Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

After further review...

Pitts too, Chester was tossed around by Jenkins a few times and he's our heaviest lineman.

Size matters but so does balance and footwork, no matter how big you are if you put yourself out of balance even the smaller defensive linemen can toss you like a rag doll. Most of these guys bench well over 400lbs, you just have to put yourself in a position to where you aren't overextending. When you overextend, all someone has to do is get up under your pads and push, the pads come up into your face, you can't see and the next thing you know you are getting pushed over. It's what happens.

Reggie white used to be the master at getting even some of the best OL out of position and using his right arm to throw them 3-4 yards and just run down the QB.

I never blamed our play calling as to why the Jets were blitzing. I was simply stating that WHEN the Jets were blitzing over and over and over, we didn't run any quick passing routes or screens. The Jets also had no running game going at all but their passing game was open all day.

Instead of throwing the quick short routes, apparently we decided running screens like crazy was a great alternative, I'm guessing they knew ahead of time Schaub couldn't throw worth a crap after the sideline chalk ankle incident, and wanted to make it easier on him.

One more thing that makes me question Kubiak. When we had the Jets at 4th and 2 with 23 seconds to go in the half, WHY would you not call a time out? That forces them to punt the ball. Instead, he lets the clock wind down, the Jets call time out with 2 seconds left, and know they can try a hail mary pass because time will have run out. You can't do that with 23 seconds because an incomplete pass allows the Texans to take over with good enough field position to take a couple of shots downfield, or to try to get into field goal range.

Kubes was asked about this on his afternoon show yesterday, and his response was, "I just didn't see a reason to call a timeout there". ??????????

If you remember right they had the ball with a little over 2 minutes to go in the half and were happy with just wrapping up the half and going in. We weren't even in 2 minute mode.. It was pretty bad.

I think what was disturbed me some was they brought good pressure, but they did close down the hot routes which is what the jets were doing. Sanchez never made it to his 2nd or even 3rd read. If they brought pressure, he was staring down washington or keller. If the staff was watching any preseason, they would know that sanchez wants to get out the pocket to his right. So if they bring pressure from his right and close up leon the safety valve, then they couldve done better.

Another thing is against a blitzing overaggressive defense, they ran 1 screen. I think a small athletic line like the texans should run 5 screen passes a game. It was obvious schaub was hurt. No rollout, no boots, no nothing. When you play against a guy like jenkins, you want to get him moving from side to side and get him tired. In fact, a no huddle wouldve been a good adjustment.

I'm glad someone other than me said this.

Pitts is a fan favorite, and for the longest time he's been considered our best. Problem is, just like Dunta... our best wasn't very good.

It's time to move on from Pitts. Put Caldwell in there. He can't be any worse, and if we can get away with starting Brown as a rookie, we should be fine starting Caldwell.
Pitts was a pro bowl alternate last year Einstein. If you had a clue to what you were talking about I'd give you more cred, but I can't. Guys get pushed around on a given snap here and there...even Jenkins. You are just going to lose some battles out there. All those guys are pros.

Credibility is hard to attain...but easy to lose.

I think what was disturbed me some was they brought good pressure, but they did close down the hot routes which is what the jets were doing. Sanchez never made it to his 2nd or even 3rd read. If they brought pressure, he was staring down washington or keller. If the staff was watching any preseason, they would know that sanchez wants to get out the pocket to his right. So if they bring pressure from his right and close up leon the safety valve, then they couldve done better.

Another thing is against a blitzing overaggressive defense, they ran 1 screen. I think a small athletic line like the texans should run 5 screen passes a game. It was obvious schaub was hurt. No rollout, no boots, no nothing. When you play against a guy like jenkins, you want to get him moving from side to side and get him tired. In fact, a no huddle wouldve been a good adjustment.

Boots and rollouts work off play action. We weren't running the ball and when we did it was stuffed. Boots probably wouldn't have worked and Schaub would've been met in the backfield.

But, I think we should've tried it, at least.

Boots and rollouts work off play action. We weren't running the ball and when we did it was stuffed. Boots probably wouldn't have worked and Schaub would've been met in the backfield.

But, I think we should've tried it, at least.
he would have been destroyed with naked boots vs that defensive scheme....they were gap controlling and looking for it. What is mind boggling to me is that when you cover all the gaps and send extra men you have to take someone out of coverage. Supposedly Kubiak said that Andre had an extra man on him all day. My question is how come the Jets D controlled ALL the gaps, put an extra man on AJ and nobody else got open? The Jets weren't allowed to play 14 men. Scheme and playcalling, is the reason the team floundered. The team was totally outcoached Sunday.

