Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Access to training camp

JRingo

Rookie
Wonder how restricting access to tc to season ticket holders only will go over. Probably alienate even more. Thoughts??

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Wonder how restricting access to tc to season ticket holders only will go over. Probably alienate even more. Thoughts??
I would guess the news will elicit a collective shrug. Both Kubiak and O’Brien limited the number of practices for public viewing. Most fans can’t even remember when these training camp practices were a big deal.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Honestly I don’t get the hype of attending a training camp practice. Other than the autograph hounds.
Dunno how many TC practices you've attended but early on in the franchises existence they were very entertaining IMO.
For example I remember one summer back when Kubiack was still with the Broncos and they were in town for some joint practices one week, and I went to a practice which featured an interteam scrimmage which was very spirited. They also used to have lots of one-on-ones between Dlineman & Olinemame where a fan could get quite close to the action.
The crowd sizes got so large at practices that the intimacy factor began to wane, so maybe with less interest access may return to practices
this season ?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Dunno how many TC practices you've attended but early on in the franchises existence they were very entertaining IMO.
For example I remember one summer back when Kubiack was still with the Broncos and they were in town for some joint practices one week, and I went to a practice which featured an interteam scrimmage which was very spirited. They also used to have lots of one-on-ones between Dlineman & Olinemame where a fan could get quite close to the action.
The crowd sizes got so large at practices that the intimacy factor began to wane, so maybe with less interest access may return to practices
this season ?
I’m down for scrimmages with other teams. In fact, I’d like to see that replace preseason games. A glorified 3 hour scrimmage in the stadium. Absolutely. At least then you’d get to see the starters working, instead of watching a preseason game with a bunch of players that won’t make cuts.

But to just go out and watch them practice among themselves, there’s just no appeal there for me.

To each their own I suppose.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Honestly I don’t get the hype of attending a training camp practice. Other than the autograph hounds.
Before there were massive crowds at these things they were actually pretty fun to attend.

I could deal with the heat when the crowds weren’t as big and you could basically get right next to some of the drills.

But with the huge crowds now plus the heat it’s just not worth it to me.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Last time i went to a training camp Mario Williams was still a Texan & a dude passed out from heat exhaustion right next to me. Hasn't been worth it in years.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Last time i went to a training camp Mario Williams was still a Texan & a dude passed out from heat exhaustion right next to me. Hasn't been worth it in years.
I can’t remember if I ever went to a Bill O’Brien camp practice. Maybe not.

I did go to a couple of practices in 2013, where people were trying to convince me that Shiloh Keo could be a good punt returner. I used to like seeing the rookies the most. I saw Bennie Joppru get through a training camp practice in 2003. And he was pretty good.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I remember seeing Mario standing on the sidelines after a practice visiting with fans & signing autographs.
He was in shorts and a T-shirt and had about the most impressive physique I'd ever seen, of the male gender of course.
The thing that struct me the most about Williams was that to me he looked more like an NBA power forward than an NFL football player.
And at another training session got to met Dunta Robinson, one of my all-time favorite Texans, and I think pound for pound the biggest and fiercest hitter the teams ever had. Thing about Duna he was not very big, in the 160s I'd guess in spite of being advertised as larger.
Anyway defintely got some good memories from earlier days @ Texans TC.
And I'm pumped for the 2021 season, I love this sport, love the game, love the NFL and the Texans.

austins23

Hall of Fame
I got VIP passes to TC few years back. Only thing I got out of it was seeing how big these dudes actually are.
Clowney is stupid big. Watt is too. Duane Brown… seeing guys that big that nimble on their feet is something to see.
I remember thinking to myself, this Savage dude can throw the ball. Guy had some heat on it. Lol…

Anyway, I’m older now and don’t care to stand in that heat and humidity.