Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

I have to say, I think Leo Chenal (ILB/Wisconsin) is going to make some team very happy. I don't know if he is a fit for the Texans, but he's a guy I'd go to war with on D. Glad to see his test results are backing up what shows up on tape.

As the new NFL season kicks off tomorrow, could we see a trade offer announced today, to be ratified tomorrow?
This would cause the teams that were in the hunt to panic and upgrade their own offers ...
Just spitballing here...

I'm going to try and put things in perspective and make a little sense out of Thibodeaux vs Walker comparison, attitudes be damned. For beginners, it's an apples and oranges comparison. Thibodeaux is an OLB Edge rusher; Walker is an interior D lineman.

Georgia ran a 3-4 Defense; DT = Devonte Wyatt, NT - Jordan Davis, DE - Travon Walker. Nakobe Dean was a OLB and the designated edge rusher. Walker was a hand in the dirt interior DL, 3 technique in the Georgia system.

Oregon also ran a 3-4 Defense; DT - Hudson-Ware, NT - Aumavae, DE - Dorlus, Kayvon Thibideaux was the Joker, OLB designated pass rusher. Kayvon did not play with his hand in the dirt, he played standing up fromthe 5 or 7 technique.
Oregon Ducks release first official depth chart for start of 2021 (usatoday.com)

Interior DL do not usually produce BIG defensive numbers. However Walker's numbers for 3-4 DE are very respectable, much more in-line with something you would see from a 4-3 DE. In all fairness, Walker playing DE in Georgia's 3-4 compromised and did a disservice to his production numbers. In much the same way Wisconsin 3-4 D masked JJ Watt's abilities. Highly probable Wade Phillips could do for Walker what he did for Watt. It should also be noted that Thibodeaux lined up outside of the OT almost twice as much as Walker. When Walker did line up outside of the OT it was on his shoulder, 5 technique, hardly ever in a 7 technique. Expecting Walker to have Thibodeaux production is not a fair comparison and a disingenuous argument. Would Thibodeaux had the same or better production if most of his snaps were as an interior DL? Also of note Walker is bigger and faster than Thibodeaux.

Walker accumulated seven quarterback pressures in the national championship against an Alabama offensive line that is always brimming with talent, and many feel he was playing out of position for most of the year, indicating he could be an even better professional than he was a college player.

Never saw him with his hand in the dirt either but did see him with his hand on the turf, the artificial kind. He’s scheme diverse too, 3-4 OLB 4-3 DE.

Never saw him with his hand in the dirt either but did see him with his hand on the turf, the artificial kind. He’s scheme diverse too, 3-4 OLB 4-3 DE.
He is always a 5 or 7 technique. He's a very good player that comes with a bit of an all about me attitude.

Last edited:
If he fell to #17 I would run to the podium with the pick :specnatz:

If you think him falling to #17 would humble him, you should run to the podium. Of course if he's really good, in a couple of yrs you could end up with a guy who's not worth the trouble. If 2 guys are close and I think Walker and Thibodeaux are, then give me the guy that's all about football over the guy who's worried about his brand.

If you think him falling to #17 would humble him, you should run to the podium. Of course if he's really good, in a couple of yrs you could end up with a guy who's not worth the trouble. If 2 guys are close and I think Walker and Thibodeaux are, then give me the guy that's all about football over the guy who's worried about his brand.

understand but he will play through his rookie deal to get his 2nd big payday, that’s when I listen to offers.

I saw Lovie there. He was smiling. I hope we come away with Walker and Davis

Foundational pieces.

If a trade goes down with the Saints, I wouldn't have a problem with Walker at 1-3 and either trading up to 12-14 for Davis. If that doesn't happen I would like Travis Jones at 18.

This is the yr to buildup the ol/dl.

Foundational pieces.

If a trade goes down with the Saints, I wouldn't have a problem with Walker at 1-3 and either trading up to 12-14 for Davis. If that doesn't happen I would like Travis Jones at 18.

This is the yr to buildup the ol/dl.
What's your thinking here?
For me, it is imperative we give our QB every chance to gain confidence - so he can blossom and Texans can get a more accurate assessment of him by seasons end.