3 downlineman + 4 linebackers + at least one extra blitzer + 2 defensive backs on AJ = 2 remaining defenders for all our receivers.

I'm glad someone other than me said this.

Pitts is a fan favorite, and for the longest time he's been considered our best. Problem is, just like Dunta... our best wasn't very good.

It's time to move on from Pitts. Put Caldwell in there. He can't be any worse, and if we can get away with starting Brown as a rookie, we should be fine starting Caldwell.

I understand Myers isn't huge (like Saturday & Mawae), but IMHO, we need more of our OL playing Kubiak's way before we can replace him or Briesel.

Pitts isn't playing Kubiak ball anyway, go ahead and get him out of there. Then we'd have three guys who know how to block downfield. Replace Myers or Briesel, and you're still at two.

First of all, I agree that Pitts has extended periods of the season in the past where he seems inconsistent... and, I get frustrated too. However, as high as I am on Caldwell that would be a definite worse. Pitts is easily our strongest interior lineman. With the issues we are having up the middle, the last thing I would want to do is replace him.

he would have been destroyed with naked boots vs that defensive scheme....they were gap controlling and looking for it. What is mind boggling to me is that when you cover all the gaps and send extra men you have to take someone out of coverage. Supposedly Kubiak said that Andre had an extra man on him all day. My question is how come the Jets D controlled ALL the gaps, put an extra man on AJ and nobody else got open? The Jets weren't allowed to play 14 men. Scheme and playcalling, is the reason the team floundered. The team was totally outcoached Sunday.

I agree on all accounts. Plus, it might not say much for our WR's behind AJ and KW. IMO, Davis doesn't belong in the middle of the field for obvious reasons.

I agree on all accounts. Plus, it might not say much for our WR's behind AJ and KW. IMO, Davis doesn't belong in the middle of the field for obvious reasons.

I never understand the way they use AD. He needs to come in and run streaks. Keep the secondary honest and wear 'em out a little. He's fast as hell. The only other play I see him running would be a slant with some rubbing going on inside. That might free him up to take one a long way. He should be our Bernard Berrian.

Hou-Tex, I never said playaction boots and rolls. A lot of times moving the pocket using sprint rollouts which gets the defense moving from side to side is what i'm talking about. Sprint the qb out and set outside of the rt and read dragging routes. Then you can come back with some of that same action and throw backside screens. Guys like jenkins,haynesworth, and rogers who carry 330 plus don't like moving side to side and most times give up because they're pentrating to a point, but the point is no longer there. That's what the criticism was on how badly brady was hurt during the sb. Normally they would move the pockets with semi rolls or full rolls away from pressure, but since his ankle was in bad shape, they left him at the midline all game. Schaub was in the same situation. No half rolls or full spprint rolls to get away from pressure. AJ on the opposite field dragging all the way across with a high low makes for easy completions against a ultra aggressive defense. It didn't happen because schaub is hurt.

Hou-Tex, I never said playaction boots and rolls. A lot of times moving the pocket using sprint rollouts which gets the defense moving from side to side is what i'm talking about. Sprint the qb out and set outside of the rt and read dragging routes. Then you can come back with some of that same action and throw backside screens. Guys like jenkins,haynesworth, and rogers who carry 330 plus don't like moving side to side and most times give up because they're pentrating to a point, but the point is no longer there. That's what the criticism was on how badly brady was hurt during the sb. Normally they would move the pockets with semi rolls or full rolls away from pressure, but since his ankle was in bad shape, they left him at the midline all game. Schaub was in the same situation. No half rolls or full spprint rolls to get away from pressure. AJ on the opposite field dragging all the way across with a high low makes for easy completions against a ultra aggressive defense. It didn't happen because schaub is hurt.

Ah, gotcha. Kinda like the QB taking it upon himself to move the pocket, so to speak. Hell, I think I would've been trying everything in order to get Schaub some extra time.

Agree, I was just talking about moving the pocket in another thread.

You want these big guys to run all day so they would get tired.

Another thing is they need to learn Schaub the art of the quick pump fake.

Would love to see that. Patriots ran that for Moss quite a few times last night with very good results. I dont recall Brady moving much at all for that play either.

Another thing they can mix in is to put 2 TEs on the same side (or employ a 3-TE set).

This way, all the linemen don't have to guess which blitzer they have to take on.

Then move the QB slightly to that side.

I would sell out my first three picks to get Taylor Mays if we weren't (at this rate anyway) going to end up in the top 5 anyway.
As we did not trade up to get Raji, I would not anticipate one for a free safety, especially as Smith seems ok with what we have.

Ah, gotcha. Kinda like the QB taking it upon himself to move the pocket, so to speak. Hell, I think I would've been trying everything in order to get Schaub some extra time.

