Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I have a decreased interest this season

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • about the same

Votes: 24 28.6%

• Total voters

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think it's important to note that for 2020 Watson cap is only 10 million dollars and 16 for 2021. Those are extremely valuable contract years for a QB that the McNairs believe can lead team to Super Bowl. We might not be the Chiefs but if this roster is what OB thinks it we should be competitive for years.

Oh.. Deep runs the river of my hope!

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The signing bonus isn't tied solely to any one year. It's paid in full already and spread cap-wise over several years. They're technically only on the hook for 5.4M of it for 2022. So they'd pay him 40.4M that year for nothing.

And I'm not advocating it.
I understand it, but I don't see throwing away $52M for nothing.

And it's not just that.

The Texans would still need to spend more money to pay somebody else to be the QB.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I think it's important to note that for 2020 Watson cap is only 10 million dollars and 16 for 2021. Those are extremely valuable contract years for a QB that the McNairs believe can lead team to Super Bowl. We might not be the Chiefs but if this roster is what OB thinks it we should be competitive for years.

Oh.. Deep runs the river of my hope!
I would have hope too, IF I hadn't already seen on the field during game time how OB thinks.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Most successful HC in Texans history
Id say Kubiak was. Kubiak took a garbage team and reached mediocrity.

OB took a mediocre team and hit the ceiling of mediocrity.

Not to mention... IF Rick is such a hinderence as you claim..to be effecting OB still to this day...... Kubiak did so contending with RS.

Either way even IF OB is the greatest/successful HC in Texans history or not...that is a short list to beat out and should be more a cause for concern than a title that excuses him.

I wouldnt be content with herpes just cause its not cancer.

My give a hoot meter has never been lower ....

OB was bad enough , now add Covid , the world being on fire and questionable roster on both sides of the ball with some really queer personnel decisions , no preseason , no tailgating .... no fans in the seats.

I can't remember a season I was looking forward to less ....

I feel like the best thing that could happen is a total meltdown so we can get rid of King OB.
I am no fan of King OB but I could never desire a bad season so that he could be fired. If we somehow won a Super Bowl or even went to the Super Bowl I would be happy and would overlook my previous misgivings about him. I like winning no matter who is leading the way to it.

I am not with you in regards to our roster changes. I think we had a pretty good off season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Id say Kubiak was. Kubiak took a garbage team and reached mediocrity.

OB took a mediocre team and hit the ceiling of mediocrity.

Not to mention... IF Rick is such a hinderence as you claim..to be effecting OB still to this day...... Kubiak did so contending with RS.

Either way even IF OB is the greatest/successful HC in Texans history or not...that is a short list to beat out and should be more a cause for concern than a title that excuses him.

I wouldnt be content with herpes just cause its not cancer.
Just look at the record it speaks for itself

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I am no fan of King OB but I could never desire a bad season so that he could be fired. If we somehow won a Super Bowl or even went to the Super Bowl I would be happy and would overlook my previous misgivings about him. I like winning no matter who is leading the way to it.

I am not with you in regards to our roster changes. I think we had a pretty good off season.

Thing is , I don't see this team going better than 6-10 this season IF that.

6-10 probably isn't enough to get him gone with Covid and all the other distractions , I'd rather go 4-12 or worse and be done with this guy than the 6-10 I see as their ceiling and have him stick around another year or three.

I think the defense is going to be atrocious and will be why they lose more than they win.

Those games they do win will be very high scoring affairs.

Maybe you feel they are better than I do .... and that they have some shot at getting to the super bowl , I just don't see it with this guy calling the shots. He just gave a fat extension to an ILB who gives up a 77.6% completion rate against.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans were 13-5 last season?
The overall record since BOB's been here and taking the team as far as they've ever been in the playoffs. This is an inconvenient truth for the haters.

With this said I would have no issue with BoB being let go as HC.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The overall record since BOB's been here and taking the team as far as they've ever been in the playoffs. This is an inconvenient truth for the haters.

With this said I would have no issue with BoB being let go as HC.