For me, it is imperative we give our QB every chance to gain confidence - so he can blossom and Texans can get a more accurate assessment of him by seasons end.
I can see your point but with a rare deep defensive draft I think we have to follow the talent in the early rounds…depending on how many choices we will have. Might be good to ask for offensive players in any trade deal.

Agreed, but unless the OL is improved you will see more of what you saw last yr. The most talented position in this draft is the DL. IMHO Draft talent 1st and foremost.

With this said I'm not against drafting some small school skill guys with rds 4-6 picks. Guys like Dixon/Ezzard/Phillips could be WR upgrades. Late rd RB's like Teague/Ingram/Haskins would be upgrades too.

Give use your thoughts on how things went.
I didn't have much to add this afternoon only caught the last 15 minutes. However it is on this evening and have been watching most of it. They just went thru about 30 minutes of DL drills and Davis, Walker and Wyatt all participated. Amazing, all of them. They really put on a show. They tiptoed thru the ground speed bags and destroyed the standing tackling bags. Lovie was front and center, down on the front row standing about 10 ft away. He was mesmerized like he had never seen anything like it but so was everyone else.

Caserio was not around, I guess he stayed in Houston to trade 6th rd picks. Georgia Pro Day had 122 NFL personnel, an all-time record. The previous record was 88. Belichick was also there.

Travon Walker is now doing LB drills and is doing pass coverage drills and looks really good. Really unbelievable for a man his size with the speed and agility.

It's a F'n freak show. I know I joked but I would not be surprised if Lovie came away with 2 of these DL with his 2 picks in the 1st RD.

BTW your boy Salyer is looking really good going thru the OL drills.

Lovie might as well do most of his shopping at UGA, Zemir White and James Cook are really impressing. Lovie is probably well pleased to be spending the day in Athens Georgia.

Pickens is lighting it up too.

Last edited:
Agreed, but unless the OL is improved you will see more of what you saw last yr. The most talented position in this draft is the DL. IMHO Draft talent 1st and foremost.

With this said I'm not against drafting some small school skill guys with rds 4-6 picks. Guys like Dixon/Ezzard/Phillips could be WR upgrades. Late rd RB's like Teague/Ingram/Haskins would be upgrades too.
We have already seen some moves regarding our Oline but I would like to see some starch added.
There is some talent still available for the OL in the late first and top of the second so I am hoping Texans can add one more first and a second to this years draft via the Watson trade to nab a couple of those or even acquire a good OL or DL in any trade. That will help clear the murky waters a bit regarding what we need moving forward.

I didn't have much to add this afternoon only caught the last 15 minutes. However it is on this evening and have been watching most of it. They just went thru about 30 minutes of DL drills and Davis, Walker and Wyatt all participated. Amazing, all of them. They really put on a show. They tiptoed thru the ground speed bags and destroyed the standing tackling bags. Lovie was front and center, down on the front row standing about 10 ft away. He was mesmerized like he had never seen anything like it but so was everyone else.

Caserio was not around, I guess he stayed in Houston to trade 6th rd picks. Georgia Pro Day had 122 NFL personnel, an all-time record. The previous record was 88. Belichick was also there.

Travon Walker is now doing LB drills and is doing pass coverage drills and looks really good. Really unbelievable for a man his size with the speed and agility.

It's a F'n freak show. I know I joked but I would not be surprised if Lovie came away with 2 of these DL with his 2 picks in the 1st RD.

BTW your boy Salyer is looking really good going thru the OL drills.

Lovie might as well do most of his shopping at UGA, Zemir White and James Cook are really impressing. Lovie is probably well pleased to be spending the day in Athens Georgia.

Pickens is lighting it up too.

Wouldn't it be great if Caserio could trade with Atlanta and get 1-8 and those two 2nd Rd picks and then just pick all Georgia guys.

Rd. 1 Walker
Rd.1 Davis
Rd.2 Quay Walker
Rd.2 Pickens
Rd.2 Salyer
Rd. 3 Cook
Rd. 3 Tindall
Rd. 4 White
Rd.6 Schaffer

This is possible and you could do alot worse than this drafting guys from other schools. Man that team was loaded.

