Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing Bill O'Brien thread

bah007

Hall of Fame
Not an OB hater. In fact, probably his biggest supporter during the time that he has been here.

When we fired Kubiak this is the guy I wanted. We got him. I was wrong.

I thought OB's offensive schemes were brilliant. I'm also a HS coach, and at this point I'm forced to admit that may be the level of football that his schemes would be most effective at.

We gave him a shot. It's not working. His "gameplan" offense is nothing that a good HS DC couldn't slow down. I'm off the bandwagon.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I want to see where we're at two weeks from now before joining. If we lose to Indy & Denver I'm likely with ya'll.
I'm still going to wait. I'll join if we're under .500 before the bye. we might lose the next two, go to 3-4 but we better win against the Lions to get to 4-4 at the bye.

after the bye, we're going to have to go 5-3, just to get to 9-7 (& as weak as this division is, I don't think 9-7 wins the division)

we'll have 5 games on the road, Jacksonville, Oakland, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Tennessee

only 3 games at home San Diego, Jacksonville, Bengals

it would really be nice to go in to the bye at 6-2 or 5-3

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
The Denver game is Judgement Day. Both teams have a statement to make on a national stage.
Primetime game. Maybe the best defense we'll face. A hc and d coordinator with an axe to grind. What could possibly go wrong?

My only really question is will we fire and demote people directly after that game or wait till the bye week?

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
The awful offensive play calling in this Vikings game should warrant a clean up now. I'll have a bar of "fire all offensive coordinators and assistants" soap. Clean house and bring in some coaches and coordinators that know what the hell they're doing.

False Start

On # 69
I'm not ready to buy soap yet, I just want to ride it out and see how awful it can possibly get
Like the old saying, "it's like a bad car wreck, you cant look away." I watch every second of every game. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :choke:

I've gotten to the point to when the other teams make a big play that leaves me saying WTF? All I can do is laugh about it, say fk it and shrug it off. Like today on the punt return by Marcus Sherels, I literally just busted out laughing. :lol:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Like the old saying, "it's like a bad car wreck, you cant look away." I watch every second of every game. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. :choke:

I've gotten to the point to when the other teams make a big play that leaves me saying WTF? All I can do is laugh about it, say fk it and shrug it off. Like today on the punt return by Marcus Sherels, I literally just busted out laughing. :lol:
I was exactly like that with the Oilers. Unfortunately with the Texans my sense of humor is starting to wear thin. I'm not really a sports fan, the only sport I even have the slightest interest in is pro football, if Houston has a team. Or if the Cougs are doing anything. I was a big fan of the Oilers and Gamblers at the same time, and we once had an Arena team which didn't last very long.

I think all those years and the drama of the Oilers, and now the crap going on now, my sense of appreciation of Houston foolball is waning. And no, that wasn't a misspelling. LOL

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I don't know if I want the soap or not yet, but...

... oh man I'm close. Too much to say but want to enjoy my evening

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
I was exactly like that with the Oilers. Unfortunately with the Texans my sense of humor is starting to wear thin. I'm not really a sports fan, the only sport I even have the slightest interest in is pro football, if Houston has a team. Or if the Cougs are doing anything. I was a big fan of the Oilers and Gamblers at the same time, and we once had an Arena team which didn't last very long.

I think all those years and the drama of the Oilers, and now the crap going on now, my sense of appreciation of Houston foolball is waning. And no, that wasn't a misspelling. LOL
I can't say my love for Texans football is waning, but my patience is certainly wearing thin. It's time to put a program together that actually has a chance at winning. Not just token Division wins and championships with a 9-7 record, but meaningful game and playoff wins. We as fans deserve that much. We've been through way too much for way too long.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Who hired Obrien and has been here the longest and brought in BO. Get rid of who brought in BOBOB. And don't tell me ohhhh we can't blame him. McNair wanted him. A real GM takes control and tells McNair to let him do the job he was hired to do
Someone needs to tell McNair to do it like he did his business and hire someone and get out of the way... :kitten:

Regrettably, someone told him to get a football guy... his football guy is Cal/Ricky

Max

Veteran
It looks like I'm in the minority but I'm nowhere near ready to fire BOB, but maybe I have a different perspective. I believe that long term success comes with patience -- patience with your coach and with your players. There is a time to cut bait, but we're 5 games into a season with new players at nearly every skilled position.