He took them no further than Kubiak did .... with a worse record.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One of them had an effective offense , the other .... not so much with a superstar QB.
They were/are both way too conservative for my taste. Gary got the QB he wanted. Ricky never got BOB the QB he wanted. Who is this superstar QB you speak of? Houston has never had a superstar QB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The new GM and the HC are on board in giving this "Non-Superstar" a Mega Deal.
Make no mistake about it.
The HC got the QB he wants.
Who is a non superstar that got a mega deal?

If true and I don't think it is, BOB will be fired for this decision and rightfully so. The question is will he last as long as DW4'S contract.

BTW, my interest has fallen off, but I will be watching Thursday night and I've got a friend coming in from Vegas to watch football that Sunday. I'm not really into NFL football right now, but getting to see my friend will be awesome. If that means having to watch the NFL so be it. We do this almost every yr.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Who is a non superstar that got a mega deal?

If true and I don't think it is, BOB will be fired for this decision and rightfully so. The question is will he last as long as DW4'S contract.

BTW, my interest has fallen off, but I will be watching Thursday night and I've got a friend coming in from Vegas to watch football that Sunday. I'm not really into NFL football right now, but getting to see my friend will be awesome. If that means having to watch the NFL so be it. We do this almost every yr.
If the defense didn’t save OB’s arse for the past 4 seasons....and we all know the OL played no part in it. Could it be the WR’s and TE’s? No, the TE’s mostly worked as additional OL and the receivers were mostly injured....except for that no good Hopkins character who only missed 2 games during that period. Running game was mediocre at best and the only time Watson went down with a season ending injury....the team was awful the rest of the way, hence 4-12.

Watson is getting paid based on what he’s earned to date and the upside he projects going forward since he’ll be playing behind the same OL for the first time in his Texans career. That statement is on paper only since the OL that’s starting this season spent most of last season injured. If this group really makes large strides this season....”you” will finally see why Watson got paid.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
In a perfect world for me, the Texans would win the Super Bowl in spite of glaring errors and deficiencies displayed by OB. I have never and will never root for the Texans to lose, regardless of the reason.

I don't want them to lose .... 19-0 damnit.

But when your expectations are that this team will never reach the promised land with this coach and the ultimate goal is winning it all ....

For the duration of the time he's here , my expectations are ..... mediocrity.

OB is under contract thru 2022 ... and I can't really see any scenario this season where he wouldn't return for 2021. They could make the playoffs and get embarrassed in a first round exit again and he'd be back. They could probably go 6-10 & miss the playoffs and he'd still return.

OB returning , to me means more of the same.

What is the means to the desired end ?

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
He's gone as far as Kubiak did twice. What I don't get is Kubiak/BOB are basically the same conservative HC's.
I agree, I wasn't a fan of Kubiak, much like I have grown tired of OB. It simply took someone like OB coming along to make me miss Kubiak and I NEVER thought I would say that.

Credit where it was due, Kubiak gave me a team that went from suck to mediocre. At first, it was enough to make me happy..... because it was forward progress. Now, I have sat in the pool of mediocrity for far to long for it to be anything but stagnant and hope can not survive there.

IF OB pulls it out and proves me wrong that is MUCH preferred than wasting all this time only to chase the dream with another HC/GM rebuild and all that comes with it.... but IF it is inevitable as it seems to be.... I WANT the rebuild under new leadership to start sooner rather than later. I don't root for OB to be shown the door cause I don't like OB or because I don't agree with moves he makes....... I want OB gone because of his track record and don't believe we move any further than we already have with him.

I would rejoice IF it were RS all this time and it took OB this long to overcome and his legacy starts now........ Im just not holding my breath.

Have fun with your friend hope they have a safe trip in from and back home to Vegas.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If the defense didn’t save OB’s arse for the past 4 seasons....and we all know the OL played no part in it. Could it be the WR’s and TE’s? No, the TE’s mostly worked as additional OL and the receivers were mostly injured....except for that no good Hopkins character who only missed 2 games during that period. Running game was mediocre at best and the only time Watson went down with a season ending injury....the team was awful the rest of the way, hence 4-12.

Watson is getting paid based on what he’s earned to date and the upside he projects going forward since he’ll be playing behind the same OL for the first time in his Texans career. That statement is on paper only since the OL that’s starting this season spent most of last season injured. If this group really makes large strides this season....”you” will finally see why Watson got paid.
This is what a dysfunctional org looks like.

