Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AFCSouth QBs 3/22/21

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Until he proves it in the NFL, I'll only fear that mug if it's holding a tennis racket

His mechanics are about as good as you can expect from a guy with his length .... There have been very few successful QB's taller than 6'5" and the mechanics is the simple why. Geometry working against them.

Guys that long just cannot create a compact delivery and as a result struggle , particularly when the pocket gets dirty.
He'll probably look great when the pocket is clean or he's out of the pocket but he's going to be a total mess when under pressure.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Anyone want to lay any odds on the Texans going through at least five QBs this year? It's not like that haven't done it before.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
His mechanics are about as good as you can expect from a guy with his length .... There have been very few successful QB's taller than 6'5" and the mechanics is the simple why. Geometry working against them.

Guys that long just cannot create a compact delivery and as a result struggle , particularly when the pocket gets dirty.
He'll probably look great when the pocket is clean or he's out of the pocket but he's going to be a total mess when under pressure.
I'm not buying the 6'6 or taller QBs can't be successful in the NFL.
Those guys that didn't have success weren't much good to begin with.

The guy I don't know about was McGuire; otherwise, the others played about as expected.

One may even say that Schaub and Flacco overachieved.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not buying the 6'6 or taller QBs can't be successful in the NFL.
Those guys that didn't have success weren't much good to begin with.

The guy I don't know about was McGuire; otherwise, the others played about as expected.

One may even say that Schaub and Flacco overachieved.
Nothing you said or provided undermines Corrosion's basic point:

There have been very few successful QB's taller than 6'5"
76 basically provided the evidence even in. . .disagreement? idonno:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Two QB's 6'6" or taller have won superbowls .... Joe Flacco and Nick Foles.

Neither are really regarded as franchise types , they had great teams around them.

Their mechanics also support my geometry statement. Neither has a compact delivery that equates to a quick delivery / release of the ball.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Neither are really regarded as franchise types , they had great teams around them.

Their mechanics also support my geometry statement. Neither has a compact delivery that equates to a quick delivery / release of the ball.
Funny that we are familiar with at least three QBs on 76's list: Schaub, Osweiler, and Mallet. Obviously, only one of them was worth a hill of beans.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Read what the pros say.
You can jump all the way to the end for a quick summary.

michaelm

vox nihili

Just playing devil's advocate. Not disagreeing with your overall point.
2 super bowl winners 6'6" or taller is statically high.
That's 3.6% of all SB victories.
Only 1% of men in the US are 6'4" or taller.

(I'm not great at math or statistics, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Just playing devil's advocate. Not disagreeing with your overall point.
2 super bowl winners 6'6" or taller is statically high.
That's 3.6% of all SB victories.
Only 1% of men in the US are 6'4" or taller.

(I'm not great at math or statistics, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

When you look at it from that statistical view , yes that's a high figure ....

But when you look at it from the number of QB's 6'6" or taller who've played the game , its skewed the other way and its much more extreme .... only two out of thousands have reached the pinnacle of success.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

It's funny how you move the goal post from 6'5 to 6'6.

Schaub is closer to 6'6 than 6'5 , from his combine measurement result.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Rank them.

1. Ryan Tannehill
  2. Gardner Minshew
  3. Tyrod Taylor
  4. Carson Wentz
I think Minshew and Taylor should be battling it out for 4. Wentz isn't as bad as he's being made out to be. Dude had a bad year last year, but that's coming off 3 with 81 TD, 21 INT, 98.3 passer rating, and 260 yards per game. Taylor doesn't have a 3 year stretch anywhere near those numbers. And the only 3 year stretch of significance for him in his 10 year career is in Buffalo. Taylor is a career backup. Wentz is at least an average starter at worst.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
When you look at it from that statistical view , yes that's a high figure ....

But when you look at it from the number of QB's 6'6" or taller who've played the game , its skewed the other way and its much more extreme .... only two out of thousands have reached the pinnacle of success.
You look at it the wrong way.
How many guys ever play NFL QB that are over 6'5 or 6'6 ?
Their number vs. The field is so small, the odds are against thêm.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's funny how you move the goal post from 6'5 to 6'6.

Schaub is closer to 6'6 than 6'5 , from his combine measurement result.
He didn't move the goal post. It's about reading comprehension. He said taller than 6'5" from the beginning. He clarified 6'6" & taller because some guys were lumping 6'5" QBs in with their examples.

"Taller than 6'5"

Is the same as

6'6" & taller

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He didn't move the goal post. It's about reading comprehension. He said taller than 6'5" from the beginning. He clarified 6'6" & taller because some guys were lumping 6'5" QBs in with their examples.

"Taller than 6'5"

Is the same as

6'6" & taller
Schaub is taller than 6'5 but he ain't 6'6

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Read what the pros say.
You can jump all the way to the end for a quick summary.

I read the entire article and "the pros" have a lot to say about the subject from every angle. I do not see that article as exclusively supporting one side of the issue.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've always rooted for TT, he's got his limits & Wentz has the more talented arm but i'm deducting pts for what i've read of the Eagles' locker & film rooms.
I don’t think Wentz is the same guy the Eagles drafted. Talented as heck, but injuries have taken their toll & he plays as if he’s the only guy who can make a play way too much.

If the coaches in Indy can get him to settle down & think right, yeah he’s probably the most dangerous QB in the division.

I’m hoping he doesn’t figure it out & becomes the new Fitzpatrick.

I’m not to worried about Minschew/Lawrence. Not yet anyway.

I don’t think a lot of Tyrod Taylor. But in this division he could very well be the 2nd/3rd best QB.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I read the entire article and "the pros" have a lot to say about the subject from every angle. I do not see that article as exclusively supporting one side of the issue.
@Corrosion said:
"Guys that long cannot create a compact delivery".

That was rebuked by the article when it talked about Wentz and Osweiler.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

How many 6’6” QBs have lost a Super Bowl? And what are the major mechanical differences between a 6’5” and 6’6” QB?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Wake me when we get to China.... I wanna return my bluetooth earbuds from whence...oh wait we're talking QBs... Im mean Wentz they came.

No trip to China for you ..... the debate isn't worth the headache of trying to explain things to people who don't want to understand.