Wouldn't it be great if Caserio could trade with Atlanta and get 1-8 and those two 2nd Rd picks and then just pick all Georgia guys.

Rd. 1 Walker
Rd.1 Davis
Rd.2 Quay Walker
Rd.2 Pickens
Rd.2 Salyer
Rd. 3 Cook
Rd. 3 Tindall
Rd. 4 White
Rd.6 Schaffer

This is possible and you could do alot worse than this drafting guys from other schools. Man that team was loaded.
I'm guessing that Lovie comes back from Georgia with a couple of Dawgs in his pocket.

PFF Draft on Twitter: "Devonte Wyatt is SWERVIN’💨 🎥: @BillyM_91 https://t.co/5JQeK0fXQR" / Twitter

Last edited:
Thinking out loud if Texans get that #8 pick from Falcons. Jordan Davis makes a lot of sense for the Texans given the running backs they play. The perfect antidote to the Derrick Henry and Jonathan Taylors the team plays is an athletically upgraded Ted Washington.

Figure out how to stop the RBs in the division and Lovie can start thinking of different ways to tell local media to screw off because he just won another AFC South title!

Thinking out loud if Texans get that #8 pick from Falcons. Jordan Davis makes a lot of sense for the Texans given the running backs they play. The perfect antidote to the Derrick Henry and Jonathan Taylors the team plays is an athletically upgraded Ted Washington.

Figure out how to stop the RBs in the division and Lovie can start thinking of different ways to tell local media to screw off because he just won another AFC South title!
If the Texans could land Ekwonu and Davis, I'd be thrilled

If the Texans could land Ekwonu and Davis, I'd be thrilled
A lot of merit in loading up the trenches.
After those two, Texans really need to bolster the secondary - a CB with the third pick and a Safety with the fourth would be sound strategy.
If they can land Kaiir Elam CB and figure out a way to move up for Jalen Pitre S, then this already has the look of a nice draft.

It's starting to look more and more like an Atlanta trade!
This would give us #8 to go with our #3.
My prediction is one of these will be used to trade back and give Texans three first round picks.
It will most likely be the #3 as Giants pick #5 & #7, split by Carolina at #6 - both will be looking hard at the QBs in this class and both will be looking to beat out the other and waiting until #4 (Jets) will be too obvious.
Other teams may also want to jump the queue and get the drop on the others for first bite of the QB cherry.
Would Giants #5 and their high 2nd rounder be enough compensation for #3? I think that is the starting point.
So, if it turns out Texans get #5 & #8 in this draft - then wow, we have the ability to take two foundational pieces!
My picks would be OL Icky Ekwonu #5 and Jordan Davis #8 - start with the trenches!
Then target Kaiir Elam CB and Jalen Pitre S in the second.
These 4 pieces would be a massive shot in the arm for this team.

It's starting to look more and more like an Atlanta trade!
This would give us #8 to go with our #3.
My prediction is one of these will be used to trade back and give Texans three first round picks.
It will most likely be the #3 as Giants pick #5 & #7, split by Carolina at #6 - both will be looking hard at the QBs in this class and both will be looking to beat out the other and waiting until #4 (Jets) will be too obvious.
Other teams may also want to jump the queue and get the drop on the others for first bite of the QB cherry.
Would Giants #5 and their high 2nd rounder be enough compensation for #3? I think that is the starting point.
So, if it turns out Texans get #5 & #8 in this draft - then wow, we have the ability to take two foundational pieces!
My picks would be OL Icky Ekwonu #5 and Jordan Davis #8 - start with the trenches!
Then target Kaiir Elam CB and Jalen Pitre S in the second.
These 4 pieces would be a massive shot in the arm for this team.
Interesting. Some thoughts just for discussion: I think Giants are rolling with Daniel Jones in his last contract season {5th year option declined} looking for their QB 2023. It would take 5 & 36 or 7 & 36 + another pick to get 1.3 and I just don't see that. Most mocks have them going OL at 5 usually Neal, Ekwonu or Cross and at 7 a defensive guy like Walker, Thibs or Hamilton. They do need a QB but I believe NYG goes for 2 starters rather than a risk at QB trading up. They would cut expenses as first round rookie pool now is ~ $8 m so a trade up for $1.3 ~$7 m saves a buck; I'm not opposed just doubt it.