Luckily we don't have to worry about this anymore.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't want them to lose .... 19-0 damnit.

But when your expectations are that this team will never reach the promised land with this coach and the ultimate goal is winning it all ....

For the duration of the time he's here , my expectations are ..... mediocrity.

OB is under contract thru 2022 ... and I can't really see any scenario this season where he wouldn't return for 2021. They could make the playoffs and get embarrassed in a first round exit again and he'd be back. They could probably go 6-10 & miss the playoffs and he'd still return.

OB returning , to me means more of the same.

What is the means to the desired end ?
I always felt this way when RS was here. Although you know how I felt about Kubiak as HC ( I feel the same way about BOB) I knew when it came to but cutting time RS would throw Kubiak under the bus.

Today BOB the GM is trying to clean up a decade of the mess RS left him. This I think BOB the GM can do. BOB the HC isn't good enough to win a championship despite BOB the GM's efforts. IMHO

Hopefully I'm wrong

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
This is the state of the NFL today and sports in general. It's one reason why not as many people are watching sports.
Actually I was complaining about how the board is being moderated, not about sports in general. My disinterest in sports (in general) has always been there, I'm more-or-less a kind of pro-football fan for Houston area teams and not much else. And because of my dislike for OB my interest in the Texans is even less than it was before. Nothing to do with politics. Which we can't discuss. Supposedly.

What's your guess on how many posts get deleted from this thread? I'm guessing three. Of course we'll never know because you aren't notified when your posts are deleted. You just log in and find you're missing some posts you've made.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Serious question: let’s say there is a total meltdown this season. Is that enough to end this? Idk that owner has the gumption to make a change.

Highly doubt it because they have given OB so much power. I'm pretty sure Obrien has several cards in his back pocket to use just in there is a meltdown

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
What about no politics is not understandable? I don’t get it. And please, if you see a political post...just report it. Don’t engage the post with a reply. Unless it’s through the conversation tab. Because those posts will be deleted as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Actually I was complaining about how the board is being moderated, not about sports in general. My disinterest in sports (in general) has always been there, I'm more-or-less a kind of pro-football fan for Houston area teams and not much else. And because of my dislike for OB my interest in the Texans is even less than it was before. Nothing to do with politics. Which we can't discuss. Supposedly.

What's your guess on how many posts get deleted from this thread? I'm guessing three. Of course we'll never know because you aren't notified when your posts are deleted. You just log in and find you're missing some posts you've made.
Probably 3

What gets me is you also dont get a chance to find out which mod deleted your posts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What about no politics is not understandable? I don’t get it. And please, if you see a political post...just report it. Don’t engage the post with a reply. Unless it’s through the conversation tab. Because those posts will be deleted as well.
Whose fault is it that sports/politics have intersected? It's almost impossible to discuss the future cap ramifications of the NFL siding with BLM/ANTIFA and not talk about the politics of today's world.

This is God'ells NFL we currently live in, does it surprise anybody that things have gotten totally political under his leadership. This goes back to the Pats/Saints/Vikings etc... gates incidents and how he handled them. Not to mention some of the bogus player suspensions.

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Probably 3

What gets me is you also dont get a chance to find out which mod deleted your posts.
They don't have it set up for auto-notify when deleting posts. If they move a post, you'll get a auto-notification. Mod actions should always be documented, unless they don't want to. They can run the board any way they want.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

Instead of publicly blowing hot air about how the forum is moderated , how about you report the posts that are outside the rules and we'll drop kick them into the trash heap ?

Don't quote them .... cause we'll delete that too.

#Report.

Its as easy as fishin ....

As for the courtesy of a notification .... when its the same 3-4 people over and over again , that courtesy isn't extended. Its more trouble on our part.

The rules are pretty clear.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They don't have it set up for auto-notify when deleting posts. If they move a post, you'll get a auto-notification. Mod actions should always be documented, unless they don't want to. They can run the board any way they want.
Quoted for truth and they seem to like anonymity.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Serious question: let’s say there is a total meltdown this season. Is that enough to end this? Idk that owner has the gumption to make a change.
That's a very good question and I really haven't a clue if a meltdown this year would provoke a response from ownership. I'd hope it would .... but they have been proven to be reluctant to make changes in the past and then those changes were half hearted.

