Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Amobi Okoye Says His Dedication Has Dipped Down Since His Rookie Seaon

Travis Johnson v.2

I remember seeing the same kind of offseason articles about him too.

yep. I've never been a big Okoye fan, and as a matter-of-fact, I think it's a complete waste of a draft pick for a team with no depth to be picking up project players in the first round. Such is the brain trust of this franchise, though. Instead of picking up an guy that might be able to make an immediate impact, they look several years ahead and let the 'feel good story' influence the decision making process.

yep. I've never been a big Okoye fan, and as a matter-of-fact, I think it's a complete waste of a draft pick for a team with no depth to be picking up project players in the first round. Such is the brain trust of this franchise, though. Instead of picking up an guy that might be able to make an immediate impact, they look several years ahead and let the 'feel good story' influence the decision making process.
They took a chance on hitting the lottery and didn't. Contract/age and skill sets indicate he will remain on team for now. Let's see who, if anyone, beats him out.

They took a chance on hitting the lottery and didn't. Contract/age and skill sets indicate he will remain on team for now. Let's see who, if anyone, beats him out.

I understand all that, but just like I'd tell a guy with only $2 to his name, buy a loaf of bread instead of that lottery ticket. ;)

I'm willing to bet that most people upset at Okoye's production are pissed that he's not Patrick Willis and take out their frustration from that.

Nothing really to do except see what happens in this pre-season and regular season for him. I wish he played better than what he has so far, but I haven't written him off completely since DT is a ridiculously difficult position to excel at and he had such a promising first half of his rookie season.

I'm willing to bet that most people upset at Okoye's production are pissed that he's not Patrick Willis and take out their frustration from that.

Nothing really to do except see what happens in this pre-season and regular season for him. I wish he played better than what he has so far, but I haven't written him off completely since DT is a ridiculously difficult position to excel at and he had such a promising first half of his rookie season.

I agree.

Football fans have very little patience, compared to baseball for instance. check out the MLB draft & alot of teams are selecting High School players (around the same age as Amobi when he came out of Louisville) yet these guys are projected to take 3-5 years to develop just to make it to the bigs. Add to that DT is one of the most difficult positions to impact early on in ones career & people are just not being resonable or they are just ignorant of the complexities involved.

Your comparison of a man with $2 and Texans does not work but I understand your thinking.

Well, then, your comparison of a $15.4 million contract with a lottery ticket does not work, but I understood your thinking.

You were using a metaphor, bro', and by that same token, so was I. :shades:

I agree.

Football fans have very little patience, compared to baseball for instance. check out the MLB draft & alot of teams are selecting High School players (around the same age as Amobi when he came out of Louisville) yet these guys are projected to take 3-5 years to develop just to make it to the bigs. Add to that DT is one of the most difficult positions to impact early on in ones career & people are just not being resonable or they are just ignorant of the complexities involved.

Good point but...the difference is that Baseball has developmental leagues for them to learn in. The NFL only has the big show...

I know! That face gives me nightmares.

Cushing, Pollard, Mitchell.

The outward appearance and attitude of our defensive acquisitions is looking less like poster boys and more like very angry people who want to hurt others in legal ways.

I think Frank Bush is going to make our defense pretty freakin' scary.

Cushing, Pollard, Mitchell.

The outward appearance and attitude of our defensive acquisitions is looking less like poster boys and more like very angry people who want to hurt others in legal ways.

I think Frank Bush is going to make our defense pretty freakin' scary.
Just give it time.

Back