Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

After the first pre-season game, how do you rate NC's first draft class?

vtech9

All Pro
I'm just curious. I know a lot of the members here were really down on this years draft, and I'm just wondering if you all still feel the same, or if you think we actually did better or worse. I think I'll come back to this after the pre-season, and all of the cuts have been made also. For now, this is just first impressions after the first preseason game.

vtech9

All Pro
Yeah, I know it's too early to rank them. I was just curious if anyone's opinions changed from what they thought initially after the draft. I was reading the Roy Lopez thread, and some were real harsh about the pick.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
To early, but the two 3rd round draftees looked OK against the other teams wannabes. We'll have to wait before we see what, if anything, they amount to in real games.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
They won a pre-season game against a team that has almost as many QB issues as we do. Even if they had Rodgers GB would use these games to shift through their wannabes and shake a little rust off their vets.

We have to use them to see if we even have a team that deserves to be called an NFL team because that was in question all off season. I’m not down on them but I’m also not convinced about anything either.

See where we stand about week 8, that will decide my mind one way or another. That maybe to soon for some to judge a draft but it will be a pretty good judge of Caserio as a GM.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Have we been able to get a true judgment of last year’s draft yet? I would say the jury is still out. So how the hell do you even attempt to judge this year’s class after one preseason game?

Mills played 32 snaps. He had 50% completions, 0 TD, 1 INT, 5.1 Y/A, 46 passer rating. That’s a horrible stat line, yet he’s been praised nonstop for doing better than most expected? That said, I’m not cracking him for having that stat line either. It was his first freaking pro game!!!

Collins played 32 snaps and had just 1 target. It was a catch for 24 yards, but 1 target in 32 plays?

Jordan had 22 snaps. 1 catch, 3 targets.

Wallow, 26 snaps, 2 tackles, 1 assist.

Lopez, 22 snaps, 1 sack

I know stats aren’t the end all be all, especially for the defensive guys, like other than eyeballing it there’s no stats to tell how they stonewalled blocks to help stuff the run and things like that, but that’s the results of 1 practice game against the Packers 2nd and 3rd teams.

Judge away.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Have we been able to get a true judgment of last year’s draft yet? I would say the jury is still out. So how the hell do you even attempt to judge this year’s class after one preseason game?

Mills played 32 snaps. He had 50% completions, 0 TD, 1 INT, 5.1 Y/A, 46 passer rating. That’s a horrible stat line, yet he’s been praised nonstop for doing better than most expected? That said, I’m not cracking him for having that stat line either. It was his first freaking pro game!!!

Collins played 32 snaps and had just 1 target. It was a catch for 24 yards, but 1 target in 32 plays?

Jordan had 22 snaps. 1 catch, 3 targets.

Wallow, 26 snaps, 2 tackles, 1 assist.

Lopez, 22 snaps, 1 sack

I know stats aren’t the end all be all, especially for the defensive guys, like other than eyeballing it there’s no stats to tell how they stonewalled blocks to help stuff the run and things like that, but that’s the results of 1 practice game against the Packers 2nd and 3rd teams.

Judge away.
You answered your own question by saying that the judgment should based upon what we see and how each player responded to what he was confronted with..

Final evaluation can come later but it is possible to comment on what we see knowing that might change.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
You answered your own question by saying that the judgment should based upon what we see and how each player responded to what he was confronted with..

Final evaluation can come later but it is possible to comment on what we see knowing that might change.
I'm not saying we can't give assessments on what we see game by game, but nobody should be coming to any conclusions yet. Especially after 1 practice game.

vtech9

All Pro
I'm not saying we can't give assessments on what we see game by game....
That's exactly what I was asking for. Just a basic assessment.

My initial assessment after one pre-season game is.....

Round 3 • Pick 3 (67) • QB Davis Mills - Mills is about where I expected him to be. I'm still Meh on the pick.

Round 3 • Pick 26 (89) • WR Nico Collins - I thought he had potential, but didn't really expect much from him. I've raised my impression of him so far. I think he has a chance to be a stud.

Round 5 • Pick 3 (147) • TE Brevin Jordan - Even though he was a 5th round pick, I thought he was good enough to be a starter this year. I'm not so sure right now. He hasn't really impressed me yet.

Round 5 • Pick 26 (170) • LB Garret Wallow - I thought he would be a special teams player, with the chance to get some playing time at LB if he made the final roster. He's about where I thought he would be.