Then you have the money aspect , OB's due some millions over the next two seasons - Would they really pay him to leave when they are already hemorrhaging money due to the effects of Covid.

I don't think 6-10 gets the job done , it takes something worse than that .... 4 or fewer wins but I don't think that's reasonable , Watson's going to drag them across the finish line a few times but I think 6-10 is reasonably possible .... but likely the cockroach survives that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How many times have I personally called you to tell you I Was removing or modifying a post ?
Plenty of times and I certainly appreciate it. It's always good visiting with you. In fact Lucky deleted one of my posts the other day, I asked him why in the thread and although I disagreed with his reasoning I appreciated him PM'ing me and letting me know why he did what he did. DB does the same. I wish all of the Mods would follow y'alls lead and do this.

Overall the moderating has greatly improved. I know I have strong opinions that aren't in lock-step with most of the rest of the MB just because my opinion is that DW4 wont ever bring a Lombardi to Kirby regardless of who the HC is and some take this like it's a personal insult.

Good Job by most of the Mods

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Whose fault is it that sports/politics have intersected? It's almost impossible to discuss the future cap ramifications of the NFL siding with BLM/ANTIFA and not talk about the politics of today's world.

This is God'ells NFL we currently live in, does it surprise anybody that things have gotten totally political under his leadership. This goes back to the Pats/Saints/Vikings etc... gates incidents and how he handled them. Not to mention some of the bogus player suspensions.
You can discuss the ramifications of lowered ratings without debating the cause. The cause is irrelevant when talking about the accounting numbers of salary cap management.

Then blame me for ALL of it. I don't really care. I've been called a nazi more times than I'd count in the past couple of months because of the stupidity. It makes me laugh. I'm constantly amused at their petty rage over friggin' ENTERTAINMENT.

I've told my friends in real life that I'm a nazi now because I'm trying to help get a forum back to its purpose. It is called Texans Talk, after all. :thinking:

I'd say some folks should get more fulfilling lives if entertainers are so dern important to them that their mere opinions destroy their fragile mental states.

Of all the old timers on here that I though would have understood, it was you. You've been a mod. You've experienced a subject-dedicated forum devolve. But whatever. Whine on. :glasshalffull:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
You can discuss the ramifications of lowered ratings without debating the cause. The cause is irrelevant when talking about the accounting numbers of salary cap management.

Then blame me for ALL of it. I don't really care. I've been called a nazi more times than I'd count in the past couple of months because of the stupidity. It makes me laugh. I'm constantly amused at their petty rage over friggin' ENTERTAINMENT.

I've told my friends in real life that I'm a nazi now because I'm trying to help get a forum back to its purpose. It is called Texans Talk, after all. :thinking:

I'd say some folks should get more fulfilling lives if entertainers are so dern important to them that their mere opinions destroy their fragile mental states.

Of all the old timers on here that I though would have understood, it was you. You've been a mod. You've experienced a subject-dedicated forum devolve. But whatever. Whine on. :glasshalffull:
Yes, I have seen a subject-dedicated forum devolve before, both as a mod and as a poster. I am not criticizing the intent or the motives, but the way in which it was done. I have seen this problem fixed before. You keep politics segregated (as was being done in NSZ). You warn the violators in a post or PM, after that you suspend their account for a period of time, and lastly when all else fails you delete their account. After deleting their account the very persistent ones will return with a new name and start their crap all over again, which means you (as the mod) start your stuff all over again. Been there, done that, and it (mostly) works. Those few persistent ones will eventually find somewhere else to go. You could even stop a few of the non-internet savvy folks by blocking IPs, which as you know, is ineffective on folks that have set up virtual IPs for their internet usage. Sometimes being a mod requires effort, effort that is usually not recognized and is free labor on your part and time out of your day. And, by the way, thanks for your effort. (Seriously, that was a real compliment.)

It's the internet. Whine on. :glasshalffull:

If I was really that pissed about all this, I would just simply quit posting here. But I like posting here. I also like bitching about everything, including the internet, the Texans, the weather, and people who don't agree with me. LOL