty of input, and if you still have it in your head that the label "football town" must equate to viewing the SB, then it doesn't appear that anyone is going to change it.

High school football is huge here. Houston puts out as much football talent as any city in America. College football is big here. The Texans sell out every game, despite the team never having a winning season. So no one cared about this year's Super Bowl. If that makes us a bad football town in your eyes, despite all the evidence to the contrary, then so be it.

The Texans are the 4th most profitable franchise & have never had a winning record. They have sold out every game since their inception. I dont think you can question Texans fans loyalty. I think you can question ownerships comittment to their fans by putting a winning team on the field.

I renewed my season tickets this year. If the team stinks this year & I dont renew my tickets in 2010 bcause of the combination of the economy & the teams lak of comittnent to winning does that make me a bandwagon fan?

I had 32 people @ my Super Bowl party.

Difference selling them out and showing up.... The last few years alone, there isn't more than 80% in the house, and sometimes it seems less than that when you see BIG blocks of empty seats..
And who cares if Houston is a football town or not.. Houston is not alot of alot of stuff anyways !! But I am a football guy as well as alot of others, so if our city is not labeled one, so be it !

Difference selling them out and showing up.... The last few years alone, there isn't more than 80% in the house, and sometimes it seems less than that when you see BIG blocks of empty seats..
And who cares if Houston is a football town or not.. Houston is not alot of alot of stuff anyways !! But I am a football guy as well as alot of others, so if our city is not labeled one, so be it !

Agreed

I just have a problem with the Texans sending out season ticket renewals before the Super Bowl.

People like to tailgate & get to their seats late, that is why it seems like the Stadium is 80% full @ kickoff. This is part of the gameday expirience. It doesn't mean you are not a fan if you aren't in your seats @ game time.

When you have spent $40,000 in season tickets for the product the Texans have put on the field I think fans have earned the right to tailgate as long as they want to & get into the stadium after kickoff.

What difference does it make?

Houston HAS a football team and they aren't going anywhere.

I'm just tired of people saying we are a bad football town when we support a team that is the 4th most profitable team in the NFL.

The team has never had a winning record & we fans still support the team anyways. That is the definition of a great fan base.

You can look @ this MB & although we disagree we are very loyal fans.

I'm just tired of people saying we are a bad football town when we support a team that is the 4th most profitable team in the NFL.

The team has never had a winning record & we fans still support the team anyways. That is the definition of a great fan base.

You can look @ this MB & although we disagree we are very loyal fans.

J/C:

How long have you lived in the City of Houston?

How many transplants live here?

Salt Lake City was followed by Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and San Francisco, according to NBC. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh; Norfolk, Va.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Buffalo and Richmond, Va., had the highest ratings for the game.
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-salt...gs-super-bowl-ratings-/2009/02/03/3961861.htm
Read it and weep. Those bastions of football fervor, LA & San Fran, flashed
better than Texas cities Houston & Austin in SB viewers ratings. Who would have thunk it ?

J/C:

How long have you lived in the City of Houston?

How many transplants live here?

I have lived in Texas all of my life & in Houston most of my adult life.

We suppport our team with our wallets better than any city in the NFL.

When you take into account the product that has been put on the field.

Salt Lake City was followed by Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and San Francisco, according to NBC. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh; Norfolk, Va.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Buffalo and Richmond, Va., had the highest ratings for the game.
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-salt...gs-super-bowl-ratings-/2009/02/03/3961861.htm
better than Texas cities Houston & Austin in SB viewers ratings. Who would have thunk it ?

Account for 75 degree weather on that day, Tivo, internet streaming, Nielsen's awful paneling and the fact that football crazy Texans like to get together in large groups and then you should get closer to whatever truth you are looking for.

Or how about you look at paneling for radio, internet streaming and TV for football recruiting today and then take a look at Spring practice content and its viewership to triangulate your reasearch in order to make a reasonable deduction.

Account for 75 degree weather on that day, Tivo, internet streaming, Nielsen's awful paneling and the fact that football crazy Texans like to get together in large groups and then you should get closer to whatever truth you are looking for.

Or how about you look at paneling for radio, internet streaming and TV for football recruiting today and then take a look at Spring practice content and its viewership to triangulate your reasearch in order to make a reasonable deduction.
Others in this thread have said things along those lines to which I would say that Nielsen has been around for decades and I'd think their service would be smart enough by now to accumulate those kinds of factors and discount/measure them so that the end data provided is still valid and useful.
Afterall this is not a government service supported by taxpayers, rather its an entity in the private sector that has obviously competed successfully enough to survive by way of the info it's provided its customers.

Others in this thread have said things along those lines to which I would say that Nielsen has been around for decades and I'd think their service would be smart enough by now to accumulate those kinds of factors and discount/measure them so that the end data provided is still valid and useful.
Afterall this is not a government service supported by taxpayers, rather its an entity in the private sector that has obviously competed successfully enough to survive by way of the info it's provided its customers.

It is not smart enough, nor is it capturing any of the broadcasts via the internet. Nielsen has segmented itself to report on different formats, but not roll up.

Please do not make Nielsen the poster child of a public vs private debate, you do not do yourself any favors positioning your arguement. Anyone in the media business can attest to that. Nielsen is in a fight to stay relevant as TV's eyeballs and managed frequency erode.

I have lived in Texas all of my life & in Houston most of my adult life.

We suppport our team with our wallets better than any city in the NFL.

When you take into account the product that has been put on the field.

I was just curious. It wasn't that I was disagreeing with anything you had said, I just was trying to get a fix on where you were coming from.

Of all the people I know, be it here, Dallas, Austin - wherever; I don't know one person that participates in the Nielson Ratings system. In fact, the only one that I know that has ever participated is Steph and she said it sucked.

It is not smart enough, nor is it capturing any of the broadcasts via the internet. Nielsen has segmented itself to report on different formats, but not roll up.

Please do not make Nielsen the poster child of a public vs private debate, you do not do yourself any favors positioning your arguement. Anyone in the media business can attest to that. Nielsen is in a fight to stay relevant as TV's eyeballs and managed frequency erode.

I honestly don't have any opinion of Neilsons service, rather I'm merely observing there's customers in their market who value their service even if you don't.

You know how I know the ratings are bull? You mean to tell me that Phoenix isn't in the top cities for watching the game? Really?

I just saw ratings were actually higher this year so maybe that changed Houstons ratings..that is odd that Houston was so low.

Houston was the second-lowest rated market in the country for Sunday’s Super Bowl broadcast on NBC, topping only Salt Lake City among the 56 major markets measured by Nielsen Media Research.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6242345.html

I dont always watch all of it because im not a big NFL fan, only Texans. Houston is more of a "get together city" anyway, if that makes sense to anyone else....

Have you watched games where opposing teams fans really show up in the stands?

Did you see the towels yesterday at the game?

Most Steeler out of town games are well represented by their fans in the stands, waving their towels. Ask Titan fans.

Winning or losing, Pittsburgh is a football town.

How many games have you seen where the "cheeseheads" are in attendance at the opponents stadims?

Winning or losing, Green Bay is a football town. Huge waiting list for tickets for many many years.

Reliant stadium is sold out for every game. How many "fans" show up? I see lots of empty seats before, during, and even more empty seats before the game is even over. Gotta beat the traffic mentality.

Houston has a few very good, die hard fans, but Houston is a jumping on the bandwagon when the team wins kind of city. Always has been.

Think we will ever see hundreds of Texan flags being waved in our opponents stadiums, even if we are winning?

Flame me if you want, but that is the way I see it.

:coffee:

amen

Back