Those big nt guys don't like getting cut,wham blocked,or moving side to side. I watched him handle mawae last yr, but I also saw him wear down in their losing streak.

I don't know if you watched jerry rhome when the oilers were here and he had chandler. They had a play when chandler would sprint roll to the right and setup while the backside reciever would run either a streak or deep post. Chandler wasn't the most agile guy, but that was a great play for them. Getting away from jenkins and making revis cover aj on deep digs.

Exactly! I kept hearing that AJ was double covered & no one else was open?

Another thing they can mix in is to put 2 TEs on the same side (or employ a 3-TE set).

This way, all the linemen don't have to guess which blitzer they have to take on.

Then move the QB slightly to that side.

Yeah, 2 tights to balance the def formation and a check with me release worked well with the titans vs pitts thursday. Or a unbalance line with a extra tackle on the los. If the have 7 in the box,run to unbanced side, if have 8, that means 1 on 1 with aj,davis,od, with slaton releasing late in the flat. Since the unbalance is to the right and od is on the left, if they overload blitz, they would have 2 tackles and a back on that side.

I never understand the way they use AD. He needs to come in and run streaks. Keep the secondary honest and wear 'em out a little. He's fast as hell. The only other play I see him running would be a slant with some rubbing going on inside. That might free him up to take one a long way. He should be our Bernard Berrian.

What you mean like using the fastest guy on the team to run routes that not only are an advantage to him but might open up other opportunities because of the stretch in coverages?

Whatever holmes. What's next, using James Casey in places where you need a big guy who can catch and run? Using David Anderson in anything besides blocking? Going with the runner that is consistently gaining yards even if he's not the listed #1? Oh maybe you would like to throw the ball to your two probowl receivers too?

Derpa derpity dooooo

I was surprised we had Hill deactivated when the reason we drafted him was to give the OL help against 3-4 defenses. Especially since Schaub's ankle wasn't at 100% and we know he's gonna be a sitting duck against a Rex Ryan defense.

It looked liked the OL could've used all the help it could get!

Wrong...

The reason why the Jets were blitzing was because we never established a running game....it had nothing to do with the play call. If Houston can run the ball (If Slaton can lose 20 pounds) you'll see the passing game open up.

How you gonna run the ball when your starter looks like he auditioning for Dancing with the Stars. Slaton tip-toed and danced all day long. You can't do that against a smash-mouth defense. You have to bring it. Slaton looked like an over-weight Reggie Bush. Go back and watch the "tape". Slaton never once ran hard. And the one time he actually took a decent hit, he upchucked the ball.

Chris Brown ran hard - the three times he got to carry the ball - and got benched for his trouble.

Do we have a QB on the roster with enough arm to get it out to our "Berrian"?

How you gonna run the ball when your starter looks like he auditioning for Dancing with the Stars. Slaton tip-toed and danced all day long. You can't do that against a smash-mouth defense. You have to bring it. Slaton looked like an over-weight Reggie Bush. Go back and watch the "tape". Slaton never once ran hard. And the one time he actually took a decent hit, he upchucked the ball.

Chris Brown ran hard - the three times he got to carry the ball - and got benched for his trouble.

I noticed Slaton's poor vision in the preseason. I don't know what happened to him. He is dancing and just not running through the proper holes. There haven't been a lot of holes to begin with but he isn't maximizing or even coming close to maximizing what is there.

Everything looks bad this year guys. Poor run defense, limited pass rush from front four and poor safety play = terrible defense. Ineffective run game, a quarterback who can't read blitzes and change protection, and a fragile quarterback = limited points.

Looks like we are back to the bottom.

Last edited:
Do we have a QB on the roster with enough arm to get it out to our "Berrian"?

Both the subs have more arm strength than Schaub.
But Kubiak won't make the change until we've lost 3-4 in a row.
Orlovsky has the strongest arm of the three but he's Orlovsky. He's already lost the faith of the coaches. You won't see him anytime soon either.
Kubiak hasn't seen enough of Rex to yank his "Chosen One", Schaub, in favor of Rex.

I would.
Next week, Rex would start. And so would Chris Brown.

Both the subs have more arm strength than Schaub.
But Kubiak won't make the change until we've lost 3-4 in a row.
Orlovsky has the strongest arm of the three but he's Orlovsky. He's already lost the faith of the coaches. You won't see him anytime soon either.
Kubiak hasn't seen enough of Rex to yank his "Chosen One", Schaub, in favor of Rex.

I would.
Next week, Rex would start. And so would Chris Brown.

