Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All aboard the AJ McCarron train

Mangler

Toro de España
Wouldn't mind seeing him play on the last game of the regular season. But, O’Brien’s Texas sized ego will demand Watson play all 4 quarters.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
He may play to win with the players he starts. Reid, DW4, Fuller, Stills, Gipson, Scarlett etc all should rest. These guys taping on limbs to play, give em a rest and let the backups play hard. The Titans may be planning their vacation anyway

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Which would likely see us play Pittsburgh or Tennessee instead of Buffalo in the wild card round and New England instead of Baltimore in the divisional. These are pretty obviously preferable matchups.
Right. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but a road that doesn't have Buffalo and Baltimore as your 1st 2 games will certainly be a little better road to navigate.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I don't think it matters which seed they are. There could possibly be a difference between the Steelers or the Bills depending on which Texans team shows up. Maybe.

In all honesty I'm not sure how much it matters. We're going to run up the middle on every first down no matter who the qb is.
God forbid he mix up the run call to something other than the same run up the middle play like every single first down. It amazes me they've won as many games as they have when they basically punt 1st down every single series.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don't think it matters which seed they are. There could possibly be a difference between the Steelers or the Bills depending on which Texans team shows up. Maybe.
The difference is;
3 seed - home vs. Pit/Ten or whoever else is still alive, @ NE 2nd round.
4 seed - home vs. Buffalo, @ Baltimore 2nd round (unless the 6th seed wins in round 1)

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Will the Bills be seeded higher than a division winner with a worse record?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Hmmmm... wondering is there a possibility of Texans vs Titans in the 1st round? These two teams would have played 3 times in 4 weeks!
Yes, under this scenario:

Texans with a better or equal record to the Chiefs.
AND

Titans finish with a better record than Steelers.
OR
Titans finish with the same record as Steelers in a 2 way tie.
OR
Titans, Steelers, Raiders finish 8-8 (Colts must lose).

Mangler

Toro de España
I'm hoping OB has a surprise or three up his sleeve for the postseason.
Please.
As long as the defense shows up like they did (in 3.75 quarters) against the Patriots, and play like they did against the Bucs we should be alright. That’ll carry our dumpster fire of an offense to victory. Let’s hope Cal has a few surprises for us after this season is over!

amazing80

Hall of Fame
The difference is;
4 seed - home vs. Buffalo, @ Baltimore 2nd round (unless the 6th seed wins in round 1)
I think the Tacks have a legit shot at upsetting KC. Reid seems to choke in the playoffs

Byrds Man

Waterboy
We need to wait and see what the Chiefs do tonight. If the Bears can pull off an upset then OB should play the starters next week because the Texans hold the tie breaker and would become the 3rd seed. I'd rather not play the Bills in the wildcard game.

i

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
We need to wait and see what the Chiefs do tonight. If the Bears can pull off an upset then OB should play the starters next week because the Texans hold the tie breaker and would become the 3rd seed. I'd rather not play the Bills in the wildcard game.

i
Don't need to wait and see. Even if the Chiefs win tonight, the Texans can still get the 3 seed with a win next week and a KC loss. So regardless of tonight's outcome, Texans should be playing to win next week, meaning AJ McCarron can remain on the bench.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Don't need to wait and see. Even if the Chiefs win tonight, the Texans can still get the 3 seed with a win next week and a KC loss. So regardless of tonight's outcome, Texans should be playing to win next week, meaning AJ McCarron can remain on the bench.
And if Watson or Hopkins or Tunsil or any top-end defender blows out their knee, will It be worth it?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
And if Watson or Hopkins or Tunsil or any top-end defender blows out their knee, will It be worth it?
That could happen in practice. Injuries are part of the game and you deal with them as they come.

There's still advantages to be gained by putting yourself in position to do so. How are you going to feel if the Chargers beat KC next week and we lose because we treated it like a preseason game?

Granted, I'm not real sure the Texans chances against the Titans, for a 3rd time in 4 weeks, are that much better than going ahead and playing Buffalo, BUT, there's still a chance we could play Pittsburgh, which I like those chances a lot, and you avoid Baltimore for at least another week. Maybe. Hell, I even like our chances winning our 1st ever game in Foxborough better than facing Bills, followed by Ravens.

I get the concern with injury, but still think you've got to try and gain every advantage you can.

Genxer66

Practice Squad
If he's going to play a multi-year proven veteran in Lamar Miller in a meaningless preseason game, there's no doubt in my mind they'll be playing everybody of importance next week.
And I am really kind of glad they did because Carlos Hyde has been a beast and made Lamar Miller dispensable in a contract year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Which would likely see us play Pittsburgh or Tennessee instead of Buffalo in the wild card round and New England instead of Baltimore in the divisional. These are pretty obviously preferable matchups.

They are playing a division rival … that played them close (7 points) last time they met in ChargerLand.

Moving to the #3 would be much preferable ….

With the way this season has gone , up down sideways and back again …. It just might happen that KC loses to an angry Phillip Rivers and Co.

I do worry about Watson tho …. the way he was favoring that ankle / Achilles area … I'm afraid.

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
F this..... As crappy as our offense has been the past few games they need all the reps they can get to figure out WTF they are doing wrong. and I can tell you a "great week of practice" isn't going to do the trick.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Da RAIDUUHHSSS are still alive if the Titans and Steelers both lose, I think. Maybe the Colts have to lose as well. But the black Hole has not been mathematically eliminated yet.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Chiefs have the Chargers at home this Sunday and they won't lose that game.
There's no way O'Brien plays Watson and Hopkins and other key starters more than a single series after we have the results of the Chiefs
game which will be concluded before our KO with the just announced flex.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Chiefs have the Chargers at home this Sunday and they won't lose that game.
There's no way O'Brien plays Watson and Hopkins and other key starters more than a single series after we have the results of the Chiefs
game which will be concluded before our KO with the just announced flex.
2018 Chiefs won first game at Chargers by 10, lost second game @ home...
Division games are unpredictable

Porky

Hall of Fame
If the Chargers pull of a major upset, I'm going for broke.

If (as I suspect) KC wins - I'm playing it sort of like a 3rd preseason game. Key starters play anywhere from a qtr to 3 qtr's and I let the chips fall where they may. I might start Watson for a half. After that crap show on Sunday I try to get him in a little better rhythm and get some confidence going into WC weekend. And I let AJ play half 2 to get him some live action to knock off some rust in the unlikely event (knock on wood) he has to be inserted into a game in the playoffs.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Nobody thinks the Texans can go into Baltimore and manhandle the Ravens.
Nope. But if we can put that off until at least the AFC title game, or maybe someone else we don’t think can manhandle them knocks them out before then, I’d much rather go that route.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Nope. But if we can put that off until at least the AFC title game, or maybe someone else we don’t think can manhandle them knocks them out before then, I’d much rather go that route.
Me too. As long as we’re not risking Watson in a meaningless Week 17 game just before the playoffs.