Round 6 • Pick 11 (195) • DL Roy Lopez - I was really happy with this pick. I thought he had the potential to be a beast. I didn't really expect a lot from him this season though. So far, he looks to be ahead of where I thought he would be.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
That's exactly what I was asking for. Just a basic assessment.
Well then I gave my assessment in post #15. None of the 5 really stood out, including Mills, who yes, did show some flashes, particularly on 2 or 3 3rd downs, but at the end of the day, his stat sheet was pretty bad.

I'm not going to go back and rewatch a preseason game, but I seem to remember noticing Lopez doing a good job of clogging things up. He got a sack, but it was a coverage sack. I won't hold that against him though. And this was late in the game against 3rd stringers. So very hard to judge anything when you're playing lesser talent.

And I will say that I had to watch the game through the Packers feed so it was hard to get good replays of the Texans doing good things.

Round 3 • Pick 26 (89) • WR Nico Collins - I thought he had potential, but didn't really expect much from him. I've raised my impression of him so far. I think he has a chance to be a stud.
May I ask what raised your impression of him? He had the 1 catch on the 1 target in 32 plays in the game, so it couldn't have been that, could it?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Not much left to work with but Caserio did best he could under circumstances. Get best QB available, big WR to throw open, help on defensive side and special teams.

looking forward to next years Draft with a full toolbox to work with:wesmantexanfan:

my sig says it all who I want round one

vtech9

All Pro
May I ask what raised your impression of him? He had the 1 catch on the 1 target in 32 plays in the game, so it couldn't have been that, could it?
Mostly from what little I've seen of training camp. On one of the plays during TC, he made John Reid look like a kid.

The plays not going to him in the game are not his fault. The combination of Driskell, Mills, and the running game prevented any of the receivers from doing much.

Dejaview

All Pro
Mostly from what little I've seen of training camp. On one of the plays during TC, he made John Reid look like a kid.

The plays not going to him in the game are not his fault. The combination of Driskell, Mills, and the running game prevented any of the receivers from doing much.
Guy reminds me so much like AJ size wise. He’s a load downfield. Regarding your running game comment, DC this week made a comment that the Texans need to run more but he gave no other comments why. If that running game is working imagine what those big receivers could do…Conley, Collins, and Brown. Thinking red zone here.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Let’s not forget John Reid was the one turning heads in camp last year, then barely saw playing time during the season on a bad secondary.

Not a knock on Collins as I think he’ll be alright. It’s just that I haven’t seen anything yet.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Mills looked pretty good. Room to grow, but solid so far.

Nico was only targeted 1-2 times, but great catch and run. Kid looks really promising.

The front 7 played well and I liked the pressure. The DBs played better than last year but still gave away way too many easy competitions.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Mills looked pretty good. Room to grow, but solid so far.

Nico was only targeted 1-2 times, but great catch and run. Kid looks really promising.

The front 7 played well and I liked the pressure. The DBs played better than last year but still gave away way too many easy competitions.
The easy completions I remember were over the middle seams. This is the soft spot of 4-3 defenses and will always be attacked there. Don't know what the solution is, but good LB coverage and pressure on QB.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
NC and staff looked prepared….and the players played like they were prepared. This is such an iffy upcoming season that if the team arrives prepared for all 17 games, then Caserio’s season will have been a success. There will be some players that will make it to 2022 as starters or valuable depth chart players and then, Caserio will finally be in a position to add top talent via the draft in 2022.

Last edited:

TripleTap

Dead Wood
It was the first preseason game. They looked good, pretty good, more or less. Better than they usually look, better than they have looked in prior years. I'll wait a few game to draw and conclusions, but so far I am somewhat impressed. The lines were both strong.We have a running back or two. The QBs (2 of 'em) looked ok, maybe better than expected. Did I miss Watson? Not at all.

Dejaview

All Pro
The easy completions I remember were over the middle seams. This is the soft spot of 4-3 defenses and will always be attacked there. Don't know what the solution is, but good LB coverage and pressure on QB.
Yeah, should be a target for next year’s draft. Will be good to see what Kirksey will add. He seems to be the leader of the LB’s and I don’t remember seeing him on the field at GB .

Dejaview

All Pro
Was reading some of the D’s interviews from this week. Said they played just the base D in GB but Lovie has begun adding some new twists this week. hopefully something to address this issue?