I am still leaning towards EKwonu at#3 as he is overwhelmingly best LG candidate as he can play OT in NFL and I don't see Green or Zion doing that well. Salyer maybe but his 6'2 5/8" concerns me a bit for blind side. I draft him round three for RT if someone like Dolphins do not snap him up as RT is their blind. I keep trying to trade 3 for 9 and take Ickey but as you say NYG could take him. My hope is Neal would fall and NYG prefers him to Ickey. I want to restate I am not against taking Neal if he plays OG or RT now that Tunsil is here.

I like Jordan Davis but not that high and as Maliek Collins extended: it should be Roy Jones and him in the middle so no draft pick used.

Elam and Pitre in round two good!

With both #3 and #13 pick do we stay put? Trade down?

I'd stay put and select ikem/Neal and walker (if he fell but doubt it). Maybe even hamilton/sauce and cross???

Its a nice problem to have. Just like keeping Tunsil instead of trading him for a late 1st.

Do you get one of the top two OL at 3 (Ikem/Neal) or a defensive blue chipper if you can’t trade back is now the central question. 13 gives the team options. With pick 13 now secured they have two shots at a stud player. If they trade back could get more top 100 picks that will be playing meaningful snaps this season.

I’d like to see if they can move Howard for a top 100 pick. I don’t think he fits the scheme in any position. But I do think he has shown he is a capable pass blocking LT which another team should value. Instead of having him start on this OL, get a better fit and use the pick from trading him to add a starter elsewhere.

Ryan and Mayfield are now on the trading block thanks to the diva.

I would expect the Falcons to emerge as a potential trade partner at 3 for a new QB. Texans may get a second from them after all (maybe more?) if they want a chance to get their top choice for a QB.

Interesting. Some thoughts just for discussion: I think Giants are rolling with Daniel Jones in his last contract season {5th year option declined} looking for their QB 2023. It would take 5 & 36 or 7 & 36 + another pick to get 1.3 and I just don't see that. Most mocks have them going OL at 5 usually Neal, Ekwonu or Cross and at 7 a defensive guy like Walker, Thibs or Hamilton. They do need a QB but I believe NYG goes for 2 starters rather than a risk at QB trading up. They would cut expenses as first round rookie pool now is ~ $8 m so a trade up for $1.3 ~$7 m saves a buck; I'm not opposed just doubt it.

I am still leaning towards EKwonu at#3 as he is overwhelmingly best LG candidate as he can play OT in NFL and I don't see Green or Zion doing that well. Salyer maybe but his 6'2 5/8" concerns me a bit for blind side. I draft him round three for RT if someone like Dolphins do not snap him up as RT is their blind. I keep trying to trade 3 for 9 and take Ickey but as you say NYG could take him. My hope is Neal would fall and NYG prefers him to Ickey. I want to restate I am not against taking Neal if he plays OG or RT now that Tunsil is here.

I like Jordan Davis but not that high and as Maliek Collins extended: it should be Roy Jones and him in the middle so no draft pick used.

Elam and Pitre in round two good!
I understand liking Ekwonu at #3 because he can move over to LT in a year or two. But it is arguable that Green is the best pure OG in the draft. He has excelled at the position at all levels of play and his floor is a beach house on piles. I prefer him precisely because he should be available mid first round, allowing a trade down for additional picks. The Texans highest priority is improving the run game and to do that, the priority is a dominant interior o-line. Green would be the first piece.

With both #3 and #13 pick do we stay put? Trade down?
I think Caserio has to be flexible. If the trade back for #3 stays in the top 10 and nets a 2nd round pick, do it. #13 is trickier, because that might be where the top talent starts to taper off. If there is a Trevor Penning or Jermaine Johnson at #13, I'm staying. If not, I would move down in the mid-20's and look for Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green. I would also be very tempted to take Treylon Burks if here were available in the 20's.

Back