I'm not high on BOB at the moment. I said elsewhere that he looks like a first year quarterback with everything moving too fast. But I see potential in him and I don't think he is a bad coach. I think there are things he can improve on such as game management, being more aggressive in his game planning and play calling (and selecting a better O/C). All of these things should improve with experience -- time will tell.

I watched every Vikings game ever played for 35+ years and recently made the Texans my team (after living here for 10 years) -- the Texans under BOB feel like the Vikings under Denny Green (1992 - 2001). His record starting in 1993 was 9-7, 10-6, 8-8, 9-7, 9-7. The Vikings fanbase during this time felt like ours -- fire Denny! Denny sucks! BOB is 9-7, 9-7, 3-2 and we're all calling for his head -- I get it, we want to win the SB and this isn't a SB team right now.

In 1998 Randy Moss happens and they're 15-1 with the most dynamic team that I have ever personally watched for a full season and one that any of us would love to see the Texans play like for a full season. If the team didn't have a seasoned coach with moderate success leading up to that year -- I feel like we wouldn't have had the magic we did that year (even though we didn't win it all -- but that's the life of a Vikings fan!)

If you're unhappy as a Texans fan -- try being a Vikings fan for 42 years and feel like you're team could get it done every year and they never do. I think this team can be a Patriots-like team for a decade under BOB and Os (Os is a different subject) but it's not going to happen overnight. I feel more optimistic about our long term future here than a team that is truly cursed (the Vikes) and I'm not a kool-aid kind of guy.

False Start

On # 69
@Thorn

My sentiments exactly bud. I could not have put it better. I lived and died with my Houston football teams. I'm gonna be honest, I used to cry as a kid when the Oilers lost.

I got my ass whipped one time because we had went out to eat during the infamous Ian Howfield game against the Redskins. I told my parents I was going to the bathroom but really I went and was watching the game and they couldn't find me for about 20 minutes, LOL. I got some old-school Justice on that one from my daddy. I guess I will always live and die with this Houston football lore... :hankpalm:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Not a good idea to respond to events earlier today in Minnasota when emotionally compromised :barman: just a bunch of venting.

I would just like to see a faster paced offense with some idea how to attack a defense they've game planned all week. Brock has to quicken his mechanics & the ball has to get out quicker. Not sure what happened to our secondary but defensively it's schematic disaster.

There you go false start, now where's my damn soap?

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
I'm still going to wait. I'll join if we're under .500 before the bye. we might lose the next two, go to 3-4 but we better win against the Lions to get to 4-4 at the bye.

after the bye, we're going to have to go 5-3, just to get to 9-7 (& as weak as this division is, I don't think 9-7 wins the division)

we'll have 5 games on the road, Jacksonville, Oakland, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Tennessee

only 3 games at home San Diego, Jacksonville, Bengals

it would really be nice to go in to the bye at 6-2 or 5-3
We might still win the division, but if we lose the next two games we're undoubtedly a pretender this year. Going 0-4 against the Patriots, Vikings, Colts & Broncos while beating up on the weaker teams just makes me imagine another 30-0 beat-down once the playoffs start.

texanhead08

All Pro
I would rather not make the playoffs if the result of the season is another skull ******* at home in the Wild Card round.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
OB has had his doors blown off in 5 of the last 14 games.

LMAO!

Besides the 0-16 Lions, who gets completely embarrassed that often?

If the MF's ain't learned by now, they aren't going to learn. OB should have been fired last season as he demonstrated how warped his decision making is with his QB decisions.