I would start Brown but not Rex. Too early for my blood to gamble with the leadership of the team. Maybe you tell Schaub he's on a short leash but starting Rex would send a message either sky high if they won or to the bottom of bottoms if they lose...and since their playing an "angry" Titans team I've got my doubts about winning.

I noticed Slaton's poor vision in the preseason.

I mentioned the same thing and got slamed. granted I "noticed" a tendency to break the ball to the left every time, then in Minnesota it looked like right was the way he was going to go, if he decided to cut.

Last year, he showed good vision. This year, I haven't seen it. But he's lacking his burst right now, more than anything.

QFT. "Running to set up the pass" is the most made up concept EVER. What worked last year? Over the middle to OD, opening up Slaton to the run and AJ to the long bomb.

WTF are we back to run, run, run (-3 net) then throw?

Sid Gillman the late ex Chargers/Oilers coach said that running to set up the pass is horseshit. He always said you pass to set up the run.

Rex Grossman over Schaub...lol, oh really?

We may be in the running for drafting a legit QB this coming draft, yes. However, I'm thinking it will be one of those groom and school types not a start you first day...aka a second or third rounder unless we absolutely suck and are drafting in the top five.

Btw, Sanchez is kinda the real deal; he was impressive...even against our horrid D he didn't walk around like a rookie. The guy has swagger and an obvious love for the game...im not gonna deny that.

I would start Brown but not Rex. Too early for my blood to gamble with the leadership of the team. Maybe you tell Schaub he's on a short leash but starting Rex would send a message either sky high if they won or to the bottom of bottoms if they lose...and since their playing an "angry" Titans team I've got my doubts about winning.

I think this says it all.

Texan fans expect the Titans to be angry and come out with fire in their bellies, our Texans...not so much.

This team does not inspire confidence, but it's their own doing.

Like many others here I am also losing confidence in this staff.

Schaub injuring himself on the chalk line :foottap:, that experiment should be dead in the water.

:coffee:

From the Anthony Alridge's thread, this play is actually one of the examples of actually moving the pocket that I was thinking of.
It fits right into our scheme on the O-line.

The QB is in shotgun, he doesn't need the extra movement of taking the snap from center, drop back and/or turn to roll out.
Less footwork = easier on the ankle.
He's ready to strike from the get-go if needed.

Any blitzer would find it not an easy task.

In this case, the D is in an OVER front, with the NT to the weakside.

But the Jets can be in their prevalent UNDER front with the NT on the strong side and the SAM outside (or on) the TE, and MS would be OK just the same.

Or they can be in a 5-man front, it doesn't matter all that much.

They can even line up Jenkins on top of Myers, and at best (if he can time the snap perfectly) he will find himself shooting straigth through the gap untouched, surprised, trying to regain balance and veer left toward the QB.

At the very worst, the QB can easily throw the ball away.

A 6-man front here would be very dangerous for the Defense.
There will be somebody in one-and-one, and/or either the slot receiver or the RB can easily become the hot receiver in the soft zone.
Either wide-out can run a home-run fly route if the CB play press-man coverage.
Or he can run a comebacker quickly if the DB play off-man.

The 3-3 with Jenkins playing like MLB will take forever to get there.

The nickel back would also find it difficult to blitz whether he lines up outside the slot receiver or inside.

There are so many things I like about this play.

Another one is that the QB can survey the whole field with ease.
His viewing angle might be the same (I'd say it's a little smaller) but his peripheral vision should improve.
He can survey the receivers on his right hand side on the roll out to see whether there's a situation he likes.
Before he plants his foot he would have already seen the receivers on his left as well.

Yet another one is that he can see his backside clearly as the other.
There should be no QB hit on this play.

After watching it again, let me add something else. Our safeties/secondary take a lot of flack for coverage, but diles and ryans are terrible in coverage. You can't really blame the rookie Cushing, but when I watched it again, the route recognition and the ability to squeeze windows is not there. Most people think its just the back 4, but the backs and te's working against the lbs is a advantage for the opposition.

What really makes a solid defense is not only the pressure from the front 7, but lb's closing the mezzanine area between them and the backend. Go watch Minny and their 3 lb's and you will see 3 guys that really make those windows tight. The bucs with brooks and crew were also great at this. The texans lbs need to get better at understanding those inside angles to the qb.

After watching it again, let me add something else. Our safeties/secondary take a lot of flack for coverage, but diles and ryans are terrible in coverage. You can't really blame the rookie Cushing, but when I watched it again, the route recognition and the ability to squeeze windows is not there. Most people think its just the back 4, but the backs and te's working against the lbs is a advantage for the opposition.