Really, I think they need a new owner....But he's not going to fire himself, so I'm left with an empty feeling with this team.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Commiting to the pink soap after an embarrassing loss may feel momentarily comforting, but any time you want to change coaches you'd better have a replacement in mind. Right now the well is dry. The 49'ers had to settle for Chip Kelly, and Tom Herman is likely going to Texas or another big school. Going with "Anyone but O'Brien" isn't the best planning, and commits us to more mediocrity for several years.

Mangler

Toro de España
I'll take a pallet of Fire OB Soap, and a truck load of Fire Godsey Hand Sanitizers. I don't care how much I have to spend on overnight delivery, just get it done!

Last edited:

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The real problems are McNair, Smith and OB. We can't get rid of McNair unfortunately, but hope he gets lucky and hires a real gm.

If you think about it, how many coaches are really successful over a long period, and don't suffer through several years of mediocrity to get there? Obviously there is Belicheck (remember his time at Cleveland, anyone?), Pete Carroll, and who else? That's about it. Mike Tomlin maybe. Every other NFL coach, in recent memory, has had some mediocre play (Harbaugh, Kubiak, Sean Payton, Ron Rivera, Mike Zimmer, you name them). I'm not saying BOB IS the answer, but that it's unreasonable to expect Belicheck, since there is only one Belicheck.

Scooter

Funky
134-82 is the score total of our previous 6 games. Not good. Just because we've got enough powder puffs on the schedule to stay around .500, aided by the weakest division, doesn't mean we're playing good football. Because we're most certainly not. IMO O'Brien is the (main) problem. He had no business getting the job, and I see no reason for him to keep it.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I'll take a pallet of Fire OB soaps, and a truck load of fire Godsey hand sanitizers. And, I don't care how much I have to spend on overnight shipping. Just get it done!
We have Soap Prime. You pay one price and get all the pink soap you want with free two day shipping.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
can we revive that Soap for Rick smith has well or does he have a job here 4 LIFE ....????

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Commiting to the pink soap after an embarrassing loss may feel momentarily comforting, but any time you want to change coaches you'd better have a replacement in mind. Right now the well is dry. The 49'ers had to settle for Chip Kelly, and Tom Herman is likely going to Texas or another big school. Going with "Anyone but O'Brien" isn't the best planning, and commits us to more mediocrity for several years.
No, I had wanted O'Brien gone since last year.

Conduct a search on these guys, and a few more, like Tom Herman and whoever else that has some balls and creativity.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/10/nfl-future-head-coaching-candidates-adam-gase-josh-mcdaniels-teryl-austin

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What I wouldn't give for the Moon-years Oilers right about now. Remember the 547 yard game?
Most overrated QB in NFL history. Never even reached an AFC championship game. Had the Buffalo debacle. The offense lead by Moon had leads in the last 3 playoff game losses he played in. Loss Denver/Loss Buffalo/Loss/K.C. the offense had trouble scoring points in the 2nd halves of playoff games.

Great regular season QB though.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I have absolutely no idea what an O'Brien offensive principle is like.

He was throwing dart from one QB to another, year to year, this affecting the way he uses the TE, the receivers, and the RBs.

There's no offensive philosophy, just dart throwing.

I don't want to speak ill of the man; I just don't think he's ready for the job.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Most overrated QB in NFL history. Never even reached an AFC championship game. Had the Buffalo debacle. The offense lead by Moon had leads in the last 3 playoff game losses he played in. Loss Denver/Loss Buffalo/Loss/K.C. the offense had trouble scoring points in the 2nd halves of playoff games.

Right because Moon played on the defensive side too.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

That said, Moon is still in the top 2 of greatest Houston pro football QBs. Obviously, it's a short list. Blanda, Moon....Schaub? Do the research. History ain't pretty in H-town.

texanhead08

All Pro

Sounds like every Gary Kubiak coached team.