What really makes a solid defense is not only the pressure from the front 7, but lb's closing the mezzanine area between them and the backend. Go watch Minny and their 3 lb's and you will see 3 guys that really make those windows tight. The bucs with brooks and crew were also great at this. The texans lbs need to get better at understanding those inside angles to the qb.

This is a very good point that is overlooked by many....

Most of the time it seems that the linebacker is just a step or two away from stopping that 3rd down conversion.

Part of that may be due to the inexperience of our LB group. Would be nice to see Cato in there at Will in passing situations.

That said, I think a very good safety tandem would greatly improve our 3rd down defense.

I completely agree. However, I will say that the Texans Linebackers did perform better in coverage last season, than they did in '06 & '07, & I was hoping they would continue their development this year. I think the LBs in that middle level have to make it difficult for the QB to find throwing lanes. Instead, they can usually put the ball on a rope to just about any place on the field.

Yesterday, I think we focused on shutting down the run so much, that we didn't even have people in that mid level. We played man coverage so much, with our LBs trying to get into the backfield, it wasn't difficult for their receivers to get open once Sanchez started to scramble.

Which is another thing. To see someone come out of college, and move like that, and be as accurate as he was... I mean I wish it was against someone else... Actually I wish it was our QB making someone else's defense look stupid.

Dream'n right?

Thunderkyss, what bothers me is the disconnect between levels and the inability to adjust. Anyone watching any lick of football will know sanchez never flushes left and in the game never made it to his 2nd read. He basically went to his initial read all day and under pressure since they treated washington like a slug back, the dumpoffs in space were easy.

Look, i'm not saying sanchez isn't going to be good, i'm saying the defensive staff made it way too easy on a rookie on the road. They shouldve been robbing routes and pressure taking away his 1st and 2nd reads early to put doubt in his mind.

Thunderkyss, what bothers me is the disconnect between levels and the inability to adjust. Anyone watching any lick of football will know sanchez never flushes left and in the game never made it to his 2nd read. He basically went to his initial read all day and under pressure since they treated washington like a slug back, the dumpoffs in space were easy.

Look, i'm not saying sanchez isn't going to be good, i'm saying the defensive staff made it way too easy on a rookie on the road. They shouldve been robbing routes and pressure taking away his 1st and 2nd reads early to put doubt in his mind.

I've only recently started "breaking" down games. I wanted to know if we were just bad, untalented, or if we just didn't know what we were doing. I got hooked, on watching how our team play. But I had blinders on, and I would only look at our offense, or our defense.

I started watching, and "breaking" down other teams, & the difference is amazing. What other teams do as a unit that is. I mean if you watch Mario, Demeco, or Diles, you'll see how fast, strong, intuitive they are. But when you watch the Jets Defense, you can see how creative & frankly ruthless Rex Ryan is. If you watch any defensive play, you can break it down so far as to say, this is the area he was attacking. These are the things he did to draw attention over here. You can even see how he would set us up, from one play to the next.

When our team was on defense, we've got anywhere from 4 to 7 guys on the LOS each trying to do something else. Each guy has to try to beat the man in front of him, anticipate the play, and adjust as the play unfolds.

I've noticed the same thing on offense. When you watch the Colts, or the Pats play against zone coverage, you can see how their routes create a situation where a LB, Safety, or CB has to make a decision. It doesn't matter what decision he makes because the ball will go to whatever option he didn't take.

On our pass plays, if our guy isn't open at the LOS, he's not going to get open unless he's faster, or fools the CB, LB, Safety himself.

It helps to know what one is looking at whilst "breaking down" games or it is a lesson in futility.

Those big nt guys don't like getting cut,wham blocked,or moving side to side. I watched him handle mawae last yr, but I also saw him wear down in their losing streak.

I don't know if you watched jerry rhome when the oilers were here and he had chandler. They had a play when chandler would sprint roll to the right and setup while the backside reciever would run either a streak or deep post. Chandler wasn't the most agile guy, but that was a great play for them. Getting away from jenkins and making revis cover aj on deep digs.

I just finished watching the first half of the Pats/Jets game.

The Pats did a lot of things our posters mentioned.

They started with the no huddle and stayed with it throughout.
They ran away from Jenkins a lot, making him move sideways.
They double team him more, especially on long pass.
(There were even two triple-team.)
They went with the empty backfield & 5 receivers, throwing quick short pass.
They employed a lot of shotgun formation, making it harder for Jenkins and the Jets' D to get to the QB (farther to go).
They would trap-blocked him.
They even cut block him, who would have thunk!

We're known for cut-blocking, and I don't think we ever tried one on Jenkins, what a shame!

The Pats had good chances to score more than just those 3 FGs in the first half.

Back